blogging Live

Some Changes.

September 24, 2014

This post has been a long time coming and to be honest, it feels like a relief to be writing it. If you know me, then you know how I operate: work-hard, play-hard. I work crazy long days for weeks on end and then I detach completely. It’s a strategy, which I found to be effective for me in the past, but slowly it is beginning to catch up with me.

Since the blog is not just my passion, but my job it is no exception that I’ve adopted this mentality in how I operate it as a business. So far it’s worked. And while I am so incredibly grateful for the following THM has achieved, in the process I have lost a lot of the core values that this blog is supposed to be about.

Balance is Key // thehealthymaven.comBalance is key. I’ve said it from the start. Move your body, eat your veggies, drink your wine and binge-watch your favourite Netflix show. Some days more veggies than wine, and others more Netflix than activity. It all evens out in the end.

But when those veggies and sweat sessions get pushed aside to make room for more work and then suddenly you find yourself eating popcorn and wine for dinner in your PJs from the night before, it’s pretty clear your balance is off kilter.

This has been me for the past couple of months. I have been working my butt-off, as is to be expected when you are self-employed, but not at the expense of your health. And especially not when you write a blog called The Healthy Maven.

As terrifying for me as this is admit, some changes are necessary. Partially because it’s time that THM and I slow-down our relationship and find a better sense of balance. But also because I have a few other projects in the works that are going to force me to divide and manage my time better.

I don’t want to keep pushing off workouts and skimping on the healthy food because there “isn’t enough time”. I don’t want to say no to an evening walk with C because “I’m too busy working”. I want to work hard to enjoy my life, but not have my life be my job.

So what does this mean? I will be cutting back to 3 or maybeeee 4 (should time allow it) posts a week. I used to post 6 days a week and over the last few months have dropped down to 5 but even this isn’t sustainable.

As to be expected, the focus of these posts will be my always favourite topic, food. Occasionally I’ll be popping in for an update on life, Maven’s Cravins, travel and some blogging-related posts. So pretty much the same as always, just less frequently.

While I am saddened that I’m going to have to be choosier when picking which recipe to make from my never-ending idea list, I also am excited to have a bit more free time to focus on some of the other things and people I love. Plus, I think once I reveal the other projects I am working on you will be happy about this change too.

My tentative posting schedule is looking like it will be Sunday, Tuesday, Friday with either Monday or Wednesday open should I have time to post. Otherwise STF it is (good thing there’s no day of the week with a “U”). I highly doubt you’re sitting at home trying to console yourself, but I felt the need to share with you why I might not be frequenting this place as often as usual.

Should you need some counselling, you can always stalk me on my various social channels. I can’t promise to be all that entertaining but I’ll do my best!

I just realized how fitting it is to be posting this on the start of Rosh Hashanah, the Jewish New Year. Lately, it’s been feeling like a chapter is coming to a close with a new one about to begin. I am excited/terrified/happy about what this next one has to offer and you better bet I’ll be filling you in when I have the time!

In the meantime, I’ll be embracing the change.

some changesHave you ever recognized that you need to take a step back from something you love?

September 24, 2014 at 5:09 am

I cannot wait for the big reveal. I already know you two will donald trump it.

Work out this acronym- TGIHYOSD.
    Arman @ thebigmansworld recently posted…Eating recipe experiments

Sigrid
    September 24, 2014 at 5:37 am

I usually never comment, but I couldn’t not do so for this post! I’m so happy that you’ve decided to take some time to breathe. I have had to do the same in my life, and so I know exactly how amazing it feels to finally have time to take a step back and open up my life to the people I love. It’s not truly living to me if I prioritize food/fitness before my boyfriend, my parents, and my friends.

So I’ll keep reading your blog! Definitely looking forward to seeing what projects are coming up!

meredith @ The Cookie ChRUNicles
    September 24, 2014 at 5:55 am

I don’t even know how you have developed, cooked and beautifully photographed so many recipes so many days of the week! Perfect time to find a new balance…. L’Shana Tovah!
    meredith @ The Cookie ChRUNicles recently posted…What I Ate Wednesday Fun

Lauren
    September 24, 2014 at 6:01 am

I am really happy you are going to find some good balance again girl – it is so important!! You are going to do it wonderfully I am sure of it! Can’t wait to see what projects you have lined up xx p.s. your new photo is beaut!
    Lauren recently posted…We Made It!

