breakfast gluten-free oatmeal/granola

Chocolate Cherry Granola

May 20, 2014

So apparently I don’t know how to count. By apparently I mean this is not at all news to me. Despite my disorganized tendencies, I have been relatively organized throughout the ecookbook process. I have a word doc which lists all of the recipes I have made or plan to make and a tally indicating how many of these recipes I have actually made.

Before I left for Montreal the list was at 27 out of 40 recipes. Or so I thought…I decided to take the train ride to Montreal as an opportunity to edit pictures, which was when I discovered my list included 41 recipes! Odd numbers are a big no-no around here so I decided to pick one recipe to share with you guys.

Chocolate Cherry Granola // thehealthymaven.comMy math skills, or lack there of are somewhat notorious. I still count on my fingers and anything above that requires a calculator. I had a math tutor from 5th grade onward and I still managed to get 56% on my Calculus final in high school. Granted I also had a major case of senioritis and spent most of class surfing the web for a prom dress instead of learning about integers.

Numbers are not a language I speak. Although I do randomly speak quite a few languages. I avoided as many math classes as I could by fillng up my schedule with language courses. At one point I was taking English, French, Italian and German. Not surprisingly, this also coincided with my childhood dream to be a UN interpreter. And yes, the languages I chose to learn absolutely had to do with their cuisines…

Chocolate Cherry Granola // thehealthymaven.comUnfortunately, all the time and energy invested in learning these languages was somewhat useless since I remember zero German, a miniscule amount of Italian and enough French for me to survive aka “moules et frites si vous plait!” I’ve always wondered, if I had taken more math classes might I be able to calculate the tip on my bill without pulling out my calculator?

Which brings up the whole nature vs. nurture concept. Maybe I would have turned out differently if I hadn’t fought back so hard with my parent’s desire for me to be an engineer. I find that highly unlikely considering it took me at least 5 minutes to count out the change to pay for the overpriced trail mix I bought on the train. But we can’t discount the possibility that if baby me had been learning fractions instead of playing with dolls I might be a mathematician right now.

Lucky for you, my parents didn’t have that kind of forethought so you get this Chocolate Cherry Granola recipe!

Chocolate Cherry Granola

Cook Time 35 mins

• 3 cups rolled oats*
  • 2 cups raw cashews, chopped
  • 1/4 cup coconut oil, melted
  • 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
  • 1/3 cup honey
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1 egg white (optional)**
  • 1 cup dried cherries
  • 1/2 cup chocolate chips***

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
  2. In a large bowl combine rolled oats and cashews.
  3. Top with coconut oil, applesauce, honey, vanilla extract and egg white. Stir until oats and cashews are well coated.
  4. Line a large baking sheet with parchment or a silicone mat.
  5. Spread out granola on baking sheet.
  6. Bake for 15 mins.
  7. Remove from oven and flip granola as well as you can.
  8. Place back into oven and bake for another 12-15 mins.
  9. Remove from oven and let cool completely.
  10. Once cool add in cherries and chocolate chips.
  11. Store in an airtight container for up to 2 weeks.

Notes

gluten-free if necessary.
*egg white creates granola clusters but will yield a more muesli consistency if omitted.
***I use Enjoy Life dairy-free chocolate chips.

This homemade chocolate cherry granola recipe with dried cherries and dark chocolate makes a really tasty breakfast, while any leftovers can be enjoyed as a nutritious snack.Are you good at math? Do you speak a second/third/fourth language?

Rebecca @ Strength and Sunshine
    May 20, 2014 at 5:29 am

I am loving granola lately, I am on a huge granola kick! I just made a new recipe mys elf this weekend and I am obsessed!

Math is the worst! I used to like it in middle school, but when I got to high school, plagued with a horrible math department, everything went down hill. I still get good grades, but I hate it. it takes me a long time to grasp concepts.
    As for languages, I wish! I switched to Latin in high school (all 4 years!). I loved it because I didn’t have to speak it, only writing, and translating!
    Rebecca @ Strength and Sunshine recently posted…Gluten-Free Myths…Debunked!

