This page contains some affiliate links. Please review my disclosure policy.
Warm up this season with this buffalo chicken chili recipe. Made with wholesome ingredients like white beans, buffalo sauce and peppers this chili recipe is packed full of flavor and nutrition. Basically Buffalo Chicken Wings in a bowl. Perfect for game day or every day!
As I stare out on this gloomy, rainy October day I can’t help but miss our days in the Bay Area. Sure, the fog was ever present and it was impossible to dress correctly (LAYERS!) but it was never really that cold.
Fall in Minnesota can mean 80 and sunny one day and 32 and snowing the next (yes we’ve had both in the last two weeks!). But it also means something I genuinely love: a longer chili and soup season!
Admittedly, I most definitely ate chili year round in San Francisco, but nothing quite hits the spot like a warm bowl of chili on a crisp fall or winter day. This Buffalo Chicken Chili does just that. It may not cure your seasonal depression but man does it taste good!
Ingredients in Buffalo Chicken Chili
Unlike traditional chili which is tomato and chili powder-based, this Buffalo Chicken Chili is White Chicken Chili based using white beans and chicken broth as the core to the recipe.
- Olive oil – for cooking your veggies
- Onion – I prefer yellow or white for this recipe
- Garlic – finely minced
- Poblano Peppers – You can also use green or red bell peppers or any other pepper if you can’t find poblanos. For a little extra heat you can throw in a jalapeños!
- Chicken breasts – boneless, skinless chicken breasts and roughly 1 pound. If desired, you could replace with a different protein including ground chicken or ground beef but I haven’t tested it myself.
- Chicken broth – 3 cups or enough to cover chicken on the stovetop (note: you’ll use less in the instant pot). Feel free to use low sodium if preferred.
- Herbs + Spices – Dried dill, parsley, smoked paprika + salt and pepper. No chili powder required!
- White beans – I like navy beans or cannellini beans but you could also sub corn, kidney beans or black beans or whatever beans you have on hand.
- Buffalo sauce – I like the pre-made kind from Primal Kitchen but any store-bought buffalo wing sauce will work just fine.
- Salsa Verde – store-bought or use homemade.
Note: this green chili recipe is dairy-free. Oftentimes green chili includes cream cheese but I opted to not use it. Feel free to include it if that’s your preference.
For topping suggestions see below.
How to Make Buffalo Chicken Chili
STEP 1: COOK VEGGIES
Heat olive oil in a large pot or dutch oven over medium heat. Add onion, garlic and poblano peppers and saute for several minutes or until lightly browned. Add in your dried dill, parsley, paprika and salt and cook for 1 more minute.
STEP 2: COOK CHICKEN
Top with chicken and then cover with chicken broth. Bring mixture to a boil and then immediately lower to a simmer and cover for 15 minutes or until chicken is cooked all the way through.
STEP 3: SHRED CHICKEN
Using tongs remove chicken and allow to cool slightly on a cutting board. Make shredded chicken by shredding with two forks.
STEP 4: SIMMER CHILI
Add your white beans, buffalo sauce and salsa verde to the pot and bring back up to a boil. Lower to a simmer and cook, uncovered for another 10 minutes. Stir in shredded chicken and top with freshly cracked pepper and desired toppings (see below).
What To Top On Your Chili
Skies the limit when it comes to topping your buffalo chicken chili, but here’s what I like:
- Cheddar cheese – shredded cheddar cheese or whatever cheese you prefer tastes great. Blue cheese crumbles would be a great addition!
- Tortilla chips – chili is not chili without some crushed up tortilla chips on top.
- Sour cream – you could also use greek yogurt.
- Green onions – for a little crunch. Definitely not essential but scallions are always delicious.
- Cilantro – my personal favorite but if you don’t like cilantro feel free to leave out.
- Avocado – cube your avocado and sprinkle on top of a creamy addition.
- Hot sauce – I think the buffalo sauce adds quite the kick but if you want more you can add a few splashes of hot sauce.
- Lime juice – a squeeze of lime never hurts.
- Cornbread – though maybe not your most traditional chili recipe, cornbread is always a good idea. Might I suggest this pumpkin cornbread?
FAQs: Your Questions Answered
Can you Make this Buffalo Chicken Chili in the Instant Pot?
Yes you can definitely make this Buffalo Chicken Chili in the Instant Pot. Add all ingredients except white beans, buffalo sauce and salsa verde to your Instant Pot and close the lid to seal. Cook on high pressure for 10 minutes. Quick release the pressure valve and remove chicken. Stir in white beans, buffalo sauce and salsa verde. Shred chicken and add back into Instant Pot. Serve immediately or let sit on keep warm until ready to eat.
Can You Make this Buffalo Chicken Chili in the slow cooker or crockpot?
To make slow cooker buffalo chicken chili just add all your ingredients to the slow cooker except the buffalo sauce and salsa verde (you can add the beans). Cook the chicken on high for 3 hours or low for 4 hours. Remove chicken using tongs and shred. Stir in buffalo sauce and salsa verde. Add in shredded chicken.
Can you freeze this chili?
Absolutely! You can store this buffalo chicken chili in the freezer for up to 4 months. Just add to an airtight container, label and store.
Can you use chicken thighs?
Yes, you can replace your boneless, skinless chicken breasts with boneless, skinless chicken thighs. You’ll want to use 1lb or roughly 5-6 thighs.
More Chili Recipes You’ll Love:
Buffalo Chicken Chili
Warm up this season with this buffalo chicken chili recipe. Made with wholesome ingredients like white beans, buffalo sauce and peppers this chili recipe is packed full of flavor and nutrition.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Total Time: 40 minutes
- Yield: 6 servings 1x
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Cook
- Diet: Gluten Free
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 poblano peppers
- 1 tbsp dried dill
- 1 tsp dried parsley
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 15 oz can white beans (navy or cannelini beans)
- 2/3 cup buffalo sauce
- 1/2 cup salsa verde
- Toppings: cilantro, shredded cheese, green onions, tortilla chips (see above for more ideas)
- Heat olive oil in a large pot over medium heat.
- Add onion, garlic and poblano peppers and saute for several minutes or until lightly browned. Add in your dried dill, parsley, paprika and salt and cook for 1 more minute.
- Top with chicken and then cover with chicken broth (will take 3-4 cups to just cover).
- Bring mixture to a boil and then immediately lower to a simmer and cover for 15 minutes or until chicken is cooked all the way through.
- Using tongs remove chicken and allow to cool slightly on a cutting board. Make shredded chicken by shredding with two forks.
- Add your white beans, buffalo sauce and salsa verde to the pot and bring back up to a boil. Lower to a simmer and cook, uncovered for another 10 minutes.
- Stir in shredded chicken and top with freshly cracked pepper and desired toppings.
- Store in the fridge for up to 3 days.
Keywords: buffalo chicken chili, buffalo chicken chili recipe, buffalo white chicken chili