drinks gluten-free summer vegan

Citrus Burst Kombucha Sangria

May 17, 2015

This Citrus Burst Kombucha Sangria, made with white wine, gut-friendly kombucha and citrus fruits make a healthier cocktail alternative. Your guests never need to know that this drink recipe may actually be good for them! If you haven’t already been harassed by me on social media then you may not know abut my current obsession with Snapchat! Despite my love-hate relationship with social, I’m presently very much in love with Snapchat. FYI you can follow me by searching “TheHealthyMaven” under users!

I’m well aware that Snapchat isn’t new and I’ve been using it for years for my personal account but for the past month or so I’ve been using it for The Healthy Maven and it’s been awesome. What I hate about social media is that it is often so curated and makes reality appear like one never-ending dream, but snapchat is live and in the moment and no number of filters or photoshopping can change the fact that my life is far from perfection. It’s actually kind of a relief to just be me in all my goofy, facemask-sporting glory!

This Citrus Burst Kombucha Sangria, made with white wine, gut-friendly kombucha and citrus fruits make a healthier cocktail alternative. Your guests never need to know that this drink recipe may actually be good for them! So naturally I was pretty stoked when my friends over at Pump Up asked if I’d be willing to do a Snapchat takeover of their account for a day. What this meant was sharing bits and pieces of my life from their snapchat account to inspire their followers to continue leading their awesome healthy lifestyles.

At first I was a little nervous. If you read Friday’s post you know that my approach to health is questionable to some in this community. Do I have 6-pack abs and perfectly sculpted arms? Nope. Do I eat chocolate in my oatmeal and indulge in a glass of wine? Absolutely. Am I okay with both? You better bet I am! The choices that I make to lead a healthy lifestyle allow me to maintain it in the long-run instead of it back-firing in the short-term.

But that still doesn’t mean that I don’t worry about judgement from others in the community.

This Citrus Burst Kombucha Sangria, made with white wine, gut-friendly kombucha and citrus fruits make a healthier cocktail alternative. Your guests never need to know that this drink recipe may actually be good for them! And of course, on the day I’m taking over their snapchat I’m scheduled to shoot a Sangria recipe LOL. “A Day In the Life of a Food Blogger” quickly became “A Day In the Life of That Girl who is drinking at 2:00 PM on a Thursday…”.

Nevertheless, sharing videos and snapshots of my life throughout an entire day actually made me realize how conventionally-healthy my life really is. I started my day with oatmeal, worked out, travelled with snacks and water, went on a walk and got in my protein and greens. So what if there’s a little bit of mid-day sangria in there?

Sometimes I realize I’m a little too hard on myself. Just because I don’t fit the norm doesn’t mean I can’t still roll with the crowd. I need to stop getting so nervous that people think I’m a sham. I may not always look the part, or act the part but at least I’ve got a part!  I’ll forever be that girl promoting gut health…one cocktail at a time!

Citrus Burst Kombucha Sangria

• 1 bottle dry white wine (I used Sauvignon Blanc)
  • 2 14 ounce bottles of kombucha (I used my homemade grapefruit version but any store-bought kind will do)
  • 1/4 cup pure rum
  • 1/4 cup of raw honey (more or less depending on how sweet you want it)
  • 2 lemons, sliced/halved
  • 2 oranges, sliced/peeled/quartered
  • 1 grapefruit, sliced/peeled/quartered

1. Combine all in a large jug or pitcher. Optional to store in fridge depending on temperature preference.
  2. Allow to sit for at least 4 hours before serving.

This Citrus Burst Kombucha Sangria, made with white wine, gut-friendly kombucha and citrus fruits make a healthier cocktail alternative. Your guests never need to know that this drink recipe may actually be good for them!  Take a picture of this image in the snapchat app to add me! Or search “TheHealthyMaven” under users. It’s like reality TV…but better.

snapchat

Grace
    May 17, 2015 at 5:25 am

This looks like the perfect summer drink!

May 17, 2015 at 10:17 am

I just added you on Snapchat!!
    Cassie recently posted…Foods that Increase Oatmeal Volume or Thickness

Pip {Cherries & Chisme}
    May 17, 2015 at 12:44 pm

I think it depends on your definition of healthy. I used to think that healthy was the PERFECT diet, flat stomach, running a million miles and squatting a zillion kilos. But now I know that if you combine that with a fear of drinks with friends, indulging in the foods you want to and taking a rest day when you’re tired then the healthy bubble bursts. To me, healthy is far more holistic. Healthy = balance.

SO basically, by that, you ARE healthy! 100% 🙂
    Pip {Cherries & Chisme} recently posted…Getting soaked in Cambridge

May 19, 2015 at 9:57 pm

So glad you understand! It’s nice to connect with people who share the same sentiments on health!

GiselleR @ Diary of an ExSloth
    May 17, 2015 at 5:59 pm

I didn’t read Friday’s post (yet) but I know exactly what you mean about not doing the quintessential ‘healthy’ things that the healthy living community usually touts. I’m actually working on a post about that myself, but it’s a little unnerving to just throw it all out there, so I’m sitting on that one for a little bit longer. We’ll see how it goes.
    p.s. ‘promoting gut health…one cocktail at a time!’ should be your new slogan
    GiselleR @ Diary of an ExSloth recently posted…Make the most of Limited Kitchen Space

May 19, 2015 at 9:58 pm

I sort of want to get it printed on a shirt or something lol!

athletic avocado
    May 17, 2015 at 8:06 pm

this looks perfect for a brunch! Yum!
    athletic avocado recently posted…PB Crave Review and Giveaway + Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Granola!

Lauren
    May 17, 2015 at 10:06 pm

Well if you are going to drink, at least whack some probiotics in right…!? Kombucha cocktails all the way.
    I certainly do not fit any norm, I am half hippy girl who loves all things nature, but I also love a celebratory glass of bubbles and to wear a fierce red lipstick. The last time I checked we are pretty damn healthy but also enjoy our lives and, to me, that is healthy. Keep up the good work laaaady and keep being you! xx
    Lauren recently posted…Food Matters TV

May 19, 2015 at 9:56 pm

I can’t wait to get a celebratory glass of bubbly on together one day 😉

Nikole
    May 18, 2015 at 12:35 am

Sav blanc is my favourite kind of wine 🙂
    Nikole recently posted…Spicy Miso Ramen Noodle Bowl | Healthy Vegan Recipes

Emily @ Sweets and Beets
    May 18, 2015 at 10:39 am

Omg, I am so excited to try this!

LB
    May 18, 2015 at 3:52 pm

Doesn’t the alcohol kill the probiotics in the kombucha, especially after a long time?

May 19, 2015 at 9:43 pm

yeah it’s not really meant to be added for its health-benefits 😉 Though it is substantially healthier than adding juice!

Lisa @ Sprinkle with Love
    May 18, 2015 at 5:00 pm

OHHHH that is so pretty – I am a sucker for a beautiful shot and this is one for sure. The kombucha and wine together is pretty nice too:-)