Karen Loves to Run (@karenlovestorun)
    May 20, 2014 at 5:31 am

You had me at “dark chocolate and cherry”. WOW! I never knew making granola was so simple. I’ll definitely have to try this because I know I have the ingridgents in my house.
    Karen @karenlovestorun
    Karen Loves to Run (@karenlovestorun) recently posted…Superhero Half Marathon

Laurie
    May 20, 2014 at 5:39 am

I was great at math, but never took calculus. In college, I had to take two semesters of statistics for my psych major and it was the bane of my existence. My professor wrote the textbook we used, so no chance for book helping to explain it better. I took French they high school and a semester in college. I ended up using some French at work a few years ago. I was recruiting for a USAID funded project in French speaking Africa. I recalled enough French from 20 years prior to communicate with non-English speakers. I’m still decent at basic math that I can do in my head and use excel extensively at work to do all sorts of major calculations. It’s nice that my job in hr balances the “people” softer side, with the analytics.

But, I’ve been out of college for 24 years (ahem same age as some bloggers I know). It’s crazy how time flies. It’s crazy how things change. I was reading about your visiting McGill. I visited my alma mater in February (University of Pennsylvania) and campus has changed. Such a mix if old ivy covered bulk buildings and new modern buildings.

Heading to Austin this morning, but want to make this when I get back. I have all the ingredients in my pantry.

May 20, 2014 at 5:45 am

So now your parents may adopt Niki….engineer in training right there (Although I bet she only did it to be the token female).

Well guess who’s going to look like a copycat blogger when they post a granola recipe next week…let’s call it inspiration. 😉 You should totally have worked for the UN…they could have put you on secondment in Bahrain or Uganda, like they they did to my mum’s best friend!
    Arman @ thebigmansworld recently posted…No Bake Cashew Coconut Protein Bars

meredith @ The Cookie ChRUNicles
    May 20, 2014 at 6:18 am

I was really good in math until the advanced classes started in junior high school and I had no patience to understand it. I did well until I really had to think about study. When it stopped coming naturally is exactly when the math wiz in me left the building. They actually say that most girls lose their math skills ability around the junior high age compared to boys. I found that fascinating when I learned it lol….French was my best subject in high school. I took French because I thought it would help me communicate with hockey players since my dream was to marry one lol.
    meredith @ The Cookie ChRUNicles recently posted…Warm Weather Workout Essentials 2014

Lauren
    May 20, 2014 at 6:19 am

I am not great mates with numbers either. I think my boss thinks I am a bit retarded when it takes me forever to crack an excel equation which I think could be the level of an astronaut when it really just involves a few more $ signs… My sister aspired to work for the UN too, she also speak 4 languages and now works to campaign for Peace One Day – she is definitely the smart one of the Kennedy sisters… Anyway back to food – chocolate and cherry – amazing combo! I have not made granola for a while – you have just inspired me, especially with cashews in it – HELLO
    Lauren recently posted…Blueberry Almond Breakfast Smoothie Bowl

Lucie@FitSwissChick
    May 20, 2014 at 6:24 am

I’m so sad you don’t know and German anymore – we could have made bad jokes about Arman in front of him without him understanding. Haha.
    Sooo my first language is Swiss German and we all are forces to speak High German too. Then I speak about the same amount French as you, a little Italian and fluent English. I have no freaking clue about math – I am the worst failuee there. My oral exam’s result was a 2.5 (6 is best) – says it all.
    Lucie@FitSwissChick recently posted…MIMM – Girls and Goodbyes

Joanne
    May 20, 2014 at 6:46 am

I am fairly okay at math and still have issues with tips. So that makes two of us! And I know enough Italian to get by, so between us, we can conquer the two most important countries in Europe!

I have a strong desire to eat this by the bowlful. All day every day.
    Joanne recently posted…Dal Makhani (Black Lentils with Rich Tomato Sauce)

Tina Muir
    May 20, 2014 at 6:48 am

I am SO bad at math! It is my biggest weakness!!! Boooo!

This looks wonderful! A must make! I love everything about it!
    Tina Muir recently posted…3rd Place Finish at the Brooklyn Half Marathon

erin @ The Almond Eater
    May 20, 2014 at 6:54 am

Ugh math… the worst!! I actually managed a B average but never liked it andddddd I can’t calculate a tip to save my life hahah I’m like okok so the total is $25 so 20% um…. um……. It’s pathetic.
    erin @ The Almond Eater recently posted…Slow Cooker Buffalo Chicken Sandwich

Kelly @ Femme Fitale
    May 20, 2014 at 7:12 am

Before moving to Australia, I was teaching middle school math and science, so I obviously had to pretend to like math. I actually hated high school calculus and dropped out of my university math course in 1st year. But grade 6 math? Yeaaaah, BEDMAS!

