The perfect summer dessert recipe, these Vegan Berry Coconut Parfaits also make a fabulous addition to your 4th of July festivities! They’re completely raw and super portable for your next summer party.
4th of July is my favorite holiday. There, I said it.
As a born and bred Canadian, I feel kind of fraudulent sharing this, but the truth is that I kind of live for the 4th. First off, it falls during the best season – HELLO SUMMER – and secondly, I love any opportunity to tout my American blood.
I may live and breathe maple syrup, poutine and Drake, but this Canadian is actually a muggle. I’m technically 50% Canadian and 50% American – or 100% of both but I prefer to rep the two.
P.S. If you haven’t seen my collab video with the incredible Abbey’s Kitchen, check it out here! Her Healthy Watermelon Cake for the 4th looks INSANE!
Here’s What You Need:
- full fat coconut milk – make sure you grab full fat! This is what we’ll be using to make the whipped cream.
- maple syrup – a natural sweetener.
- vanilla extract – a delicious flavor enhancer.
- berries – I used a combination of blueberries and strawberries but you can use any fruit you’d like.
- pecans – these make up the crust of the parfaits – I love the slightly sweet flavor of pecans but any nut should work.
- dates – you’ll process the dates with the pecans to form a sticky crust. Naturally sweet and so tasty!
- cinnamon – the perfect complimentary spice.
- sea salt – to bring all of the flavors together.
How to Make Coconut Whipped Cream
The first step to making whipped cream is super important! Place two cans of full fat coconut milk in the fridge to sit overnight. Don’t shake the cans before putting them in the fridge! The can will separate into two layers: a thick, creamy layer at the top of the can and then a watery, liquid layer at the bottom.
When you’re ready to make your whipped cream, scoop out the thick, creamy portion and discard the liquid or save for a smoothie! Using a hand mixer, blend the coconut cream with maple syrup and vanilla extract until you have a light, whipped consistency. If you don’t have a hand mixer you can start by mixing with a spoon and then use a whisk to whip to your desired consistency.
Customize Your Parfait
There are so many ways to make this parfait your own!
- Take a shortcut – Swap dairy-free yogurt in place of the coconut whipped cream for a major shortcut!
- Use different nuts – I love the slightly sweet flavor the pecans add to this crust but you can use any nut you have on hand.
- Switch up the fruit – Any combination of fruit would be delicious with this parfait. I’m dreaming of a peach version next..!
Vegan Berry Coconut Parfaits
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 0 minutes
- Total Time: 20 minutes
- Yield: 8 mason jars 1x
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Raw
- Cuisine: American
- Diet: Vegan
For the Crumb layer:
for the coconut whipped cream:
For the Crumb Layer:
- Place all ingredients in a food processor and process until broken down into crumbs. Should take under a minute but slightly longer depending on your food processor.
For the Coconut Cream:
- Using a spoon, scoop out cream from cans and place in a large bowl. Using a hand-mixer, mix the coconut cream, maple syrup and vanilla extract to a whipped consistency. If hand-mixer is unavailable, using a spoon to mix the coconut cream, maple syrup and vanilla and then whisk to desired consistency.
For the Parfaits:
- Divide crumbs evenly amongst mason jars.
- Top with coconut cream.
- Sprinkle with strawberries and blueberries.
- Serve immediately or place in refrigerator until ready to serve.
*To get coconut cream, place two cans of FULL FAT coconut milk in the fridge to sit overnight. Do not shake the cans before placing in fridge. Cream will be thick layer at the top of the can. Discard the liquid.
Like this post? Here are a few other vegan desserts you might enjoy:
JOIN THE THM NEWSLETTER
Join 20,000+ members of the THM Community to get access to exclusive recipes, healthy lifestyle tips and behind-the-scenes news from our team!