gluten-free lunch paleo salads

Bacon and Brussels Sprout Caesar Slaw

September 30, 2014

No, you haven’t come to the wrong place I am indeed posting a recipe with bacon. I have seen the light! The light came while waiting for an early morning flight to Minneapolis. Yes, my first pieces of bacon were eaten airport-style. And it was amazing.

Let’s back up a bit.Β

Bacon and Brussels Sprout Caesar Slaw - #lunch ready in 10 minutes! // thehealthymaven.comI knew this day would come. Bacon had snuck its way into some of my meals and to be honest, I didn’t hate it. I quickly discovered that it wasn’t the taste that I didn’t like but it was the smell of cooking it. This revelation led to a week of extreme bacon consumption. I went from someone who had never ordered bacon in their life to ordering it 3 times in one week! Pandora’s box had been opened…

Remember last month when I posted that Honey Mustard Veggie Frittata using Nature’s Palate Honey Mustard Glaze? I am absolutely obsessed with their Honey Mustard Glaze, but they actually have two other products! One of them is a Paleo Bacon Caesar Dressing. At first I was a little anxious because of my bacon issues, but clearly this problem has been solved and I’m now drenching my salads in this dressing!

Bacon and Brussels Sprout Caesar Slaw - #lunch ready in 10 minutes! // thehealthymaven.com #recipeJust like their Honey Mustard Glaze, their Bacon Caesar Dressing is made from whole, REAL ingredients. No preservatives or artificial ingredients.

Olive Oil, Water, Pasteurized Egg Yolks, Red Wine Vinegar, Anchovy Fillets, Honey, Garlic, Pure Lemon Juice Concentrate, Bacon, Black pepper, Sea Salt, Dijon Mustard, Mustard Seeds, Cayenne.

Tell me you don’t know every single one of these ingredients! Products like this make me smile πŸ™‚

Bacon and Brussels Sprout Caesar Slaw - #lunch ready in 10 minutes! // thehealthymaven.com #recipeAs part of my partnership with NP, I am creating recipes using their awesome glazes and dressings. The premise behind NP is to help people make quick meals from real ingredients. I decided to stick with this mentality when creating recipes for them. The Honey Mustard Veggie Frittata made a filling and delicious breakfast in under 30 minutes. I wanted to do the same for lunch, which is how this Bacon and Brussels Sprout Caesar Slaw was born.

I even sucked up my dislike of bacon grease smell for it! And despite smelling like a greasy diner for the next 3 days, it was absolutely worth it.

Bacon and Brussels Sprouts Caesar Slaw

Scale

1. Cut off bottom of brussels sprouts and slice thinly from base to tip to create brussels sprout “slaw”.
  2. Cook bacon over medium heat for 3 minutes on each side. Remove from heat and place on a paper towel to soak up some of the grease.
  3. Chop bacon into small pieces and add to a large bowl with brussels sprouts.
  4. Top with dressing and mix until well-coated.
  5. Serve immediately or will keep for several days in fridge.

This is a sponsored post written on behalf of Nature’s Palate. I was compensated but as always all opinions are my own. Thank you for supporting my dream of running THM as a business and allowing me to do what I love for a living.Β

Is there a food that you used to hate that you now love? Have you tried Nature’s Palate? If not, you NEED it in your life.

Dixya @ Food, Pleasure, and Health
    September 30, 2014 at 10:44 am

im not a bacon person either but this salad, i m considering it.

Anna
    September 30, 2014 at 10:37 am

I recently realized I like oysters and mussels, of all things. I guess my “hate” for them was based on nothing before because I’d never tried them, but I’m all about the texture of things and I could not handle even looking at an oyster. One thing that will never change though is my hate for mushrooms. I try them every year just in case, and every year I can’t handle them.

This recipe looks great! The dressing sounds delicious.

October 1, 2014 at 12:24 pm

So funny cause I used to LOVE oysters and mussels but ever since having a bad oyster experience I cannot for the life of me get myself to eat them again! As for mushrooms, I eat enough for the both of us πŸ˜‰

Brittany
    September 30, 2014 at 10:21 am

Wait…you had never had bacon before..like…ever???? HOW IS THAT EVEN POSSIBLE!? Actually I’m kind of impressed. People in America are OBSESSED with bacon and honestly it’s somewhat disgusting the extent some of these people go. I CANNOT STAND the smell, it repulses me and even when I ate meat bacon was at the BOTTOM of the list. WITH that said, I can still appreciate the simplicity of this recipe, and the bacon is minimal enough that it’s not overdone. Thumbs up.

October 1, 2014 at 12:25 pm

I’m so happy to hear I’m not the only person who hates the smell of bacon!! And yes, I literally only tried it for the first time two weeks ago. I know…so weird.

[email protected]
    September 30, 2014 at 8:52 am

I am not a hige bacon lover, but I guess it is the same ‘problem’ about the smell. Cause when I taste it, then I actuall like it. And brussels sprouts – it’s what takes over when kabocha goes out of season. Love.

cait @pieceofcait
    September 30, 2014 at 8:31 am

I don’t have bacon often.. mostly when i brunch and i had a caramelized bacon with pepper and sugar the other day…. life changing πŸ™‚

GiselleR @ Diary of an ExSloth
    September 30, 2014 at 7:56 am

I absolutely hate the smell of cooking bacon too so at home I have turkey bacon and I get the good stuff occasionally when I go out.
    Also, I once wrote an entire post dedicated to foods I used to hate. Peanut butter was on that list. Blasphemous, I know.

Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table
    September 30, 2014 at 7:56 am

I’m sorry… not liking bacon?! Does not compute. πŸ˜‰

October 1, 2014 at 12:25 pm

LOL!!! At least I’ve finally seen the light! Forgive me??

Tina muir
    September 30, 2014 at 7:40 am

No, I hav not heard of natures palate, but it sounds lovely! I am a huge honey mustard lover, so that would be great. Love that bacon was the focus of this post, as you didnt like it before……not the brussels haha! Glad you have found its true beauty though….still waiting on that to happen with eggs!

October 1, 2014 at 12:26 pm

I know, I’m like the only person in the world who loves brussels but didn’t like bacon! Now I like both so it’s all good πŸ™‚

erin @ The Almond Eater
    September 30, 2014 at 7:31 am

Thank you for this simple recipe. I’m also not a huge bacon lover by itself, but I think it adds the perfect oomph to certain dishes. I’m glad you’ve seen the light, especially for NP’s sake πŸ˜‰

Michele @ paleorunningmomma
    September 30, 2014 at 6:56 am

I eat a lot of bacon, looks awesome πŸ™‚

meredith @ The Cookie ChRUNicles
    September 30, 2014 at 6:47 am

I would probably love bacon and Brussels sprouts if I still ate bacon lol. I used to like a good BLT too from time to time.

September 30, 2014 at 5:40 am

Wow, so you weren’t kidding about the bacon in the airport or that you were busy on monday making bacon haha.

Bacon + Brussels is an epic pairing and may or may not be seeing me request this πŸ˜‰

1 2 3