Just needed to comment to say that this recipe is pretty much everything I need in life right now. If it wasn’t almost my bedtime, I’d be over in the kitchen making some for myself. Amazing combo!
    Kelly @ Femme Fitale recently posted…A Few Confessions…and a Surprise!

Miss Polkadot
    May 20, 2014 at 7:13 am

Maybe I should be appaled that of all languages mine was the one you forgot again after class. Then again that means you’ll need a translator for once you visit Germany – and you know I’d happily take that job. Did I mention I take food as payment and especially granola?!
    About the languages. Well, English is my second and technically French would be my third but I don’t really remember how I managed to actually get a decent grade in my oral exam waaay back. Plus I can say thanks, hi and “vad skön du är” 😉 in Swedish.
    Miss Polkadot recently posted…Good good links #39

Katie @ Daily Cup of Kate
    May 20, 2014 at 7:53 am

Oh, yum!! Just pinned this….totally making this for my yogurt parfait 3pm snack 😉
    Katie @ Daily Cup of Kate recently posted…Feeding The Positive Dog + 1/2 Ironman Update: 6 Weeks Out

Tiff
    May 20, 2014 at 7:54 am

Numbers are no fun. Ha. More cherries, less math!
    Tiff recently posted…Monday, Already?

May 20, 2014 at 7:58 am

ugh….math. Not my friend. I actually failed grade 10 math (but I had a horrid teacher so it’s at least partially his fault). I took a lot of gym, english and drama classes. As for a second language – still working on my french skills. Woot Rosetta Stone!
    Sam @ Better With Sprinkles recently posted…(Long) Weekend Recap: Travel, Shows, and Godzilla.

Kelly @ Kelly Runs For Food
    May 20, 2014 at 8:19 am

Any granola that includes chocolate is a total win in my book. I’m actually pretty good at math, I think I inherited my dad’s engineer side. My mom and sister, on the other hand, have a cheat sheet for tips that they keep in their wallets!
    Kelly @ Kelly Runs For Food recently posted…My favorite things about May

kaitlin @4loveofcarrots
    May 20, 2014 at 8:21 am

I want this!! I love when granola has clusters! Those are the best part!
    kaitlin @4loveofcarrots recently posted…Marvelous Monday!

Alexis @ Hummusapien
    May 20, 2014 at 8:46 am

Stawpppppp I want those clusters in my mouth immediately. I minored in spanish in college and I’m losing it super fast….so sad!! Hola.

May 20, 2014 at 8:52 am

What happened to not letting granola in the house?! Has this batch been demolished yet? I tried to make my own granola all of ONE time and gave up after I burnt it to a crisp 😆 Maybe one day I’ll try again.
    Amanda @ .running with spoons. recently posted…. chocolate chip oatmeal date balls .

Holly @ EatGreatBEGreat
    May 20, 2014 at 9:10 am

Granola is the best and I’m loving the sound of this one. Chocolate and cherries…soooo good! And I’m terrible at math! I definitely struggled when I was in school and now I’ve forgotten pretty much everything. Thank goodness for the calculator! 😉
    Holly @ EatGreatBEGreat recently posted…15 Weeks – Less Worry

Giselle@myhealthyhappyhome
    May 20, 2014 at 9:40 am

Chocolate and cherries are one of my favorite combinations! Then you add in cashews (or macadamias) and I’m in heaven!

Em @ Love A Latte
    May 20, 2014 at 9:44 am

Oh granola is heaven. And this batch looks fantastic. I need to get on this ASAP!
    Em @ Love A Latte recently posted…28 Weeks – Hello Third Trimester!