Linda @ Fit Fed and Happy
    September 24, 2014 at 6:37 am

No need to feel sorry about it, David a! You’re still posting a lot per week so we wont miss you 🙂

erin @ The Almond Eater
    September 24, 2014 at 6:38 am

Sooooo excited for the new project and for YOU–glad you are taking a step back 🙂 I’ve definitely found that a slightly more lax blogging schedule=more happiness and more time with M, which I enjoy. Oh, and eating snacks/wine for dinner? Totally been there.
    erin @ The Almond Eater recently posted…Where to Eat in San Juan, Puerto Rico

Cat
    September 24, 2014 at 6:44 am

Very good call lady! I find it easy to get into a trap of working too hard (again, self-employment + type-A personality = workaholism) and as much as I love it… I don’t love how it makes me say no to special people in my life, or not showering for days…

So, yes, embrace the change of schedule! We’ll miss the Daily D, but it’s for the best 😉
    Cat recently posted…NYC Day 4: A Manhattan Brunch

Tara Newman
    September 24, 2014 at 7:01 am

I love your honesty and self-awareness in this post! I can relate to where you are coming from and have made similar choice in my life on a regular basis. Wishing you well.
    Tara Newman recently posted…Why You Need to Hit the Pause Button in Life

September 24, 2014 at 7:36 am

Girl, last night I got home at 6pm and had so much to do that I didn’t even get to eat dinner. I got to catch up with friends for the first time in months, and prioritized finally doing something to the rat’s nest on my hair so that I look presentable for a meeting today, and kind of doing one of the readings that I was assigned. And somehow I still didn’t get to bed until 12:30. So basically, I understand, and I’m glad you’re making the right move for you!
    Amy @ Long Drive Journey recently posted…Chicago Bedroom Design

Em Todd @ CFGF
    September 24, 2014 at 7:57 am

Good for you, girl! Not easily done. But sometimes putting your foot down and saying it’s time to do what’s best for you can feel so good. Still looking forward to the posts. And if I’m going to be honest, it’s probably better if I have less that I try to read every day anyway. 😉
    Em Todd @ CFGF recently posted…A WEEK OF WORKOUTS

Emily
    September 24, 2014 at 8:08 am

You’re absolutely right! There’s no sense in killing yourself and making yourself miserable when you’re self-employed and have the control. While it’s great to get absorbed and obsessed with a new project, it’s easy to burn out and not realize it. You are setting a great example of recognizing your limits and what makes you happy in life, and sticking to it. I wish so many other people would follow that lead (myself included!) since we tend to gravitate to this it’s-not-enough, 12-hour+ workday culture. Enjoy your little extra time, and let it help the creativity flow!
    Emily recently posted…WIAW #8 and a Little Link Love

Kelly @ Kelly Runs For Food
    September 24, 2014 at 8:13 am

Excited to hear about the new project. Good for you for finding a good balance of blogging and taking care of yourself. No amount of work is worth running yourself into the ground over!
    Kelly @ Kelly Runs For Food recently posted…WIAW- First day of fall

Lauren
    September 24, 2014 at 8:24 am

YES! It’s hard when you’re doing something you love, but I found this month, I’ve had to let go of a few things (like posting so much on my blog/social media) to make space and give my all to other parts of my life. Balance is so key and is always a work in progress. So glad you are taking time for you.
    Lauren recently posted…How to Cultivate Body Respect (+ Two Common Weight Myths Busted)

September 24, 2014 at 8:29 am

Glad to hear it, lady! I honestly have no idea how you managed to keep up the insane schedule for so long in the first place! I feel like I’ve gotten better with the work/life balance lately, but getting here was definitely a learning experience that took a big toll on my health (and sanity). Can’t wait to hear about the exciting things you’ve got in the works 🙂
    Amanda @ .running with spoons. recently posted…. WIAW… the tastiest season of the year .

