blogging Live

A Day In The Life Of The Maven {Blogging as a Business}

September 17, 2014

As per your request, I finally took the time to track and photograph what a typical day looks like for me now that I’m a full-time blogger. I should add that no day really looks the same, but last Tuesday September 9th was about as close as it comes. Of course there were some fails, I fell behind on my schedule and plans changed but I’ve learned to accept that not everything will go according to plan. It’s also what keeps things fun!

A-day-in-the-life7:00 AM – my alarm goes off and begrudgingly I wake up and roll out of bed. Go right for my french press for coffee.

7:15 AM – back in bed with my computer. I do 50% of my work from my bed. I already know why this is harmful for my sleep, no need to tell me…

In bed7:15-9:00 AM – scheduling social media for the day. This includes facebook, twitter, google+, pinterest, instagram and my stumble groups. I rarely get it all done and check back in throughout the day. Respond to emails.

*8:00 AM – eat breakfast. A slice of my gluten-free & vegan banana bread recipe with an apple with peanut butter.

breakfast9:00-10:00 AM – blog reading. Guess the blog 🙂

Blog reading10:00 AM – morning snack of veggies and my roasted butternut squash hummus and one too many handfuls of popcorn (unpictured)

snack10:15-11:00 AM– write post for Wednesday on 5 Investments Worth Making For Your Blog.

11:00 -11:45 AM – make a recipe for the blog. Realize I’m low on tahini so recipe development for this one gets pushed off to another day.

11:45-12:00 PM – check in on social media and respond to comments.

12:00 – 12:30 PM – eat lunch. Failed kale salad topped with leftover chickpeas and chicken. Yes, I still eat all of my failed recipes.

lunch12:30 – 1:30 PM – set up and shoot photos for Friday’s post.

Photoshoot1:30-2:00 PM – start uploading pictures and get a text from my friend Steph asking to change plans from coffee to dinner that night.

2:00-2:45 PM – run to the grocery store to pick up ingredients for a soup I want to bring to my friend’s that night.

grocery shop2:45 – 3:15 PM – check in on social media while drinking a Vanilla Mango Smoothie.

smoothie3:15-4:15 PM – make lentil soup (recipe coming soon!) and contemplate photographing it but decide the light isn’t great so I store it away to photograph tomorrow.

4:15-5:00 PM – long phone chat with C while he’s away on business.

5:00-6:00PM – check in on social media again, respond to emails, schedule my post for wednesday and start editing pictures for Friday’s post, while eating soup!

soup6:30-7:30 PM – walk to the LCBO to grab a bottle of wine before hopping on the subway up to Steph’s for dinner.

6:30-9:30 PM – an incredible dinner made by Steph. Seriously, this girl has got skill! Plus we’re both healthy foodies and could talk about everything from chia seeds to farming for hours on end.

dinner9:30-10:30 PM– Hop back on the subway and walk home enjoying a beautiful night in the city I love!

CN tower copy10:30-11:00 PM – unwind, last check of social media and an episode of The Mindy Project.

11:00 PM – hop in bed to read a chapter from my latest book.

bookEnd Scene.

So there you have it! Some major things were missing aka C and Lee who were both out of town but otherwise this was a pretty typical day in my life. Lots of screen time, kitchen time and of course, good food 🙂

Like this post? Check out some of my others on Blogging as a Business:

Was this what you were expecting my day to look like? What would your day-in-the-life post look like?

September 17, 2014 at 5:08 am

Wow, I never realised how much commitment you put towards social media and recipes- you accomplished so much in a day! I love your set up for your shoot too!

PS Arianna Huffington was in Australia last week…well she was on the news. She said she was the meat in the cheese sandwich. I like her already.
    Arman @ thebigmansworld recently posted…cold pizza for breakfast

Lauren
    September 17, 2014 at 6:02 am

This day looks awesome. You work hard but get in some fun time too! Love all the eats as well!
    Being in a city at night time is just the best sometimes isn’t it!
    Lauren recently posted…When Life Gets Busy And Out Of Balance