Leslee @ Her Happy Balance
    May 20, 2014 at 10:06 am

I have a similar recipe, but mine takes two hours and doesn’t include cashews, so you win. Looks delicious. And I love that you used coconut oil. I have a big jar in my pantry and since oil pulling is gross and I could only do it a grand total of two times, I think this may actually put it to good use.
    Leslee @ Her Happy Balance recently posted…Alo Yoga Summer Line & Workout Wear {GIVEAWAY!}

Jaclyn @ BumpSweat
    May 20, 2014 at 10:11 am

The cashews in this recipe stood out to me in every picture. I’m a nut for them 😉 And I’m definitely average when it comes to math. That used to be my strongest subject in school but when you don’t use it as often, I do think you lose it.
    Jaclyn @ BumpSweat recently posted…26-Week Bumpdate

Nicole @ FruitnFitness
    May 20, 2014 at 10:30 am

I went through a phase where I ate granola with yogurt and an apple every single night for dinner. The granola habit got a bit out of control but I would love to bring it back with moderation 🙂 this sounds so good!
    Nicole @ FruitnFitness recently posted…treat yourself – groupon edition

Helen @ Scrummy Lane
    May 20, 2014 at 10:54 am

well, I for one am so glad your parents didn’t have that foresight – I’ve been thinking about making some granola for a while now and this seems like a great healthy base recipe that could be tweaked in so many ways. Love your version as it is, though – cherries and dark chocolate are a match made in heaven!

Jen @ Chase the Red Grape
    May 20, 2014 at 11:13 am

Looks great! Although lethal! Would it last long…eh heck no!

I remember basic French from school and really wish I had been better at it. I sucked at maths too although am pretty good at basic arithmetic and since doing crossfit and having to count weight plates/ percentages of rep maxes etc, have only improved!
    Jen @ Chase the Red Grape recently posted…CrossFit – Where is my water?

Polly @ Tasty Food Project
    May 20, 2014 at 11:14 am

These granolas would be perfect to have with Greek yogurt! Yum!!

I’ve never been good at math. It was my least favorite subject in school and luckily I’ve been able to survive without knowing any complicated math formulas! lol
    Polly @ Tasty Food Project recently posted…Coconut Shrimp Curry and Quinoa Sweet Potato Boats

Megan @ The Skinny-Life
    May 20, 2014 at 11:49 am

Holly yum! This granola sounds so delicious. I’ve never made my own before, but have always wanted to try to make it. It’s really simple so I have no excuse not to try.
    Megan @ The Skinny-Life recently posted…Healthy Butter Substitusions

Megan (The Lyons' Share)
    May 20, 2014 at 11:59 am

So excited to get a sneak peek – looks delicious! Numbers are my language – I always loved math, stats, etc. in school :).
    Megan (The Lyons’ Share) recently posted…We ALL Need to Rest!

Archana @ The Perfect Zest
    May 20, 2014 at 12:17 pm

I need to make my own granola again – cherries,chocolate and cashews -great combo. Never heard of egg whites in gronola though.. that is new and I love math!!
    Archana @ The Perfect Zest recently posted…Mexican Black Bean Salad with Adobo Lime Dressing

FitBritt@MyOwnBalance
    May 20, 2014 at 12:34 pm

I am terrible at math too! It’s like that area of my brain doesn’t work or something. Don’t even get me started on the time I found out that my Physics class was math word problems about science things. Ugh.

I took six years of French but it is really beginning to slip away from me. I have Rosetta Stone for Italian. It’s going really well. It’s taken me 1.5 years to get to Level 1, Unit 2. Ha.
    FitBritt@MyOwnBalance recently posted…The 99 Days of Summer

Pip {Cherries & Chisme}
    May 20, 2014 at 12:55 pm

Holy yum! I don’t tend to trust myself around granola in the house and this looks incredible – especially the cherries 🙂

Considering I have an economics degree my maths should be a lot better :/ I had to work HARD and just about survived…

I’m learning Spanish at the moment (in Buenos Aires) and can get by fine, I need it to be better to make local friends though! Good motivation 🙂
    Pip {Cherries & Chisme} recently posted…{Marvelous in My Monday} Parties, beer, live music and sleepiness

Amanda
    May 20, 2014 at 1:03 pm

This looks GOOD! *drool*
    Math is the devil. Worst 4 letter word there is.

