breakfast gluten-free muffins snacks

Healthy Chocolate Chip Avocado Muffins

January 6, 2016

Swap the butter for avocado in these Healthy Chocolate Chip Avocado Muffins. They’re moist and delicious with a chocolate kick for a healthy snack recipe on the go.

Swap the butter for avocado in these Healthy Chocolate Chip Avocado Muffins. They're moist and delicious with a chocolate kick for a healthy snack recipe on the go.I mentioned back in my Best of THM 2015 post that I was thrilled to announce some of the 2016 sponsors for THM and today I am officially sharing that I’ll be continuing my partnership with Avocados from Mexico this year!

If you remember the post I wrote last year for Healthy Avocado Brownies, I talked about how much I love working with this brand to bring avocados to the world! Okay, a bit dramatic but being able to call “getting more Canadians to eat avocados” my job is pretty damn amazing.

It is hands-down my dream partnership come true (I tell them this daily) and the things we have in store for you this year are E-P-I-C!!!

To kick off this epicness, I thought we’d start out 2016 with a healthier snack alternative like these Chocolate Chip Avocado Muffins.

One of the things I love most about avocados is how versatile they can be as a substitute for somewhat less than desirable ingredients, like butter. I’m not gonna hate on butter, but if I had it my way my fat consumption would come from avocados.

When it comes to nutrition, avocados trump butter any day. First off, they’re a great dairy-free alternative for those of you avoiding dairy, like me. And if calories are a concern for you, avocados are infinitely lower in cals than butter.

But more than anything, avocados are loaded with monounsaturated fats, which actually help lower cholesterol. Take that butter!

Beyond its nutritional benefits, avocados also work perfectly as a 1-to-1 swap for butter. If you ignore the slightly green hue they leave (which I think is kind of fun…), you would never know that these delicious and moist muffins actually get their flavor and texture from avocados!

So next time you’re baking up a storm, consider swapping in avocado for butter. I think you’ll be pleasantly surprised with the results. Or make these muffins because they were wolfed up at the New Years party we attended and they’re outrageously delicious.

Healthy Chocolate Chip Avocado Muffins

• Yield: 12 muffins 1x

Scale
  • 2 1/4 cups oat flour*
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • 1/2 tsp sea salt
  • 1 large avocado (from Mexico)
  • 1/2 cup maple syrup
  • 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 2 large eggs
  • 1/2 cup dairy-free chocolate chips (like Enjoy Life mini chocolate chips)

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
  2. Line a muffin tray with liners or spray with coconut oil.
  3. In a large bowl combine oat flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
  4. In a blender combine avocado, maple syrup, applesauce and vanilla.
  5. Add blender ingredients to dry ingredients and then mix in eggs. Stir until well-combined.
  6. Stir in chocolate chips.
  7. Divide batter evenly amongst muffin cups for a total of 12 muffins.
  8. Bake for 20 minutes (give or take depending on oven heat and altitude). Muffins are ready when the tops spring back after being touched.
  9. Allow to cool for 20 mins before removing from muffin tin.
  10. Store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days or freeze for longer.

*You can try replacing with whole wheat flour but you will want to decrease the flour quantity by a 1/4 cup

Swap the butter for avocado in these Healthy Chocolate Chip Avocado Muffins. They're moist and delicious with a chocolate kick for a healthy snack recipe on the go.Disclaimer: This post is sponsored by Avocados from Mexico – Canada. I’m so excited to continue our collaboration in 2016 as a Canadian Ambassador. Looking forward to bringing you more avotastic posts!

What are your favorite avocado substitutes? What kind of avocado recipes or posts do you guys want to see this year?

Georgie
    January 7, 2016 at 8:00 pm

Omgosh these looks so good – when your muffin tops have those amazing cracks then you know they’re gonna be good. I don’t use avocados as subs for much because I usually eat them too fast before I can bake with them.

The Healthy Maven
      January 7, 2016 at 8:44 pm

I’m usually the same way! It’s a miracle if an avocado lasts more than a day in our house. Plus I like to buy them when they’re already ripe 😉

Chrissa - Physical Kitchness
    January 7, 2016 at 9:28 am

Call me cray cray but when any baked goods have a tinge of green, I’m like, “YUP get in my belly” because green means healthier version!! Unless of course it’s like grasshopper pie in which case I just pretend it’s super healthy and devour (I can’t resist that sh*z). These look delicious, easy, and a muffin my toddler would love! NAILED IT!

Marsha
    January 6, 2016 at 11:52 pm

I can’t wait to try this recipe! Can I use fresh ground wheat flour?

