chips gluten-free snacks vegan vegetarian

Crispy Sriracha Lime Chickpeas

May 7, 2014

I asked you guys on Facebook which snack recipe you would prefer to see first, the sweet one or the savoury. You said savoury, so I posted sweet (okay fine I posted the savoury one a day later, don’t hate me!). You see, I play by my own set of rules. I try to post recipes on Sundays, Tuesday and Thursdays, and here I am posting on a Wednesday. What can I say, I love living on the wild side!

Crispy Sriracha Lime Chickpeas // thehealthymaven.comI’ve always been a rule-breaker, but I’ve been slick enough to not get caught, most of the time. I still remember in second grade when I got in trouble with the principal for sneaking off school property to go buy sour keys. Like any responsible school would do, they sent a note home to my Mom. I was terrified of getting in trouble so I broke down into a puddle of tears and told the principal and my Mom that a boy in my class’ older brother pressured me to do it. So I didn’t get in trouble…and I got the sour keys!

I consider myself resourceful rather than troublesome. Although as I’ve gotten older, my risks are far more calculated and researched and the fear of getting arrested becomes that much more terrifying. I mean I’ve made it 24 years, I’d rather not ruin that streak.

Crispy Sriracha Lime Chickpeas // thehealthymaven.comIn hindsight, I think I thought I was a lot smarter than I was. My parents definitely knew there was alcohol hidden in those unlabelled water bottles and the director of our religious school was not oblivious to my sudden disappearance during our Lower East Side Jewish tour (I was in midtown with my camp friends). I now realize how much danger I could have potentially put myself in, but I figure that’s what college is for! Waking up and semi-remembering your near-death experience from the night before and hoping you learned something from it is what your undergrad is all about…right?

I’m also realizing that I have a long way to go. For example, touching your eyes after touching Sriracha is always a bad idea. Sriracha + lime + chickpeas however, is not. So break some rules and eat some chickpeas, just don’t get caught…

Crispy Sriracha Lime Chickpeas

PREP TIME 5 mins
Serves 2     adjust servings

• 1 15 oz can of chickpeas, rinsed well and drained
  • 1 T sriracha
  • 1 tsp olive oil
  • juice from 1 lime
  • 1/4 tsp sea salt

1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
  2. Dry chickpeas REALLY WELL and remove outer skins. Rolling them between two paper towels easily removes skins.
  3. In a large bowl combine sriracha, olive oil and lime juice.
  4. Add chickpeas to bowl and coat well.
  5. Spread evenly on a parchment or silicone-lined baking sheet and sprinkle with sea salt.
  6. Bake for 20-25 minutes. Check at 20 and if they're beginning to burn remove from oven.
  7. Let cool completely on tray.
  8. Store in an airtight container (may not stay crispy after a few days).

Notes

Perfect for snacking but I also love to throw them on salads as croutons!

Crispy Sriracha Lime Chickpeas 4Are you a rule-breaker? Tell me the worst rule you’ve broken! I want stories 😉

May 7, 2014 at 5:34 am

After our last Skype sesh…..I think secrets are a thing of the past. Remind me to never get on your bad side. Are sour keys like sour worms but key shaped? You and your lingo.

YES. This will be made this weekend as part of you know what. Truth.
    Arman @ thebigmansworld recently posted…Eating your freezer- one meal at a time

Laurie
    May 7, 2014 at 5:51 am

Love love loce roasted chickpeas. I’ve made them with lime and chili powder, but not siracha. Will have to add to my list.

I am a rule follower. Always have been. Always will be (I presume). Perhaps that’s why I work in Human Resources. But, I promise, I explain and enforce rules nicely.

