breakfast gluten-free muffins snacks

Healthy Chocolate Chip Avocado Muffins

January 6, 2016

Swap the butter for avocado in these Healthy Chocolate Chip Avocado Muffins. They’re moist and delicious with a chocolate kick for a healthy snack recipe on the go.

Swap the butter for avocado in these Healthy Chocolate Chip Avocado Muffins. They're moist and delicious with a chocolate kick for a healthy snack recipe on the go.I mentioned back in my Best of THM 2015 post that I was thrilled to announce some of the 2016 sponsors for THM and today I am officially sharing that I’ll be continuing my partnership with Avocados from Mexico this year!

If you remember the post I wrote last year for Healthy Avocado Brownies, I talked about how much I love working with this brand to bring avocados to the world! Okay, a bit dramatic but being able to call “getting more Canadians to eat avocados” my job is pretty damn amazing.

It is hands-down my dream partnership come true (I tell them this daily) and the things we have in store for you this year are E-P-I-C!!!

To kick off this epicness, I thought we’d start out 2016 with a healthier snack alternative like these Chocolate Chip Avocado Muffins.

One of the things I love most about avocados is how versatile they can be as a substitute for somewhat less than desirable ingredients, like butter. I’m not gonna hate on butter, but if I had it my way my fat consumption would come from avocados.

When it comes to nutrition, avocados trump butter any day. First off, they’re a great dairy-free alternative for those of you avoiding dairy, like me. And if calories are a concern for you, avocados are infinitely lower in cals than butter.

But more than anything, avocados are loaded with monounsaturated fats, which actually help lower cholesterol. Take that butter!

Beyond its nutritional benefits, avocados also work perfectly as a 1-to-1 swap for butter. If you ignore the slightly green hue they leave (which I think is kind of fun…), you would never know that these delicious and moist muffins actually get their flavor and texture from avocados!

So next time you’re baking up a storm, consider swapping in avocado for butter. I think you’ll be pleasantly surprised with the results. Or make these muffins because they were wolfed up at the New Years party we attended and they’re outrageously delicious.

Healthy Chocolate Chip Avocado Muffins

• Yield: 12 muffins 1x

Scale
  • 2 1/4 cups oat flour*
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • 1/2 tsp sea salt
  • 1 large avocado (from Mexico)
  • 1/2 cup maple syrup
  • 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 2 large eggs
  • 1/2 cup dairy-free chocolate chips (like Enjoy Life mini chocolate chips)

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
  2. Line a muffin tray with liners or spray with coconut oil.
  3. In a large bowl combine oat flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
  4. In a blender combine avocado, maple syrup, applesauce and vanilla.
  5. Add blender ingredients to dry ingredients and then mix in eggs. Stir until well-combined.
  6. Stir in chocolate chips.
  7. Divide batter evenly amongst muffin cups for a total of 12 muffins.
  8. Bake for 20 minutes (give or take depending on oven heat and altitude). Muffins are ready when the tops spring back after being touched.
  9. Allow to cool for 20 mins before removing from muffin tin.
  10. Store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days or freeze for longer.

*You can try replacing with whole wheat flour but you will want to decrease the flour quantity by a 1/4 cup

Swap the butter for avocado in these Healthy Chocolate Chip Avocado Muffins. They're moist and delicious with a chocolate kick for a healthy snack recipe on the go.Disclaimer: This post is sponsored by Avocados from Mexico – Canada. I’m so excited to continue our collaboration in 2016 as a Canadian Ambassador. Looking forward to bringing you more avotastic posts!

What are your favorite avocado substitutes? What kind of avocado recipes or posts do you guys want to see this year?

Sarah
    February 20, 2016 at 6:36 pm

I’m vegan – could I omit the eggs?

Peter
    February 18, 2016 at 6:39 pm

What a fantastic recipe. Can’t wait to try. Can you suggest an alternative to maple syrup? I live in Perth Western Australia and very small bottle here is $15. So many vegan and raw recipes have it in them but it is simply too expensive to use except for very social occasions. I would also like to see cake recipes, slice recipes and savoury recipes that use avocados in place of butter. Keep up the great work. You are an inspiration.

Sarah
      February 20, 2016 at 6:37 pm

This recipe has eggs in it. You mentioned vegan recipes in your post.

Jill
    February 18, 2016 at 11:31 am

It calls for a large avocado. Since they can vary in size and my large may not be yours 🙂 can you say about how much in quantity it would be? I have a pot luck tomorrow night and may want to try these out.

Hannah
    January 31, 2016 at 7:09 pm

Just tried making these and am so incredibly happy with the results! Delicious and such a quick, easy, healthy breakfast substitution. Used whole wheat flour. Would highly recommend!

eman
    January 24, 2016 at 9:11 am

they look ummy , what can i use instead of maplesyrup

January 24, 2016 at 11:06 am

Any kind of liquid sweetener. Honey would be a good substitute!

Monique @ Ambitious Kitchen
    January 13, 2016 at 2:08 pm

MY KIND OF MUFFIN.

The Healthy Maven
      January 14, 2016 at 3:04 pm

I will forever equate you with baking delicious treats so I’m honored to hear you say that!!!

Denise
    January 13, 2016 at 9:59 am

Am planning to make these today. I love avocados! Can I use quinoa flour instead of oat?

The Healthy Maven
      January 13, 2016 at 1:00 pm

You can certainly give it a try, though I haven’t tried it myself! Quinoa flour can sometimes be a bit more absorbent so if you’re find the batter is SUPER thick (it should be thick but still stirable) add a bit of non-dairy milk to thin it out.

Deirdre
    January 10, 2016 at 4:11 pm

Would blueberries work with the avocado muffins instead of the chocolate chips?

The Healthy Maven
      January 10, 2016 at 8:08 pm

Absolutely! Just make sure you stir them in at the last minute so it doesn’t turn them blue 😉

Cassie @ Almost Getting it Together
    January 8, 2016 at 11:36 pm

NEED THESE ASAP. Those avocado brownies were maybe the best brownies ever.

For avocado recipes… maybe avocado tacos or avocado zoodle sauces??

Joyce
    January 8, 2016 at 11:52 am

Dang those look good! I’ll see if I can figure out a way to make them without the applesauce (fructose intolerance boo.)

The Healthy Maven
      January 9, 2016 at 7:08 pm

Pumpkin or banana would be a great substitute if you can have those!

Hilary
    January 8, 2016 at 8:20 am

I have been looking for new snack recipes lately and I think I am definitely going to have to try these out! I love little healthy treats full of nutrition, especially in the afternoon when my sweet tooth kicks in!

Chelsea's Healthy Kitchen
    January 7, 2016 at 8:30 pm

I’ve been experimenting with baking with avocado lately and I’m so shocked at how awesome it works for baking! Love the look of these muffins.

1 2 3