Originally I had a different post planned for today, but after all the amazing feedback I got from the sweet & savoury corncakes photo I posted yesterday I decided to get it up for you today!
Now that I’ve started my half-marathon training, Sundays have become my long run day. Running is something that I have and will always love but some runs I’m just not having it. It’s on those days that I need some sort of external motivation to keep me going. Lately I haven’t been entirely gung ho on my long runs. 50% is definitely the muggy, hot weather and the other 50% is my laziness. You can’t blame me for wanting to sleep in on Sunday right? Whatever the reason, I’ve found the perfect solution to motivate me to run, pancakes. I could probably run a full marathon right here and now if you told me I had a huge stack of pancakes waiting for me at the end.
If you haven’t picked up on it by now, I have a serious sweet tooth. This is precisely why most of the breakfasts I make or post are sweet. But last Sunday something strange happened, I was craving savoury pancakes! I needed the fluffiness and the carbs but I also needed salt and spicy. So I got busy in the kitchen and came up with this wicked recipe! They are exactly this, sweet and fluffy like pancakes but also spicy and savoury. The perfect meal post-run or any day for that matter.
Sweet & Savoury Corncakes
Prep Time: 10 mins
Cook Time: 10 mins
Keywords: cook breakfast gluten-free vegan corn
Ingredients (Yields: 8 pancakes)
- 1 flax egg (1 T ground flaxseed mixed with 3 T water)
- 1 1/2 tsp cornstarch
- 1 cup corn meal
- 1/2 cup brown rice flour
- 1 ½ tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- ¼ tsp paprika
- ¼ tsp chili powder
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1 T lime juice
- 1 T maple syrup
1. Make flax egg and set aside for at least 5 mins.
2. Mix together all dry ingredients.
3. Mix together almond milk, maple syrup, lime juice and flax egg.
4. Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and stir well. Mixture should be thick.
5. Heat up skillet or pancake griddle over medium heat. Add coconut oil or non-stick spray.
6. Add about 1/4-1/3 of a cup of pancake mixture to the skillet or griddle and cook for 2 mins on each side.
7. Top with sweet or savoury toppings. Or both! I used greek yogurt and berries.
JOIN THE THM NEWSLETTER
Join 20,000+ members of the THM Community to get access to exclusive recipes, healthy lifestyle tips and behind-the-scenes news from our team!