drinks gluten-free paleo vegan

Iced Golden Milk Latte

May 30, 2017

Have you ever tried an Iced Golden Milk Latte? Made with turmeric, ginger and cinnamon over iced, this golden beverage is a tasty and refreshing drink for summer!

Well, my friends, that fateful day has finally come. The day I swore would never happen. But alas, that day is here.

I, Davida of The Healthy Maven, have officially given up coffee.

INSERT 5457745 SHOCK FACE EMOJIS HERE.

You guys know how I feel about coffee. I have many, many coffee recipes on the blog. From lattes, to cookies, to steak, there is very little I haven’t tried mixing with coffee. I even include coffee in the bio I send out for interviews. It ends with “Davida is on her endless search for the perfect cup of coffee”. To say that I love coffee would be an understatement.

Side note – my Dad is 100% a coffee addict and my Mom cannot stand the taste or even the smell of coffee! What can I say, I’m my father’s daughter!

But as with all things in life, I’m slowly becoming my mother and ending my coffee habit is only just the beginning.

I guess I should probably explain why. We’ve been chatting a lot on the podcast about finding your own version of health and making choices that feel food for you. Well, lately I just haven’t been feeling so great when it comes to coffee. From the physical standpoint, my digestion has been feeling totally whack (you know what I mean about post-coffee bathroom fun…) and I have this gut feeling that it may be one of the biggest culprits behind my skin issues.

On the mental side, I’ve been noticing that after the two hour caffeine boost subsides, I actually feel way more tired. The pros stopped outweighing the cons and I just knew it was time to make a change.

It’s been two weeks now and I’m still 100% satisfied with my decision. You guys know I don’t endorse taking any extreme measures with my diet, but I just don’t have the ability to moderate with coffee. Possibly in the future, but for now I’m actually feeling better without it.

I will say that the hardest part of giving it up has been the ritual around coffee. I loved making my morning brew or going for weekend coffee with C. Replacing this habit with something else has been the key to persevering. Also, how great I feel without it has totally reinforced the behavior.

I’ve now replaced my morning coffee with a matcha latte, because I’m not quite ready to go totally caffeine-free and my afternoon cup with this Iced Golden Milk Latte.

Removing the acidity that I typically take in with coffee and replacing it with a less acidic option like matcha and then a dose of anti-inflammatories from the turmeric latte, has already started to show it’s benefits.

First off, my digestion has already improved. I don’t feel like I need to run to the bathroom like I do with coffee. And my skin has also shown benefits. I’m shocked at how quickly it’s helped, but hey, I’ll take it!

We’ll see how long I keep this up (I’m not putting myself on a timeline or any kind of pressure), but so long as I feel like it’s improving my life and not taking away from it, I think it’s a habit I’ll stick to. Plus it’s led to delicious recipes like this golden milk latte so there are definitely worse things in the world!

Iced Golden Milk Latte

PREP TIME 5 mins
Serves 1     adjust servings

• 1 tsp dried, ground turmeric*
  • 1/4 tsp ground ginger
  • 1/8 tsp ground cinnamon
  • 1 tsp honey/maple syrup/preferred sweetener
  • pinch black pepper
  • 1/4 cup hot water
  • 2 cups ice
  • 1-2 cups unsweetened non-dairy milk

1. In a small cup combine spices and sweetener.
  2. Top with hot water and whisk to combine.
  3. Add mix to a large cup or mason jar and add in ice.
  4. Top with desired non-dairy milk until cup is full.
  5. Drink immediately.

Notes

*Note: I like mine strong but if you're new to turmeric I suggest decreasing to closer to a 1/2 tsp before working your way up.

Do you drink coffee? Have you ever given it up?

Juliette | Namastay Traveling
    May 30, 2017 at 6:35 am

I love love love the hot version of this! Never thought to make it iced, look so yummy!

Joyce @ The Hungry Caterpillar
    May 30, 2017 at 11:09 am

I’m not a big coffee person, so I’m always excited to find non-coffee alternatives. Haven’t tried golden milk yet, though–I’ll have to give it a try. 🙂
    Joyce @ The Hungry Caterpillar recently posted…12 Low-FODMAP, Low-Sugar Snack Ideas for IBS

Josi
    May 30, 2017 at 1:17 pm

Can you make a big batch and keep it in fridge?

