Fall gluten-free sides vegan

Butternut Squash and Wild Rice Pilaf

October 25, 2015

Spruce up your rice pilaf for fall with this Butternut Squash and Wild Rice Pilaf! A delicious whole-grain salad made with squash, almonds, cranberries and a simple balsamic vinaigrette for an easy dinner side dish or meal.In going into this post my initial plan was to talk about how I’m trying to bring rice back as a trendy grain. This is in fact true but I currently have a dog snuggled up against me in bed proving just how difficult it is to get anything done when there’s a puppy around.

As I mentioned in friday’s post, C and I are fostering a dog. He’s been a part of my life for several years but due to unforeseen circumstances he’s living with us temporarily for the year. That being said, he’s certainly made himself at home.

Meanwhile, C and I are wondering how we ever lived without a dog in the first place. Saying goodbye to him is going to be impossible.

Spruce up your rice pilaf for fall with this Butternut Squash and Wild Rice Pilaf! A delicious whole-grain salad made with squash, almonds, cranberries and a simple balsamic vinaigrette for an easy dinner side dish or meal.In the short time-span that we’ve had him, I’ve learned a surprising amount about myself. First of all, my voice is capable of reaching an octave I didn’t even know was possible. Similarly, I have a never ending bank of nicknames from which I can pull the most surprising ideas. Bubbles, Bunny, Stinkypoo…his name is Rhett by the way.

C and I both grew up with dogs but had to share them with our families. It’s a totally different idea when you are solely responsible for caring for another living thing and can’t depend on your family to do it.

Exhibit a) we got home from San Diego to discover that Rhett had basically self-mutilated his paw. Off to the vet we went. From taking a dog on the subway to actually being the person who had to remember his medication regimen to standing on a street corner with a dog wearing a cone bigger than his body, I can say with certainty that being the only (I’m including C in only) caregiver for a dog is definitely a different experience.

That being said, the moment I had to figure out what to do with this injured dog wearing his Elizabethan cone I most definitely called my Mom…

Thanks Mom 😉

Spruce up your rice pilaf for fall with this Butternut Squash and Wild Rice Pilaf! A delicious whole-grain salad made with squash, almonds, cranberries and a simple balsamic vinaigrette for an easy dinner side dish or meal.But besides the hiccups that come with owning a dog, I am completely and utterly in love with him. Suddenly everything that I seemed to think was important in life just no longer is. I’d rather cuddle with him than work and my days revolve around his walks.

I thought I would feel like I was letting go a piece of my independence gaining a dependent but I’ve quickly discovered that it’s exactly what I need.

It may deter me from writing about this Butternut Squash and Wild Rice Pilaf, but my life is so full of unconditional love and puppy cuddles. God only knows what it’ll be like once I have babies…BABIES!!!!

Butternut Squash and Wild Rice Pilaf

PREP TIME 20 mins
Serves 4     adjust servings

• 1 cup uncooked wild rice (I like Lundberg's Wild Rice Blend)
  • 2 cups Butternut squash, peeled and cubed
  • 1/2 yellow onion, chopped
  • 1/2 cup slivered almonds (I like to toast mine on the stovetop until browned)
  • 1/2 cup dried cranberries
  • 1 T balsamic vinegar
  • 1 1/2 tsp honey
  • 1 1/2 tsp dried thyme
  • salt and pepper, to taste

1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
  2. Cook rice according to package instructions,
  3. Cook onion and butternut squash in oven for 15 mins and then flip and cook for another 10 mins
  4. Combine rice with butternut squash-onion mixture. Top with almonds, cranberries and vinegar, honey and spices.
  5. Stir until well-combined.
  6. Serve warm.

Spruce up your rice pilaf for fall with this Butternut Squash and Wild Rice Pilaf! A delicious whole-grain salad made with squash, almonds, cranberries and a simple balsamic vinaigrette for an easy dinner side dish or meal.Are you a dog person? If you own a dog, how has your life changed?

Katie | Honestly Nourished
    October 25, 2015 at 9:32 am

Rhett is adorable so I can see how you got attached so quickly! And he’s lucky to have you guys! Dogs really are the best — the biggest thing ours has done for me is encourage me to stay in the moment and always be up for anything. Dogs don’t care if you wake them up mid nap, they are always, always ready to party and I love that about them! Speaking of partying, this wild rice pilaf looks like a party for my mouth! Yum!! XX Katie

October 25, 2015 at 10:41 am

Can’t wait to have little dog parties with green smoothies and buying ALL THE FOOD at Whole Foods with you!

Stella @ Stellicious Life
    October 25, 2015 at 10:11 am

Aww, dogs are the best! We also want to have a dog with Boyfriend but now is not the right time yet for us, but every time we walk by a dog on the street Boyfriend has this yearning look that women get when they can’t wait to have babies. So yeah, until we can have a dog of our own I’ll be reading your Rhett’s adventures, so share with us lots of photos as well, ok? 🙂

I hope his paw is better now!

ps. Just wanted to let you know, that the instructions in the recipe are missing, maybe the puppy pushed delete while he was snuggling in your lap 😉
    Stella @ Stellicious Life recently posted…Multicoloured Scrambled Eggs Skillet with Vegetables

October 25, 2015 at 10:40 am

hahahaha he actually may have! I likely just got distracted with snuggling and forget to add the rest. You’re always the best with your feedback. It is SO appreciated <3

