This page contains some affiliate links. Please review my disclosure policy.
A sweet and zesty soup with the flavours of fall from butternut squash and sweet potato. This soup will keep you warm through the Fall and Winter months.
As delicious as this Butternut Squash Sweet Potato Soup is, the writing of this post was a complete afterthought. I was desperate to share it with you but was unfortunately preoccupied with trying to keep up with social media (new reality show?).
As you saw in my Day In the Life of the Maven post, blogging full-time requires being on social media A LOT. From Facebook to Pinterest to Instagram and everything in between, my life is so consumed by social media that I oftentimes find myself craving a social media detox.
Actually, a few weeks ago I took a SM detox only to return and discover that a new social network had been created! WTF. Because just what we all need is a another way to communicate…
I initially heard about Ello from my cousin who explained that it’s a new social media platform with similarities to Facebook but without all of the ads and creepiness you find yourself scrolling through on the book. I was skeptical at first but within a day it had been mentioned by at least 3 other people so I jumped on the bandwagon.
It’s currently still in the Beta stage so it’s invite only but somehow I scored an invite. The verdict? I’m kind of into it. Although the last thing I need is another SM platform, I actually really like the simplicity of Ello. Or maybe it’s just an opportunity to have a clean slate and not have to unsubscribe from 30% of the people you follow (just me?)? It could also be that I currently only follow food bloggers so I don’t have to worry about being infiltrated with pictures of people’s cat’s and TMI statuses.Print
Butternut Squash Sweet Potato Soup
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 35 minutes
- Total Time: 45 minutes
- 1 T olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion, diced
- 4 cups peeled & chopped butternut squash (about half a medium BNS)
- 3 cups peeled & chopped sweet potato (about 2 medium)
- 6 cups vegetable stock
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp ground pepper
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- Heat up olive oil in a large pot over medium-high heat.
- Add in onion and sauté for 2-3 minutes or until onions are translucent.
- Add in butternut squash and sweet potato and cook for another 2 minutes.
- Top with vegetable stock and spices and bring to a boil.
- Lower heat to a simmer, cover and cook for 20 minutes.
- Remove from heat and allow soup to cool slightly.
- Using an immersion blender blend soup until smooth. OR blend in a regular blender in small batches.
- Serve warm.
- Will keep up to one week in fridge and also freezes well!
- Serving Size: 10