Want a healthy and hearty dinner without all the work? This Tangy Za’atar Chicken with Veggies is made entirely on a sheet-pan for easy clean-up and quick cooking that the whole family can enjoy. Don’t forget the spicy yogurt sauce!
I’ve become obsessed with sheet pan dinners! What is a sheet-pan dinner you ask? It’s pretty much as simple as it sounds: a recipe that can be entirely cooked on a single sheet pan. Yes, that means your whole meal only requires one cooking sheet and can be done entirely in one run in the oven.
The Tangy Yogurt dressing of course requires one other bowl, but let’s be real, meals are all about the sauce and this one is no exception.
Here’s What You Need
- chicken thighs – I used bone-in, skin-on for the ultimate flavor but you can use boneless, skinless if you’d like.
- butternut squash – you’ll be peeling and cubing the squash so if you want to use pre-prepped squash as a shortcut, go for it!
- brussels sprouts – trim the tough end of the sprout off and slice in half lengthwise to prep it for this dish.
- za’atar spice blend – the star of the show! It’s a Middle Eastern spice blend that takes this dish up a notch.
- olive oil – to coat the vegetables in for cooking. Avocado oil works as well.
- salt and pepper – to bring all of the flavors of the dish together.
- yogurt – the base of the dressing. Any plain yogurt works! You can use dairy-free yogurt if needed.
- lemon – add a delicious acidic flavor to the dressing with lemon juice. I recommend using fresh lemon juice as opposed to store-bought.
- hot sauce – add just a hint of spice to the dressing! The yogurt counters a lot of the spice.
- to serve – optional but I served this sheet pan dinner with medjool dates, arugula and parsley.
How to Make Za’atar Chicken and Veggies
STEP 1: After prepping the butternut squash and brussels sprouts, place them on a sheet pan and toss with oil, salt and pepper.
STEP 2: Nestle the chicken thighs into the veggies and coat with a little additional oil. Sprinkle the za’atar seasoning blend over the sheet pan, making sure the chicken is coated. Season the chicken with salt and pepper.
STEP 3: Roast at 425ºF for 40 minutes. If you are using boneless, skinless chicken thighs, they will only take about 20 minutes so you can remove them and continue cooking the the veggies for the remaining time.
STEP 4: While the chicken and vegetables are roasting, make the yogurt sauce. In a mixing bowl, combine the yogurt, lemon juice, olive oil and hot sauce. Season with salt and pepper and set aside.
STEP 5: When the squash is caramelized, the brussels sprouts are crispy and the chicken is fully cooked, remove the sheet pan from the oven. Sprinkle with sliced dates and fresh parsley. Serve with arugula and yogurt sauce.
- For even easier cleanup, line the sheet pan with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat.
- Bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs are preferred but not necessary. We ended up using boneless chicken thighs in this version (to test) and it turned out great.
- Feel free to replace the squash and brussels sprouts with other veggies if you have different preferences.
- Good quality za’atar is key. We like this version.
- Don’t skimp on the yogurt! The tanginess mixed with the spices makes for a delicious dressing. We had leftovers and added it to recipes all week long.
Sheet Pan Dinner: Tangy Za’atar Chicken with Veggies
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Total Time: 50 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings 1x
- 4 chicken thighs, bone in skin on preferred (about 2lbs)
- 1 medium butternut squash, peeled and cubed
- 1 lb brussels sprouts, trimmed and halved lengthwise
- 1/4 cup za’atar spice blend
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- salt and pepper
- 1/2 cup of Stonyfield yogurt
- ¼ lemon, juiced
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1.5 tsp hot sauce
- 4 medjool dates
- 4 handfuls of arugula
- 1 handful parsley
- Preheat oven to 425 F.
- Place cubed squash and brussels sprouts on a sheet pan and toss with oil, salt and pepper.
- Nestle the chicken thighs into the veggies and coat with a little oil. Sprinkle the za’atar over the sheet pan, making sure to focus on coating the chicken thighs. Season the chicken with salt and pepper.
- Place in the oven and roast for about 40 min. If you use boneless, skinless chicken thighs they will take only about 20 min to cook through. Simply remove them and continue to cook the vegetables for the remainder of the time.
- While the chicken and vegetables cook, prepare the yogurt sauce.
- In a bowl, combine the yogurt, lemon juice, olive oil, hot sauce. Season with salt and pepper and set to the side. The yogurt can be made ahead and left the fridge.
- Slice the dates, pick and wash the parsley leaves, wash the arugula.
- Once the squash is caramelized, the brussels sprouts are crispy and the chicken skin is nice and golden, remove from the oven. Sprinkle with the dates and parsley.
- Serve with the arugula and yogurt sauce.
More chicken recipes you might like:
- Guacamole Chicken Salad
- Sticky Orange Chicken
- Chicken Lentil Soup
- Piri Piri Chicken Bowls with Spicy Green Sauce
JOIN THE THM NEWSLETTER
Join 20,000+ members of the THM Community to get access to exclusive recipes, healthy lifestyle tips and behind-the-scenes news from our team!