gluten-free paleo sides vegan

Spicy Grilled Brussels Sprouts

August 29, 2013

If you haven’t picked up on it by now (or are new to the blog), I have a serious sweet tooth. While I would love to give all of you a whole variety of recipes, I tend to create and post mostly sweet ones. Ever since I declared my blogging independence, I’ve become far more comfortable with this. For a while I thought people would stop reading my blog because I posted a cookie, a waffle and a muffin recipe on consecutive days. Thankfully I got over that…

I’ve mentioned it before, but in the future I hope to start taking nutrition classes and potentially seek a degree as a certified nutritionist. I also have another not-so-secret aspiration…I would love to open a bakery. Don’t get me wrong, I enjoy cooking but my real passion is baking. I love the challenge of it (the science behind it is far trickier than cooking) and of course I love the taste-testing! In my dreams I would have a bakery named “Davida’s Treats” and I would also have a gorgeous Kitchen Aid Stand-Mixer in my favourite colour, Empire Red. So far one of these dreams has come true! I came home on Monday night to the largest birthday gift I have ever seen. I opened it up and you would not believe what I found inside…YES, a brand new Kitchen Aid Stand Mixer in Empire Red from C! I cried.

Spicy Grilled Brussels Sprouts

If I haven’t mentioned it enough, I actually have the best boyfriend in the entire world. Sorry to brag, but seriously, he made my dreams come true! Davida’s Treats ain’t seeming so far off and especially not with my new bad-ass Stand-Mixer. So what I mean by all of this is to expect even more sweet treats to come. Aka this recipe may be the last savoury one you will be seeing for a while. #SorryImNotSorry

Spicy Grilled Brussels Sprouts

But right behind sweet foods my palate loves me some spicy. The spicier the better! So why not take my favourite veggie and spice it up a notch? Throwing them on the grill and forgetting about them for 15 minutes is pretty awesome too. Making some progress on goal #14 (become a grill master). Beware, these are not for the faint-hearted. An actual fire may occur in your mouth. Feel free to tone down the spice factor. I promise I won’t judge…too much 😉

Spicy Grilled Brussels Sprouts

PREP TIME 10 mins
Cook Time 15 mins

• 1 lb of brussels sprouts, trimmed and halved
  • 2 tsp olive oil
  • 2 T lime juice
  • 2 tsp hot sauce, I used cholula
  • 1 tsp italian seasoning
  • salt and pepper

1. 1. Set grill on high.
  2. 2. Spray a grill pan or aluminum foil with non-stick spray.
  3. 3. Combine olive oil, lime juice, hot sauce and italian seasonings and stir to combine.
  4. 4. Add brussels sprouts to mixture and make sure all are coated.
  5. 5. Place on non-stick tray or aluminum foil and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
  6. 6. Grill for 15 mins, turning every few mins, or until browned and slightly charred.

What’s the best gift you’ve ever gotten? Be honest, would you like to see more savoury eats or are you okay with being bombarded with sweet goodness?!?!?
    August 29, 2013 at 10:46 am

Girl, I’m totally with you on being way more in love with baking than cooking. I used to try to post more savoury recipes, but let’s be honest… the sweet stuff is where it’s at. So I’m perfectly fine with being bombarded with sweet goodness 😀

And woooop! for the new mixer! Have you broken it in yet? I got one last Christmas and it’s seriously made baking and cooking so much more enjoyable.

Amy @ The Little Honey Bee
    August 29, 2013 at 11:15 am

Brag away girly! You deserve it all 🙂 oh hawt dang… these might be a wee bit hot for me! And post whatever you want!

Frances Stiles
    August 29, 2013 at 11:52 am

Davida!! I just love Brussel sprouts and these look delicious! They are one of my husband’s favorites and he loves when I roast them. Need to do that more often!

