chips Fall Featured gluten-free paleo snacks vegan

How to Make Apple Chips

September 27, 2020

A tutorial for an easy, delicious, 2-ingredient snack idea – baked apple chips. Just slice and bake, no dehydrator required or any fancy equipment. Just apples, cinnamon and your oven to make these delicious apple chips.

Do you remember when apple chips hit the health world? I was 100% addicted to Bare Apple Chips and spent a tad too much money on the snack that was gone in minutes… so naturally I took things into my own hands and recreated my own version at home!

I love visiting apple orchards in the fall. I honestly have no clue what that looks like this year… maybe just grab-n-go apples? It’s a great way to support local farmers and stock up on delicious apples!

In my opinion, you can never have enough apples. We typically always have apples in our house and I designate them to raw snacking, baked goods and apple chips! This recipe is super simple, all you need is an oven and three hours of patience. Thankfully this recipe is hands-off so you don’t need to sit and stare into the oven for all three hours. No fancy equipment either. I simply don’t have space for a dehydrator and a mandoline!

Apple Chip Ingredients:

• Apples
  • Cinnamon

No Fancy Equipment!

Like I said, I don’t have space for fancy equipment and prefer recipes that don’t require them…except for the Instant Pot which I’m obsessed with! That being said, you absolutely do NOT need a dehydrator to make apple chips. Your oven will work fine and is equally as hands-off.

I wouldn’t recommend using a mandoline to cut your apples. I find it cuts them too thin and you don’t end up with much of a chip. So just cut your apples thinly and don’t stress too much about it because they will crisp up in the oven.

What Type of Apples to Use

You really can’t go wrong with apple choice! If you like your apple chips to be on the sweeter side, grab a naturally sweet apple like fuji, gala or honeycrisp. If you want a more tart or neutral tasting apple, try a granny smith, pink lady or McIntosh.

Feeling fancy? Cut up a variety of apple types! Seriously – all apples work!

How to Make Apple Chips [In The Oven]

STEP 1: Preheat the oven to 230ºF.

STEP 2: Cut your apples thinly and remove any seeds. No need to peel or core. Place thinly sliced apples on two baking sheets lined with parchment paper or a silicone mat. Sprinkle the apple slices with cinnamon.

STEP 3: Bake the apples in the preheated oven for one hour. Remove and flip the slices. Sprinkle cinnamon on the other side.

STEP 4: Bake for another hour. Leave the apples in the oven but turn the oven off and allow it to cool completely. This typically takes an additional 1-2 hours. Don’t skip this step! This is when they crisp up.

How to Eat Apple Chips

This section should maybe be dedicated to “how not to eat a batch of apple chips in one setting” but I’ll share some fun ways to enjoy apple chips instead!

• By the handful!
  • Dipped in peanut or cashew butter.
  • Crumbled over a salad or smoothie bowl.
  • Mixed with granola
  • Add them to a charcuterie board

Baked Cinnamon Apple Chips

A tutorial for an easy, delicious, 2-ingredient snack idea – baked apple chips. Just slice and bake, no dehydrator required!

• Author: Davida Lederle
  • Prep Time: 5 minutes
  • Cook Time: 3 hours
  • Total Time: 3 hours
  • Yield: 2-4 servings 1x
  • Category: Snack
  • Method: Bake
  • Cuisine: American
  • Diet: Vegan

Scale
  • 2 large apples OR 3 small apples (see apple types above)
  • cinnamon (if desired)

1. Preheat oven to 230 degrees F.
  2. Slice apples thinly
  3. Place thinly sliced apples on 2 baking sheets lined with parchment or a silicone mat.
  4. Sprinkle apples with cinnamon.
  5. Bake apples for 1 hour.
  6. Remove from oven and flip apples. Sprinkle other side with cinnamon.
  7. Bake for another hour.
  8. Leave apples in oven but turn the oven off and allow them to cool completely inside oven. At least 30 minutes-2 hours. They will crisp up in this time so check on them.
  9. Store in an airtight container.

