One day I woke up and the two-ingredient pancake had taken over the blogosphere. Bananas + eggs was all it took so I gave them a shot. I’ll be honest, I wasn’t all that impressed. Sure they looked like pancakes but they lacked the fluffiness every pancake deserves to have.
So I made a compromise, a healthy, grain-free pancake recipe with 6 ingredients. It isn’t a two-step process but I promise the extra work is worth it. Plus considering my habit of creating recipes with 20+ ingredients and steps, I would call this progress.
I suppose the pictures are somewhat misleading. I’ve never been a pancake + maple syrup kinda gal. I like em’ with nut butter or some sort of preserves. Chocolate sauce works too 😉 So don’t let the picture fool you, these definitely taste like banana. Mostly out of taste preference but also for visual effect I topped them with my Blackberry-Ginger Chia Jam and Almond Cashew Coconut Butter. So many flavours! It was like a party in my mouth.
Besides their deliciousness, the stats on these babies are pretty remarkable. For 5 pancakes you get 323 calories, 5 grams of fat, 28 grams of PROTEIN and only 3 grams of added sugar. Booyah! I may or may not have had these for breakfast and dinner in the same day…
How to Make Grain-Free Banana Protein Pancakes
Start by mixing together all of the dry ingredients – the protein powder, coconut flour and baking powder. In a separate bowl, mix together the wet ingredients – the mashed banana, egg whites and almond milk. Add the wet mixture to the dry mixture and stir until there are no clumps. Let sit for about five minutes so the batter can thicken a little. Spray skillet or pancake griddle with non-stick spray and head to low-medium heat. Add a your desired amount of pancake batter to the pan and cook for 2-4 minutes. Top with maple syrup, nut butter or preserves and enjoy!
Grain-Free Banana Protein Pancakes
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 10-15 minutes
- Total Time: 15-20 minutes
- Yield: 1 serving 1x
- 1 scoop (approx. 48 grams) of vanilla protein powder (I used designer whey)
- 2 T coconut flour
- 1 banana, mashed
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 2 egg whites
- 1/4 cup unsweetened almond milk
- Mix together all dry ingredients.
- Mix together all wet ingredients.
- Combine wet ingredients into the dry mix and stir until there are no longer any clumps.
- Let mixture sit for 5 mins to thicken.
- Spray a medium skillet or pancake grill with non-stick spray.
- Over low-medium heat add each pancake one at a time. Let cook for 2-4 mins on each side. Be patient but watch carefully. Cook time depends on your stovetop. Mine were about 3 mins on each side.
- Top with maple syrup, nut butter or preserves of choice.
Keywords: cook; breakfast; dairy-free; gluten-free; coconut; banana
Are you a pancake lover? Here are other pancake recipes you may enjoy!
- Lemon Poppyseed Pancakes
- Banana Oatmeal Blender Pancakes
- Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Pancakes
- Apple Chai Pancakes
- Hot Chocolate Pancakes
JOIN THE THM NEWSLETTER
Join 10,000+ members of the THM Community to get access to exclusive recipes, healthy lifestyle tips and behind-the-scenes news from our team!