bars gluten-free snacks vegan

Healthy Mocha Protein Bars

August 9, 2016

High-quality protein powder, combined with delicious espresso make these Healthy Mocha Protein Bars your new go-to snack recipe. They’re easy to whip up, made from simple ingredients and are perfect to throw into your bag for life on the run.

I have a weird relationship with protein bars. In theory, I’m not the biggest fan of using protein powders to replace other whole-food proteins in your diet. In reality, life is far too hectic too hectic to casually whip up a grilled chicken breast or hard boiled egg.

I’d rather have a healthy protein bar ready to go rather than bank on having time to make a healthy snack. And let’s be honest, I’m barely home enough for that to be a possibility.

So protein bars are kind of my jam. Bars and balls are my go-to on-the-run snacks and if you were to open up my purse right now you’d likely find at least two varieties. If you struggle with “hanger”, I highly recommend whipping up a batch of these Mocha Protein Bars on the weekend to snack on through the week.

Nespresso-2This certainly isn’t the first and definitely won’t be the last protein bar recipe around here. I oftentimes find myself reaching for my Cinnamon Roll Protein Bars or Almond Joy Protein Bars, but have been feeling like I needed to change things up.

The idea for these mocha flavored bars came from a session we had with a coffee sommelier at the Nespresso booth at The Rogers Cup in Montreal.

Nespresso invited their coffee connoisseurs to come meet Elyse Lambert (a coffee sommelier) to learn more about coffee pairings and enjoy some tennis. With so much coffee around, the tennis was a total after-thought for me though. I was all about the coffee!

High-quality protein powder, combined with delicious espresso make these Healthy Mocha Protein Bars your new go-to snack recipe. They're easy to whip up, made from simple ingredients and are perfect to throw into your bag for life on the run.One of the main things I learned was how to really bring out the flavors of the beans by pairing the coffee with specific foods. I can’t say I’ve ever slurped, smelled and paired coffee before but it was amazing the depth of flavor you experienced when you’re taught how to really sense and taste the coffee.

And not surprisingly, coffee + chocolate makes a pretty epic combo!

It was such a blast to meet the whole Nespresso team (who not surprisingly are all amazing!) and learn even more about my favorite hot beverage. And now I have an even more amazing way to enjoy your morning cup of joe, with these Healthy Mocha Protein Bars!

Healthy Mocha Protein Bars

PREP TIME 10 mins

1. Add dates to a food processor or high-powered blender and process until broken down into pea-sized pieces.
  2. Add in nuts and continue processing until nuts are also broken down into pea-sized pieces.
  3. Add in protein powder, espresso and sea salt and process until all ingredients have been completely broken down and combined. Dough should be powdery but sticky if pressed together.
  4. Add in non-dairy milk, 1 tbsp at a time until dough comes together into a sticky ball. You don't want it to be too wet though.
  5. Line an 8 x 8 inch baking sheet with parchment paper and press dough into pan, firmly until totally flattened across the top.
  6. Place in freezer to set for 15 minutes.
  7. Remove from freezer and cut into 12 bars.
  8. Melt chocolate chips in microwave and then drizzle chocolate over bars.
  9. Store in the fridge for up to 2 weeks or longer in freezer.

Notes

Feel free to use another flavor of protein powder and add 2 tbsp raw cacao to add the chocolate flavor. *or 1 tbsp espresso powder

Nespresso-logo-goodDisclaimer: This post is sponsored by Nespresso – Canada. I was compensated for my time, however all opinions are my own. Thanks for supporting the brands that help make THM possible and bring more delicious recipes your way!

*Nespresso’s new line of limited edition grand crus Tinto de Colombia (for the VertuoLine machines) and Cafezinho do Brasil (for the OriginalLine machines) are released at Nespresso boutiques and online on August 29th! I tried them both at the Roger’s Cup and they’re amazing. Be sure to stay tuned!

