These Black Bean Lava Cakes are a healthy dessert that will trick your loved ones into eating their beans! No one will ever know these chocolate lava cakes are made from black beans!
Remember that time I wrote a whole post on how lemon was my favourite cake flavour and chocolate was so cliche for Valentine’s Day? I lied.
As soon as I pulled these babies out of the oven, it was love at first sight. When I dug my fork in and the chocolate came oozing out, I was hooked. And then there’s the fact that the main ingredient is black beans…I have found my soulmate.
These cakes of goodness got me thinking about love at first sight and the idea of a soulmate. After some deep thinking and 2 lava cakes, I experienced some major epiphanies. I believe you can sense a person’s energy within minutes of first meeting them and that chemistry is a very real thing. I also don’t believe that we all have a single person we are meant to be with. I don’t think everyone can be compatible but I do think we each have at least 5 people in this gigantic world we can make it work with.
Don’t get me wrong, I’m not going all sister-wife on you (it’s totally cool with me if you’re into that!) I just think finding 1 in 7 billion is kind of a tricky task.
Just kidding 😉 You all know who I’m talking about and if you ask nicely I’ll tell you the story of how we met. Let’s just say I got more than a diploma on graduation night!Print
Black Bean Lava Cakes
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Total Time: 35 minutes
- Yield: 4 cakes 1x
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Bake
- Diet: Vegan
- 1 flax egg (1 tbsp ground flax mixed with 3 tbsp warm water)
- 1 15 oz can of black beans, drained and rinsed (or 1 1/2 cups cooked black beans)
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 tsp sea salt (divided)
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup almond meal
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 4 pieces of chocolate, for center.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Make flax egg and set aside
- In food processor combine black beans, maple syrup, applesauce, apple cider vinegar, and half of sea salt. Pulse to combine (about 1 minute)
- Add in almond meal, cocoa powder and flax egg. Process until combined (about 30 seconds)
- Add in baking powder and continue processing for another 30 seconds.
- Grease four 5 oz ramekins with coconut oil. Make sure to grease well.
- Add a 1/4 cup of batter to each ramekin.
- Place a piece of chocolate in the center and then cover each ramekin evenly with remaining batter.
- Place on a baking sheet and bake for 25 mins.
- Remove from oven, sprinkle with remaining sea salt and let cool for 10 mins.
- Use a knife to loosen edges and then flip ramekins over on a plate. They should come loose easily.
- Serve warm. Will keep in fridge for several days and reheat in microwave if desired.
If you’re looking to spice up your lava cakes, check out this video where I make a Mexican version of these delicious black bean lava cakes!
JOIN THE THM NEWSLETTER
Join 20,000+ members of the THM Community to get access to exclusive recipes, healthy lifestyle tips and behind-the-scenes news from our team!