No need to order takeout with this Slow Cooker Sweet and Sour Chicken. Perfectly tart and sweet all at the same time, this easy, one-pot dinner recipe is sure to be a family favorite!
I don’t know why, but I find myself reaching for my slow cooker in the winter far more often than I ever do in the summer. I think it’s because I’ve associated slow cookers with stews and soups, which naturally I eat more of in the winter, but it also makes total sense to want to use your slow cooker equally as often in the summer.
We used to live in a 700 square foot apartment, which meant if I turned the oven on in the summer, my entire apartment became a sauna. Which then resulted in us cranking the A/C followed by an electric bill that would give the average person a heart-attack.
We’re in a bigger place now but that still doesn’t mean I want to be on the room temperature yo-yo so I’m pulling out my slow cooker this spring and summer! It’s solved all of my temperature control problems.
Now onto the recipe… This recipe for Slow Cooker Sweet and Sour Chicken kind of blew my mind. I love the combo of sweet and tangy. I mean let’s be real, anytime I can combine sweet with savoury I am all in.
Here’s What You Need
- tapioca flour – regular all-purpose flour works as well!
- coconut oil
- tomato paste
- apple cider vinegar
- coconut palm sugar – or brown sugar!
- coconut aminos, tamari or soy sauce
- fresh ginger
- red onion
- bell pepper
- fresh pineapple
I love that this is a complete meal in one. With broccoli, bell peppers, onions and chicken, all you need is a side of rice to complete the dish.
The Secret Step
I know, I know, we all hate more dishes but the truth is that for the best results when it comes to this recipe, you need to add one additional step. You need to brown the chicken before adding to the slow cooker! I’m going to guess that you’ll want to skip this step but trust me when I say, the texture is so much better when you sear it. It holds together better and cooks perfectly. After this simple step, add the rest of your ingredients to the slow cooker and set it and forget it!Print
Slow Cooker Sweet and Sour Chicken
- Total Time: 3 hours
- Yield: 4 servings 1x
- 1 lb chicken, cut into bite-size pieces
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup tapioca flour (or regular flour if not gluten-free)
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 6 oz can tomato paste
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp coconut palm sugar (or brown sugar)
- 2 tbsp coconut aminos (or gluten-free tamari or soy sauce)
- 2 tbsp freshly grated ginger
- 1 small red onion, diced
- 1 bell pepper, diced
- 1 head broccoli, cut into florets
- 1 1/2 cups fresh pineapple, diced
- Add 1 egg to a bowl and whip.
- In a separate bowl add tapioca flour.
- Dip chicken into bowl with egg and then into bowl with tapioca flour until all pieces are combined.
- Add coconut oil to a large pan on medium-high heat.
- Saute chicken on each side for 1 minute to brown. Set aside.
- In slow cooker combine tomato paste, water, apple cider vinegar, palm sugar, coconut aminos and ginger.
- Add in onion, pepper, broccoli, and pineapple.
- Top with chicken.
- Stir until all ingredients are coated with sauce.
- Set on high for 2.5 hours or low for 4.5 hours. Adjust time depending on your slow cooker (time will vary depending on model).
- Serve over a bed of rice or cauliflower rice.
Like this recipe? Here are others you might enjoy:
- Slow Cooker Chicken and Veggie Curry
- Slow Cooker Jerk Chicken
- Slow Cooker Honey Mustard Drumsticks
- Slow Cooker Chicken Soup
JOIN THE THM NEWSLETTER
Join 20,000+ members of the THM Community to get access to exclusive recipes, healthy lifestyle tips and behind-the-scenes news from our team!