breakfast dessert gluten-free pudding snacks

Blueberry Kefir Chia Pudding

May 6, 2014

This Blueberry Kefir Chia Pudding combines two heart-healthy ingredients, kefir and chia seeds to make a delicious and flavorful dessert or snack recipe!

When it comes to food I am a total know-it-all…I am the maven after all! I gloat about how I know the difference between chia, hemp and flax seeds, the benefits of drinking lemon-water, and the correct pronunciation of quinoa. And you better bet I’m gonna tell you all about it. Let’s just say it isn’t my most admirable quality.

It is rare that someone stumps me with their food knowledge, and if they do I try to play it off cool, when secretly I am pulling out my phone to wikipedia it. Such an event happened the other week when I was talking with my friend Lee. We were discussing her blossoming career as a hand model (don’t ask) when she brought up the food “kefir”.

Blueberry Kefir Chia PuddingCue internal debate as to whether I should ask her what she’s talking about or just nod and pretend like I know all about Kefir. I sucked up my pride and asked. “Uhhhhhh Lee WTF is Kefir?!”. She was kind enough to inform me that in my time living under a rock, she’s been downing gallons of a fermented drink called Kefir. A fermented drink, eh? I can get down with that.

Upon further investigations (and by that I mean google) I discovered that Kefir is basically a drinkable yogurt. Sounds fun, but I honestly had no idea how I would use it. Upon Lee’s suggestion I picked some up at the grocery store, snapchatted a pic to her (duh) and came home to absorb all I could possibly know about this mysterious food.

Blueberry Kefir Chia Pudding 2My conclusions? Kefir is AWESOME. I’ve switched out my coconut milk for kefir in smoothies and substituted some of the almond milk with this glorious drink in my chia puddings. It’s tangy, high in protein and is gut-friendly (hate that word). I now live in fear that there are more foods out there that I’ve never heard of. Can you get a Masters degree in food knowledge? If so, I’m in. For now, I’ll take this Blueberry Kefir Chia Pudding.

Blueberry Kefir Chia Pudding

Cook Time 6 hours 5 mins
Total Time 6 hrs 5 mins
Serves 2     adjust servings

• 1 cup blueberries (fresh or frozen)
  • 1 cup kefir
  • 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk
  • 3.5 T chia seeds
  • Toppings of choice: coconut flakes, cacao nibs, chocolate chips etc...

1. Add blueberries and kefir to a blender and blend until well combined.
  2. Add in large container combine blended blueberries with almond milk and chia seeds.
  3. Place in refrigerator for at least 6 hours.
  4. Add toppings of choice and serve cold.

Blueberry Kefir Chia Pudding -combine two heart-healthy ingredients, kefir and chia seeds to make this delicious and flavorful dessert or snack recipe!

May 6, 2014 at 5:37 am

Your menopause buddy cannot stop raving about kefir because Dr.Oz praised it once…and finding it in australia is MIA.

6 hours and 5 minutes? Maven status right there.
    Arman @ thebigmansworld recently posted…Pesto and Parmesan Waffles

Lauren
    May 6, 2014 at 5:51 am

I have been meaning to try kefir for ages but me and dairy are not good friends. Me and dairy are not the best of friends but my sister raves about it. She said it doesn’t matter if you can’t tolerate dairy very well as the probiotics in it balance it out… Do not know how much truth there is in that… I have seen you can get coconut kefir though, although I cannot find it anywhere in Landan town!
    Lauren recently posted…Peanut Butter, Oat and Raisin Cakies

Komal
      May 31, 2016 at 11:15 am

Kefir is over 99% lactose free. The good bacteria and yeast eat up the lactose.

meredith @ The Cookie ChRUNicles
    May 6, 2014 at 6:25 am

I have heard of Kefir, knew what it was and I believe they always promote it for the digestion-related qualities but never tried it. Are you telling me I should, because then I will lol….I tend to know a lot about food like you but I rarely chime into diet and food conversations because I can’t stand most people not really know what they are saying and I have little interest in correcting them or guiding them. May sound mean I know but it is easier for me to stay out of it than try to convince people they are wrong most of the time lol.
    meredith @ The Cookie ChRUNicles recently posted…Shake-Out Run and AllSeated For Your Events

Cat
    May 6, 2014 at 6:55 am

Haha I think I would have to class myself as a food know-it-all! If I haven’t heard of it, I’m on google in a flash. That said, kefir is a new one for me recently, and I’ve started brewing my own… but it’s freaking me out a bit. I think if I threw some in a pudding like this I’d be able to enjoy it without squirming though!