Lucie@FitSwissChick
    September 17, 2014 at 6:04 am

I LOVE that!! So interesting to see how other people spend their working days. I am SO jealous of your office table, aka bed & tons of pillows (I have 8 pillows on my bed).
    I want that Vanilla Mango Smoothie!
    Lucie@FitSwissChick recently posted…WIAW#76 – It’s a restweek

meredith @ The Cookie ChRUNicles
    September 17, 2014 at 6:20 am

I so rarely work from my bed and then often wonder, why aren’t I bringing my computer into my bed.? lol For some reason, I do much better taking my computer and working from Starbucks or Panera. At home I can lose focus. Some days work great for me from home and some days I end up folding laundry instead of writing.
    meredith @ The Cookie ChRUNicles recently posted…WIAW- Food Over Medicine

Kelly @ Kelly Runs for Food
    September 17, 2014 at 7:06 am

I’m super nosy so I love posts like these! I definitely can see how much work you put into your blog. If I worked in bed I’d get so distracted! The pets would never let me focus for more than 5 minutes haha.
    Kelly @ Kelly Runs for Food recently posted…Taco salad and a pumpkin spice latte

Taylor @ Food Faith Fitness
    September 17, 2014 at 7:22 am

I LOVE seeing what others bloggers day’s look like. I like you’re getting up at 7am.
    I’m doing 3:45 am right now. It’s lame. Haha!
    Taylor @ Food Faith Fitness recently posted…Mini Gluten Free Brownies with Cherries and Chocolate Ganache {Lightened Up, Quick and Easy, Vegetarian}

Brynn
    September 17, 2014 at 7:33 am

I would love to hear about your process of becoming a blogger full time, how you learned to promote yourself, edit pictures and manage everything that goes into blogging. Loved the day recap!
    Brynn recently posted…WIAW: Girl’s Night Menu

Lauren
    September 17, 2014 at 7:47 am

Hehe so glad to see others work from bed too. I tend to crawl back in during the cold weather but have been trying lately to work at a coffee shop a few days a week to get out of the house. If I’m lacking motivation, switching my environment does wonders!

Tina Muir
    September 17, 2014 at 8:17 am

Interesting read Davida, kind of what I expected, but a lot more checking of social media than I realized, but maybe I am kidding myself when I think I spend less time on it. I really need to understand stumble upon a bit better. I am glad you said about eating your failed meals, it really annoys me when people waste food, so I was glad to see this 🙂
    Tina Muir recently posted…25 Must Have Items for Race Day- An Elite Guide

Lexi @ Lexi's Clean Kitchen
    September 17, 2014 at 8:56 am

Love this!!! 🙂
    Lexi @ Lexi’s Clean Kitchen recently posted…Recapping Austin, TX: One Meal At A Time!

September 17, 2014 at 9:01 am

I, like every other nosy person out there, love posts like this. Your bed looks so comfortable. For once, I am writing you this comment from mine! Not sure why I always feel like it’s necessary to tell you where I am as I’m reading/writing, but whatevs. Makes you feel like you’re here too. Let’s snuggle.
    Amy @ Long Drive Journey recently posted…Do Healthy Eating and Being Busy Go Together?

Alexis @ Hummusapien
    September 17, 2014 at 9:31 am

Awwww I see you reading my blawg gurrrrlll! Your day sounds like my dream day. Like why can’t blogging be my full time jobbbbbbb. A girl can dream!
    Alexis @ Hummusapien recently posted…What I Ate Wednesday

Lesley @ the Breakfast Runner
    September 17, 2014 at 9:37 am

I really respect all the hard work you’ve done to get your blog to be your full time job! I’m really really impressed. It’s kinda sorta my dream!
    Lesley @ the Breakfast Runner recently posted…This Week’s Training Recap: It’s Fall!

Amanda
    September 17, 2014 at 10:12 am

Dang you are so productive! I’m not surprised, maybe more jealous than anything.

I’d love to know how you stay so organized and how you know what you need to do in a given day. I’ve tried so many different ways but I end up getting overwhelmed or things take way longer than I think they will. Posts take me hours to write/edit/photograph/edit photos…maybe I’m just too slow lol

Also I just started to check social media and read blogs in bed but then I never get up haha
    Amanda recently posted…GF Pumpkin Spice Browned Butter Protein Bites

September 17, 2014 at 10:34 am

I’m impressed that with being able to create your own schedule you’re waking up at 7 am. Over the summer I was going to bed around 11:30 and waking up around 7:30…but right now it’s more like going to bed around 1:30-2:00 and waking up sometime between 8:30 and 9:00. Oops.
    Sam @ Better With Sprinkles recently posted…WIAW: I Did It Again.

