chili dinner Fall gluten-free winter

Sweet Potato Turkey Chili

September 27, 2015

Lightened-up chili using ground turkey and sweet potato! This Sweet Potato Turkey Chili can be made in one-pot and will feed you all fall and winter long!Sometimes I feel like my life is like a series of trends that follow me wherever I go. Currently, I have two trends following me and unfortunately they don’t pair well together:

Chili and warm weather.

Sometime near the end of August I started getting insane cravings for chili. If you know me, you know that I get really intense and specific cravings (last week it was celery…) that never go away until I satiate the need.

As you can imagine, chili cravings during a heatwave isn’t exactly appealing to most. Fortunately, I’m not like most people.

Lightened-up chili using ground turkey and sweet potato! This Sweet Potato Turkey Chili can be made in one-pot and will feed you all fall and winter long!And so, before September even began my chili addiction was well underway. We had beef chili, beanless chili and this sweet potato turkey chili before we’d even left for San Francisco. This was not a problem for me, but for C who runs at least 5 degrees warmer than me, he was all like WTF?!

So I think he was a bit relieved when we left for San Francisco and could escape the chili + heat combo.

But of course life has a funny way of messing with you…

Lightened-up chili using ground turkey and sweet potato! This Sweet Potato Turkey Chili can be made in one-pot and will feed you all fall and winter long!Immediately upon landing in SF, C’s sister suggested we make chili for dinner. I couldn’t help but LOL (and then be super excited while attempting to disguise my joy from C). The kid was a trooper and once we put a bowl of guac and chips in front of him, he forgot all of his woes. Boys are so easy to please.

On the other hand, what we could both get pretty stoked about is the Indian Summer that has been following us around. All I asked for for my birthday this year was an endless summer. Didn’t seem like I was asking for much and I’m pleased to discover Mother Nature agreed.

I hate that I’m taking up space on this blog discussing the weather, but the fact that it’s been sunny and warm 95% of the past month is worth noting. San Francisco even turned up the heat for us!

The downside to this is that I feel a bit awkward posting a chili recipe while I’m sitting here in shorts. But not awkward enough to NOT post it. That would be far more shameful…

Sweet Potato Turkey Chili

PREP TIME 15 mins
Serves 6-8     adjust servings

• 1 lb ground turkey
  • 1 medium onion, chopped
  • 2 bell peppers, chopped
  • 1 jalapeño, chopped
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 2 1/2 T chili powder
  • 1 tsp ground cumin
  • 1 tsp dried oregano
  • 1 tsp sea salt
  • 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
  • 1 28 ounce can diced tomatoes
  • 1 cup tomato sauce (ideally no-sugar-added)
  • 1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
  • 1 can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
  • 1 large sweet potato, cubed

1. Heat olive oil in a large pot over med-high heat. Add ground turkey and cook until browned (About 3-4 mins).
  2. Add in onions and cook for 3 more minutes.
  3. Add in peppers, jalapeno and garlic and cook for another 2 mins.
  4. Add spices, diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, beans and sweet potato and bring mix to a boil.
  5. Once boiling lower heat to a simmer and cook for about 30-40 minutes, uncovered or until desired consistency is reached.

Lightened-up chili using ground turkey and sweet potato! This Sweet Potato Turkey Chili can be made in one-pot and will feed you all fall and winter long!What trends have been following you around lately? Is it “chili-weather” near you?

Sarah C
    September 27, 2015 at 7:47 am

This sounds absolutely wonderful!
    Sarah C recently posted…Easy Tahini Salad Dressing (Gluten Free – Vegan – Sugar Free)

Michele @ paleorunningmomma
    September 27, 2015 at 9:31 am

Oh gosh I want this for dinner tonight! With cool weather finally I’m craving chili.
    Michele @ paleorunningmomma recently posted…Paleo Pecan Pumpkin Pie Bars

September 27, 2015 at 1:27 pm

Those Pecan Pumpkin Pie Bars for dessert! Yes.Please.

She Rocks Fitness
    September 27, 2015 at 11:03 am

Celery is an interesting craving…HAHA! I have been all about those sweet potatoes…Oh wait that is all the time! So good and so sweet and cannot wait to make this sometime this winter, when I’m freezing my booty off! Happy Sunday!
    She Rocks Fitness recently posted…She ROCKS Weekend Workout

September 27, 2015 at 1:29 pm

Right?! I feel like craving celery is a sign that I’m deficient in something..maybe sanity? lol

rachel @ athletic avocado
    September 27, 2015 at 12:42 pm

i don’t wait for fall to come before i eat chili either! it’s a year round thing for me, i love that it’s made in one pot so the clean up is a breeze! this recipes a keeper for sure, pinning 🙂
    rachel @ athletic avocado recently posted…Mexican Lentil Veggie Burgers

September 27, 2015 at 1:30 pm

I totally agree! Convenience will always win out for me!

