Ready in 20 minutes, this Instant Pot White Chicken Chili is easy to make, uses minimal ingredients and will be loved by the whole family. Options for stove-top or slow-cooker versions too depending on what tools you have.
March is always a weird time when it comes to sharing recipes. In some parts of North America it’s full-on spring, while in others there’s still snow on the ground. I’m acutely aware of this more after spending 4 years living in San Francisco, where the weather patterns don’t seem to match up with anywhere else in the world.
It also means that you’re going to get spring recipes like this lemon poppyseed loaf mixed with warm and comforting soup and chili recipes like this Instant Pot White Chicken Chili. This white chicken chili has actually been on our meal plan for the last few months while I tested it and it took me a little longer than usual to nail it down. So even though spring is in full-force in some places, I’ll be here in Minnesota eating my chili and living my best life!
Ingredients in Instant Pot White Chicken Chili
- Chicken breasts – look for high quality boneless, skinless chicken breasts.
- Yellow onion – a key savory flavor for this chili!
- Garlic cloves – another key flavor builder.
- White beans – any type of canned white beans will work – great Northern beans, navy beans, etc.
- Canned green chiles – choose your spice level!
- Corn kernels – either canned or frozen corn works. You don’t have to thaw the corn if you use frozen!
- Chicken stock – gotta add liquid to the soup!
- Spices – cumin, chili powder, oregano and salt and pepper.
- Lime juice – makes all of the flavors pop!
- Optional toppings – cilantro, jalapeno, shredded cheese, tortilla chips etc…
Which Instant Pot Can You Use?
Any Instant Pot or Pressure Cooker can be used for this recipe. I have the Classic Instant Pot Duo 7-in-1 and I absolutely love it. Mine is the 8 qt version but you can make this White Chicken Chili in any version.
Pro-Tip: Just press the “Pressure Cooker” button. Make sure it is set to high and then seal the valve. When it’s done cooking (after 10 minutes) do a quick release. this ensures the chicken stays moist and doesn’t dry out.
How to Make Instant Pot White Chicken Chili
STEP 1: ADD INGREDIENTS TO INSTANT POT
Add the following ingredients to your Instant Pot in this order: onion, garlic, white beans, green chilis, corn kernels and top with chicken. Pour chicken broth over top and stir in spices Seal lid and clove valve. Set Instant Pot to pressure cook on high for 10 minutes.
STEP 2: PRESSURE RELEASE + SHRED CHICKEN
When done quick release valve to manual release all pressure. Remove top and use tongs to remove your chicken from the rest of the ingredients. On a cutting board use two forks to shred chicken into bite-sized pieces.
STEP 3: FINISH + SERVE
Add chicken back into Instant Pot and top with lime juice and cilantro (if desired). Stir until everything is well-combined. Divide into bowls and serve with desired toppings.
Toppings for White Chicken Chili
The sky is truly the limit when it comes to toppings for your white chicken chili recipe but here are some ideas of what you can use:
- Tortilla Strips
- Shredded cheese
- Lime wedges
- Greek yogurt or sour cream
How to Make on Stove-Top
This white chicken chili can also be made on the stove-top. You’ll actually start by cooking the onion and garlic in a little olive oil. Then top with all your ingredients but you’ll want to add 2-3 cups of chicken stock instead of 1 1/2 cups. Just make sure the chicken is fully covered. Bring mixture to a boil and then immediately lower to a simmer. Cook the chicken for roughly 8-12 minutes. You’ll want to check once the chicken is white inside and juices run clear. If you have a thermometer you know your chicken is done when it’s reached 165 degrees F.
Remove chicken and shred into pieces before adding it back into the pot. Top with lime juice and stir to combine. Voila! White chicken chili on the stove-top.
How to Make in Slow-Cooker
Making white chicken chili in the slow cooker is similar to making it in the instant pot. You’ll add all your ingredients just like in your Instant Pot (using just 1 cup of broth) and then cook on on low for 6 hours or high for 3 hours. Remove chicken, shred and then add back in. Stir in your lime juice and voila! White chicken chili in your slow-cooker. Alternatively you could use your Instant Pot as a slow-cooker but honestly, it tastes just as good when you pressure cook it.
How to Store Your Instant Pot White Chicken Chili
Refrigerator – store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days.
Freezer – store in a freezer-safe container for up to 6 months. Remove from storage and allow to thaw overnight in fridge or several hours on countertop.
More Instant Pot Recipes
It’s no secret I LOVE my Instant Pot. Here are some of my favorite Instant Pot recipes:
- Instant Pot Chicken Enchilada Soup
- Instant Pot Kung Pao Chicken
- Instant Pot Chicken Taquitos
- Instant Pot Bone Broth
Instant Pot White Chicken Chili
Ready in 20 minutes, this Instant Pot white chicken chili is easy to make, uses minimal ingredients and will be loved by the whole family. Options for stove-top or slow-cooker versions too depending on what tools you have.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Total Time: 20 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings 1x
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Pressure Cook
- Diet: Gluten Free
- 2 large boneless, skinless chicken breasts (roughly 1 lb)
- 1 large yellow onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 15 oz can white beans (cannellini or great northern beans), rinsed + drained
- 1 4 oz can diced green chilis
- 2 cups frozen or canned corn kernels
- 1 1/2 cups chicken stock
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- juice, 1 lime
- optional toppings: cilantro, jalapeno, shredded cheese, tortilla chips etc…
- Add the following ingredients to your Instant Pot in this order: onion, garlic, white beans, green chilis, corn kernels and top with chicken.
- Pour chicken stock over top and stir in spices.
- Seal lid and clove valve. Set Instant Pot to pressure cook on high for 10 minutes.
- When done quick release valve to release all pressure.
- Remove top and use tongs to remove your chicken from the rest of the ingredients.
- On a cutting board use two forks to shred chicken into bite-sized pieces.
- Add chicken back into Instant Pot and top with lime juice and cilantro (if desired). Stir until everything is well-combined.
- Serve with optional toppings.
- Will keep in fridge for up to 5 days. Freezes for up to 3 months.
Keywords: Instant Pot white chicken chili, white chicken chili, pressure cooker white chicken chili
Like this white chicken chili? Here are some others you might enjoy:
JOIN THE THM NEWSLETTER
Join 20,000+ members of the THM Community to get access to exclusive recipes, healthy lifestyle tips and behind-the-scenes news from our team!
KimDecember 26, 2022 at 7:44 pm
Delicious! I cubed 4 ounces of cream cheese and stirred it in at the end before serving. We all loved it.
CyndiOctober 10, 2022 at 7:13 pm
Delicious and fast! I added a few tomatillos with the onions and thin sliced summer squash at the end. This is a keeper.
KimJuly 26, 2022 at 7:28 pm
Just made this for dinner. Delicious. I used one can of pinto beans and one can of white hominy as substitutes for the white beans and corn since I had those on hand. I used frozen chicken tenderloins so I increased the cooking time to 15 minutes. Worked out great. Thank for for a great new recipe.
Mia PelaezNovember 5, 2021 at 11:51 am
Super easy! Everyone loved it.
SummerOctober 11, 2021 at 10:41 pm
Great recipe! I reduced the salt to ~3/4 tsp for personal preference and am very happy with it.
MicheleApril 11, 2021 at 5:11 pm
Quick and easy meal to put together. This was absolutely delicious!! Thanks for sharing.
Davida LederleApril 12, 2021 at 12:38 pm
So glad you enjoyed!