drinks paleo

Refreshing Mint Watermelonade

August 3, 2014

Watermelon meets lemonade in this Refreshing Mint Watermelonade. It’s a healthy and delicious drink recipe on a hot summer day. Sweetened naturally with fruit and a touch of honey!

How’s THAT for a name?! Screw SEO, I just couldn’t come up with watermelonade and not use it! In other news, today’s post is dedicated to the most glorious invention since indoor plumbing, the iPhone.

I seriously have no idea how I lived before the existence of a smart phone. I must have been very dumb. While it’s nice to get a break from it every now and then, when we are apart it feels like I have a phantom limb. It should be there, but it’s not.

Refreshing Mint Watermelonade // watermelon meets lemonade in this refreshing summer drink, sweetened with honey! thehealthymaven.comBesides it’s obvious uses for email, phone, text, I also depend entirely on it for answering the 132497987324 questions that pop into my head every day. Google is also something I wonder how I lived without.

Here is a prime example of why I need an iPhone with me at all times. So I’m in the grocery store picking up a watermelon. There’s 3 other ladies around me knocking on all of the watermelons trying to pick the perfect one. Of course I do the same and begin knocking away on some melons (lol). But here’s the thing, I have no idea why.

It seemed like the logical thing to do but I had no clue what I should be listening or feeling for. After knocking on about 5 of them, I decided it was time I google what the heck I was doing. Thankfully I had my trusty iPhone to answer all of life’s questions including “why should you knock on watermelons?”

Refreshing Mint Watermelonade // watermelon meets lemonade in this refreshing summer drink, sweetened with honey! thehealthymaven.comAs it turns out, to pick the perfect watermelon it should feel/sound hollow when you knock on it. You learn something new everyday! So I joined back in with my new club of melon knockers until I found the best watermelon in the bunch!

I actually live in fear of what someone might find if my phone got stolen or lost and a stranger looked up my search history. I suspect they will be somewhat astounded by the number of medical conditions I look up, A LOT of random facts about Montana (I was there 2 weeks ago and apparently very curious) and articles about English bulldogs (don’t ask…).

Now that I’ve bared some of my shameful googling habits, I’m sort of feeling like I should go hide in the corner with this Refreshing Mint Watermelonade. At least I’ll have my iPhone to keep me company.

Refreshing Mint Watermelonade

• Prep Time: 10 minutes
  • Total Time: 10 minutes
  • Yield: 12 cups 1x

Scale
  • 67 lemons, juiced (or about 1 1/2 cups of lemon juice)
  • 2 cups watermelon, seeded and chopped
  • 1/2 cup mint leaves
  • 12 cups water
  • 24 tbsp honey (more or less, to taste)

1. In a blender combine lemon juice, watermelon and mint leaves.
  2. Add to a large jug and dilute with water.
  3. Add in honey, to taste.
  4. Store in refrigerator.

Watermelon meets lemonade in this Refreshing Mint Watermelonade. It's a healthy and delicious drink recipe on a hot summer day. Sweetened naturally with fruit and a touch of honey!

Are you attached to your smartphone? Tell me a random thing you’ve googled! I swear I won’t judge…

Thalia @ butter and brioche
    August 4, 2014 at 5:10 am

i could SO kick back and relax with one of these lemonades right now, they look so refreshing and perfect for summer!

August 3, 2014 at 10:09 pm

This looks awesome – perfect for summer time. And, I’m thinking that it would taste pretty good with a bit of vodka if you wanted to turn it into an adult summer beverage!!!
    Pretty much any time my boys start questioning stuff my go-to is “just google it.” I always tell them that living in this time period there is really nothing we can’t figure out in just a few minutes!!!

erin @ The Almond Eater
    August 3, 2014 at 10:09 pm

I am attached to my smartphone…ish…but I’m also really good at leaving it away from me for an hour or so at a time. The last thing I googled was the price of a flight to the UK….which isn’t THAT embarrassing. The embarrassing part is me actually thinking I could afford a flight to the UK.

August 3, 2014 at 9:09 pm

Yummm! I’ve been obsessed with watermelon smoothies and juice lately. So good!

My hubby and I refer to the iPhone as “baby Jesus” because it has the answers to all questions in life hahaha

Mary Frances
    August 3, 2014 at 2:41 pm

Haha, yes, take a stand against SEO! Watermelonade for the win … I love this name, it needs to become a thing. And oh my gosh, I can relate too much to the iPhone incident. Waaay too much 🙂
    Pinning this perfect summer drink!

Ann
    August 3, 2014 at 12:09 pm

I had to Google SEO. You’ve mentioned it several times already but I somehow always have been too lazy to look it up. Now I know 😉
    Would you suggest to use sparkling or regular water? Sparkling water would give it more of an actual lemonade feeling, wouldn’t it?

Kelly @ Nosh and Nourish
    August 3, 2014 at 10:17 am

“melon knockers”… tee hee. 😀 PS. I LOVE the name watermelonade. #genius

August 3, 2014 at 8:32 am

If Google tells me to knock on watermelon, then I should probably do it. And one of these days, I will actually get a smartphone…eventually.

August 3, 2014 at 8:35 am

And by smartphone I mean iPhone, because my current android isn’t particularly smart despite the smartphone label…

Amanda @ Diary of a Semi-Health Nut
        August 4, 2014 at 8:32 pm

Yeah I totally know what you mean! I had a Blackberry for way too long, then an android…then in April I finally got an iPhone. It rocks my world to see the freaking emojis people send me and comment with on IG!!!!

Danielle @ Chits and Chats and Chocolate
    August 3, 2014 at 7:55 am

This looks so good, and I have everything right in my kitchen! Yay! This rarely happens!

I know I have looked up some pretty crazy stuff, bit my history must have been cleared not too long ago
    After watching movies, I always look up each actor in it to see what other movies they’ve been in.

Joanne
    August 3, 2014 at 7:15 am

Well I personally had no idea about this knocking on watermelons method! But hey, if google says it, it must be true.

This drink is like THE most refreshing thing.

meredith @ The Cookie ChRUNicles
    August 3, 2014 at 5:44 am

This will make you laugh – My son likes to fight with Siri and often talks to her in Hebrew. I mean, at least he has learned something at Hebrew school and bothers to use what he learns?

August 3, 2014 at 5:37 am

Are you attached to your smart phone? What a silly question.

Actually, I should google now how to know if my watermelon will have seeds. I had a watermelon mojito once. It was amazing and I thought I was drunk. Then the bar tender told me it was a mocktail.

Ann