Most trouble I ever got in. Easy. When I was 16, I wanted my ear double pierced. Back in 1984, it was less common to have multiple piercings. I had gone to spend the wrrkend with a friend in NJ. Our families had met on vacation in Puerto Rico. Wendy and I were spending the day in Thr Village (Greenwich Village in NYC) and then we we were meeting out parents in Chinatown for dinner. So, my parents were adamantly opposed to the double piercing as were Wendy’s parents. Yep. We went ahead and did it. I have never seen my dad so mad. Sigh. Obviously, it was he disobeying that was the issue. I had to take out the earring. Less than a year later, somehow my mom let me get my ear double pierced. 🙂 (typed while on the elliptical machine. Excuse any typos)

Lauren
    May 7, 2014 at 6:15 am

I love roasted chickpeas – I think I eat way too many – this will be a great variation to my standard cumin, turmeric and cinnamon combo!
    I feel you on the rule breaking – but life would be boring if we all conformed – right?
    Lauren recently posted…Peanut Butter, Oat and Raisin Cakies

Miss Polkadot
    May 7, 2014 at 6:20 am

Crying and blaming somebody else? You clearly have the rule-breaking business down and I’ll look up to you from now on ;). The first rule-breaking story – also related to school – that came to mind was that one time one of the most annoying stickler of a teacher punished my whole class to extra work. The only time it ever happened to me – and nobody actually did the extra work. Obviously.
    Looking back I feel I should have broken some more rules as a teenager. Do you think it’s too late to start making up for it as a twenty-something :D?! I’l let you know once I remember the biggest rule I’ve broken so far. Once my memory comes back.
    … and now I want some sour keys though I don’t even like gummy candy.
    Miss Polkadot recently posted…Breaking the [food] rules

Miss Polkadot
      May 7, 2014 at 6:29 am

Look what I forgot in all my reminiscening: chickpeas! You need to convince me to face my sriracha fears/ buy it but other than that chickpea anything is the way to my heart, er, stomach. Winning.
      Miss Polkadot recently posted…Breaking the [food] rules

Taylor @ Food Faith Fitness
    May 7, 2014 at 6:41 am

I’m just getting into the ‘roasted chickpea” thang, but I ADORE sriracha and lime, so I am totally lovin’ all up on these! Hello healthy snack alert! Pinned!

meredith @ The Cookie ChRUNicles
    May 7, 2014 at 6:45 am

I’m sorry, I am still sitting here laughing as I picture a bunch of religious school kids on the lower east side up to no good.
    meredith @ The Cookie ChRUNicles recently posted…WIAW – Plant-Based Works For Me

May 7, 2014 at 6:50 am

😆 Oh the stories I could tell from my rebellious teenage years… Probably shouldn’t do it here, though — physical evidence of my crimes and all that 😉 But I -should- make roasted chickpeas again. It’s been a while and those things are crazy addictive. No promises on the hot sauce. I’m a wimp when it comes to those things.
    Amanda @ .running with spoons. recently posted…. chocolate covered raspberry oat bars .

May 7, 2014 at 7:00 am

Hahahaha your story about crying to the principal in 2nd grade sounds exactly like something I would have done! I was known as a goody two shoes, which allowed me to get away with a LOT in school. One time in 12th grade I wasn’t prepared for a presentation, so I faked an asthma attack and told my teacher that my mom was on her way pick me up and take me to the ER. It worked LOL!
    Chelsea @ Chelsea’s Healthy Kitchen recently posted…Why Registered Dietitians are the best source of nutrition advice

May 7, 2014 at 7:38 am

I was pretty much a goody two shoes (surprise surprise), but I did jump out of a window running from the police ONE time in my life. Then I never left home again…

These look great. I am always amazed by how versatile chickpeas can be. They are a super food!
    Amy @ Long Drive Journey recently posted…3 Meals to Eat Now or Later

May 7, 2014 at 7:47 am

Haha the crying and blaming somebody else is definitely something that I would have done…I blame being the youngest sibling, I got a lot of practice doing that with my parents (blaming my brother). And I maaaay have gotten myself in trouble a few times in high school. But I only got suspended once, so I’ll take it.
    Sam @ Better With Sprinkles recently posted…WIAW: Quick Eats.

Kim @ Hungry Healthy Girl
    May 7, 2014 at 8:30 am

How did you manage to make chickpeas look so beautiful? 😉 I bet these would be the perfect topping for a vegetarian taco salad!
    Kim @ Hungry Healthy Girl recently posted…What I Ate This Weekend

Jo @ LIVING MINT GREEN
    May 7, 2014 at 8:54 am

Sour keys. My mouth is watering now. Thanks a lot! I found a handful of Dino Sours in my jacket pocket yesterday. JACKPOT!!!