Megan (The Lyons' Share)
    September 24, 2014 at 9:13 am

Good for you!!! Trust me, I know how it is to pour 100% of yourself into 80+ hour weeks and living to build your business. But I also know we’re both in this for the long haul and we owe it to ourselves to make it sustainable. Keep up the great work!
    Megan (The Lyons’ Share) recently posted…Eat Real Food

Gabby @ the veggie nook
    September 24, 2014 at 9:23 am

Amazing Davida! So glad you recognized this and are making changes for the better, Health is the most important thing and you are so amazing for seeing that your health was being affected negatively. So many people run their bodies down for decades with work and then wonder where all the chronic disease came from? Good luck lady and can’t wait to see what’s in the works for you!
    Gabby @ the veggie nook recently posted…products i’ve been loving

Britt@MyOwnBalance
    September 24, 2014 at 9:30 am

I think it’s great you are trying to find more balance. It’s something definitely dear to my heart! 🙂

I went through a similar phase where my posting schedule was getting out of control and I had to cut back. I still have days where I feel completely overwhelmed by the blog but I try to remember that it isn’t everything and what is in front of me is more important.
    Britt@MyOwnBalance recently posted…My Pregnancy Essentials

Lucie@FitSwissChick
    September 24, 2014 at 9:33 am

Good Girl!! !I totally hear you. I went from 5 times down to 3 times. I still struggle with winding down at night and choose Social Media before reading – no bueno. But yes, it taked time to figure things out around blogging and I am glad you are on a good way to find balance again! Have some wine on that!
    Lucie@FitSwissChick recently posted…Don’t leave me hungry – WIAW#77

Emily
    September 24, 2014 at 9:33 am

Good for you! Can’t wait to hear about your new project!

September 24, 2014 at 9:49 am

I’m happy for you love! I feel that when you work from home, it’s easy to get in that mindset where you’re never really ‘off’ – it’s easy to keep working all the time. So good for you for wanting a more balanced approach!
    Sam @ Better With Sprinkles recently posted…HA Update: Six Months Later.

Jenn L @ Peas and Crayons
    September 24, 2014 at 10:07 am

Girl, I feel you! More than I could ever convey! Do your thang and we’ll all still be here! I’ve dropped down on posting, jumped back up, dropped again… its all ebb and flow! But isn’t life? =) Can’t wait to hear what you’re up to!
    Jenn L @ Peas and Crayons recently posted…What I Ate Wednesday #192: link party + a giveaway!

GiselleR @ Diary of an ExSloth
    September 24, 2014 at 11:01 am

I hear ya. I don’t even do half as much as you do and it’s so easy to get burned out. I went down to one post a week at one point cuz that was all I could manage. Now I’m back up to 3/4 a week.
    Also, can’t wait to see what project you’re working on. Positive it’s gonna be the bomb.
    GiselleR @ Diary of an ExSloth recently posted…Apple Surprise Pumpkin Spice Muffins

Jen @ Chase the Red Grape
    September 24, 2014 at 11:10 am

Glad to hear it! The best thing for health and happiness – you should always come first in your world! 🙂
    Jen @ Chase the Red Grape recently posted…A Photo An Hour!

Ang @ Nutty for Life
    September 24, 2014 at 11:18 am

Gotta have the balance baby! I’m happy you’re realizing that you don’t need to blog 24/7for sanity’s sake. Plus, I know at least one thing you’re working on, which is a BFD!!! Can’t wait for that one.
    As long as you keep posting stuff that makes me simultaneous drool and laugh (which is not a good look, mind you), I’ll be happy.
    PS you changed your photo on the side! I was just thinking how that pic didn’t look like that Davs I knew :p You’re beautiful in both, but I ADORE this new one.
    Ang @ Nutty for Life recently posted…Make Your Own Rules Diet by Tara Stiles

September 24, 2014 at 1:08 pm

Well, I’m a huge fan of popcorn and wine for dinner but I know exactly what you are saying!!!
    I’m glad that you are listening to your body and know it is time to make some changes!.
    And, I can’t wait to hear about some of your upcoming projects – I’m sure they are going to be incredible!!!
    Kim recently posted…You Know What?

Erica
    September 24, 2014 at 1:21 pm

love you Divs!! and proud of you always. xo
    Erica recently posted…Lineup #1.5

Alison @ Daily Moves and Grooves
    September 24, 2014 at 1:58 pm

You’re awesome. I mean, you already know how much I think you’re my hero, but this is just another solidifying example of it. It’s so courageous and competent of you to realize the changes that need to be made and to take action in order to carry out those changes.
    College has forced me to step back from blogging, which has been hard even though it’s not my job! But time slots open up, and we make it happen while also prioritizing LIFE.