The Healthy Maven
      January 7, 2016 at 8:37 pm

I haven’t tested them myself with whole wheat flour but you can definitely give them a try! If you have luck do let me know 🙂 Enjoy!

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat
    January 6, 2016 at 8:46 pm

Davida, these are beautiful! I saw them in your Instagram feed and had to come by to check them out. (I also didn’t realize you’re Canadian too – snap!) 🙂 I used to be very much fat-phobic in my late teens but absolutely adore avocados now. I can’t wait to try these!

The Healthy Maven
      January 6, 2016 at 11:38 pm

Aw thanks for stopping by Angela! I’m so happy the muffins brought you through 🙂 Ditto to the fat-phobia. These days I’m all like “bring on the avocados!” I’m in Toronto. Where are you these days??

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat
        January 7, 2016 at 10:15 am

Oh wow – I used to live in Waterloo (but was in Toronto frequently on the weekends visiting friends) up until March of last year, and now I live in Vancouver. I love meeting other Canadian bloggers and your blog is beautiful! Consider me your latest loyal reader. 🙂

The Healthy Maven
          January 7, 2016 at 8:45 pm

You are too sweet! So nice to connect with fellow Canadian bloggers! Let me know if you’re ever in T.O. Hoping to make it out West soon and I’ll definitely keep you posted 🙂

• Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat
            January 7, 2016 at 9:51 pm

That would be awesome! Yes, please do. I’d love to show you around (and by that I mean tour you through a bunch of amazing Vancouver restaurants so we can eat lots of delicious things.. including avocados!) 🙂

January 6, 2016 at 3:48 pm

I’ll admit, I was a bit skeptical about putting avocados in muffins because of the flavor! However, avocados are so tasty and buttery–even better than actual butter–and I can just taste how soft and delicious these muffins are just by looking at them! YUM!

The Healthy Maven
      January 6, 2016 at 4:08 pm

You won’t taste the avo flavor at all (which for me is kind of a shame since I love them!) but you certainly get all of the texture and nutrition benefits from them!

Emily
    January 6, 2016 at 1:33 pm

Went to make these about an hour ago and realized I don’t have any maple syrup in the house, which is a total sin. I can’t believe I forgot it at the grocery store. I thought of improvising and using coconut sugar, but I didn’t want to jack up the recipe. I’ll be making these soon !!

The Healthy Maven
      January 6, 2016 at 4:06 pm

So wonderful! I hate when I forget something at the store. The worst! Hope you enjoy them when you do get around the making them 🙂

She Rocks Fitness
    January 6, 2016 at 1:27 pm

Those are fun funky kind of color muffin! I have never baked with avocado…I usually just smear that baby on delicious crispy toast with some seasoning and hot sauce of course. I keep it simple, but I’d gladly taste test these for you! XOXO

Les @ The Balanced Berry
    January 6, 2016 at 10:43 am

These sound so good! I have used avocado in protein pancakes before which is so good! Although my favorite way to have avocados (aside from digging in straight up) is definitely in smoothies.

Stella @ Stellicious Life
    January 6, 2016 at 10:18 am

Yay! Avocado recipes by Davida are baaack! Somehow in my mind they are interconnected with you and your blog, so whenever a new avocado recipe gets posted on THM I can’t wait to try it, since it got the Maven Approval 😉

When I got my first glimpse of the first photo I was amazed at the cool light green hue of these muffins, these look so fun! I love that the avocado’s green hue isn’t masked by chocolate or anything else (which sadly happens with brownies 🙁 ).

I would love to see more savoury recipes with avocados, only because I know how well they can be used as substitutes in desserts, but the only savoury recipe I know is guacamole and when avocados are cut into slices or bits and put as toppings on soup or sandwiches, but I’d love to get to know more savoury meals where avocados play the main role. 🙂

The Healthy Maven
      January 6, 2016 at 11:04 am

Duly Noted on the savory recipes! There will be plenty of them coming this year!

Alysia at Slim Sanity
    January 6, 2016 at 9:27 am

Avocados are easily one of my favorite foods of all time. ? I use them in a lot of recipes but I have never baked with them!! Looks like a must try for my Saturday morning baking sesh this weekend…

Lindsey Bomgren
    January 6, 2016 at 9:11 am

Avocados for the win again! So simple, yet guaranteed to be so soft and delicious!

Ashley @ Fit Mitten Kitchen
    January 6, 2016 at 8:28 am

YES, I love using avocado for healthier swaps! I’ve been meaning to try in muffins but just haven’t gotten around to it yet. I have made in cookies though, and some form of brownies I think… Its been a while. Can’t wait for more avocado recipes from you!

1 2 3