Lately I’ve been on a recipe makeover kick. There’s nothing I love more than overhauling my favourite childhood treats: Oreos. I loved these treats growing up and still crave them today! Besides the sugar coating left in my mouth, I don’t love the ingredient lists so I took it upon myself to create something that tastes like the real deal without all of the added junk!
Traditional Oreo cookies have sugar (the first ingredient), canola oil and high fructose corn syrup but the truth is, none of those ingredients are needed! Lucky for you, I have enough drive to recreate this iconic recipe with ingredients that are actually good for you. Healthy oreos? You better believe it.
Raw Oreo Cookie Ingredients
As you know, Oreos have two main components: the cookies and the cream. The cookies are made out of:
- Raw almonds
- Sea salt
The cream has just as short of an ingredient list! You need:
- Raw cashews
- Coconut oil
- Maple syrup
- Vanilla bean
- Stevia extract powder
Healthy Oreo Cookies
These homemade, raw oreos are sweetened completely with natural, unrefined sugar – dates, stevia and maple syrup. They’re high in fibre and healthy fats thanks to the nuts and flaxseed. They are high in antioxidants thanks to the cacao powder. Overall, these cookies are packed with superfood ingredients and a healthy treat to add into your diet!
How to Make Raw Oreos
STEP 1: Add the almonds, flax and dates to a food processor and blend until the mixture reaches a rice-like consistency. Add in the cacao and sea salt and process until all of the ingredients are mixed into a ball.
STEP 2: Take two sheets of parchment paper and spray with coconut oil. Place the entire cookie dough ball on one sheet and cover with the other sheet. Use a rolling pin to roll out the dough until it’s about ¼ inch thick.
STEP 3: Using a cookie cutter or knife, cut out cookies. I used a circular cookie cutter but feel free to get creative! Allow cookies to sit in the fridge while you make the cream.
STEP 4: Clean out your food processor and add in the soaked cashews, coconut oil and maple syrup. Blend until smooth. Add in the vanilla bean seeds and stevia and process for another minute.
STEP 5: Remove the cookies from the fridge and spread a dollop of cream onto one cookie and cover with another.
STEP 6: Store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 2 weeks! Enjoy on their own or with peanut butter… all of you Parent Trap fans know what I’m talking about!
Raw Oreo Cookies
- Prep Time: 4 hours
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Total Time: 4 hours 10 minutes
- Yield: 15 cookies 1x
For the cookies:
- 1 cup raw almonds
- 1/4 cup flax
- 1/2 cup dates (soaked for 15–30 mins)
- 1/2 cup cacao
- pinch of sea salt
For the cream:
- 1 cup raw cashews (soaked for 2–8 hours, longer the better)
- 1 T coconut oil, melted
- 1 T maple syrup
- 1 vanilla bean, scraped (or 1 tsp vanilla extract)
- 1/4 tsp stevia extract powder (or more maple syrup, to taste)
For the cookies:
- Add almonds, flax, and dates to a food processor or high-speed blender. Blend until it reaches a “rice-like” consistency.
- Add in cacao and sea salt.
- Continue to process until all ingredients come together in a ball (about 5-10 mins).
- Take two sheets of wax paper and spray or pat with coconut oil.
- Place “dough” on bottom sheet and cover with top sheet.
- Using a rolling pin roll out until dough is a 1/4 inch thick.
- Using a circular cookie cutter (or with a knife) cut out circles.
- Allow cookies to sit in fridge while you make the cream.
For the cream:
- Clean out your food processor or blender and add in cashews, coconut oil and maple syrup. Blend until smooth.
- Scrape vanilla bean seeds and stevia into mixture and process for another minute until well combined.
- Remove cookies from fridge and using a knife spread cream onto one cookie and cover with another.
- Store in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks.
Like this post? Here are others you might enjoy:
JOIN THE THM NEWSLETTER
Join 20,000+ members of the THM Community to get access to exclusive recipes, healthy lifestyle tips and behind-the-scenes news from our team!