EYYYYYYOOOO Day #1 of The Great St. Patrick’s Day Green Food Link-Up! Worst name ever. I should not be in charge of this stuff.
I’ll be honest, I know nothing about the Irish. Despite my bestie living in Dublin (hi Sabs!), my knowledge of St. Patrick’s Day is embarrassing. I could not tell you what St. Paddy’s day is about other than it being an opportunity for college students (and perhaps post-college students…uhhhhh please don’t judge me next weekend) to get blackout. I also cannot for the life of me figure out if it’s “St. Paddy’s Day” or “St. Patty’s Day”.
Clearly this link-up is off to a great start…
To be honest, I’m not hugely concerned about this. Whether or not I know the significance of a holiday, I will find my own way to celebrate it…foodie style. Yes, I have always been the girl handing out green cookies to eat alongside your green beer. Speaking of green beer, boy do I have a story for you. I’ll save it for tomorrow though.
Don’t get ahead of yourselves folks, I’m not going paleo or announcing that I’m the 100000th blogger doing Whole30 (sorry if I just offended you). These donuts are paleo purely because I felt like using almond meal and coconut flour. No rhyme or reason, it just kind of happened. Plus I hate bacon so I am already a paleo fail.
I considered it for 1/2 a second after The Balanced Bites Podcasts sucked me in, but then Diane Sanfilippo made me think my morning oats were going to kill me so I quickly got off that train. Again, sorry if I just offended even more of you.
Please don’t hate me, I’ll feed you donuts! They’re green…
Serves: 8 donuts
- 1 cup almond meal
- 2 T coconut flour
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 eggs
- 3 tbsp honey
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp peppermint extract
- 1 can full-fat coconut milk (left in fridge for at least 1 hour), do NOT shake
- 1/2 tsp matcha powder (spirulina powder also works), omit if you don't want it to be green
- 1 T honey
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a large bowl combine almond meal, coconut flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Stir to combine.
- Add in applesauce, eggs and extracts. Stir well.
- Grease a donut pan with coconut oil.
- Divide batter evenly.
- Bake for 15 mins.
- Remove from oven and let cool for at least 20 minutes before removing from donut pan.
- Once removed, let cool completely on a wire rack.
- Remove coconut cream from can (should separate easily from coconut water) and add to a large bowl or stand mixer bowl. Beat on high for several minutes or until cream holds soft peaks.
- Add in matcha and honey and beat for one more minute.
- Frost donuts with a knife.
- Store in fridge for up to 1 week.
*Don’t forget you have up till Friday to post your GREEN recipe to be included in The Great St. Patrick’s Day Green Link-Up!
JOIN THE THM NEWSLETTER
Join 5000+ members of the THM Community to get access to exclusive recipes, healthy lifestyle tips and behind-the-scenes news from our team!