Kim @ Hungry Healthy Girl
    May 20, 2014 at 1:10 pm

I still use my fingers, too…. no shame! I’m glad that you miscounted because this granola looks incredible. I’m pinning it for sure and thanks for the egg white trick. I’ve wondered about creating clusters…. the things us food bloggers ponder. 😉
    Kim @ Hungry Healthy Girl recently posted…Quinoa Pancakes

Alex @ Kenzie Life
    May 20, 2014 at 1:17 pm

Oh this looks fantastic! Chocolate and cherries = amazing!
    Alex @ Kenzie Life recently posted…Raising the Barre: 8 Ways to Refine Your Focus In Pure Barre

May 20, 2014 at 2:30 pm

Chocolate + cherry = an always amazing combo!

I believe we’ve talked about both of our lack of control when it comes to granola. Yet you’re clearly still making it and I just bought some Kind peanut butter clusters granola last night at Whole Foods… so apparently both of us are saying screw it I need granola in my life!! Ha.
    Nicole @ Foodie Loves Fitness recently posted…Sayonara San Francisco Bay Area

Melissa @ Nourish By Melissa
    May 20, 2014 at 3:00 pm

Math is no fun anyway haha! This recipe looks great, looove that there’s cashews in it 🙂
    Melissa @ Nourish By Melissa recently posted…Vanilla Green Tea Matcha Muffins!

May 20, 2014 at 4:13 pm

I love math and actually tutor several high school kids in math!!
    But look – you use numbers every time you step into the kitchen with your recipes – funny that those come more naturally to you!!!
    Kim recently posted…The Truth about Blogging

May 20, 2014 at 4:30 pm

I’m actually pretty good at math. I never thought I was… someone had to tell me I was before I thought so. I got like 620 in math on the SAT, so decent, right?

I should have read this post before telling you about my granola fail today. Heat too high, not enough egg whites. Back to the drawing board.

I speak 1 language – English and if someone held a gun to my head I could converse in terrible, broken French. I can read it, though!
    Cassie recently posted…Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Energy Bites

May 20, 2014 at 6:59 pm

I was the dork who loved math in high school/1st year university. I liked that it made sense and that you could always find a right answer. History and English? Not so much. I would take a page of math problems over an essay any day.

And I would take this granola over both those options! 😉
    Chelsea @ Chelsea’s Healthy Kitchen recently posted…My favourite local products in the GTA

Tina @ Tina's Chic Corner
    May 20, 2014 at 8:32 pm

Well, it’s better that you had 1 more than 1 less. 😉 I love making homemade granola and this absolutely fantastic. Chocolate cherry combo is super tasty. 🙂
    Tina @ Tina’s Chic Corner recently posted…Asparagus And Peas Medley

Danielle
    May 20, 2014 at 8:45 pm

I love homemade granola recipes, especially ones that include chocolate <3. I've never tried using egg whites in my granola, I'll have to try it out. The clusters are always the best part!

Math was always my favorite subject, it always came so easy to me. If I were ever going to teach a subject, it would totally be math. Sad, I know.
    Danielle recently posted…Whole Wheat Strawberry Muffins

Brittany
    May 20, 2014 at 11:43 pm

Haha I love the story with this post. I HATE math with such a strong passion, and I was always terrible at it too. What I am good at though, is destroying some granola. I LOVE the cashews in this. YUM!

Kelly - LEFT SIDE OF THE TABLE
    May 21, 2014 at 10:07 am

Ohhh my goodness Davida!! Can’t believe that you took all those languages at once! UNREAL! I took spanish forever, but learned the same stuff year after year, so yeah don’t really know much spanish hah! Totally wish I spoke at least one other language….anywho…27 vs 41 quite the difference..but heyyy on the bright side, at least it was higher and not lower right?? This granola looks awesome. I made granola for the first time ever last month and loved it. This combination is sure one to try 😉 Thanks!
    Kelly – LEFT SIDE OF THE TABLE recently posted…Why the word “SKINNY” shouldn’t be on the menu!

Amy @ Elephant Eats
    May 21, 2014 at 11:31 am

Hahaha, I totally count on my fingers!!! And i was an engineering major… This granola sounds delicious so I’m glad you decided to share it with us. Can’t wait to see your other 40 recipes!!

May 26, 2014 at 10:10 pm

Now how can I trust your cooking calculations if you’re still counting on your fingers. Oh maybe because your recipes, the ones I’ve made, have all come out delicious. Alright fine, you win.

I do numbers for a living, and my friends always make me calculate the tip.

Hazelnut Espresso Granola