dinner gluten-free paleo seafood

3 Ingredient Salmon

April 24, 2014

Remember that time I recapped how much poor C suffers being in a relationship with me? Well I mentioned how I insisted on reminding him every 10 seconds that the salmon he was eating was fresh. I rarely splurge on fresh fish (when it isn’t on sale), but when I do you better bet I’m gonna tell you allllll about it. What I failed to mention was how when I got home from the store my motivation to cook was at an all-time low.

This is sooooo typical. I spend way too money at the grocery store only to come home and be too lazy to cook. I have high standards so if I know I’m gonna half-ass a meal, I’d rather just order in from one of the 100000 restaurants around me.

3 Ingredient SalmonBut not this time! NO! I was determined to make a minimal effort meal that tasted as legit as it cost. I threw some rice in the rice cooker, chopped up some brocs and then proceeded to stare at the beautiful salmon trying to decide what to do with it for a solid 5 minutes. I decided to squeeze a lemon over it but quickly got sucked in by Game of Thrones and totally forgot about the fish.

An hour later I returned to the kitchen and had a slight freak-out that I forgot about the salmon before ransacking my spice cupboard for what to put on it. My brain power was minimal so I stuck to a basic Italian seasoning blend and was a little heavy handed. 500 degrees and 10 minutes later DELICIOUS salmon!

3 Ingredient Salmon 2Not only did I spend the entire meal talking about my fresh fish splurge but also repeatedly patted myself on the back for mastering salmon with just 3 ingredients.

Then C reminded me I used salt and pepper and those technically count as ingredients too. Dreams shattered! Here I was thinking I was the queen of 3 ingredient salmon when in reality it was 5. I’m choosing to ignore salt and pepper for today because that’s basically like counting oxygen as an ingredient. I don’t care what you say, this is 3 ingredient salmon!

3 Ingredient Salmon

• Total Time: 20 minutes

Scale
  • 1.5 lbs of fresh salmon (cut into 4 pieces)
  • juice ½ large lemon (at least ¼ cup)
  • 2 tsp Italian seasoning
  • salt and pepper, to taste

1. Place salmon a shallow pan and squeeze lemon juice over pieces. Make sure each piece is coated.
  2. Let marinate in fridge for 1 hour (optional but if you have the time let it marinate)
  3. Preheat oven to 500 degrees F.
  4. Place salmon pieces, skin side down on a parchment lined baking sheet or pan.
  5. Cover each piece with italian seasoning and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
  6. Bake for 10 mins.
  7. Serve immediately.

Nutrition

• Serving Size: 4

3 Ingredient Salmon 4Do salt and pepper count as ingredients? What’s your go-to 3 ingredient meal?

April 25, 2014 at 8:51 pm

Salt and pepper do not count as ingredients. I would say I also have a 3-ingredient salmon: salmon, coconut aminos, and this Asian blend I have from Costco. Why is salmon SoOoOoOoOo DELICIOUS?

[email protected]
    April 25, 2014 at 11:16 am

No they don’t. Just as desserts don’t count as meals. Actually, dinner doesn’t count as a meal, it’s only a reason to have the real meal which is dessert.
    So sorry. My brain is kind of in weekend mode (you know what that means)….
    3 ingredients: greek yogurt, almond butter, raw cacao and stevia. AB doesn’t count.

Tina @ Tina's Chic Corner
    April 25, 2014 at 10:22 am

Haha…I’ve been guilty of the same. I guess I spend all my engergy excited about the ingredients at the store and then get pooped out when it’s time to actually use them.
    Love love love salmon and this is my favorite way to prepare it. Simple but the most delicious. 🙂
    Have a lovely weekeend! 🙂

Mary Frances
    April 25, 2014 at 9:43 am

I’m ok with you telling me all about it – there are only three ingredients! Which means, I totally got this. Salmon is a favorite around here, so this is a winner!

April 25, 2014 at 7:07 am

Salmon with lemon and herbs is one of my go to easy meals too! It’s so simple, but always so good. My sesame soy tofu is another easy 3 ingredient favourite of mine.

Miss Polkadot
    April 25, 2014 at 5:43 am

Never mind that I don’t like fish but still need to chime in. Because no, salt and pepper aren’t ingredients. Can we just agree that no spices are ingredient? Not to get into counting or anything but even back in the day I’d only consider an ingredient an ingredient when it had calories. And I never bothered counting spice calories though I’ve heard some dieters do. No calories = no ingredient. Because techincally Italian seasoning itself would have more than three ingredients already if spices counted so … you get my point. Wow, look at me just rambling about spices in a whole paragraph.
    My go-to three ingredient meal is banana oat bran with almond butter. If we don’t count cocoa as an ingredient because it’s a must.

April 24, 2014 at 10:47 pm

Solid question…. I’m going with no, so I agree that your salmon recipe is indeed 3 ingredients!

Lexi @ Lexi's Clean Kitchen
    April 24, 2014 at 10:19 pm

THIS IS SO DELISH!!!! Love Italian seasoning on everything. Will definitely make this.

Anna
    April 24, 2014 at 9:51 pm

Made this tonight and it was so delicious! We make salmon a couple of times a week, but often throw it on the skillet with some spices. For some reason I’ve always found it a bit too bland out of the oven but this one was just so easy and so good. Thanks for making dinner easy tonight!

Gabby @ the veggie nook
    April 24, 2014 at 8:53 pm

Salt and pepper count because they are crucial BUT they do not count in ingredient numbers because they are a given. Don’t worry. 3 ingredient salmon is yours to claim!!

Amanda
    April 24, 2014 at 8:39 pm

PB&J 🙂

Polly @ Tasty Food Project
    April 24, 2014 at 5:36 pm

That salmon looks delicious! I love how it only requires 3 ingredients!

I like to use salt, pepper, and granulated garlic a lot when I cook!

1 2 3 4