gluten-free sides vegan vegetarian

Wild Rice Stuffed Portobellos

October 5, 2014

Wild Rice Stuffed Portobellos that are easy to make, gluten-free and vegan and full of nutrition for a delicious weeknight side dish recipe. Perfect for mushroom and non-mushroom lovers alike!

Whenever I visit a new city I have a compulsive need to try its “traditional food”. Not surprisingly, my idea of being a tourist in a city is eating my way across it. What better way to immerse yourself into a new culture than to eat like a local?

For the record, this is what I told people when I was caught eating poutine at 4:00 AM in Montreal at La Belle Provence…so local.

Wild Rice Stuffed Portobellos // #healthy #recipeBratwurst in Berlin, Poke in Maui, Falafel in Jerusalem, I’ve eaten my way across a lot of cities. Most recently I found myself wooed by the wild rice in Minneapolis. Apparently, Minnesota is famous for its wild rice. This was news to me until a wild rice harvester at the Minneapolis Farmer’s Market talked my ear off about it for a good 15 minutes.

He pitched it so well I had to buy some to take home with me. It’s sat in my cupboard untouched until now but I gotta say, it’s some damn good wild rice.

Wild Rice Stuffed Portobellos // #healthy #recipeI think I was subconsciously encouraged to whip out it out because I’ve been planning for C’s parent’s visit to Toronto from Minnesota. They’re coming next weekend and of course I have every meal planned out already.

While I’ve already planned for their entire Toronto food experience, I wanted to give them an ode to their home town. Thus was born Wild Rice Stuffed Portobellos! Cannot wait for you guys to get here 🙂

Wild Rice Stuffed Portobellos

• Total Time: 55 minutes

• 6 large portobello mushrooms
  • 1/2 cup uncooked wild rice (about 1 1/2 cups cooked)
  • 1 tsp olive oil
  • 1 small yellow onion, chopped (about 1 cup)
  • 1 clove garlic, minced
  • 1/4 cup chopped almonds
  • 1 T balsamic vinegar
  • 3/4 tsp dried thyme
  • 3/4 tsp sea salt
  • freshly ground pepper, to taste
  • optional: handful of chopped, fresh basil

1. Remove stems from portobellos and chop finely.
  2. Cook 1/2 cup of wild rice according to package instructions. Let cool in a large bowl.
  3. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
  4. Place a large pan over medium-high heat and add almonds. Cook almonds until toasted. Watch carefully. Remove and place in bowl with wild rice.
  5. Add olive oil to pan and heat before adding onion and garlic. Cook on medium heat for 2-3 minutes.
  6. Add in chopped portobello stems and cook for 2 more minutes.
  7. Add onions and stems to wild rice-almond mixture.
  8. Add in balsamic, thyme, salt and pepper.
  9. Line 6 portobellos along a baking sheet.
  10. Top each portobello with a 1/3 cup of wild rice mixture.
  11. Bake for 15 mins.
  12. Top with fresh basil if desired.

Nutrition

• Serving Size: 6

Wild Rice Stuffed Portobellos // #healthy #recipeIs your city known for a particular type of food? How do you like to experience new places?

Join 8000+ members of the THM Community to get access to exclusive recipes, healthy lifestyle tips and behind-the-scenes news from our team!

Kim @ Hungry Healthy Girl
    October 5, 2014 at 6:26 am

Texas is definitely known for BBQ and steaks and I have to say I don’t like either, but I am a big fan of their Tex-Mex. These stuffed portobellos look delish!
    Kim @ Hungry Healthy Girl recently posted…A Copycat Recipe: Panera Bread’s Autumn Squash Soup

Em Todd @ CFGF
    October 5, 2014 at 9:09 am

I TOTALLY eat my way through new cities. Went to Baltimore for labor day and found a way to fit crab into every meal. Heading to New Orleans in January for a marathon and you better believe there will be beignets for breakfast on day 1. My parents told me they were in the Niagara area last weekend and came home with 12 bottles of wine. Let’s be real, that’s the best part of travel.
    Em Todd @ CFGF recently posted…OKTOBERFEST BEER PAIRING CLASS

October 5, 2014 at 7:32 pm

Next time you NEED to visit Niagara with them and I will come meet you! We can drunk bike ride all around Niagara-on-the-lake 🙂

October 5, 2014 at 11:27 am

Things Pittsburgh is known for: Fries and coleslaw on sandwiches (Primantis), fries on salads, pierogies, ummm… not sure what else. Lots of unhealthy things. BUT when you come down here, we will find healthy things.

Moreover, who knew MN were passionate about rice??
    Cassie recently posted…Now Trending – Best Links Week of 9.29

Kate
    October 5, 2014 at 3:20 pm

Wild rice is one of those simple things that get looked over too often. It is very good! Here in South Carolina we love grits for breakfast and mustard based BBQ.
    Kate recently posted…What’s caught my attention

October 5, 2014 at 3:27 pm

How is the fresh basil optional? I call shenanigans. It’s a staple, and I love rice, all sizes, all kinds, all flavors, all textures. I am an equal opportunity rice lover.

