breakfast gluten-free paleo pudding snacks vegan vegetarian

Vanilla Bean Chia Pudding

May 9, 2017

If I’m being totally honest, sometimes I post about food, but I’m not really interested in talking about it. I’m always impressed by food bloggers who can dedicate 100% of their posts to discussing a recipe. This vanilla bean chia pudding is delicious and all, but I’m not sure how I could spend this whole post discussing it? I’ll try to sum it up in one line: It’s sweet, simple and easily customizable…also it helps me poop.

Yup, I just said it. Chia seeds are god’s answer to constipation. Try it next time you’re feeling a little clogged up.

Okay…moving on.

As you guys know, I love food, but food is not the be-all and end-all of my universe. So today I thought I’d dedicate this post to other passions of mine that I thought you guys might like to know about!

Besides the blog, my biggest preoccupation at the moment has been decorating our new apartment in San Francisco. I generally am not a huge interior design junkie. Our last apartment in Toronto was designed solely on its functionality. I cared very little about what it looked like. But now we’re older and I have a better sense of how important it is to cultivate a home that you love. So we’ve been slowly decorating it to be the home that I truly want to live in AND look at. It’s taken us 4 months and we still aren’t quite done, but I’m so so happy with it so far. Stay tuned for an apartment tour!

I’ve also been brushing up on my French using Duolingo. I did French immersion in grade school and at one point was fluent. I’ve since lost a lot of it, but because I learned it so young, it’s coming back quickly. This was all inspired because we have a trip planned to France this summer to hang with our friend Nick!

I’m becoming deeply obsessed with plants and horticulture. We still don’t have a yard, but I’ve made it my mission to bring the outdoors inside. We have over 10 plants so far and I am slowly becoming a crazy plant lady. I’m okay with it

Simple Vanilla Bean Chia Pudding made with fresh vanilla beans and topped with your toppings of choice! This basic recipe makes for the perfect customizable breakfast or snack recipe and only takes minutes to pull together!I’m also a little scared to admit this, but I’ve become that weird girl who watches random stranger’s lives on YouTube. It all started with Casey Neistat and expanded from there. I’ve totally stopped watching all reality TV and now keep up to date on random people living all over the world who are daily vlogging on YT. Also I’m kind of obsessed with unboxing videos. Who AM I?

I’m completely in love with all things astrology. Susan Miller is my idol and my dream guest on the podcast. I read her monthly recaps religiously and also pay for her daily horoscope. And I’ve now gotten to the point of asking strangers when their birthdays are to get a better sense of their personality based on their sign.

And lastly (though the list could certainly go on), C recently started working with me on THM. It’s not a full-time thing and we don’t know if it will be permanent, but we’re testing the waters and seeing how it works. It’s so nice to have him behind-the-scenes taking on things that I HATE. Aka anything to do with numbers of money. I’m literally numbers illiterate!

I’m pretty much an open book, but it would be impossible for me to share everything. But sometimes I wish people didn’t always associate me with food…okay and maybe not my creepy YouTube stalking tendencies either!

Vanilla Bean Chia Pudding

PREP TIME 5 mins
Serves 4     adjust servings

• 2 cups non-dairy milk (I prefer almond or coconut)
  • 1/2 cup chia seeds
  • 1 vanilla bean, scraped
  • 1-2 tbsp maple syrup (if desired)

1. Combine all ingredients in a large bowl and stir well.
  2. Cover bowl or place in an airtight container or mason jar and store overnight in the fridge or for at least 8 hours.
  3. Divide into 4 cups and top with ingredients of choice.

Tell me something I don’t already know about you! I love learning more about you guys!

Juliette | Namastay Traveling
    May 9, 2017 at 6:37 am

Love the fresh vanilla bean! This would make the perfect afternoon treat.

Marina @ A Dancer's Live-It
    May 9, 2017 at 8:05 am

This looks delicious Davida!! Hmmm, something you don’t know about me….I know every line to My Big Fat Greek Wedding and I thrive on hip hop/R&B music from the early 2000s. Missy Elliot? Ciara? YES.

May 23, 2017 at 5:33 pm

hahaha YES. Definitely did not know that about you! I loooooved my Big Fat Greek Wedding! Thoughts on the second one?

Pip | Life Unedited
    May 9, 2017 at 8:18 am

Yum!
    We are also trying to work out how to decorate our new apartment! We completed on the purchase a couple weeks ago so are in the renovation stages but MY GOSH I want it to be done and pretty already! Please say you are as inpatient as me..?!
    Another fun fact, we had an electrician show up to give us a quote DRUNK last week, oh the joys of London builders…
    Pip | Life Unedited recently posted…Crashing Back Down to Reality

May 23, 2017 at 5:33 pm

wait that is both terrifying and hilarious! I can’t imagine how anything gets done in London haha

Erin @ Erin's Inside Job
    May 9, 2017 at 10:18 am

Haha yes. I came home and was like NEIL HELP ME and he whipped out some kind of magical Excel nonsense looking at my financials with multiple charts and graphs all on one sheet and I was like uhhh I know how to sum columns?
    Erin @ Erin’s Inside Job recently posted…Everything Food Conference 2017 — Takeaways and Inspiration

