These paleo and vegan Blueberry Hazelnut Crumb Bars are made with wild summer blueberries, sweetened with a touch of maple syrup on a hazelnut crust and crumble. They will fill your sweet tooth all summer long!
The best part of summer without a doubt is the summer berries. Seeing that I am from the arctic, we are not lucky enough to have access to local berries year round. Fortunately frozen berries exist, but nothing truly compares to the fresh stuff.
When it comes to my favorite berries it’s a toss-up between strawberries and blackberries. Strawberries usually win out but only because they are marginally cheaper. I actually used to hate raspberries but over the years they’ve totally grown on me. I’m kind of weird about blueberries too. I love them in things but you’ll never find me snacking on a bowl of plain blueberries.
I make no sense.
Like these Blueberry Hazelnut Crumb Bars? Here are 4 other delicious summer berry dessert recipes!
1. Running to the Kitchen’s rustic Paleo Strawberry Almond Galette
2. Lexi’s Clean Kitchen’s classic Summer Strawberry Shortcake
3. Eating Bird Food’s Mixed Berry Fruit Salad with Poppyseed Dressing
4. Food Faith Fitness’ Paleo Poke Cake
Full confession: I used frozen blueberries for these blueberry hazelnut crumb bars.
As much as I want to support our local farms, I legit can’t suck up the cost of a pint of fresh blueberries…even when they’re in season. Plus organic, somewhat local wild blueberries were on sale so I went a lil cray’.
Not only is my house overflowing with frozen blueberries, but after this post the nut flour situation is completely out of control.
It’s officially become the summer of nuts and berries…Print
Blueberry Hazelnut Crumb Bars
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Total Time: 35 minutes
- Yield: 9 bars
For the blueberry filling:
- 3 cups frozen blueberries*
- 1/4 cup water
- zest and juice, 1 lemon
- 2 T maple syrup
- 1 T tapioca flour (non-GMO cornstarch or arrowroot starch works great too)
For the crust and crumble topping:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a food processor combine all crust/crumble ingredients until it comes together into a sticky ball.
- Grease a 8 x 8 inch baking pan with coconut oil and press 2/3 of the crust/crumble mixture into the bottom of the pan, ensuring it is flat.
- Bake for 10 minutes.
- Remove crust and set aside.
- In a medium saucepan combine all blueberry filling ingredients except tapioca flour.
- Bring mixture to a boil then lower heat to a simmer and let simmer, uncovered for 15 minutes making sure to stir occasionally.
- Add in tapioca flour and let simmer for an addition 5-10 minutes or until mixture has thickened.
- Top mixture onto crust in an even layer.
- Crumble remaining crust/crumble mixture on top of blueberry filling and press slightly with the palm of your hand.
- Bake for an additional 15 minutes.
- Let sit for at least 20 minutes before cutting and removing from pan.
*Feel free to use fresh though they may take slightly longer to cook.
**Feel free to substitute with almond meal.
Favorite summer berry??? GO.
JOIN THE THM NEWSLETTER
Join 8000+ members of the THM Community to get access to exclusive recipes, healthy lifestyle tips and behind-the-scenes news from our team!