Joanne
    May 6, 2014 at 7:31 am

Look at you, learning something new every day!! I’ve actually heard of kefir but have never had it. So, that’s a problem. Must.Fix.ASAP. I so want to lick this pudding bowl clean.
    Joanne recently posted…Rhubarb Cream Cheese Hand Pies

May 6, 2014 at 7:44 am

Ya, I think I definitely fall into the food know-it-all category. Although I’ve heard of kefir I’ve never actually tried it!
    Sam @ Better With Sprinkles recently posted…Things I Do When I Should Be Working on My Thesis.

Kim @ Hungry Healthy Girl
    May 6, 2014 at 8:26 am

If you can get a masters degree in food knowledge, sign me up!!! Kefir is a little too tangy for my taste.
    Kim @ Hungry Healthy Girl recently posted…Healthier Lunch Lady Brownies and Cooking with Kids

Lucie@FitSwissChick
    May 6, 2014 at 8:32 am

I love Kefir and it’s been wayyyy too long since I had it – not to mention I never thought about putting it into a smoothie.
    Thank you my genius Maven-girl.
    PS. Gramatik is on my iPod forever – I downloaded ALL the albums because of you. Your next playlist is printed – need to start downloading again.
    Lucie@FitSwissChick recently posted…Spiralps Natural Wellness Drink Review

Erin @ The Almond Eater
    May 6, 2014 at 8:43 am

Kefir eh? Would that be in the yogurt aisle or…. um…. I’m intrigued so I feel like I need to buy some. Help me!! Also–love the teal/green/purple-y-ness of these photos. SPRINGGGGGGGG.
    Erin @ The Almond Eater recently posted…Grilled Almond Butter Sandwich

Britt@MyOwnBalance
    May 6, 2014 at 9:23 am

I am far from a food know-it-all! I depend on blogs like yours to inform me! I have heard of kefir but to be honest, it kind of freaks me out. Something about drinkable yogurt makes me want to gag a little. Not sure why since I regularly put yogurt in my smoothies…
    Britt@MyOwnBalance recently posted…Three

Lee
    May 6, 2014 at 10:01 am

That 50mm is doing wonders for your photosssss!!!! Hoorah for keef keef! What flavors do they have up north in Canada? My fav is the cherry or strawbs here in the south.
    Lee recently posted…Best of April 2014

christina
    May 6, 2014 at 10:17 am

somehow i’ve never tried kefir but i always stare at it at whole foods like i’m going to buy it. it’s really fun to say too.

Dixya @ Food, Pleasure, and Health
    May 6, 2014 at 10:17 am

confession time – you are not alone trying to be know it all…i do that all the time, sometimes even at restaurants when they have exotic menus. kefir is something i keep seeing on the internet and stores but havent tried it myself..need to change that.
    Dixya @ Food, Pleasure, and Health recently posted…Chopped Kale and Chickpea Salad

May 6, 2014 at 11:01 am

Yes and Yes :mrgreen: My mom’s actually been making her own kefir at home for -years- now, so I know all about the magic drink. I tend to avoid her version because the fermentation process kin of skeeves me out, but I do love the store-bought kind. Never tried it in puddings or smoothies though!
    Amanda @ .running with spoons. recently posted…. chocolate covered raspberry oat bars .

Polly @ Tasty Food Project
    May 6, 2014 at 11:32 am

I’ve never tried kefir before but this chia pudding is making me want to try it out! This looks very flavorful and delicious!

I’m definitely not a food know-it-all! lol
    Polly @ Tasty Food Project recently posted…Light Lemon Cajun Shrimp and Broccoli

Megan @ The Skinny-Life
    May 6, 2014 at 11:57 am

What an awesome recipe! I’ve not heard of Kiefer, but I have heard of drinkable yogurt. I want a master degree in food too! Where do we sign up? Or maybe we need to start our own program!
    Megan @ The Skinny-Life recently posted…Your Injury Recovery Plan

Tina @ Tina's Chic Corner
    May 6, 2014 at 12:31 pm

I’d never heard of kefir either. Learn something new everyday. 🙂 This looks delicious!!
    Tina @ Tina’s Chic Corner recently posted…Black Bean Burgers

Mary Frances
    May 6, 2014 at 2:13 pm

What? I don’t know what you are talking about … know it alls, what is that? Just kidding 🙂 I’ve tried kefir because it is supposed to help digestive issues (??) but yeah, its pretty new to me too! What a great use of it! This is one gorgeous dessert … or breakfast, because I take dessert for breakfast.
    Mary Frances recently posted…Fudgy Brownie Cake with Chocolate Pudding Frosting (dairy free!)

