High-quality protein powder, combined with delicious espresso make these Healthy Mocha Protein Bars your new go-to snack recipe. They’re easy to whip up, made from simple ingredients and are perfect to throw into your bag for life on the run.
I have a weird relationship with protein bars. In theory, I’m not the biggest fan of using protein powders to replace other whole-food proteins in your diet. In reality, life is far too hectic too hectic to casually whip up a grilled chicken breast or hard boiled egg.
I’d rather have a healthy protein bar ready to go rather than bank on having time to make a healthy snack. And let’s be honest, I’m barely home enough for that to be a possibility.
So protein bars are kind of my jam. Bars and balls are my go-to on-the-run snacks and if you were to open up my purse right now you’d likely find at least two varieties. If you struggle with “hanger”, I highly recommend whipping up a batch of these Mocha Protein Bars on the weekend to snack on through the week.
This certainly isn’t the first and definitely won’t be the last protein bar recipe around here. I oftentimes find myself reaching for my Cinnamon Roll Protein Bars or Almond Joy Protein Bars, but have been feeling like I needed to change things up.
The idea for these mocha flavored bars came from a session we had with a coffee sommelier at the Nespresso booth at The Rogers Cup in Montreal.
Nespresso invited their coffee connoisseurs to come meet Elyse Lambert (a coffee sommelier) to learn more about coffee pairings and enjoy some tennis. With so much coffee around, the tennis was a total after-thought for me though. I was all about the coffee!
One of the main things I learned was how to really bring out the flavors of the beans by pairing the coffee with specific foods. I can’t say I’ve ever slurped, smelled and paired coffee before but it was amazing the depth of flavor you experienced when you’re taught how to really sense and taste the coffee.
And not surprisingly, coffee + chocolate makes a pretty epic combo!
It was such a blast to meet the whole Nespresso team (who not surprisingly are all amazing!) and learn even more about my favorite hot beverage. And now I have an even more amazing way to enjoy your morning cup of joe, with these Healthy Mocha Protein Bars!
- Add dates to a food processor or high-powered blender and process until broken down into pea-sized pieces.
- Add in nuts and continue processing until nuts are also broken down into pea-sized pieces.
- Add in protein powder, espresso and sea salt and process until all ingredients have been completely broken down and combined. Dough should be powdery but sticky if pressed together.
- Add in non-dairy milk, 1 tbsp at a time until dough comes together into a sticky ball. You don't want it to be too wet though.
- Line an 8 x 8 inch baking sheet with parchment paper and press dough into pan, firmly until totally flattened across the top.
- Place in freezer to set for 15 minutes.
- Remove from freezer and cut into 12 bars.
- Melt chocolate chips in microwave and then drizzle chocolate over bars.
- Store in the fridge for up to 2 weeks or longer in freezer.
Disclaimer: This post is sponsored by Nespresso – Canada. I was compensated for my time, however all opinions are my own. Thanks for supporting the brands that help make THM possible and bring more delicious recipes your way!
*Nespresso’s new line of limited edition grand crus Tinto de Colombia (for the VertuoLine machines) and Cafezinho do Brasil (for the OriginalLine machines) are released at Nespresso boutiques and online on August 29th! I tried them both at the Roger’s Cup and they’re amazing. Be sure to stay tuned!
Have you ever learned about coffee + food pairings? Are you a mocha fan?
JOIN THE THM NEWSLETTER
Join 5000+ members of the THM Community to get access to exclusive recipes, healthy lifestyle tips and behind-the-scenes news from our team!