Have you ever learned about coffee + food pairings? Are you a mocha fan?

dixya @food, pleasure, and health
    August 9, 2016 at 6:18 am

im the same way when it comes to protein powder..but lately i have been mixing it into my overnight oats. love the idea of coffee in protein bars 🙂
    dixya @food, pleasure, and health recently posted…Mango Lassi Popsicles

August 9, 2016 at 7:03 pm

great idea on the OO! I’ve been making smoothies with protein powder and it really does help keep me fuller for longer!

barbara
      August 9, 2016 at 9:46 pm

I have been doing protien powder and overnight oats for a couple of years now, I use my muesli that I make up as overnight oats. I quite eating it for a coulple of weeks and I have to say I missed my mix, Oh I almost forgot I also add a tbsp of steel oats to it. I myself think it is grand, wont eat it any other way. Let me know if you would like to see my muesli mix that I make,

Lee
    August 9, 2016 at 8:04 am

I expect as least one of these wrapped up in a cute little baggie for me on Friday. Plz. Thx.
    Lee recently posted…One Pan Meal: Coconut-Crusted Chicken Fingers with Rosemary Garlic Potato Wedges

Alexis @ Hummusapien
    August 9, 2016 at 8:08 am

You’re looking like quite the model lately, my dear. You know my obsession runs real deep with your mint choc protein bars so I’m sure these will be no different!

Patricia @Sweet and Strong
    August 9, 2016 at 10:09 am

Coffee and chocolate is one of my favorite combos! I always keep a few protein bars with me when I’m on the go, but prefer making snacks at home from my own ingredients.
    Patricia @Sweet and Strong recently posted…Spicy Jalapeno Margaritas

Danielle
    August 9, 2016 at 11:20 am

Espresso powder, I’m in! These sound super tasty. I agree, as much as I try to avoid protein bars and packaged snacks… I don’t leave home without food in my bag! Haha.
    Danielle recently posted…Portland Marathon Training Reflections: Week 8

Lindsey Bomgren
    August 9, 2016 at 7:44 pm

Seriously you’re too adorable in that pic at the Nespresso event! And these bars; I gotta try!
    Lindsey Bomgren recently posted…5 delicious and healthy spoonfuls of dessert

Stella @ Stellicious Life
    August 10, 2016 at 6:16 am

Sounds delicious! Can these be made with liquid espresso or only instant coffee or ground coffee?

You look terrific on that shot, loved it when I first saw it on IG 🙂 And what a cool program to participate in a coffee tasting with a sommelier! 🙂
    Stella @ Stellicious Life recently posted…Blueberry Cheesecake (Gluten and Refined Sugar-free)

August 15, 2016 at 7:33 am

Thanks babes! Wouldn’t recommend using liquid espresso as it will really throw off the texture!

ACKTIVE LIFE
    August 10, 2016 at 6:40 am

You are going to be in Nantucket this weekend??? You better email me, so we can maybe meet up for a quick HI! I would love to meet you in person if you have time…Safe travels to the island…XOXO
    ACKTIVE LIFE recently posted…#REALWomenWrinkle

August 10, 2016 at 5:16 pm

Hey lovely! I’m there on a press trip so I don’t have much flexibility with my schedule but I’ll be at Boston Pops and would love to see you there! Shoot me an email so we can connect 🙂

August 12, 2016 at 8:10 pm

Ah, protein bars were an old favorite too (ahem, Quest bars!)! I do agree that these are so much better for you–any whole protein foods are ideal!
    Cassie recently posted…50 Facts About Me (Lifestyle Edition)

Jessica
    February 1, 2017 at 9:28 am

These sound delicious. I normally hate protein powder in smoothies so I’m trying to find ways to eat it other than smoothies. I have a couple of questions. Can I use 1 tbsp espresso powder instead of the Nespresso OriginalLine Cafezinho Capsule? I think that’s what the star was for but I couldn’t tell.
    Can I use regular milk and regular chocolate chips in place of the non-dairy ones?