This easy Weeknight Root Vegetable Dal is the perfect answer to dinner this week. It’s easily customizable based on what you have on hand and makes a hearty, vegetarian soup recipe full of nourishing ingredients!
I declare this cookbook week! Okay, not actually but this month has seen the release of some pretty epic cookbooks and I couldn’t resist sharing them all with you. If you missed the Quinoa Taco Salad I posted from the new One Part Plant cookbook, check it out HERE. But if you’re pretty stoked about week 5 of Souper Sunday, then hold on tight.
Honestly guys, I had another recipe lined up for you but recipe test #2 was an epic fail so I knew I needed to lean on a recipe a could count on. Cue The First Mess.
I’m notorious for not following recipes and coming up with my own creative concoctions, but on occasion I do turn to blogs for recipe inspiration. There’s probably 3 blogs I actually cook from and they include Lexi’s Clean Kitchen, My New Roots (whose second book also just came out!) and The First Mess.
Now I’m somewhat biased towards The First Mess because she is a fellow Canadian and Ontarian (even better!) so I gotta support my girl, but when it comes to coming up with cool and creative ways to cook vegetables, Laura is YOUR girl.
I wish you could see my face as I’m writing this right now. When it comes to whole, plant-based cooking, there is no one, NO ONE out there better at this than The First Mess. I mean Burrito Stuffed Sweet Potatoes…Seriously?!
As you know, a few years ago I drastically reduced my meat consumption and this has meant learning to come up with more creative ways to cook with plants. Sometimes I just don’t have it in me to come up with anything exciting, and this is when I know I can count on Laura, both with her blog and now with her new cookbook.
So when my recipe testing failed me, I knew I could trust Laura to step in. I flipped through her cookbook and with her permission, she allowed me to share one of her delicious soup recipes. This Root Vegetable Dal is hearty, flavorful and so easy to make. The perfect weeknight meal. Actually the original recipe is called Weeknight Root Vegetable Dal!
Now if soup isn’t your thing (WHAT? How are we even friends?!), she’s got some amazing plant-based meals and treats for your in her book. 100+ recipes and every single one has her classic, beautiful photography shining right next to it. Highlights so far have been:
Roasted Cauliflower with Green Tahini
Roasted Chili Basil Lime Tofu Bowls (SO GOOD!)
Chocolate Chunk Ginger Cookies
I’ve already told 3 people they need to buy this book. And now I’m telling you. So make this recipe, fall in love and then buy the book. SERIOUSLY.
- 1 cup red split lentils, rinsed
- 1 cup finely diced root vegetables of choice (carrots, celery root, butternut squash)*
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 1 cup cherry or grape tomatoes, halved**
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 inch piece of fresh ginger, peeled and minced
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- pinch of dried chili flakes
- 3 1/2 cups water
- salt and pepper, to taste
For the Spice Oil
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds (I used ground)
- 1/2 tsp coriander seeds (I used ground)
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds (I used ground)
- 1/2 cup freshly chopped cilantro, for garnish
- lemon wedges, for serving
- To a stock pot add the rinsed lentils, diced root vegetables, diced onion, tomatoes, garlic, ginger, turmeric and chili flakes.
- Pour water on top and stir.
- Bring pot to a boil over medium heat and then simmer for 40 minutes, whisking often.
- In the last 10 minutes, whisk the dal vigorously to encourage the breaking down of the lentils.
- Season with salt and pepper.
For the Spice Oil
- In a small saute pan, melt the coconut oil over medium-high heat.
- Add the cumin, coriander, and mustard seeds (or ground in my case). Once the seeds are fragrant, remove from heat.
- Gently spoon the toasted spice oil on top of the dal or stir in if you would like.
- Garnish with chopped cilantro and lemon wedges.
If you want to see the recipe that completely flopped and everything else I ate this day, check out my latest YouTube video showcasing What I eat In a Day!
Are you a fan of The First Mess? What’s your favorite plant-based recipe?
JOIN THE THM NEWSLETTER
Join 5000+ members of the THM Community to get access to exclusive recipes, healthy lifestyle tips and behind-the-scenes news from our team!