May 6, 2014 at 3:41 pm

I’m the opposite of a food know-it all – food idiot would better describe me. So, nope, I haven’t tried kefir. The pudding looks really good though.
    Kim recently posted…Sometimes Rocks Crack

Amanda
    May 6, 2014 at 3:50 pm

I have yet to try Kefir but one of my co-worker raves about it. I think she makes her own actually…?

Selena @ thenutritiouskitchen.com
    May 6, 2014 at 5:15 pm

Oooo I have never tried kefir before! And you are giving me a great excuse to get some on my next market run! And confession: I def didn’t know what kefir was until like a month ago? There’s always so many new health fads popping up, it can be hard to stay up to date! Pinning this kefir deliciousness for sure!
    Selena @ thenutritiouskitchen.com recently posted…Whole Wheat Blueberry Waffles with Lemon Maple Syrup

May 6, 2014 at 7:24 pm

You know I’m a big lover of kefir! It seriously does magical things for my digestive system.
    Chelsea @ Chelsea’s Healthy Kitchen recently posted…Why Registered Dietitians are the best source of nutrition advice

Tiff @ Love Sweat & Beers
    May 6, 2014 at 8:16 pm

I’ve heard of and seen it, but I’ve never tried it. I generally prefer to eat my food. 😉
    Tiff @ Love Sweat & Beers recently posted…Indulge Me

Alexis @ Hummusapien
    May 6, 2014 at 8:27 pm

Okeeee wait. I’ve never tried kefir. Can we still be besties?!! I already know the answer to that. Regardless, I want to faceplant into this beautiful blueberry concoction!!!
    Alexis @ Hummusapien recently posted…Dark Chocolate Raspberry Black Bean Brownies

Emily
    May 6, 2014 at 8:45 pm

I haven’t tried kefir yet. And I like knowing everything as well. I’ll fake it then look it up later on the sly. My husband, on the other hand, is never afraid to ask any question of anyone. Sometimes he’ll ask me something random while he’s sitting at his computer, and that’s the only time I’m like, “you’re right there! Just google it!”
    Emily recently posted…Catching Up

May 6, 2014 at 11:35 pm

Hehehe you are too funny… I am so with you, if you find a Masters program for foodies, please let me know!!
    Nicole @ Foodie Loves Fitness recently posted…Kale Salad with Strawberries, Goat Cheese & Almonds

Amy @ Elephant Eats
    May 7, 2014 at 11:36 am

hehehe, I’m totally the same way about food knowledge! I did know what kefir was, but I think you have me beat on the distinctions/benefits of chia vs flax vs. hemp 😉 I love the tanginess of kefir though, so I know this pudding must be awesome!
    Amy @ Elephant Eats recently posted…Life post-move…

Alison @ Daily Moves and Grooves
    May 7, 2014 at 2:38 pm

I’ve sorta known what kefir is, but I’ve always been intimidated to try it. I don’t know why though, because I’m obviously a yogurt freak. I’m drooling over this chia pudding already, so I’d probably be a fan!!
    Alison @ Daily Moves and Grooves recently posted…WIAW: Recent Eats

May 11, 2014 at 5:59 pm

I’ve yet to try kefir, but I hear all sorts of delicious things, including that it pairs incredibly well with granola.
    Meghan@CleanEatsFastFeets recently posted…Ramp Risotto with Pine Nuts

May 13, 2014 at 9:34 am

Can you believe I’ve never had kefir? But my grandparents have because they are trendier than me. I’m just scared of it I think. Same with miso. But I loveeeee chia pudding so maybe I need to buy a bottle!
    Cassie recently posted…Gluten Free Bagels with Chocolate Almond Cream Cheese [Product Review]

Francesca
    May 14, 2014 at 9:47 pm

Love frozen kefir! Great recipe 🙂

Buying Chia Seeds
    May 30, 2014 at 12:57 am

whoa, thanks very much for posting this! It is going to help when I buy Chia Seeds at the grocery store! Awesome!

Makenzie
    August 6, 2015 at 10:57 am

If you aren’t familiar with Kombucha…you need to look into that gut-friendly drink also. I actually prefer it over kefir!

Billy
    July 25, 2017 at 3:16 pm

This looks so great. I love the idea of chia pudding – I’ve had it before but never with kefir, so I think that is something i’m definitely going to try and get my hands on. Rather, make with my own bare hands! Thank you for sharing your recipe!