dinner gluten-free paleo seafood

3 Ingredient Salmon

April 24, 2014

Remember that time I recapped how much poor C suffers being in a relationship with me? Well I mentioned how I insisted on reminding him every 10 seconds that the salmon he was eating was fresh. I rarely splurge on fresh fish (when it isn’t on sale), but when I do you better bet I’m gonna tell you allllll about it. What I failed to mention was how when I got home from the store my motivation to cook was at an all-time low.

This is sooooo typical. I spend way too money at the grocery store only to come home and be too lazy to cook. I have high standards so if I know I’m gonna half-ass a meal, I’d rather just order in from one of the 100000 restaurants around me.

3 Ingredient SalmonBut not this time! NO! I was determined to make a minimal effort meal that tasted as legit as it cost. I threw some rice in the rice cooker, chopped up some brocs and then proceeded to stare at the beautiful salmon trying to decide what to do with it for a solid 5 minutes. I decided to squeeze a lemon over it but quickly got sucked in by Game of Thrones and totally forgot about the fish.

An hour later I returned to the kitchen and had a slight freak-out that I forgot about the salmon before ransacking my spice cupboard for what to put on it. My brain power was minimal so I stuck to a basic Italian seasoning blend and was a little heavy handed. 500 degrees and 10 minutes later DELICIOUS salmon!

3 Ingredient Salmon 2Not only did I spend the entire meal talking about my fresh fish splurge but also repeatedly patted myself on the back for mastering salmon with just 3 ingredients.

Then C reminded me I used salt and pepper and those technically count as ingredients too. Dreams shattered! Here I was thinking I was the queen of 3 ingredient salmon when in reality it was 5. I’m choosing to ignore salt and pepper for today because that’s basically like counting oxygen as an ingredient. I don’t care what you say, this is 3 ingredient salmon!

3 Ingredient Salmon

• Total Time: 20 minutes

Scale
  • 1.5 lbs of fresh salmon (cut into 4 pieces)
  • juice ½ large lemon (at least ¼ cup)
  • 2 tsp Italian seasoning
  • salt and pepper, to taste

1. Place salmon a shallow pan and squeeze lemon juice over pieces. Make sure each piece is coated.
  2. Let marinate in fridge for 1 hour (optional but if you have the time let it marinate)
  3. Preheat oven to 500 degrees F.
  4. Place salmon pieces, skin side down on a parchment lined baking sheet or pan.
  5. Cover each piece with italian seasoning and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
  6. Bake for 10 mins.
  7. Serve immediately.

Nutrition

• Serving Size: 4

3 Ingredient Salmon 4Do salt and pepper count as ingredients? What’s your go-to 3 ingredient meal?

April 24, 2014 at 9:16 am

Replace italian seasoning with dill and you have my go-to 3 ingredient recipe 😉 And salt and pepper are up there with using oil to cook something in for a recipe – they’re freebies!

Samantha @ The Faithful Runner
    April 24, 2014 at 9:11 am

Yum! I would agree that it’s three ingredients. 😉 Thanks for sharing this. I love having more Paleo recipes for my book! 🙂

April 24, 2014 at 9:09 am

Can you believe that I have never had salmon? This is so easy that I want to try it now, especially if it means I can eat it over a giant bed of rice! My favorite three ingredient meal is greek yogurt, chicken, breadcrumbs…yummmmm!

Holly @ EatGreatBEGreat
    April 24, 2014 at 9:03 am

Love the simplicity of this recipe, but it still sounds so flavorful and yummy!

Nope, salt/pepper definitely don’t count as ingredients. They’re kind of just a given!

Kim @ Hungry Healthy Girl
    April 24, 2014 at 8:39 am

I was just thinking the other day about how I need more salmon in my life. I used to eat it all the time, but haven’t had it in a while. Love how easy this is and I’m going to be giving it a try this weekend!

Alex @ Alex Runs For Food
    April 24, 2014 at 8:30 am

Salt and Pepper never count as ingredients!!! They are freebies 🙂 The salmon makes me wish I was on the coast where I could get amazing fresh seafood…. dang minnesota… at least for a price we can get it at the grocery store… but it’s still not the same!

April 24, 2014 at 8:34 am

That and the snow are the only reasons I’m not living in Minnesota! My bf is from Edina so I looooove visiting. But your winters make our Canadian winters look like summer! Can’t wait to visit again in June when it’s nice 🙂

lindsay
    April 24, 2014 at 7:56 am

i think we are flavor twins, i just made this last night. Salmon is so hearty and it just needs a few ingredients. LOVE the aroma of the spices too!
    p.s.
    can we ferment salmon? JK!

April 24, 2014 at 8:12 am

bahahahahaha I bet someone has done that somewhere…top it with enough Kimchi and I might eat it!

April 24, 2014 at 7:45 am

Stupid iPad! Disregard that first comment…

Oats, almond butter, and yogurt are my go to meal 😉 And we never count salt because that’s a given, and then I would have to count the water that I cook my oats in too, and that’s just goofy.

Is it horrible that I don’t like fish?

April 24, 2014 at 8:34 am

I hate to say this, but yes! You are seriously missing out!!!

April 24, 2014 at 7:43 am

O

Kim @ BusyBod
    April 24, 2014 at 6:50 am

Salt and pepper totally don’t count. Victory is yours!

Our go-to three ingredient meal is actually John’s, not mine. Frozen asian veggie mix + eggs + soy sauce = super easy and delicious stir fry. Not as classy as salmon but still delicious!

April 24, 2014 at 8:35 am

Hilarious that salmon would be considered classy lol. You know what’s not classy? The guy in front of me at the fish counter asking the smell the salmon before buying it haha

Christele @ health n horizons
    April 24, 2014 at 6:18 am

Definitely three ingredient salmon 🙂 I started making salmon this way when I introduced it to my girl and wanted an upgrade from steamed bland salmon. It was, however, orange juice , rosemary and olive oil. Four ingredients, but who’s counting when it’s that easy, good-for you and delicious?

April 24, 2014 at 5:35 am

Salt and pepper do NOT count as ingredients. Ever. Ever ever ever. Even cooking oil and red pepper flakes and garlic salt don’t count in my books.

Three ingredients. Toast + butter+ cheese. Let’s ignore the obvious here..

April 24, 2014 at 8:35 am

Neither do potatoes or cheese right? Oh and blowdryers…

Tim
      May 29, 2020 at 9:41 pm

I would like to know why this recipe does not show the calorie content?

1 2 3 4