Clara Elizabeth
    August 29, 2013 at 11:54 am

This recipe looks amazeballs, keep the savory stuff coming! Thanks for sharing!!

p.s. I think I screamed and then cried one Christmas when I opened up a food processor from Mama Thintellect. (Your mixer is FABULOUS)

August 31, 2013 at 4:23 pm

How did I ever survive so many years without a food processor?!?! Glad I’m not the only one who gets dramatic over food appliances 😉

August 29, 2013 at 12:13 pm

Ahh what an amazing gift! I’m sure you’re going to make very good use of it. 😉 The best gift I’ve ever received was my new car for a graduation present!

kellyrunsforfood.com
    August 29, 2013 at 12:30 pm

I don’t usually like brussel sprouts, but you made them look really good! My husband and I used to buy each other tons of presents for holidays until one day when I couldn’t remember what we’d gotten each other. We decided that year that we would take our money and go on a vacation instead and that’s the best present we could have given ourselves! I’ve always wanted a Kitchen Aid mixer though!

August 31, 2013 at 4:24 pm

What a nice idea!!!! When I run out of food appliances this will be the next step 😉

Kim Lee
    August 29, 2013 at 1:09 pm

You are going to so love your Kitchen Aide mixer… it makes baking a dream. I received one from my in-laws a couple of Christmases ago. Love the spicy Brussels sprout idea!

Kim @ BusyBod
    August 29, 2013 at 1:13 pm

I love brussel sprouts! Also, please pretty please open a bakery, preferably near my house. K thanks 😉

August 29, 2013 at 1:17 pm

Oh hello, twin. I have ALWAYS wanted to Kitchen Aid mixer. Literally. When I’m at the mall at home, I walk by Williams-Sonoma to look at the mixers and I walk by the jewelry store to look at the engagement rings. And they both bring me equal amounts of joy. I don’t know what color I want yet, but I know I want it to match my kitchen (you know, the one I don’t have yet). I’m sighing just thinking about it.

Obviously I’ll be there for the grand opening of Davida’s Treats.

softserveandsquats.com
    August 29, 2013 at 1:40 pm

YUM! I love the addition of hot sauce! Brilliant idea 🙂

Alex@Veggin Out
    August 29, 2013 at 1:52 pm

Ahhh I’m getting so far behind on everyone’s posts!!! First off, happy belated birthday! I think I left a note on instagram, but everything seems kind of boggled in my mind right now, so just in case I didn’t, I said it again! 🙂 Anyway, I hope it was fantastic!! And those apple bars? They sound like they involve a bit of sweet+salty so you know I’m all over them. And then there’s these brussels sprouts… I love how some of them are nice and dark and almost caramelized looking. Oh and I’ll be your first customer in line at Davida’s Treats. 😉
    I hope you’re doing well!!

August 31, 2013 at 3:25 pm

I’m so behind too!!! Life is so busy Alex gahhh! Don’t wanna complain but seriously, LIFE NEEDS TO SLOW DOWN!

You can cut the ribbon at the opening ceremony 🙂

Rebekah @ fitnesscreatures
    August 29, 2013 at 1:53 pm

Brussels sprouts are my absolute favorite and I effing love Cholula. My boyfriend and I managed to go through one of the large bottles of it in a matter of a few weeks. Absurd. I’m making these immediately. YAYYYY for your new Kitchen Aid!!! I have one but I have yet to pull that bad boy out. Everything I make either blends easily by hand or in my wonderful food processor. Happy birthday 🙂 I can’t wait to see all your yummy treats!

Danielle @Labelsarefortincans
    August 29, 2013 at 2:20 pm

Wow! That’s awesome. I have heard those standmixers are really really great! Look forward to seeing your creations!

I am trying to think of the best gift… When I was younger I got this life size puppet show theatre type thing! Which was definitely super cool. More recently when I was in undergrad studying music I got a new flute for Christmas! So that was also pretty awesome.

August 31, 2013 at 3:25 pm

That’s an awesome gift! I got a ukelele when I was 5 and I was obsessed! But I quickly got over it when I got my first easy bake oven 🙂

Megan (The Lyons' Share)
    August 29, 2013 at 2:21 pm

The comments about your boyfriend are so sweet! “He made my dreams come true” … aww :). The best recipes come from what comes naturally to the person making them, so if sweet things come to you, go for it! Plus, I think I’m better at cooking than baking, so I could use the help :).

