gluten-free nut and seed butters paleo vegan

Almond Joy Butter

March 4, 2014

Get the taste of your favourite chocolate bar without any added sugar in this Almond Joy Nut Butter! Perfect for spreading on toast, oatmeal or your favorite smoothie!

It’s official, I have eaten chocolate with breakfast for 9 days in a row. I’m also very much back on the oatmeal train, cycling through my mocha overnight oats, cookie dough oats and almond joy oats like it’s my job. I wish it were my job…

The third one is responsible for the stroke of genius that is this almond butter. Almond butter is far superior to all its butter cousins when it comes to mixing into oats. I know this for a fact.

almond joy butterI’m fairly certain I ate oats with my Almond Coconut Butter for a year straight before deciding that other breakfast options might be acceptable. I was so obsessed that this almond butter was the first recipe I ever posted on the blog. It’s kind of a shame though that I did since I literally cringe when I look at the pictures. They do not do justice to the deliciousness that is this recipe. BTW, I’ve decided that subbing out the cashews makes no difference so I just don’t use them anymore.

almond joy butter 2But these days it’s been all about chocolate + almond butter. Typically I’ve been mixing almond butter and chocolate chips into my oats each morning, but thanks to an excessive amount of food and a limited amount of shelf space, I have to take out a stool and use some impressive acrobatic skills to get to the chocolate chips.

A normal person would just find a more accessible place for the chocolate chips, but I think we have established by now that I am not normal. So instead I nipped it in the bud and just threw some cocoa powder into some almond butter…with coconut. I swear the time I save from reaching, climbing, pouring and stirring those chocolate chips into my oats has been life changing. I consider this Almond Joy Butter the ultimate life hack.

Almond Joy Butter

• Author: The Healthy Maven
  • Prep Time: 11 mins
  • Cook Time: 10 mins
  • Total Time: 21 mins
  • Yield: 1 1/2 cups 1x

Scale
  • 2 cups almonds
  • 1 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
  • 2 tbsp cocoa powder
  • 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1/4 tsp sea salt

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
  2. Spread out almonds on a baking sheet and bake for 11 mins (watch closely so they don’t burn).
  3. Remove from oven and allow to cool slightly.
  4. Add almonds and coconut to a food processor and begin processing, scraping the sides down as needed.
  5. Once almonds become creamy, add in cocoa powder, vanilla and sea salt.
  6. Continue processing until mixture becomes smooth and creamy. Total process can take anywhere from 5-10 mins depending on your food processor.
  7. Store in a sealable jar in the cupboard for up to 1 month or longer in the fridge

almond joy butter 4

Cara's Healthy Cravings
    March 6, 2014 at 7:26 pm

I would love to have some of this to stir into my oatmeal in the morning, Mmmmmm!

Whitney @ To Live & Diet in L.A.
    March 6, 2014 at 4:36 pm

As if my almond butter addiction wasn’t bad enough, now I have this to deal with, thanks 🙂 I’m seriously afraid if I made this I would just end up drinking it all like a smoothie.

Question: what kind of food processor do you use? I have a crappy little four cup one and it never seems to get the butter to this level of creamy amazingness. I recently got a vitamix though…could I make it in there?

Sarah Pie
    March 6, 2014 at 9:56 am

GIMMME!!! I don’t eve like almond joys as a candy bar but as an almond butter flavor I think I could make a happy exception because this just sounds like heaven in a jar… or on a spoon.

March 5, 2014 at 11:59 pm

I loveeeee almond butter. And chocolate. On their own they’re amazing, but they’re even better when they’re together. HELL YEA to chocolate with breakfast! I ate a Zing dark chocolate sunflower mint bar for breakfast this morning actually.

Brittany @ Delights and Delectables
    March 5, 2014 at 11:19 pm

Oh girl!! This looks amazing!! It wouldn’t last long in this house!

Lauren @ Jesus and a Side of Peanut Butter
    March 5, 2014 at 10:14 pm

OH MY GOODNESS GRACIOUS. I tend to shy away from caps lock sentence, but this recipe. This recipe is beyond worthy of my enthusiasm. What a simple idea– but I’ve never thought of combining the two flavors (aside from almond joys, of course). Aghhh I want to take that spoon and just eat all of it.!

Lindsay @ Shiny Love Affair
    March 5, 2014 at 9:37 pm

YUM. This looks seriously amazing. I love a good almond butter. I also LOVE your sarcasm.

Mary Frances
    March 5, 2014 at 1:45 pm

Almond butter is waaay superior … unfortunately also in cost, but hey, it tastes so good! If I had to pick my last candy bar to eat on earth, it would be the Almond Joy. I have now decided Almond Joy Butter Oatmeal will suffice. 🙂 Pinning this!

Allison @ Life's a Bowl
    March 5, 2014 at 7:12 am

I could have sworn that I commented yesterday, but I don’t see it – maybe I’m a spammer? 😛 But nonetheless… This looks INSANELY delicious! I’m giving up soda and candy for Lent, but this is nut butter so it’s not technically candy… Right?!

Sarah & Arkadi
    March 5, 2014 at 12:00 am

i forgot i have some almost butter in the pantry ! yours looks amazing! love that salt on top!

March 4, 2014 at 10:13 pm

A day without chocolate with breakfast is not a day I’m interested in living. This looks amazing and now I want almond joy oats. Why did I make stupid strawberry coconut overnight oats for tomorrow already? 🙁 Oh yeah, because my dad started drinking almond milk and we are OUT. And I love your sarcasm, duh.

Pamela @ Brooklyn Farm Girl
    March 4, 2014 at 10:05 pm

Can I just eat this out of the container? Please! Oh goodness, please! Talk about a fun afternoon..

And now I need chocolate for breakfast tomorrow morning!

1 3 4 5 6 7