An easy and healthy salad recipe for your next potluck or picnic! This Spicy Peanut Slaw is full of nutritious vegetables and topped with a tangy and spicy peanut sauce for a vegan and gluten-free meal.
Not at all surprising but a lot of the meals I eat tend to be salads. Very rarely are they interesting enough to make the blog. Occasionally I’ll throw in a “fancy” ingredient like hearts of palm or berries, but still not worthy of a blog post.
Today is an exception. I actually think this recipe is not only worthy of a post, but potentially a place in The Healthy Maven Hall of Fame. We’re talking serious yum factor here. The slaw itself doesn’t require much prep and the dressing is a modest effort (considering my habit of 20+ steps…). Plus the dressing tastes good on anything so if there’s any leftover or if you want to double the recipe, the effort will most certainly be worth it.
Spicy Peanut Slaw
- Total Time: 15 minutes
For the slaw:
- 1 bag of broccoli slaw (about 4 cups)
- 1 bell pepper, sliced thinly
- 1 1/2 cups shelled edamame
- 2 green onions, chopped
For the spicy peanut dressing:
- 1 tsp olive oil
- ¼ onion, diced
- 2 T ginger, minced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- ½ tsp curry powder
- ¼ tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 ½ T rice wine vinegar
- ½ cup smooth peanut butter
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- ¼ cup tamari (or soy sauce)
- 1 ½ tsp sesame oil
- ½ cup water
- ½ tsp salt
- Combine slaw ingredients in a large bowl.
- Cook onion in olive oil over medium heat until translucent (about 3 minutes).
- Add in ginger and garlic and cook for another minute.
- Stir in spices for one more minute.
- Begin adding in liquid ingredients and once fully combined add salt.
- Cook for a few minutes until well combined.
- Remove from heat and let cool for at least 10 minutes.
- Add mixture to a blender or food processor and blend until smooth.
- 10 minutes before you are ready to serve the slaw top with dressing (there may be some dressing left over, do not feel you have to use all of it).
- Serve garnished with peanuts if desired.
- Serving Size: 4-5 as a side
JOIN THE THM NEWSLETTER
Join 20,000+ members of the THM Community to get access to exclusive recipes, healthy lifestyle tips and behind-the-scenes news from our team!