An easy, go-to vegetarian dinner recipe for Macro Veggie Bowls. Made with sweet potato, quinoa, crunchy chickpeas and greens topped with a tahini dressing, this dinner recipe will quickly become a staple at your healthy dinner table.
One of the weird downsides of my job is that taking a vacation is far more challenging than you might think. There is pressure to keep the momentum going all the time. This is especially true when you blog about health and January is, not surprisingly, the busiest time of the year.
But this is the third year in a row that I’ve scheduled a vacation amongst the madness and while I won’t pretend the weeks leading up to it aren’t stressful, it always ends up being a blessing in disguise.
I’m not one to set big, audacious new years resolutions, but I also have nothing against them. If it works for you, more power to you and if not, oh hayeeeee there! I’ve failed at not biting my nails 20 years in a row…
But something that’s super important to me is to set the tone of the year in a way I’d like to see become a habit in the following 12 months. And as someone who is always “on” and whose mind races faster than Usain Bolt, taking a vacation amidst the new years shuffle has been one of the best ways I’ve set myself up for a more balanced year. Because nothing says “I’m prioritizing R&R” like laying in the sun, while everyone else signs up for their gym memberships.
But I also love and respect all of you so NOT showing up here when what many of you need is a resource for healthy inspiration would be a major failure on my part. So even if I’m not making drastic diet changes or setting myself up for grand health makeovers, doesn’t mean I can’t be of service to those of you who are.
The Macro Veggie Bowls are a weekly staple in our house. It’s one of C’s favorite vegetarian meals (since he isn’t always down with veg food, this means a lot!) and I love them because they’re so easy to whip up. Just like my Ultimate Buddha Bowl recipe, the sauce can be made in advance and basically poured onto everything. My go-to bowl includes quinoa, sweet potato, crunchy chickpeas and greens but feel free to get creative. It’s all in the sauce anyway!
So if you’re planning to clean up your diet or prioritize healthy eating, start with this recipe. It’s not low-calorie, carb-free or whatever weight-loss nonsense is being touted in the media right now, but it’s damn good and made from REAL FOOD that will actually fill you up. More importantly, it feels awesome to eat meals like this and hopefully that will set a precedent for the year.
I’m looking forward to seeing what recipes you guys are whipping up from THM (once I’m back from Guatemala of course) so be sure to tag your recipes with #thehealthymaven on Facebook and Instagram so I don’t miss them! Happy eating, and happy new year!Print
Macro Veggie Bowls
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Total Time: 50 minutes
- Yield: 4 bowls
- 1 cup dry quinoa
- 2 large sweet potatoes, chopped
- 1 can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1 small head of kale, destemmed and chopped
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 1/2 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup pumpkin seeds
For the Sauce:
- 3 tbsp tahini
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 ½ tsp apple cider vinegar
- juice, 1 lemon
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- pinch of sea salt
- Water as needed
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Drain and rinse quinoa and cook according to package instructions. Set aside.
- Place chickpeas AND sweet potato on a baking sheet and drizzle with olive oil.
- Top with chili powder and cumin.
- Bake for 30-40 mins or until chickpeas are crispy.
- Add kale to a large bowl and top with olive oil and apple cider vinegar.
- Massage kale for 3-5 mins or until fully wilted.
- Divide kale amongst bowls and top with quinoa.
- Once sweet potatoes and chickpeas are done divide evenly among bowls.
- Sprinkle bowls with pumpkin seeds.
For the Sauce:
- Combine all ingredients in a medium bowl until well-combined. Sauce will thicken up so add water 1 tbsp at a time to reach desired consistency.
- Drizzle each bowl with sauce*.
*Feel free to double or triple and keep in the fridge. I love this sauce on everything!
JOIN THE THM NEWSLETTER
Join 8000+ members of the THM Community to get access to exclusive recipes, healthy lifestyle tips and behind-the-scenes news from our team!