Keywords: Apple chips, baked apple chips, how to make apple chips

Like this post? Here are more apple recipes you might enjoy:

Sarah Cook
    September 24, 2013 at 5:42 pm

I’ve never tried apple chips before but I’m positive I would love them. I think they would be great dipped in peanut butter. Beautiful pictures too. That stacking job is pretty impressive! 🙂

Davida @TheHealthyMaven
      September 25, 2013 at 12:43 am

I dipped them in AB and they were like heaven in my mouth! I have no idea how the pics turned out so well…my lucky day I guess!

September 24, 2013 at 5:40 pm

These look good!!
    Could I do the same thing in my dehydrator?
    And how do you slice the apples so thinly – I’m pretty sure I will end up cutting myself!

Davida @TheHealthyMaven
      September 25, 2013 at 12:41 am

You could definitely use a dehydrator! Couldn’t tell you exactly how since I don’t own one but the Bare Chips are dehydrated.

They don’t need to be razor thin and with a sharp knife and some careful hands you should be fine!

Run like a G!
    September 24, 2013 at 4:48 pm

How easy is that????!?!?
    Making these!!!!

Brittany
    September 24, 2013 at 3:52 pm

I love homemade creations of expensive store finds!! These look AMAZING!

eatgreatbegreat
    September 24, 2013 at 3:35 pm

Love this idea! What a perfect healthy snack to take to work!

Danielle @Labelsarefortincans
    September 24, 2013 at 3:22 pm

Haha I can see how you would be sucked into buying them! They sound so yummy – but these also look delicious!

I’ve gotten pretty good at not buying snacks I can make myself – I try to only buy them if I’m in a pinch and really need something.

jessiebearwhatwillyou
    September 24, 2013 at 2:27 pm

Love all the fall recipes lately 😀

September 24, 2013 at 1:56 pm

These look so good! I’ve tried to make banana chips before, but that failed miserably so maybe I’ll have better luck with apples 😉 I’ve only ever seen the Barefruit chips in Granny Smith, which are basically the only apple that I’m not a big fan of…although I stole a chip or two from Amanda at HLS and I can see why people get obsessed with them.

Davida @TheHealthyMaven
      September 25, 2013 at 12:40 am

I think the fact that these were freshly picked McIntoshes helped with their deliciousness 🙂

Meghan @ fitnesscrEATures
    September 24, 2013 at 1:49 pm

I could definitely handle three hours of baking with one flip in between! I tried making banana chips this way once and it was awful…. They were soggy and sticky and messy (maybe because of the amount of sugar in bananas?). These seem doable though so yipee! Also, I love how you talked about the apples – you sacrificed them to the oven! You are too adorable. I buy veggie chips that cost about $5 a bag which is super excessive so I only buy them like, once or twice a month. 🙂

Davida @TheHealthyMaven
      September 25, 2013 at 12:39 am

I have faith you can handle these!! No clue how they make banana chips but damnnnn those are good! Also have you ever tried beet chips??? Those are amazeballs!

Ang @ Nutty for Life
    September 24, 2013 at 1:34 pm

I’ve always wondered how to make apple chips! I discovered the packaged kind a few years ago and went through a quick addiction period. Then I realized you could make them yourself and spend less money, but I never tried. Thanks for this!

September 24, 2013 at 1:23 pm

Um, hello my little professional photographer!! These pictures are amazing!!! I can only imagine that the apple chips are just as good. I have been wanting to try this, actually, but haven’t for two reasons – 1) I’m just bad with a knife, and I’m not sure I could cut these thinly enough and 2) it’s been so hot that the thought of having my oven on for hours has deterred me. I might need to get over number one since number two is no longer a problem and try these bad boys.

Thanks for linking up!! 🙂

Davida @TheHealthyMaven
      September 25, 2013 at 12:38 am

Honestly I have no idea how these pictures turned out so well. I guess I got lucky!!!

The oven is on 230 so it doesn’t heat up too much. But yes cooler temps make it more feasible.
      Thanks for hosting us lovely!

Amy @ Elephant Eats
    September 24, 2013 at 1:18 pm

These look JUST like the ones in the bag! So glad you found a way to reproduce your favorite snack. I agree, $4 is def too much for something that gets eaten so quickly 🙂

Davida @TheHealthyMaven
      September 25, 2013 at 12:38 am

In the amount of time it takes me to consume these (under 5 mins) $4 is NOT worth it!

1 2 3 4 5