This homemade chocolate cherry granola recipe with dried cherries and dark chocolate makes a really tasty breakfast, while any leftovers can be enjoyed as a nutritious snack.
I feel like most people like granola but few make their own at home. I know it’s simple to pick up a bag at the grocery store but have you tried homemade granola?! It’s so much better than store bought and almost just as easy to make… almost.
I’ve been making my own granola for years and am never looking back! I love that I know exactly what ingredients are going into my mixture and I can customize the flavors to my liking. More often than not, you’ll find a jar of homemade granola in my pantry.
Chocolate Cherry Granola Ingredients
- rolled oats – make sure to grab gluten-free if necessary.
- raw cashews
- coconut oil
- unsweetened applesauce
- vanilla extract
- egg white – egg white creates granola clusters but will yield a more muesli consistency if omitted. Completely optional!
- dried cherries
- chocolate chips – I like to use Enjoy Life dairy-free chocolate chips.
How to Make Homemade Granola
STEP 1: In a large bowl, combine the rolled oats and cashews. Add the coconut oil, applesauce, honey, vanilla extract and the egg white. Stir until the oats and cashews are well coated.
STEP 2: Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat and spread the granola mixture evenly on top.
STEP 3: Bake at 350ºF for 15 minutes. Remove from the oven and flip the granola as well as you can. Place back in the oven and bake for another 12-15 minutes.
STEP 4: Remove from the oven and allow to cool completely before adding in the cherries and chocolate chips.
How to Eat Chocolate Cherry Granola
Granola is one of my all time favorite snacks. There are so many ways to eat it… you really can’t go wrong! Here are some ideas:
- By the handful – Yup, eat this plain straight out of the container. So delicious!
- As a smoothie topping – I love eating smoothie bowls with granola on top! This smoothie is the perfect flavor pairing.
- On top of waffles or pancakes – Want to add a little crunch to your breakfast? Add this granola to these chocolate chip waffles or these whole wheat pancakes.
- Yogurt parfait – Can’t go wrong with a classic yogurt parfait with this granola and fresh fruit.
How to Store Granola
After letting your granola cool completely, store it in an airtight container at room temperature for up to two weeks. I’ve never tried freezing but I’m assuming it would hold up well if you need to store for longer!Print
Chocolate Cherry Granola
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Total Time: 35 minutes
- Yield: 6-8 servings 1x
- Category: Breakfast
- Method: Bake
- Diet: Gluten Free
- 3 cups rolled oats
- 2 cups raw cashews, chopped
- 1/4 cup coconut oil, melted
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 egg white (optional)*
- 1 cup dried cherries
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips*
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a large bowl combine rolled oats and cashews.
- Top with coconut oil, applesauce, honey, vanilla extract and egg white. Stir until oats and cashews are well coated.
- Line a large baking sheet with parchment or a silicone mat.
- Spread out granola on baking sheet.
- Bake for 15 mins.
- Remove from oven and flip granola as well as you can.
- Place back into oven and bake for another 12-15 mins.
- Remove from oven and let cool completely.
- Once cool add in cherries and chocolate chips.
- Store in an airtight container for up to 2 weeks.
*Egg white creates granola clusters but will yield a more muesli consistency if omitted.
Keywords: cherry granola, chocolate cherry granola
Like this post? Here are more granola recipes you might enjoy:
- Pumpkin Spice Granola
- Apple Cinnamon Granola
- Almond Cranberry Granola
- Seedy Savory Granola
- Dark Chocolate Pistachio Granola
JOIN THE THM NEWSLETTER
Join 20,000+ members of the THM Community to get access to exclusive recipes, healthy lifestyle tips and behind-the-scenes news from our team!