I figured after yesterday’s not-so-green recipe, I would give you a double whammy today. Key limes and pistachios, boom boom POW. Sorry, I just pounded two cups of coffee before I started writing this #5recipesin5daysmaykillme.
Can we talk about key limes for a minute? They are officially the most adorable piece of fruit I have ever seen. My 5 year old self probably would have made one my newest inanimate friend. My 24-year old self felt bad making friends with them knowing that I would be sacrificing their peels and juices to the food processor. It hurt more than touching my eye with lime juice covered hands. Karma is a B. Don’t mess with miniature fruit.
Other thoughts that occurred while making this recipe:
1. Shelled pistachios are worth the money. Ain’t nobody got time for pistachio shelling.
2. Are they balls, or are they bites? Actually, I ask myself this everyday.
3. Why does St. Patrick’s Day require green food? Don’t answer this otherwise you’ll undermine the whole purpose of the link-up…
4. It is impossible to eat just one of these. I dare you to try.
Raw Key Lime Pistachio Bites
Prep Time: 15 mins
Keywords: no-bake blender snack dessert dairy-free gluten-free vegan pistachio key lime ball
Ingredients (18 bites)
- 2 cups shelled pistachios (reserve 1/2 cup for chopping)
- 1 cup pitted dates
- 6 key limes, zest and juice of each
1. Add 1 1/2 cups of pistachios and dates to a food processor high-speed blender. Process until all comes together in a ball (about 3 minutes)
2. Break up ball and add zest and juice of all key limes. Process until well combined.
3. Meanwhile, chop up remaining 1/2 cup of pistachios into tiny pieces to be used at coating.
4. Roll pistachio-date mixture into 18 balls and then roll in chopped pistachios.
5. Store in refrigerator for up to 1 month or longer in freezer.
JOIN THE THM NEWSLETTER
Join 20,000+ members of the THM Community to get access to exclusive recipes, healthy lifestyle tips and behind-the-scenes news from our team!
Gabby @ the veggie nookMarch 13, 2014 at 6:06 pm
AMEN to the shelled pistachios girl! I needed them a couple weeks ago and all I could find was pistachios in the shell- kill me.
And balls, always balls. So much more hilarious to say that way.
Also- these look gorgeous and while I have never tried the combination of pistachios and key limes, I can only imagine it’s awesome!
Consuelo @ Honey & FigsMarch 13, 2014 at 10:44 am
Balls all the way!
These look plain adorable and oh so tasty too!
Tina @ Tina's Chic CornerMarch 13, 2014 at 10:43 am
I love pistachios so these look amazingly delicious. I bet the key limes gives it a lovely refreshing bite! I always struggle with naming these kinds of creations… balls…yeah, don’t go there. 😉 They are bite sized so I think you named them perfectly. 🙂
Lauren @ Sweat The Sweet StuffMarch 12, 2014 at 4:59 pm
Um yes please!
Kristina @ Damn Ten PoundsMarch 12, 2014 at 4:42 pm
They’re balls because duh. Unless you put two of them together. Then they’re boobies 🙂
Mary FrancesMarch 12, 2014 at 1:28 pm
Haha! You have the best sense of humor, Davida! I am such a sucker for all things mini energy balls – I can’t get over the cirtrus punch in these! Delicious!
GiGi Eats CelebritiesMarch 12, 2014 at 12:39 am
BALLS. BALLS. BALLS. BALLS. BALLS. BALLS. BALLS. BALLS. BALLS. BALLS. BALLS. BALLS. BALLS. BALLS. BALLS. BALLS. BALLS. BALLS. BALLS. BALLS. BALLS. BALLS. BALLS. BALLS. BALLS. BALLS. BALLS. BALLS. BALLS. BALLS. BALLS. BALLS.
in my mouth.
Mireya @myhealthyeatinghabitsMarch 11, 2014 at 7:35 pm
OMG! My mouth started watering just from reading the title of the post, then when I saw the pictures it was like someone had turned a water faucet on in my mouth. Great post!
Kelly @ Kelly Runs for FoodMarch 11, 2014 at 7:02 pm
I’ve been grappling with the balls/bites dilemma for a while now. After making my first batch of them, I have to say it’s way more fun to call them balls, then giggle about it. I also love pistachios, but for some weird reason I actually enjoy shelling them.
TiffMarch 11, 2014 at 5:41 pm
Balls fo sho. I’d also call them scrumptious.
CassieMarch 11, 2014 at 4:55 pm
Would you believe I was seriously thinking of key lime energy bites yesterday? And I bought the limes?? Mine are a little different though… but we are seriously too alike in our thinking. 🙂
Nicole @ Foodie Loves FitnessMarch 11, 2014 at 4:30 pm
I love pistachios and haven’t had them in awhile, so thanks for reminding me to eat them ASAP!