dessert drinks gluten-free paleo winter

{VIDEO} Superfood Hot Chocolate

November 24, 2015

This Superfood Hot Chocolate is packed-full of immune-boosting, antioxidant-filled ingredients that make for one heck of cup of hot cocoa! From coconut, to turmeric and the sweetness of raw honey, this is a hot chocolate recipe you can feel good about drinking.Everybody and their mom knows that I’m sick right now. I am SUCH a baby when I’m not feeling well. There’s a lot of things I’m good at, but being sick is not one of them.

*blows nose dramatically*

The truth is, I have a cold and despite what I’ve been telling people, it isn’t nearly as bad as the plague. Though, anything that keeps me below 100% feels like the plague to me.

I just completely give up. I lay in bed all day, wallowing in my sorrows, while simultaneously drowning in the black hole that is YouTube. And I don’t feel bad about it.

But this time I vowed it would be different (I also vowed I wouldn’t catch C’s cold but clearly that didn’t work out…). I promised to not drag everybody down in my sickness and be proactive about the healing process…

with hot chocolate.

Yes, you read that correctly. I channelled all of my sickness into an epic hot chocolate recipe packed full of superfoods that would make me feel awesome instead of shi-tayyyyy.

And this is the final result…

Yes, my friends, this is me in all of my sickness glory attempting not to sneeze in my food. Admittedly, I rallied and did my hair and makeup, but if you follow me on snapchat then you witnessed the brutal reality that is me when I’m sick.

It’s not cute.

I was proud of myself for getting it together enough to film the recipe for you guys (and subsequently drinking 4 cups of it), but the second we were done filming I dove head first into bed. C was the ultimate and set up my death bed like it was a castle full of puppies, Friends re-runs and even it’s own make-shift tissue disposal! He’s a keeper.

Clearly, there are advantages to being a baby when you’re sick.

This Superfood Hot Chocolate is packed-full of immune-boosting, antioxidant-filled ingredients that make for one heck of cup of hot cocoa! From coconut, to turmeric and the sweetness of raw honey, this is a hot chocolate recipe you can feel good about drinking.But I really do think this Hot Chocolate really helped. I was back to my normal self in less than 48 hours, which for me is unheard of. It’s possible that my sickness persists because I kind of like being babied (never repeat this) but I’m convinced all of the superfood goodness really worked it’s magic.

All’s to say, ditch the tea and go for this immune-boosting superfood hot chocolate instead. If it can cure this sick baby, then it can basically cure the world. Drink up!

Superfood Hot Chocolate

Cook Time 5 mins
Serves 1 cup     adjust servings

1. Add milk of choice to a medium-sized sauce pot and bring to a boil.
  2. Lower to a simmer and add cacao powder and stir.
  3. Add in maca powder, turmeric and cinnamon and continue to stir.
  4. Stir in honey until well combined.
  5. Add coconut oil and whip in until all chunks are melted and mixture becomes thick.
  6. Serve immediately.

Notes

*if you can't find any, no worries! You can omit it.

This Superfood Hot Chocolate is packed-full of immune-boosting, antioxidant-filled ingredients that make for one heck of cup of hot cocoa! From coconut, to turmeric and the sweetness of raw honey, this is a hot chocolate recipe you can feel good about drinking.How do you handle sickness? Are you a hot chocolate drinker?

Kristina
    November 24, 2015 at 7:46 am

If only I could look that good when I have a cold! Great idea to drink hot chocolate instead of tea, you get some extra endorphins, so you’re not only boosting your immunity, but also your mood.
    Kristina recently posted…Zwitserse preischotel (Swiss leek dish)

November 24, 2015 at 8:26 am

exactly! I mean you can only drink so much tea right?!

Les @ The Balanced Berry
    November 24, 2015 at 8:36 am

I’m glad you’re feeling better Davida! I am super into this recipe. Most nights of the week I drink turmeric milk which has all the same ingredients minus the cocoa. But #duh of course adding chocolate would make it that much better!

November 24, 2015 at 2:52 pm

haha I know, it was a strike of genius moment for me too!

Amanda - RunToTheFinish
    November 24, 2015 at 9:07 am

I have everything to make this and I can’t wait!!!
    Amanda – RunToTheFinish recently posted…Fitness is Fun (Or It Should Be!)