Emilie @ Emilie Eats
    October 25, 2015 at 10:48 am

Ugh all your adorable puppy posts make me want a dog even more! We’ve always grown up with pets, but being at college makes it harder to take care of one on your own. But next year I’m getting one! I think it’s so awesome to have something that is completely your responsibility, that relies on you, but will love you unconditionally no matter what! Have fun with that pup 🙂
    Emilie @ Emilie Eats recently posted…Chocolate Chip Almond Butter Bars (vegan + gluten-free)

October 25, 2015 at 5:38 pm

Next year will be your year! And the meantime you can live through my instas and snapchats. I’ll give him extra love from you <3

rachel @ athletic avocado
    October 25, 2015 at 11:13 am

All puppies steal my heart, how could you not love them? I have a Labordoodle and she is the best thing thats ever happened to me, so furry and cute! Anyways, this butternut and rice pilaf sounds like a great GF alternative to stuffing for thanksgiving! I hate stuffing so i would eat this up! Pinned 🙂
    rachel @ athletic avocado recently posted…21 Healthy Salmon Recipes

October 25, 2015 at 5:39 pm

That’s actually a bomb idea! I think C and I are hosting US Thanksgiving here and I’m totally making this as a stuffing alternative!!!

She Rocks Fitness
    October 25, 2015 at 12:16 pm

I cannot imagine my life without a dog…They’re the best and teach us so much about ourselves…If only humans behaved like our dogs, life would be a lot more simple and happier…Just saying! Oh and how they LOVE that cone…They know they look so silly!
    She Rocks Fitness recently posted…A Little Bit Of This AND That…

October 25, 2015 at 5:40 pm

The cone is everything. Like so sad but also so hilarious watching them give in eventually haha. Also we also joke about what aliens would think if they landed on earth and saw how we treat dogs like kings and queens. They’d think dogs were the real guys on the top of the food chain haha

Mary Leopold
    October 25, 2015 at 6:49 pm

This looks delicious, but I was wondering if you have any tips on how to easily peel the thick skin of the butternut squash? Please share your secret! Thanks so much!

October 25, 2015 at 7:53 pm

Honestly, I just use a vegetable peeler! Takes about 2 minutes but it does the trick! Sometimes I’ll use a knife but I find I’m not as efficient. Invest is a good veggie peeler and you should be good!

Kristina
    October 26, 2015 at 5:07 am

Oh dogs, my boyfriend is trying to convince me to get one, showing me pictures of cute puppies and videos of funny dogs, but our lifestyle is not appropriate for a dog, we work all day and a dog can’t really be alone so much.
    This pilaf looks delicious and super healthy, big thumbs up for it!
    Kristina recently posted…Spider web cake for Halloween

October 26, 2015 at 9:23 am

I knowwwww! I was pretty resistant too. But truth is that I’m home all day so it actually made a lot of sense! I totally understand though 🙁

Lorrie Soini
    October 26, 2015 at 9:16 am

Are the cranberries dried or fresh?

October 26, 2015 at 9:20 am

Dried! Sorry about that. I’ll indicate more clearly in the instructions 🙂

Lynn | The Road to Honey
    October 26, 2015 at 9:36 am

Rhett is one lucky guy to have you as his foster mommie. It is so true that being the primary care giver for a beloved pet is far different from enjoying a pet as part of the holistic family. But I wouldn’t have it any other way. . .and it sounds like you feel the same.

As for this rice.. . with a divine little dish like this. . .I think you quite possibly could make rice trendy again. Move over Quinoa!
    Lynn | The Road to Honey recently posted…Chocolate & Pumpkin Oreo Cake

October 26, 2015 at 10:27 am

hahahaha your comment was amazing and totally made my morning! It made Rhett’s too…even if he’s passed out on my bed right now…oh the life of a dog!

Dani @ Dani California Cooks
    October 26, 2015 at 2:25 pm

Sometimes Nate and I dogsit for this amazing golden retriever puppy around the corner, and our whole weekend suddenly turns into revolving around him and his needs. We even tried to take him to a friend’s birthday party at Crissy Field and he started licking beer out of the bottles and we were like parents, admonishing this under-21 year old for trying liquor!
    Dani @ Dani California Cooks recently posted…Shrimp Tacos Al Pastor (gluten free)

October 26, 2015 at 9:01 pm

HAHAAHHAHAHA spot.on. My life has become about making sure Rhett doesn’t eat anything he shouldn’t and has his belly rubbed every 5 mins. Lord help me…

Whitney @ To Live & Diet in L.A.
    October 26, 2015 at 5:23 pm

Such a festive fall dish! Looks delish 🙂
    Whitney @ To Live & Diet in L.A. recently posted…3 Healthy Halloween Drink Recipes

Vicky & Ruth- May I Have That Recipe
    October 26, 2015 at 10:36 pm

This picture is beautiful…i just want to take a forkful from my screen. I love how you added butternut squash! Who doesn’t love dogs…they are just so friendly and cuddly!

Kelly | Eat Yourself Skinny
    October 27, 2015 at 9:30 am

WOW this looks incredible!! Such a great fall side dish and I love that it’s sweetened with a little honey, can’t wait to try this! 🙂

Whitney
    March 22, 2016 at 10:43 am

Hey Davida – I made this recipe last night with dinner and it was delicious! I substituted sweet potatoes for the squash simply because the squash at the store looked iffy. But it worked perfectly. I plan to make this again. My boyfriend thought it was sooo goooood too. Thanks!

March 22, 2016 at 3:27 pm

So happy to hear this! Love this recipe too 🙂 Glad you enjoyed!

Chris
    August 9, 2016 at 6:49 pm

Please tell me that you do not eat the rice uncooked? I couldn’t find anywhere in the directions on how to cook the rice.

Chris
      August 9, 2016 at 6:50 pm

Oops! I see it. Never mind.