Lightened-up chili using ground turkey and sweet potato! This Sweet Potato Turkey Chili can be made in one-pot and will feed you all fall and winter long for dinner or lunches alike.
Chili and warm weather.
Sometime near the end of August I started getting insane cravings for chili. If you know me, you know that I get really intense and specific cravings (last week it was celery…) that never go away until I satiate the need.
As you can imagine, chili cravings during a heatwave isn’t exactly appealing to most. Fortunately, I’m not like most people.
And so, before September even began my chili addiction was well underway. We had beef chili, beanless chili and this sweet potato turkey chili before we’d even left for San Francisco. This was not a problem for me, but for C who runs at least 5 degrees warmer than me, he was all like WTF?!
So I think he was a bit relieved when we left for San Francisco and could escape the chili + heat combo.
But of course life has a funny way of messing with you…
RELATED: The Best Ever Cornbread Recipe
Immediately upon landing in SF, C’s sister suggested we make chili for dinner. I couldn’t help but LOL (and then be super excited while attempting to disguise my joy from C). The kid was a trooper and once we put a bowl of guac and chips in front of him, he forgot all of his woes. Boys are so easy to please.
On the other hand, what we could both get pretty stoked about is the Indian Summer that has been following us around. All I asked for for my birthday this year was an endless summer. Didn’t seem like I was asking for much and I’m pleased to discover Mother Nature agreed.
I hate that I’m taking up space on this blog discussing the weather, but the fact that it’s been sunny and warm 95% of the past month is worth noting. San Francisco even turned up the heat for us!
The downside to this is that I feel a bit awkward posting a chili recipe while I’m sitting here in shorts. But not awkward enough to NOT post it. That would be far more shameful…Print
Sweet Potato Turkey Chili
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Total Time: 45 minutes
- Yield: 8 bowls 1x
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 bell peppers, chopped
- 1 jalapeño, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 1/2 T chili powder
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 28 ounce can diced tomatoes
- 1 cup tomato sauce (ideally no-sugar-added)
- 1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 large sweet potato, cubed
- Heat olive oil in a large pot over med-high heat. Add ground turkey and cook until browned (About 3-4 mins).
- Add in onions and cook for 3 more minutes.
- Add in peppers, jalapeno and garlic and cook for another 2 mins.
- Add spices, diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, beans and sweet potato and bring mix to a boil.
- Once boiling lower heat to a simmer and cook for about 30-40 minutes, uncovered or until desired consistency is reached.
Like this recipe? Here are a few others you might enjoy:
JOIN THE THM NEWSLETTER
Join 8000+ members of the THM Community to get access to exclusive recipes, healthy lifestyle tips and behind-the-scenes news from our team!