Sweet cherries topped with a toasted oat crumble make this gluten-free cherry crumble the perfect summer dessert! Enjoy this healthy dessert all summer long.
I love when I create recipes that are the perfect mix of healthy and indulgence. This gluten free cherry crumble is that recipe. Traditional cherry crisp recipes are made from cherry pie filling, all-purpose flour, butter (or margarine!) and brown sugar. I am proud to say I successfully upgraded the traditional recipe to a flavorful, gluten-free, vegan option. You can thank me later!
I obviously wanted to keep the overall flavor the same as the traditional version but I wanted to use fresh and whole ingredients when possible. I made three main changes:
- In place of cherry pie filling, I used fresh cherries.
- In place of all-purpose flour, I used oat flour.
- And in place of butter/margarine, I used coconut oil.
The end result is just as delicious (or dare I say better?!) than the traditional. I love how light and refreshing it is while also being extremely satisfying. Pro tip: enjoy a la mode. 😉
Ingredients in Healthy Cherry Crisp
- fresh cherries
- coconut palm sugar
- gluten-free oat flour
- gluten-free rolled oats
- sea salt
- coconut oil
How to Make Gluten Free Cherry Crumble
I love making crumbles and crisps because they are super simple to throw together! Start by mixing the cherries, coconut palm sugar and cornstarch in a large bowl and set aside. In a separate bowl, mix together the topping: oat flour, rolled oats, coconut palm sugar, cinnamon and salt. Add in the coconut oil and use your hands to combine everything so the end result is a crumbly consistency. (Official baking term…) Add your cherry mix to a large baking dish and then sprinkle the crumble on top, coating the entire top. Bake at 375º for 45 minutes or until the top is slightly browned and crispy.Print
Gluten-Free Cherry Crumble
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour
- 5 cups chopped, pitted cherries
- 1/4 cup coconut palm sugar*
- 2 T cornstarch
For Crumble Topping:
- 1 cup gluten-free oat flour**
- 1/2 cup gluten-free rolled oats
- 1/3 cup coconut palm sugar*
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- pinch of sea salt
- 1/4 cup cold coconut oil***
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- In a large bowl combine cherries, coconut palm sugar and cornstarch.
- Add to a large baking dish (I used a 10 inch cast iron skillet)
- In a separate bowl combine oat flour, rolled oats, coconut palm sugar, cinnamon and sea salt.
- Add in coconut oil and using hands combine to form a crumbly “pea-like” consistency.
- Sprinkle crumble on top of cherries, coating the entire top.
- Bake for 45 mins or until top has browned slightly.
- Serve warm. I highly suggest a la mode 😉
*Can use brown sugar in place of coconut palm sugar. **Make oat flour by grinding up rolled oats in a blender or food processor. ***I place mine in fridge for 5 mins to harden.
- Serving Size: 6
JOIN THE THM NEWSLETTER
Join 10,000+ members of the THM Community to get access to exclusive recipes, healthy lifestyle tips and behind-the-scenes news from our team!