GiGi Eats
    November 24, 2015 at 9:34 am

I’d prob burn the CRAP outta my mouth cause I would be so impatient and wanna drink that the second it were made!
    GiGi Eats recently posted…T-Rex Take Out, A Thanksgiving Appetizer

Lee
    November 24, 2015 at 9:53 am

You painted your nails for us. You shouldn’t have. Sweater credit- Fit Foodie Finds.

November 24, 2015 at 10:09 am

of course I painted my nails. Right, Jess? Team Maven. Also your sweater was a great addition to my capsule wardrobe. Have I told you I’ve become a minimalist?

Kelsey Yoki
    November 24, 2015 at 2:40 pm

Totally making this recipe this weekend! If I’m out and find maca powder – awesome – and if not, I already have all the ingredients. YUM! I feel a little off this week, so I’m hoping to find some ways to make sure I’m not getting sick!

Lauren
    November 24, 2015 at 9:43 pm

Love, love, love this recipe. I make something similar on the regs – its fun experimenting with some sexy herbs and making it taste good! Hope you feel better sunshine 🙂
    Lauren recently posted…Origins

November 25, 2015 at 9:15 am

I’m so happy I’m not the only one who finds herbs and spices sexy is the main takeaway from this 😉

JENNY
    November 25, 2015 at 10:41 am

Can’t wait to try it, I have everything except the macha….. have been meaning to find it but NOW it’s a MUST thanks for sharing and feel better. Gotta try it when I’m sick as well…. Who likes being sick atleast now we have something comforting to look forward to.

Emily
    November 27, 2015 at 1:12 pm

Excited to drink this all winter long!
    Emily recently posted…Happy November: Four Tips for a Happy & Healthy You

Lindsey Bomgren
    November 30, 2015 at 12:48 pm

Love this recipe and just subscribed — love seeing video with recipes! I just got back from the Dominican Republic and have some amazing raw cacao to put to use :)! Thanks for sharing!
    Lindsey Bomgren recently posted…5 minute holiday hustle {sweat-free, total body workout}

December 1, 2015 at 7:01 am

woot woot! Hope you’re sharing deets on your trip!!

tony
    December 19, 2015 at 7:13 pm

Just tried this recipe and it was great. Although it was a bit gritty, drinking it makes me feel nice and warm. I wish I could fit this into a regular diet as I am trying to find a way to regularly eat more cacao. Unfortunately, the honey and coconut oil in this recipe makes it pretty hard.

This recipe has Fat 14g (21%), Saturated fat 12g (60%), Sugar 10.5g (47%).

(Multiple by 2 if you drink the whole thing, which I did. Oops.)

So, I would have to be already eating an excellent diet to afford to drink this regularly.

Thanks for the good ideas. . I might try this again with hemp oil (which do not have a lot of saturated fats), and the bare minimum of honey.

Linda
    January 13, 2016 at 9:05 am

I added a scoop of vanilla-flavored pea protein and this is yummy! A great way to get my protein down on a cold winter morning!

Leah
    January 23, 2016 at 11:07 am

Davida, this was so delicious!! I just started a cold last night so I’ll be trying a lot of your cold/flu busting recipes I think!
    I’m glad to hear you’re feeling better!

January 24, 2016 at 11:04 am

Glad to hear you enjoyed it and hope you start to feel better soon!

Susel
    February 24, 2016 at 3:47 pm

yep yep I will be making this when I get home. I made your immunity boosting soup as I am currently sick and now need to make this as well! <3

Nadine Wesaw
    November 9, 2016 at 3:20 pm

Are all the ingredients alright when breastfeeding? and is it OK to serve this recipe to a 21 month old?

Cameo
    January 13, 2017 at 6:57 pm

I love this recipe. I am not a big SWEET person so to find this that isn’t bitter or spicy orjust gross is so great! it is now my favorite. Thank you!!

Lindsey
    April 18, 2017 at 9:30 pm

I just want to hug you! I have always thought that I was the worlds biggest baby about being sick so its great to know that I’m not alone! My baby and I have been passing a cold back and forth all month and I have found that it super sucks to have to chase a baby all over the house while you just want to be a baby yourself, so I have been downing immune boosters like crazy to hopefully break this cycle. And I have to say that this recipe is the tastiest one by far! Thanks for saving my sanity!

April 23, 2017 at 5:38 pm

Hope it helped! I know exactly what you mean. More than the superfoods, sometimes chocolate is just what the soul needs xoxo