Les @ The Balanced Berry
    September 27, 2015 at 7:36 pm

I mean, is there ever a bad time for chili? I’m thinking…not. And I’m sad to say in Seattle we have not had an endless summer – fall started right on time. I guess that just means I’ll eat more chili! This looks delish, I’ll definitely need to give it a try soon!
    Les @ The Balanced Berry recently posted…Healthy Pumpkin Spice Coffee Creamer

Kristina
    September 28, 2015 at 2:57 am

I am so jelous about the weather. If only I could live somewhere where it’s sunny and warm. I guess the only good thing about living in a place where it’s chilly is that I can make this chili without feeling all weird haha. I love this recipe!
    Kristina recently posted…Kookeet 2015

Art
    September 28, 2015 at 8:05 pm

But warm weather and chili goes so well together! Call me weird or whatever but I like my chili and any hot food better during the warmer days of the year. But then again, I think it has to do with the fact that I like to sweat a lot. It’s just so satisfying to burn a lot of fat while you just sit there and eat. Haha! I’m not sure about the science behind that though.
    Art recently posted…Watercolor Style Tattoo Ideas and Inspiration

September 29, 2015 at 6:20 am

haha to each his own! I also eat soup in the summer. That’s likely because I enjoy the convenience of a one-pot meal year round 🙂

Lily
    October 5, 2015 at 9:18 am

I saw this and brought the products the next day and made it that evening! It was very tasty its definitely another Gluten Free dinner i am adding to my list! Thank you xo

Ellen Eisner
    October 11, 2015 at 7:35 pm

Just made this tonight – YUM! Absolutely delicious and the sweet potato adds something so special. Thanks for the recipe!

October 12, 2015 at 12:37 pm

Thank you, Ellen! I’m so happy to hear it. It’s probably my favorite chili recipe. Glad you enjoyed!

Lisa
    October 25, 2015 at 5:06 pm

I made this for my book club this week and it was a HUGE hit. I’ve tried lots of chili recipes and this is now my new favorite!
    Lisa recently posted…Butternut Squash and Wild Rice Pilaf

October 25, 2015 at 5:40 pm

Aw I’m so happy to hear that! It’s my favorite chili recipe too. So happy you liked it!

Tina
    November 6, 2015 at 2:39 pm

I can’t wait to make this! Is 1 sweet potato really enough or could I add a couple?

November 8, 2015 at 9:42 pm

I big one, yes! But feel free to add as many as you like 🙂

Janet
    December 9, 2015 at 12:06 am

Thank you for the great recipe. It was a big winner with my whole family last night. It was delicious with a dollop of natural yoghurt on top. I found I needed to add a little water to it.

The Healthy Maven
      December 9, 2015 at 4:37 pm

So happy to hear that! Yes- it can be pretty thick. Glad you solved the issue and had a delicious dinner!

Molly
    January 6, 2016 at 11:56 am

I love this chili recipe. I’ve used it so many times for family and friends. You should totally enter this chili contest! I think you have a good chance at winning (because I don’t want to steal your credit)!

The Healthy Maven
      January 6, 2016 at 4:05 pm

aw you’re too sweet! I’ll see what I can do 😉 Wouldn’t that be fun!

Emma Sutton
    April 2, 2016 at 12:36 am

This sounds so good! Cant wait to make it. How do you chop up Jalapeños without burning your hands?

April 2, 2016 at 3:56 pm

Perhaps I’m not that sensitive but I’ve never had any issues with cutting the jalapenos!

Kelsi
    September 13, 2016 at 1:15 pm

Does this end up being a think chili? is there a way it can be made so its a little juicer/liquidy? If that is even a word lol

MaryAnn
    October 4, 2016 at 1:11 pm

I can hardly wait to try this; sounds so healthy and delish! Have you ever thought of adding brown rice to it? I’m just thinking the rice would make it a complete protein. Of course it could be added as a side. But for the convenience of the one pot meal, I may try adding the rice. Thank you so much for this recipe!

October 4, 2016 at 4:04 pm

Hi MaryAnn with the turkey I’ve never tried adding rice to make a complete protein as the turkey does that, however I have omitted the turkey and used quinoa! You should add about 1/2-3/4 cup at the same time you add the beans. Hope this helps!

Emily
    October 12, 2016 at 8:10 pm

Looks good! Tastes good. Having trouble with the sweet potato, it doesn’t seem to cook all the way through in the allotted time. Any suggestions?

October 12, 2016 at 9:42 pm

hmmmm that’s odd! I’ve never run into that issue before. I’d either turn the heat up slightly and make sure your potatoes are chopped into small cubes!

toni
    February 9, 2017 at 10:11 am

hi this sounds declicious do you have the nutritional facts?

Rebeca
      February 12, 2017 at 1:44 pm

Yes! Id like to know the nutritional facts on this. And serving size if possible! Im actually making this as we speak. So ill just gues-timate for now the srrving size.

Julie
        March 31, 2017 at 10:47 pm

Yes I’m wondering this too- how many calories specifically.

cdc
    March 11, 2017 at 4:17 pm

i’m excited to try this! i’ve always simply baked sweet potatoes so, weird question, do you peel them before chopping??