Maryea {Happy Healthy Mama}
    September 17, 2014 at 11:38 am

It’s always interesting to peek into someone’s day. Fun share. My day is similar, well, not really…it’s sprinkled with “drive 5 year old to kindergarten…check social media…read 2 year old same book 5 times…test a new lunch recipe while 2 year old “helps”…put 2 year old down for nap…check social media…write blog post…pick up 5 year old…” Ahhh life with kids. 🙂
    Maryea {Happy Healthy Mama} recently posted…What Can Happen If You Decide To Speak Up?

Nikki @ Quest for Balance
    September 17, 2014 at 12:04 pm

I’m so happy for you that your full time blogging dream has come true! I am also in love with your head board. That bed office looks pretty sweet indeed.

GiselleR @ Diary of an ExSloth
    September 17, 2014 at 12:27 pm

I’m glad someone else understands the whole ‘working from bed’ thing lol. Although, you’re way more productive than I am. Working from bed for me usually snow balls into hours of naps…it’s a work in progress lol
    GiselleR @ Diary of an ExSloth recently posted…Vegan, Gluten Free Coconut-Banana Ice Cream Sandwiches

September 17, 2014 at 12:30 pm

Your bed looks so cozy! I would never leave it lol.

You’re so good at staying on schedule though. I think I would get so distracted if blogging was my full time job and I would never get anything done!
    Chelsea @ Chelsea’s Healthy Kitchen recently posted…Zucchini salad with Parmesan and basil

Lauren @ The Bikini Experiment
    September 17, 2014 at 2:09 pm

This was so fun to read! I love day in the life posts. Congrats on turning your blog into a full-time career. Very cool. 🙂
    Lauren @ The Bikini Experiment recently posted…WIAW #10: Repeating Favorites

September 17, 2014 at 2:30 pm

I like how people are so surprised you spend so much time on social media but that’s why you’re famoussss girlfrand. You also forget dealing with my constant neurotic texts throughout the day.

My days are so boring.
    Wake up. Run. Get ready. Go to work. Eat. Run again/go to yoga/do some other type of workout/go home if I’m lucky. Eat. Blog. Eat more.
    Cassie recently posted…What to Eat During a Ragnar Relay Race

Ang @ Nutty for Life
    September 17, 2014 at 2:42 pm

The MINDY PROJ!! Adore. It premiered last night and I missed it. Womp.
    This is pretty much what I expected your day to look like, wine and all. Mine are lately: sleep in, workout, or yoga >> hurry to pack everything I need >> work >> lunch >> work >> dinner haphazardly & Girls on the Run or other work >> drive home >> eat chocolate & watch the tonight show >> read >> bed. 11 pm BOOM.
    love you
    Ang @ Nutty for Life recently posted…Are You There, Angela? It’s Me, Your Blog.

Britt@MyOwnBalance
    September 17, 2014 at 3:35 pm

I am so insanely jealous of your bed desk. I can barely stand sitting in my desk chair all day at the office because my back is in so much pain due to the very large basketball like object currently in my stomach. I would kill to lay on pillows all day long! 🙂
    Britt@MyOwnBalance recently posted…Pregnancy Superfoods

Liz @ I Heart Vegetables
    September 17, 2014 at 4:28 pm

I love day in the life posts! It’s awesome how you’re able to blog full time!! 🙂
    Liz @ I Heart Vegetables recently posted…5 Tips for Better Sleep

Miss Polkadot
    September 17, 2014 at 6:10 pm

Okay, I’m actually even more impressed by all you’re doing and how you manage now that a) I’ve read the schedule and b) know you’re running THM from your bed. Because me + my bed = most unproductive combination for work ever. As much as I despise the whole getting up early and sitting in an office all day I know I could never be as disciplined as you working from home. I guess at least I’m admitting it … 😉
    Miss Polkadot recently posted…Eight Characteristics of True Friends

Linda @ Fit Fed and Happy
    September 17, 2014 at 6:28 pm

Looks like you have a pretty chill day revolved around food, blogging, and social networking! What do you use to schedule your social media, and at what point do you think a blogger should invest in something like that?
    Linda @ Fit Fed and Happy recently posted…September Wrap Down & August Wrap Up