Yes, I’m a bit of a rebel but I will reveal myself to you (lol that sounds so gross) at a later time. Can’t talk about it on the blog. Hahahahah

Tina @ Tina's Chic Corner
    May 7, 2014 at 9:09 am

I’m loving this flavor of baked chickpeas! I can always use a little spice in my life, especially because I’m not the rule-breaking kinda girl. 😉
    xoxo
    Tina @ Tina’s Chic Corner recently posted…Tomato And Herbed Goat Cheese Sandwich

Nicole @ FruitnFitness
    May 7, 2014 at 9:38 am

Ha I love the stories! My senior year of high school spring break we all filled multiple water bottles with vodka to take on our cruise. Friends with older brothers came in useful sometimes. I don’t think I like siracha… But I have never really tried it. I should get on that.
    Nicole @ FruitnFitness recently posted…Love is in the Air

Erin @ The Almond Eater
    May 7, 2014 at 9:47 am

You. are. WILD. I love chickpeas and have a chickpea recipe in mind to hopefully post next week! …which translates to hopefully within the next month lol. I was (still am) definitely more of a goodie than a rebel buuuut I had my moments.. that IS what college is for..aaaand high school..
    Erin @ The Almond Eater recently posted…My First Half Marathon Recap…

Em @ Love A Latte
    May 7, 2014 at 10:11 am

I go back and forth whether I like chickpeas or not but I love sriracha, and this combo looks great! I’ll try a handful, please! 🙂
    Em @ Love A Latte recently posted…Pregnancy Journey – 26 Weeks

Samantha @ The Faithful Runner
    May 7, 2014 at 10:15 am

Delicious! Thanks for sharing! 🙂
    Samantha @ The Faithful Runner recently posted…Kentucky/Tennessee Vacation Recap

Jaclyn @ BumpSweat
    May 7, 2014 at 10:16 am

I’ve craved sriracha my entire pregnancy. I can’t wait to get home from my week out-of-town to give these a try!
    Jaclyn @ BumpSweat recently posted…Expert Q&A: Functional Training While Pregnant

May 7, 2014 at 10:47 am

I have never tried Sriracha – is it super spicy?
    I do like chickpeas that are crunchy so this sounds good!
    I look back on some of the things I did (and this was all during my early 20s because I lived under a rock up to that point) and hope that my boys don’t repeat some of them – I feel fortunate that I didn’t ruin my life (or someone else’s!!).
    Kim recently posted…Pushing Past Failure in Order to Fulfill a Dream

Amy @ Elephant Eats
    May 7, 2014 at 11:33 am

My husband literally just asked me two days ago if I knew how to make crispy chickpeas (and i didn’t). I mean I knew it involved roasting them in some way, but so glad I have your recipe now! 🙂
    Amy @ Elephant Eats recently posted…Life post-move…

Laura @ Raise Your Garden
    May 7, 2014 at 11:51 am

Wow. Smashing.

Put me in coach. I never thought to roast chickpeas before!
    Laura @ Raise Your Garden recently posted…Pansy Salad

Megan @ The Skinny-Life
    May 7, 2014 at 12:41 pm

I love chickpeas! I haven’t had the time to try making them though! I love sriracha too. Anything hot and sour is good for me.
    Megan @ The Skinny-Life recently posted…WIAW….Meal Plans?

FitBritt@MyOwnBalance
    May 7, 2014 at 1:30 pm

Ha. I totally did the water bottle thing too! And while I’ve never touched Sriracha and then my eyes, I have chopped jalapenos and then touched my eyes. No bueno.