Erin @ Erin's Inside Job
    May 30, 2017 at 5:07 pm

I switched from coffee to tea a couple years ago bc of the same thing – the negatives outweighed the positives. I wasn’t getting anything beneficial out of drinking it, so I switched to decaf espresso, but then the taste started to bother me and I’m 98% on team tea. I will randomly get an almond milk latte, but even that has been disappointing me which is so lame bc I LOVE the smell of coffee and the whole ambiance of coffee shops. LIFE IS SO HARD.
    Erin @ Erin’s Inside Job recently posted…How I Use Collagen and How They Differ

Alicia @ Bridges Through Life
    May 30, 2017 at 5:21 pm

I’ve always loved the smell of coffee, but not a coffee person. I haven’t tried a turmeric drink yet, but they sound tasty.
    Alicia @ Bridges Through Life recently posted…Memorial Day 2017: MIMM 110

Ashley | Fit Mitten Kitchen
    May 30, 2017 at 7:22 pm

Okay,, I feel like you’re inside my head. For the past month or so I’ve been contemplating whether or not I officially go off of coffee for a while. I’ve been having the same feelings aorund it-bathroom, skin, cortisol levels- and just feel like I may be better off without it. But I’m totally addicted. To the caffeine and the ritual! I just love it. But I may need to find a way to love matcha even more… or golden milk. Or maybe even hot chocolate ☺️
    Ashley | Fit Mitten Kitchen recently posted…No-Bake Peanut Butter Cup S’mores Tarts [ dairy-free ]

Macy @ Paleo Crumbs
    May 31, 2017 at 11:47 am

I love iced drinks so much more than hot drinks, especially in the 90 degree summer heat! So I am super pumped to try this iced turmeric late!
    Macy @ Paleo Crumbs recently posted…Dairy Free Blackberry Honey Lemon IceCream

Caitlin
    May 31, 2017 at 5:45 pm

I try and avoid coffee as well! My stomach does so much better if I avoid coffee. I drink tea and a bit of coffee during the week.

Mallori
    June 1, 2017 at 9:05 am

I feel like it was meant to be that I would be reading your blog. I literally just started the process of kicking my coffee habit last week. I have been lowering by 1-2 oz per day (I drank quite a bit!) I have wanted to do it for so long. I Recently I have been focusing on self-care, thanks to wonderful resources such as yours, and decided coffee had to go due to digestive and other hormonal issues. I honestly wouldn’t have thought this possible a year or so ago. I connect so much with your work I have devoured so far. Lucky to have found your blog a couple months ago. Can’t get enough! Thanks!

Tara | Treble in the Kitchen
    June 2, 2017 at 9:25 am

Good for you for listening to your body and doing what it needs 🙂 I am happy that you feel great and are seeing the results you hoped you would!! Sometimes those issues can be such a mystery, it’s great that it seems to have been a pretty short mystery for you. I’ve had warm golden milk and it’s SO yummy and comforting. I bet this cold version is just as delish!
    Tara | Treble in the Kitchen recently posted…Things I’m Loving: May 2017

Brian
    June 6, 2017 at 4:47 pm

Wow, this one looks really terrific! Every time I visit this site I’m so inspired to prepare something tasty for me and my wife.
    Brian recently posted…Top 5 Best Crossfit Gloves For Pull Ups 2017

Rachael @ Rachael's Foodie Life
    June 6, 2017 at 6:01 pm

YUM! I love turmeric lattes, hot or iced they are amazing!! i have never made my own iced version though, i think i need to TODAY!! Thanks for sharing!
    Rachael @ Rachael’s Foodie Life recently posted…watermelon, cucumber & mint popsicles

Sean Mahan
    June 9, 2017 at 1:41 pm

Golden Mylk is one of the best drinks I’ve tried so far, and latte were always among my favorites as well. I’d never tried this combination, tho, and I’m surprised of how delicious it really is.

Melissa Novotny
    June 10, 2017 at 6:49 am

Hi!

Beautiful blog!! I look forward to reading and using more of your recipes!

I have a question about making the golden milk. Is it absolutely necessary to heat it? I’ve been making this cold and simply shaking it up, vs heating it on the stove. I’m too time crunched and if I have to take that step, I’ll never drink it.

Am I losing any benefits by leaving it the heating now portion?

Thank you!
    Melissa Novotny recently posted…How Long Does It Take to Smoke Ribs? Plus Tips for Better BBQ!

Dev Babbar
    August 26, 2017 at 2:37 am

I adored this latte! I generally locate that searching for these, what should I say, elective nourishment formulas, you find that everything contains coconut oil, and various stuff which can have a tendency to be very costly.