September 17, 2014 at 9:53 pm

Do you ever feel isolated? I know that if I spend too much time at our venue or working at home I start to feel lonely.
    And, the picture that jumped out at me the most was your grocery basket – the eggs!!! I’m an anal egg shopper – they go in the top part of the basket and then I hand carry that bag out even if the rest of the groceries are in the basket. (and they ride home in the front seat)
    Kim recently posted…My Wife & Her Birthday (A Husband’s Reflection)

September 17, 2014 at 11:19 pm

Sounds like a good day to me! Although I work from home, I almost never work from bed because I think I’d get sleepy haha I alternate between my office desk, couch in my living room, kitchen table, and kitchen eat-in area. Once it gets cooler I’m hoping to add under my gazebo in my backyard to my list of work spaces!

Kim @ BusyBod
    September 18, 2014 at 6:35 am

Yesssss I’m so happy this is finally here! My stalker curiosity has been satisfied, so thank you for that. I’ve been thinking about another day in the life post, but my life is more boring now and I’m not really into a routine still so I’m not sure it would be really representative. Also I would like some banana bread, preferably right now for breakfast!
    Kim @ BusyBod recently posted…My knee and my nerves

Alison @ Daily Moves and Grooves
    September 18, 2014 at 9:08 am

I admire your ability to stay awake while working in bed. I would last 20 min. max before drooling over all my books if I tried that.
    Ahhh seeing the CN tower in your picture makes me think about how I’m coming to TO in December and how I WILL see you!
    Alison @ Daily Moves and Grooves recently posted…WIAW: Day in the Life of a First Semester College Freshman

Lisa @ Healthy Nibbles & Bits
    September 18, 2014 at 12:58 pm

Oh my gosh, love the plushy pillows and this post! Arianna Huffington was promoting that book at the last BlogHer conference, and I quite like her message behind it. She’s such a great speaker, too!
    Lisa @ Healthy Nibbles & Bits recently posted…Creamy Chicken and Rice Soup

Deryn @ Running on Real Food
    September 18, 2014 at 3:23 pm

Oh, I see some Nairns in there! I’m working on a post for them too. I wish I had all that bloggin’ time, you’re doing great!! I’m sure I’d have a hard time with discipline if I worked at home…I’m at work full-time, but I like my job, so it’s ok 🙂 Thanks for sharing your day with us!
    Deryn @ Running on Real Food recently posted…Almond Coconut Protein Bars with Hemp Seeds

Tara | Treble in the Kitchen
    September 18, 2014 at 4:07 pm

I loved taking a peak into your day 🙂
    Tara | Treble in the Kitchen recently posted…Cardio HIIT Workout + Songza

September 18, 2014 at 7:36 pm

Computer, kitchen, food. Yup! Definitely sounds a lot like my days. But Starbucks replaces bed for me, since there’s nooooo way I’d get anything done in bed. Oh, and I usually wake up somewhere around 4:30 – 5. I’m trying to convince myself that I love it 😆
    Amanda @ .running with spoons. recently posted…. thinking out loud #96 .

cait @pieceofcait
    September 19, 2014 at 9:29 am

i love blogging from my bed! HEHE 🙂 what do you use to SET up your social media for the day?!
    cait @pieceofcait recently posted…See you on kate’s page! 🙂

September 21, 2014 at 10:33 am

This was a fun post, and I appreciate you sharing so much of your schedule with us. It’s also how I wish my days would look sometime (replace bed with dining room table though, which is my “home office”) although my real job tends to get in the way. Especially lately because I’ve been working fifty and even sixty hour weeks, which means there’s really no time left for the blog. Or blog reading. Hence the reason I’m a week’s worth behind in your posts every week. Ah well, such is life. This is a minor dip in the road and I’ll be back on high ground again soon.

I hope your having the time of your life with your blogging buddy.

September 21, 2014 at 2:35 pm

Talk to me in a few years when the Hubby is done with pharmacy school and I’m no longer the sole bread winner, paying for graduate school.
    Meghan@CleanEatsFastFeets recently posted…WIAW: The Hubby’s Edition

Butternut Squash and Sweet Potato Soup - The Healthy Maven
    October 10, 2014 at 5:01 am

[…] you saw in my Day In the Life of the Maven post, blogging full-time requires being on social media A LOT. From Facebook to Pinterest to […]