I hope you have a fabulous time with C’s parents. I even think you should take them out for poutine at 4 a.m.. Give ’em the real experience.

Tara | Treble in the Kitchen
    October 5, 2014 at 4:51 pm

Yum! These look so good!!! 🙂
    Tara | Treble in the Kitchen recently posted…Five Things Friday 10.3.2014

October 5, 2014 at 6:49 pm

Wild Rice an Minessota? Never though to associate the two. Melbourne is famous for coffee and Sydney is famous for trying to have better coffee (but failing). Experiencing new places through food > everything else.
    Arman @ thebigmansworld recently posted…Microwave Cinnamon Raisin English Muffin

GiselleR @ Diary of an ExSloth
    October 5, 2014 at 9:56 pm

I don’t think Waterloo is known for any particular food. I actually googled it and called a friend just to make sure I wasn’t spacing on anything obvious haha
    GiselleR @ Diary of an ExSloth recently posted…5 things to have on hand for healthy snacking

Megan @ Skinny Fitalicious
    October 5, 2014 at 10:47 pm

My Dad grew up in the northern boonies of WI. They harvest their own wild rice. My uncle still goes out on the canoe to this day to get the family rice and they ship it to me to AZ. It’s one of my favorite grains. It’s always funny to me when people say they’ve never had it because Ive had it as a staple my whole life.
    Megan @ Skinny Fitalicious recently posted…Sunday Funday 10/5/14 + Follow Your Arrow

Jo @ LIVING MINT GREEN
    October 6, 2014 at 7:23 am

I’m not sure if Calgary is known for one specific thing, but if I had to guess, it would be beef? (And other regional fare, like game meat and icicles.)

This dish might be the answer to my Thanksgiving side dish woes! I need to please a vegetarian and a non-pork eater, so…

Hi! How was your weekend?

Em @ Love A Latte
    October 6, 2014 at 8:03 am

I’m all about trying recommended vegan restaurants when I travel. I love trying new plantbased meals. I live by a small city in Central New York so there isn’t a ton of options. Oh and vegan bakeries are very important to find! 🙂
    Em @ Love A Latte recently posted…Sleep Deprived Mama

October 6, 2014 at 10:30 am

So fun! I love stuffed portobellos. I can’t say that I’m sure what San Diego is known for (perhaps fish tacos or super fresh produce in general?!) but my home state of NJ is definitely known for its sweet tomatoes and probably all things Italian. Living in Cali, I miss being able to get amazing fresh mozzarella (although I’m in Jersey now and ate TONS of mozzarella last weekend so now I’m all good!)!
    Nicole @ Foodie Loves Fitness recently posted…Three Awesome Ways to Use Tea Tree Oil

Ann
    October 6, 2014 at 11:50 am

Yummy yummy in my tummy!! Sounds really delicious.
    The city where I study (Mainz, Germany) is known for Brezel with Obatzter which is a cheesy, creamy dip. However I think it’s traditionally a Bavarian dish. But who wants to be picky!
    I’m on holiday in LA right now and will also be doing trips to Las Vegas and San Francisco. I’m so going to eat some local food!! Can’t wait for a lobster roll. It’s not even traditional for these city I think but it is American and I’m at the coast so that counts! 🙂

October 6, 2014 at 12:10 pm

Who knew Minnesota was known for wild rice? I definitely didn’t! I love the taste and texture of wild rice though. These look delicious and I’m sure his parents will love them!

I explore new places through their food too. I don’t care what hotels we stay at, what clothes I pack, or whether I have room for a hair dryer… but you can be sure I have researched the heck out of the restaurant scene ahead of time and planned out everywhere I want to go. 😉
    Chelsea @ Chelsea’s Healthy Kitchen recently posted…Lucinda Scala Quinn’s Eggplant Parm Stacks

Alison @ Daily Moves and Grooves
    October 6, 2014 at 2:16 pm

Poutine at 4 am…I like your style. My favorite way to experience a new city/culture is definitely through the food. Escargot in France, paella in Spain (although, don’t buy paella from a Chinese man in Spain— authenticity down the drain), peaches in Georgia… New York is known for being a melting pot of many cultures, but people tend to like our cheesecake. 🙂
    I ♥ wild rice, so I might just join in on your family dinner.
    Alison @ Daily Moves and Grooves recently posted…Trying New Things…Like Horror Movies

Pip
    October 12, 2014 at 6:03 am

Yum! This looks delicious! I love finding new GF dinner ideas!
    Pip recently posted…Holiday Food and Guilt – How To Enjoy The Festivities Without Freaking Out

Chanie
    May 16, 2016 at 6:41 am

This was delicious, thank you! Def making again