A delicious and whole grain recipe for corn pancakes made with cornmeal that can easily be topped with sweet or savory toppings depending on your preference!
Fun fact! C and I are celebrating our 10 year anniversary this year. WOAH. We’ve been married for 3 of those years but we started dating when we were 21. At the time I was living in NYC and C was living in Montreal…yes we started out long distance!
Every time C would come visit me in NYC we would go to my favorite restaurant which served the most delicious corn pancakes. In fact, the restaurant still exists! Highly recommend you check out Coppelia on 14th street if you’re craving delicious Cuban food.
Because we’re coming up on a decade I’ve been thinking a lot about those early years and while I definitely have no desire to turn back time I do occasionally feel nostalgic. One of my favorite ways to relive great memories is through food. And so here is my interpretation of the best corn pancakes and feeling incredibly grateful to have found my person 10 years ago!
Ingredients in Corn Pancakes
- Flax egg – mix 1 tablespoon ground flaxseed with 3 tablespoons water. Let sit to allow it to gel up. This replaces a traditional egg, making these corn cakes vegan! If you’re not vegan you can use 1 large egg.
- Cornstarch – helps hold the cakes together and adds fluffiness (especially important if making them vegan)
- Cornmeal – the star of the show! Cornmeal is a coarse flour made from ground, dried corn.
- Brown rice flour – or use white flour if not gluten-free
- Baking powder – to help these corn pancakes rise.
- Unsweetened almond milk – any non-dairy milk works for this but I used unsweetened almond milk.
- Maple syrup – just a hint of natural sweetness to balance out the flavors!
Why Use Corn?
I love substituting cornmeal in pancakes for an added whole grain touch. Corn pancakes are heartier than regular pancakes and are a great source of fiber and protein. They also have a slightly sweet flavor but work well in both sweet and savory dishes.
That’s right, these corn pancakes are vegan! I use a flax egg to keep them vegan but if you aren’t vegan feel free to use a regular large egg. I like to cook my corn pancakes in coconut oil but you can sub butter if you eat dairy.
How to Make Corn Pancakes
STEP 1: Make your flax egg and set aside for 5 minutes
STEP 2: Combine all dry ingredients (cornstarch, cornmeal, flour, baking powder + salt).
STEP 3: Add in wet ingredients (almond milk, maple syrup + flax egg) and stir to combine. Set aside to thicken for 5 minutes.
STEP 4: Heat up skillet or pancake griddle over medium heat. Add coconut oil or non-stick spray. Add about a 1/4 cup of pancake mixture to the skillet or griddle and cook for 2 mins on each side or until cooked all the way through and edges are lightly browned.
How to Serve Corn Pancakes
The beauty of these corn cakes is that you can take them the sweet or savoury route… or both! Here are some topping ideas:
- Greek yogurt
- Coconut whipped cream
- Avocado or guacamole
- Cream cheese
- Over easy egg
Vegan Corn Pancakes
A delicious and whole grain recipe for corn pancakes made with cornmeal and topped with sweet or savory toppings.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Total Time: 20 minutes
- Yield: 8 pancakes 1x
- Category: Breakfast
- Method: Cook
- Diet: Vegan
- 1 flax egg (1 tbsp ground flaxseed mixed with 3 tbsp water)
- 1 1/2 tsp cornstarch
- 1 cup corn meal
- 1/2 cup brown rice flour (or regular white flour)
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1–2 tbsp maple syrup (or more for added sweetness)
1. Make flax egg and set aside for at least 5 mins.
2. Mix together all dry ingredients.
4. Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and stir well. Set aside to thicken for 5 minutes.
5. Heat up skillet or pancake griddle over medium heat. Add coconut oil or non-stick spray.
6. Add about a 1/4 cup of pancake mixture to the skillet or griddle and cook for 2 mins on each side or until cooked all the way through and edges are lightly browned.
7. Top with sweet or savoury toppings. Or both!
Keywords: corn pancakes, vegan corn pancakes, corncakes
Like this post? Here are more breakfast recipes to try:
- Egg Muffins
- Bircher Muesli
- Breakfast Patatas Bravas
- Banana Bread Baked Oatmeal
- Sweet Potato Egg Boats
JOIN THE THM NEWSLETTER
Join 20,000+ members of the THM Community to get access to exclusive recipes, healthy lifestyle tips and behind-the-scenes news from our team!
MadelineMay 29, 2022 at 4:23 pm
I’ve been craving corncakes and I found this recipe and went for it, and I’m SO glad I did! I absolutely loved the flavor and texture of these. I only used 1 tbsp maple syrup since I like mine less sweet, and used unsweetened coconut milk instead of almond milk. I will for sure be making these again; thank you for the recipe!