Alison @ Daily Moves and Grooves recently posted…Notes on College {Chapter 2}

Diana @sosmallsostrong
    September 24, 2014 at 2:18 pm

You deserve to take time for yourself and other endeavors! I’ve said in the past how much i admire your work ethic and blogging as a job and its not surprise that you’ve got more up your sleeve! Take the time, take care of your body and enjoy the ride.

I’ll be watching and reading. 🙂
    Diana @sosmallsostrong recently posted…Quick and Easy Homemade Applesauce

Lauren @ The Bikini Experiment
    September 24, 2014 at 3:54 pm

Health and living your life need to come first always! Sounds like it is time to slow down and take care of yourself. Good for you and best of luck on your next projects!

September 24, 2014 at 3:55 pm

I can totally relate to you… I’m a total work hard/play hard nut as well! Most weekdays I’m doing work, school & freelance work, and blog stuff until super late at night. However, I also take breaks during the day to work out, walk my dog, run errands, chat with my mom, etc. so I think that that helps me create balance in my days.

I actually used to post 5-6 days a week as well, and once my Marine was no longer active duty and was home every night and I started school, I decided that it wasn’t sustainable. I now post 3-4 times a week and think it works best for me. As a reader, I have to say that I think it’s better to post 3-4 times a week instead of almost every day, because I normally don’t have time to read everyday, and this way it gives me a chance to check out every one of your posts instead of just some of them.
    Nicole @ Foodie Loves Fitness recently posted…Spicy Vegetable Wonton Soup

Megan @ Skinny Fitalicious
    September 24, 2014 at 6:47 pm

I so understand what you’re going through! I just quit my job so I could take something that would give me more time to explore the things I love and calm my life down. It was difficult for me to except that, but now that I’ve made the decision it’s made it so much easier to move forward and focus. We all need a time out sometimes and that is ok!
    Megan @ Skinny Fitalicious recently posted…WIAW…When an Old Friend Visits

Michele @ paleorunningmomma
    September 24, 2014 at 9:11 pm

I can definitely see where posting 6 times a week can only be sustained so long – that’s currently what I’m doing and reading this has made me realize something will have to give. My kids really have to still come first and, although I want to build my blog I also need to rethink priorities. Good for you to recognize the need to slow down, and also exciting to have new projects on the horizon!
    Michele @ paleorunningmomma recently posted…What I Ate and Did Plus Sesame Lime Ginger Ahi Tuna Recipe

Brittany
    September 24, 2014 at 10:46 pm

Hell to the yes. I love this, and I am so glad you are getting your balance back. There is no sense in letting life pass by!! IT’S TOO SHORT! 3-4 times a week is fantastic, and you can always deviate from that if you want!!
    Brittany recently posted…Post Vacation Shenanigans

Kelly @ Femme Fitale
    September 25, 2014 at 2:18 am

Just catching up on some necessary blog reading over here! If anyone knows where you’re coming from in terms of creating better balance in life, it’s this girl!! I totally appreciate and relate to how you’ve asked yourself, “Why did I begin blogging in the first place?” and try to return to the roots of it all. It’s so easy to get carried away in one or two aspects of life. It’s all about finding a balance! <3
    Excited for you and your upcoming endeavours!!!
    Kelly @ Femme Fitale recently posted…A Little Pregnancy Update

Kim @ BusyBod
    September 25, 2014 at 6:34 am

This probably sounds cheesy, but I’m really proud of you for doing this. Part of the reason balance became such a theme in my life was because I always took everything to an extreme, and I suffered for it. I think the exchange that sums this up most perfectly was when I called my mom junior year because I hadn’t been feeling well. She concluded it was stress because I was, as always, trying to do too much. She said “I would tell you that you need to give something up, but I know it would be pointless, because you would just find something to take its place.” As I got older I learned to recognize the toll that was taking, not just on my health at times, but on my relationships. I saw how John and I suffered when work was everything. What I’m trying to say is, I know just how hard it is to force yourself to do less, even when you know it’s not just for the best, it’s necessary. Once again, you’re setting an excellent example for your many readers and followers.
    Kim @ BusyBod recently posted…Bike commuting basics

September 25, 2014 at 6:52 am

Who says you can’t teach an old dog new tricks? I did not just call you a dog. Ok, technically I did but I meant it fondly and you love puppies anyways so it’s all good.

I’m happy for you and proud. Just don’t go filling your new found “you” time with all the new projects. Carve out some Dav and C relaxation time, and you’ll be good to go and able to bang things out with even more efficiency because you’ll be all refreshed and recharged.

