Ready in 20 minutes, this Instant Pot White Chicken Chili is easy to make, uses minimal ingredients and will be loved by the whole family. Options for stove-top or slow-cooker versions too depending on what tools you have.
March is always a weird time when it comes to sharing recipes. In some parts of North America it’s full-on spring, while in others there’s still snow on the ground. I’m acutely aware of this more after spending 4 years living in San Francisco, where the weather patterns don’t seem to match up with anywhere else in the world.
It also means that you’re going to get spring recipes like this lemon poppyseed loaf mixed with warm and comforting soup and chili recipes like this Instant Pot White Chicken Chili. This white chicken chili has actually been on our meal plan for the last few months while I tested it and it took me a little longer than usual to nail it down. So even though spring is in full-force in some places, I’ll be here in Minnesota eating my chili and living my best life!
What You Need For Instant Pot White Chicken Chili
- Chicken breasts
- Yellow onion
- Garlic cloves
- White beans
- Canned green chilis
- Corn kernels- canned or frozen
- Chicken stock
- Spices: cumin, chili powder, oregano, salt
- Lime juice
- Optional toppings: cilantro, jalapeno, shredded cheese, tortilla chips etc…
Which Instant Pot Can You Use?
Any Instant Pot or Pressure Cooker can be used for this recipe. I have the Classic Instant Pot Duo 7-in-1 and I absolutely love it. Mine is the 8 qt version but you can make this White Chicken Chili in any version.
Pro-Tip: Just press the “Pressure Cooker” button. Make sure it is set to high and then seal the valve. When it’s done cooking (after 10 minutes) do a quick release. this ensures the chicken stays moist and doesn’t dry out.
How to Make Instant Pot White Chicken Chili
STEP 1: Add the following ingredients to your Instant Pot in this order: onion, garlic, white beans, green chilis, corn kernels and top with chicken. Pour chicken stock over top and stir in spices Seal lid and clove valve. Set Instant Pot to pressure cook on high for 10 minutes.
STEP 2: When done quick release valve to release all pressure. Remove top and use tongs to remove your chicken from the rest of the ingredients. On a cutting board use two forks to shred chicken into bite-sized pieces.
STEP 3: Add chicken back into Instant Pot and top with lime juice and cilantro (if desired). Stir until everything is well-combined. Serve with optional toppings.
How to Make on Stove-Top
This white chicken chili can also be made on the stove-top. You’ll actually start by cooking the onion and garlic in a little olive oil. Then top with all your ingredients but you’ll want to add 2-3 cups of chicken stock instead of 1 1/2 cups. Just make sure the chicken is fully covered. Bring mixture to a boil and then immediately lower to a simmer. Cook the chicken for roughly 8-12 minutes. You’ll want to check once the chicken is white inside and juices run clear. If you have a thermometer you know your chicken is done when it’s reached 165 degrees F.
Remove chicken and shred into pieces before adding it back into the pot. Top with lime juice and stir to combine. Voila! White chicken chili on the stove-top.
How to Make in Slow-Cooker
Making white chicken chili in the slow cooker is similar to making it in the instant pot. You’ll add all your ingredients just like in your Instant Pot (using just 1 cup of broth) and then cook on on low for 6 hours or high for 3 hours. Remove chicken, shred and then add back in. Stir in your lime juice and voila! White chicken chili in your slow-cooker. Alternatively you could use your Instant Pot as a slow-cooker but honestly, it tastes just as good when you pressure cook it.
More Instant Pot Recipes
It’s no secret I LOVE my Instant Pot. Here are some of my favorite Instant Pot recipes:
- Instant Pot Chicken Enchilada Soup
- Instant Pot Kung Pao Chicken
- Instant Pot Chicken Taquitos
- Instant Pot Bone Broth
Instant Pot White Chicken Chili
Ready in 20 minutes, this Instant Pot white chicken chili is easy to make, uses minimal ingredients and will be loved by the whole family. Options for stove-top or slow-cooker versions too depending on what tools you have.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Total Time: 20 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings 1x
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Pressure Cook
- Diet: Gluten Free
- 2 large boneless, skinless chicken breasts (roughly 1 lb)
- 1 large yellow onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 15 oz can white beans (cannellini or great northern beans)
- 1 4 oz can diced green chilis
- 2 cups frozen or canned corn kernels
- 1 1/2 cups chicken stock
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp salt
- juice, 1 lime
- optional toppings: cilantro, jalapeno, shredded cheese, tortilla chips etc…
- Add the following ingredients to your Instant Pot in this order: onion, garlic, white beans, green chilis, corn kernels and top with chicken.
- Pour chicken stock over top and stir in spices.
- Seal lid and clove valve. Set Instant Pot to pressure cook on high for 10 minutes.
- When done quick release valve to release all pressure.
- Remove top and use tongs to remove your chicken from the rest of the ingredients.
- On a cutting board use two forks to shred chicken into bite-sized pieces.
- Add chicken back into Instant Pot and top with lime juice and cilantro (if desired). Stir until everything is well-combined.
- Serve with optional toppings.
- Will keep in fridge for up to 5 days. Freezes for up to 3 months.
Keywords: Instant Pot white chicken chili, white chicken chili, pressure cooker white chicken chili
Like this white chicken chili? Here are some others you might enjoy:
JOIN THE THM NEWSLETTER
Join 20,000+ members of the THM Community to get access to exclusive recipes, healthy lifestyle tips and behind-the-scenes news from our team!