gluten-free nut and seed butters paleo vegan

Almond Joy Butter

March 4, 2014

Get the taste of your favourite chocolate bar without any added sugar in this Almond Joy Nut Butter! Perfect for spreading on toast, oatmeal or your favorite smoothie!

It’s official, I have eaten chocolate with breakfast for 9 days in a row. I’m also very much back on the oatmeal train, cycling through my mocha overnight oats, cookie dough oats and almond joy oats like it’s my job. I wish it were my job…

The third one is responsible for the stroke of genius that is this almond butter. Almond butter is far superior to all its butter cousins when it comes to mixing into oats. I know this for a fact.

almond joy butterI’m fairly certain I ate oats with my Almond Coconut Butter for a year straight before deciding that other breakfast options might be acceptable. I was so obsessed that this almond butter was the first recipe I ever posted on the blog. It’s kind of a shame though that I did since I literally cringe when I look at the pictures. They do not do justice to the deliciousness that is this recipe. BTW, I’ve decided that subbing out the cashews makes no difference so I just don’t use them anymore.

almond joy butter 2But these days it’s been all about chocolate + almond butter. Typically I’ve been mixing almond butter and chocolate chips into my oats each morning, but thanks to an excessive amount of food and a limited amount of shelf space, I have to take out a stool and use some impressive acrobatic skills to get to the chocolate chips.

A normal person would just find a more accessible place for the chocolate chips, but I think we have established by now that I am not normal. So instead I nipped it in the bud and just threw some cocoa powder into some almond butter…with coconut. I swear the time I save from reaching, climbing, pouring and stirring those chocolate chips into my oats has been life changing. I consider this Almond Joy Butter the ultimate life hack.

Almond Joy Butter

• Author: The Healthy Maven
  • Prep Time: 11 mins
  • Cook Time: 10 mins
  • Total Time: 21 mins
  • Yield: 1 1/2 cups 1x

Scale
  • 2 cups almonds
  • 1 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
  • 2 tbsp cocoa powder
  • 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1/4 tsp sea salt

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
  2. Spread out almonds on a baking sheet and bake for 11 mins (watch closely so they don’t burn).
  3. Remove from oven and allow to cool slightly.
  4. Add almonds and coconut to a food processor and begin processing, scraping the sides down as needed.
  5. Once almonds become creamy, add in cocoa powder, vanilla and sea salt.
  6. Continue processing until mixture becomes smooth and creamy. Total process can take anywhere from 5-10 mins depending on your food processor.
  7. Store in a sealable jar in the cupboard for up to 1 month or longer in the fridge

almond joy butter 4

Kim @ BusyBod
    March 4, 2014 at 8:32 am

Chocolate for every meal maybe?? And yes I 100% appreciate your sarcasm. Please keep it coming! I’m slightly terrified of trying to make my own nut butter, but now that I have my own food processor, I think I have to get adventurous and take the plunge. What’s the worst that can happen? A chocolate/almond/coconut concoction that isn’t smooth enough to be butter? Sounds like a pretty good consolation prize to me. 🙂

Alexis @ Hummusapien
    March 4, 2014 at 8:30 am

Errrmygerrrd. The sea salt addition kills me. Like I’m dying. #obsessed

March 6, 2014 at 6:10 pm

besties for the resties!!! Stalking out the closest TJs next week so we can be lunchbox buddies. You have no idea how excited I am. Wow we are such foodies…p.s. update me on yo lyfeeeee and one person in particular. k thanks.

Kelly @ Kelly Runs for Food
    March 4, 2014 at 8:26 am

This looks….incredible. I need a food processor stat! Holy cow, I don’t think a jar of this would even make it a full week in my house. Chocolate for breakfast: yay. And yay to sarcasm!

Tiff
    March 4, 2014 at 8:10 am

I’ve only recently gotten into AB instead of PB. Perhaps I’d save a buck making my own.

Alison @ Daily Moves and Grooves
    March 4, 2014 at 7:30 am

I ♥ your sarcasm. It’s a fun part of my mornings. 🙂
    Almond joys are one of the few candies that my mom and I will eat, so to have it in nut butter form….PERFECT. I’m normally not a chocolate girl, but add in coconut and almonds, and you’ve won me over!

Elise @ 9toFit.com
    March 4, 2014 at 7:29 am

Your sarcasm is one of the reasons I love you blog (that and the banging recipes obv)

Jess @dearhealthyness
    March 4, 2014 at 6:35 am

Sarcasm? What’s that? No seriously, I love it!

Chocolate for breakfast super Yay I use it too almost every single day, of course with precious oats!

I need a food processor to make this now!!

Jan @ Sprouts n Squats
    March 4, 2014 at 6:13 am

No I hate your sarcasm 😉 >>>pls note my sarcasm right here.

I need a proper food processor in my life so I can make stuff like this.

Chocolate for breakfast is always for the win in my book 🙂

meredith @ The Cookie ChRUNicles
    March 4, 2014 at 6:00 am

Love your sarcasm! It’s funny, I live for chocolate and have a complete sweet tooth but very very rarely do I want chocolate at breakfast (although I used to love my morning bowls of Cocoa Pebbles – note the word “bowls”)…I do love peanut butter at breakfast though. Unfortunately, I have an almond allergy but this does sound delish if I were to use peanut butter!

Ruby
    March 4, 2014 at 5:42 am

Oookay so this looks like heaven in a jar. Chocolate & sarcasm & almond butter are some of my favorite things in the world. So, thank you.

Jen @ Chase the Red Grape
    March 4, 2014 at 5:39 am

Oh my goodness – soooo on the list to make! Looks incredible!

Thank you Arman for tweeting!!! 🙂

March 6, 2014 at 6:05 pm

Arman is my PR man. He knows I’ll blackmail the whole world with his selfies if he doesn’t tweet my recipes 😉 Just kidding!!!! Glad you like 🙂

March 4, 2014 at 5:28 am

Your sarcasm is one of your most endearing qualities.

Chocolate for breakfast is never frowned upon (how many of those 9 days involved lava cakes….)

And guess what. THIS RECIPE IS HASHTAG WHOLEARMAN. HASHTAG I NEED A FOOD PROCESSOR.

March 6, 2014 at 6:03 pm

hashtag use your meat grinder. Hashtag congrats to me on not eating chocolate this morning. hashtag I could eat the entire jar of this but it’s fine because I can run 12 marathons in a row!

1 2 3 7