I like rules a lot, unless I want to break them. My favorite is “calling in sick”. I know, I am really crazy over here!
    FitBritt@MyOwnBalance recently posted…Three

rika@vm
    May 7, 2014 at 2:07 pm

Sriracha and Lime chickpeas?! That sounds so yummy! I tried salt and vinegar chickpeas from OSG cookbook, but they were bit too delicate for me! I want crispy forms! Anyway I hope you’re doing well, Davida, I’ve been away from blogging for awhile (I am losing some1 this year now…)
    rika@vm recently posted…Pure Ella’s Virtual Baby Shower: Sweet Potato Dumplings in Ginger & Jasmine Syrup (Tang Yuan)

Alexis @ Hummusapien
    May 7, 2014 at 3:27 pm

My my my…. I didn’t know my seester was such a little badass! Same here, girlfriend. Let’s eat all these chickpeas over like ten vodka sodas.
    Alexis @ Hummusapien recently posted…What I Ate Wednesday

Polly @ Tasty Food Project
    May 7, 2014 at 4:29 pm

I was actually thinking about roasting chickpeas the other day! Lime and sriracha sounds great together!
    Polly @ Tasty Food Project recently posted…Avocado Hummus

Alison @ Daily Moves and Grooves
    May 7, 2014 at 5:01 pm

Ooo so many poppin’ flavors!
    Well that’s great to know that I’m gonna come close to dying a couple times during my undergrad years. It’s all a learning experience, eh? 😉 I’ve done some rebellious things, but my scrupulous personality always makes me spill the beans in tears just like your second grade self did. I’m THAT wimp.
    Alison @ Daily Moves and Grooves recently posted…WIAW: Recent Eats

Amanda
    May 7, 2014 at 5:27 pm

I tried these before and they sucked… but I didn’t let them dry at all AND I left the skin on. Whoops! hahah! I’ll have to try it your way because they sound really really good and I was so bummed out that my first try sucked!

Becky @ Olives n Wine
    May 7, 2014 at 7:38 pm

Ha – I break rules and don’t tell 😉 These babies are definitely NOT rule breakers. Holy yumalicious snackfood. I have a huge bottle of Sriracha it my fridge and a can of chickpeas in my cupboard… hmmm… now I just need a husband to come home with some limes 🙂
    Becky @ Olives n Wine recently posted…#34 Treat Yourself Tuesday

Brittany
    May 7, 2014 at 11:21 pm

I have never made roasted chickpeas…CRAZY RIGHT!? These look sooo damn good. I don’t even like sirracha (please don’t hate me) but I would eat this entire bowl.
    Brittany recently posted…Gluten & Dairy Free Carb Loading

Kelly - LEFT SIDE OF THE TABLE
    May 8, 2014 at 11:19 am

So let me tell you a little story….I bought a can of chickpeas like 2 months ago with intention to try making chickpeas in the oven cause i’ve heard they’re amazing. Yeah…the can is still sitting in my cupboard!! I need to try this! Totally digging the spicy lime combo Davida! Thanks for sharing 🙂
    Kelly – LEFT SIDE OF THE TABLE recently posted…Garlic & Rosemary Cauliflower

Gabby @ the veggie nook
    May 8, 2014 at 7:48 pm

These look so delicious i suspect they were at least slightly worth the sriracha in the eye 😉
    Gabby @ the veggie nook recently posted…lemon poppyseed truffles for a very special baby shower

May 11, 2014 at 6:05 pm

That is exactly what undergrad is for…making great memories and learning never to be so stupid ever again…until the next week.

So crispy chickpeas are blowing up everywhere in blog world lately. I love your cilantro lime combo though. I think I’ll have to break down and give these guys a try.
    Meghan@CleanEatsFastFeets recently posted…Ramp Risotto with Pine Nuts

May 13, 2014 at 10:05 am

Um every bone in my body is all about rule-breaking. One time I snuck out of class to go see this bomb shelter at my junior high. When I was caught by a teacher, I was with a boy so obviously the teachers assumed the worst and I was given whatever the “you screwed up” form was called. One of my friends went into the office and STOLE THE FORMS. That’s probably the biggest rule-breaking at school I had, besides skipping lunch freshman year to go make-out with my boyfriend.
    Cassie recently posted…Gluten Free Bagels with Chocolate Almond Cream Cheese [Product Review]

Robert
    July 8, 2017 at 5:24 pm

Would lemons work instead of limes?