Once upon a time, I did a post on this very same subject. It was hard and sometimes it still is, but it’s absolutely worth it and one of the smartest decisions I made: http://cleaneatsfastfeets.com/2012/08/07/super-women/.

Love you. You are doing great.

September 25, 2014 at 8:19 am

The fact that you could churn out 5 quality posts per week has always amazed me. You’re awesome girl and capable of so much, but sometimes being successful means NOT doing everything we’re capable of. Good luck with finding your new balance! 🙂
    Chelsea @ Chelsea’s Healthy Kitchen recently posted…Goodness Me Organic Farm Tour

cait @pieceofcait
    September 25, 2014 at 9:06 am

honestly, this is just awesome. you DO work your butt off.. and it shows! But sometimes it overwhelming, I think taking a little step back and enjoying more things you love is just what you need.. what we all need <3 love you girl!
    cait @pieceofcait recently posted…Skinny buffalo chicken cheesesteaks {wraps}

Chelsey
    September 25, 2014 at 9:24 am

YES! I can’t even imagine if blogging were to become my full time job, but now running my blog, plus having 2 part-time jobs and being a full-time grad student, things definitely get overwhelming! Pat on the back to you for recognizing taking a step back …it’s definitely worth it & your loyal readers will still be here!
    Chelsey recently posted…Apple Honey Cake for Rosh HaShanah

Alex @ Alex Runs For Food
    September 25, 2014 at 5:51 pm

I completely know how you feel. Since I started my new job two monthes ago I’ve been so mentally drained!!!! It’s been a while since I’ve posted, which really sucks! I’m finally getting to that point where I have more free time so I’m going to try to get back on a posting schedule.
    But I definately understand the need to cut back. Don’t sacrifice all of your personal life.
    Alex @ Alex Runs For Food recently posted…Gluten Free Strawberry Shortcake

September 26, 2014 at 9:50 pm

Girllll you gotta do YOU and live life and spend time with that hottie boyfriend of yours and relax and all of those things that you need time to do. You’re gonna be successful and amaze no matter how many times a week you post. xoxo
    Cassie recently posted…Now Trending – Best Links Week of 9.22

Kelsey @ Ramblings of Change
    September 29, 2014 at 11:19 am

So so proud of you! And you have to make the decisions that work for you and make your life happy and healthy. We will all be anticipating your posts, and I think they will have so much more to them if you are taking time for yourself at the same time. My goal for October is to make a blogging comeback, but I know I’m going to start SMALL (like 2 posts a week!). I think this will make it seem less daunting with my schedule at first!
    Kelsey @ Ramblings of Change recently posted…It’s 10:32 on a Monday Night.

thewhite_pages
    October 3, 2014 at 12:15 am

I love this, balance is everything if you’re trying to avoid a 1/4 life melt down. P.S. I blog stalked you for like the whole night.:)

October 3, 2014 at 8:39 am

Sam!!!! I’m glad to hear the stalking is mutual 🙂 Just nearly avoided that 1/4 life meltdown…

Jordan @ The Balanced Blonde
    October 3, 2014 at 3:41 pm

I know I’m a bit behind on this… but I am so proud of you for writing this and for realizing that more balance was necessary in order for this blog (and your health) to be its very best. And I can’t even tell you how much I needed to read this right now… going through something quite similar (“I’m too busy to workout, too busy to date, too busy to eat well…” whoops..) and decided to take an impromptu blogging break for the last 3 ish days and I NEEDED IT. Posting less doesn’t mean you’re working any less diligently. I will be patiently awaiting those STF posts 🙂 ANNND more info about the new projects! love you missayy

Lauren @ Sweat The Sweet Stuff
    October 8, 2014 at 9:29 pm

I’m SO glad you’re taking some time for yourself! 3 posts is perfectly fine! I actually think that’s better and easier for readers. Plus you gotta live to get inspiration right?!

Diane
    November 11, 2014 at 10:27 am

New reader here, your blog is incredible with gorgeous photos. Keep up the awesome work, happy to be here and looking forward to trying some recipes!
    Diane recently posted…45 Things Americans think when visiting France for the first time

November 12, 2014 at 8:00 am

wow Diane! Your comment just made my day. Thank you for being so kind. Sending you a great big hug!