Ashley @ Fit Mitten Kitchen
    May 9, 2017 at 12:19 pm

Yay for furnishing! We have such a long ways to go in that department but slowly (turtle pace) we will get there. I am hoping by fall we have just about everything taken care of to make the place feel homey! Of course there will always be little design additions here and there.
    And YAY for Curt helping you!! I was actually thinking about that today how nice it would be if Drew could help me with things other than dishes 😀
    Ashley @ Fit Mitten Kitchen recently posted…Sweet Potato Black Bean Mexican Pizza

Miss Polkadot
    May 9, 2017 at 3:37 pm

Seriously? I don’t enjoy food blogs where the author talks only about the food. A little funny background story on how the recipe came about is my minimum; preferably more. Which means that unless I’m genuinely interested in the recipe I’m not reading on.
    And hey, those people put their lives out there to be stalked on YouTube – no shame ;).
    Also: my sign is Aquarius – what does that say about me??
    Miss Polkadot recently posted…Good good links #184

May 23, 2017 at 5:37 pm

Ohhhhhh you totally strike me as an aquarius! It usually means you’re a deeply passionate person that also has a very good moral gage. Particularly for social causes. Seems about right for you 😉

Trista
    May 9, 2017 at 8:02 pm

I love your recipes, but I also love getting to know you beyond the food! (and I think the podcast is totally bringing out another side of you and with that, a lot of different content, which has been great!) I think I’ve reached a point in my wellness journey where I am a lot less obsessed and therefore less interested in just reading about what people eat… I mean, you think your YouTube habit is creepy, but if you think about it, it’s pretty weird how much we all stalk each other’s food!!!

May 23, 2017 at 5:39 pm

Oh totally! It’s so nuts. What’s funny is that I feel the same way. I watch a lot of lifestyle youtubers but rarely about health. I guess I just have a good sense of what I like to eat/workout/live etc.. and prefer to be inspired by or entertained by people outside of my field. But then I put out a what I eat in a day video and people love it! I’ll never understand haha

Alicia @Bridges Through Life
    May 9, 2017 at 8:25 pm

I love learning more about you. I am definitely not a designer, but I look forward to maybe setting aside a budget for one for a future house so I can get a pretty kitchen like I see on many HGTV shows lol. Yay for studying French. I took French from a 3rd grade after school club through 11th grade and honestly I hated how I could not ace it (reason I didn’t take it in 12th grade) then I had to take a language in college so back to French and I had the most amazing teacher and took 2 more semesters for FUN after that. It finally clicked! I just went to France in April, a few days in Paris and then time with family friends in Southern France which was so different from Paris and absolutely beautiful. I hope you have an amazing time. Also your photography makes chia pudding look so beautiful. I love chia seeds in my oatmeal in the morning.
    Alicia @Bridges Through Life recently posted…My First Visit to Iowa: MIMM 107

May 23, 2017 at 5:40 pm

Thanks, love! For some reason French just always clicked for me. That being said, I haven’t practiced it in years so I’m a bit rusty!

Lee
    May 11, 2017 at 9:43 am

I needed this pudding last week when I couldn’t poop. Excited to see what happens with Curtle and THM!!
    Lee recently posted…Healthy Recipes for Nursing Moms!

Lisa
    May 11, 2017 at 8:17 pm

Haha, I loved your comment regarding not wanting to talk about food all the time! I totally get it; there’s more to talk about in life than just food.
    Yes to Duolingo! I’ve been using it myself for a couple of weeks now to brush up on my Spanish. I’m traveling a fair bit and a realized a while back that being able to speak Spanish would come in handy for me. It just took me a whil to get out of lazy mode. But I’m loving it so far. The only thing they could do a better job in is explaining the grammar (I’m using rocketlanguages.com for that).
    Lisa recently posted…Going Off Birth Control Pill And Hypothalamic Amenorrhea

Stella @ Stellicious Life
    May 18, 2017 at 6:23 am

LOL, I just love you and how genuine you are! 😀 And though these vanilla bean chia pudding cups look lovely, I much rather read about what’s going on in your life, what you are passionate about than how great vanilla or chia seeds are great for my mood or health 😉

Oh great that C’s helping you, I personally would love to hear more about that: what parts has he taken on, and how it is working with your OH, etc.

And yay to refreshing your French! When are you going to FRance and which cities are you planning on visiting?
    Stella @ Stellicious Life recently posted…Things I’m Afraid to Tell You

May 23, 2017 at 7:23 pm

Yes! Would love to expand more on his role! We’re still figuring it out but as we get settled I promise to share more! We’re planning to be at a friend’s country house outside Paris 🙂

Chelsea's Healthy Kitchen
    May 18, 2017 at 8:20 pm

Haha I totally get what you mean about not wanting to talk about the recipe in a recipe post.

I love seeing how other people decorate their homes! Although when it comes to decorating our place, I’m totally lost. 😛

May 23, 2017 at 6:03 pm

To be honest, it’s been a long time coming since I have no eye for design (you saw our last place!), but I did a lot of research this time (thank you Pinterest) and with time I’m actually pretty proud of the result 🙂

Nicole
    October 5, 2017 at 12:08 am

Love it, love it, love it! Went better than I expected with my first attempt. My boys want more so guess what I’ll be doing this Saturday? 🙂

sohni
    November 15, 2017 at 2:31 am

yummy breakfast..i would like to try this
    sohni recently posted…How To Fix Syntax Error In WordPress? – Video Tutorial