August 31, 2013 at 3:26 pm

Megan you’re the best! We can host a dinner party together and you can make dinner and I’ll make dessert 🙂

Charlotte @ Commitness to Fitness
    August 29, 2013 at 2:32 pm

aww what a FANTASTIC boyfriend!! you deserve to brag 🙂 and you should defintily open your bakery one day!!! everything ive ever seen on your blog i want to eat! and today is no exception- i love brussels sprouts and i LOVE spicy, why have i never thought to combine them?! i will def be making this dish soon!

Suzanne Poldon
    August 29, 2013 at 2:44 pm

Brussel sprouts are the BOMB! I love how affordable they are too!

workoutjunkies
    August 29, 2013 at 6:32 pm

I really need to branch out on the fruit and veggies we eat, those look pretty good!

Tina
    August 29, 2013 at 8:09 pm

I’m actually probably one of the few that really does like brussel sprouts, but I get tired of making them the same way. This dish looks so tasty! Love the idea of adding hot sauce. 🙂
    Tina at http://www.tinaschic.com

Katie Martino
    August 29, 2013 at 8:51 pm

I have been loving brussel sprouts lately–this recipe looks awesome!

August 29, 2013 at 9:10 pm

That recipe looks really good (I might not make it as spicy!).
    So cool that you got the gift of your dreams – sounds like your guy knows you well!

Meghan @ fitnesscrEATures
    August 29, 2013 at 9:10 pm

I see my co blogger already commented but in our household, we LOVE Brussels so much more than anything else in the entire world! Okay, this is not completely true, but we buy them on the regular and they are just SO good! And to second her statement, the Cholula is a serious staple in our household as well! This recipe looks amazing! Happy birthday and YAY for that being your gift – super awesome gift to give!

abby
    August 29, 2013 at 10:02 pm

i love brussels sprouts. it was not until last year did I start eating this delicious veggie! I have made them with rosemary, but this looks so good. we love spicy food. anything spicy seems like a staple in our household. i have to try this i think we would absolutely enjoy it for dinner!

August 30, 2013 at 12:30 am

I think you should open up Davida’s treats. In Australia. Your creations would sell out and put our country’s current cronut obsession to shame.

August 31, 2013 at 3:27 pm

Have you heard about how half of Toronto got sick from a cronut burger? This cronut obsession needs to stop! You can be all over the Australian franchise cool?

FitBritt@MyOwnBalance
    August 30, 2013 at 12:59 am

Oh my gosh! That is so adorable that your man got you a KitchenAid Mixer! What a fantastic bday gift! I love my hot pink one but it doesn’t come out that often because I am not so great at baking! I love sweet stuff so post away! 🙂 IF you had a bakery called Davida’s Treats, I would totally make a pilgrimage to come try it! 🙂

Nikki@willrunforpizza
    August 30, 2013 at 1:15 am

Your BF got some serious points!!! He did GOOD! Those brussel sprouts look sooooo good! I agree though, I love baking way more than cooking!! I’ve been looking into nutrition classes as well…after so many people telling me they can’t believe I don’t do something like that b/c it is such a passion of mine, I finally decided to check out schools for a 2nd bachelors. We shall see…

August 31, 2013 at 4:15 pm

How about we support each other!??! Can’t wait to see what you end up doing! I’ll be following your journey 🙂

verbsandvignettes
    August 30, 2013 at 1:17 am

i just had brussels sprouts with dinner tonight. they’re one of my favorite foods! (right up there with cookie dough and ice cream.) but i’ve never grilled them! sounds delicious. also, i’ve only tried cholula once at a restaurant; it was delicious + i should go buy some + make these.

August 31, 2013 at 4:17 pm

you know you’re a foodie when your fav foods are cookie dough, ice cream and brussels sprouts 😉

Amy @ Elephant Eats
    August 30, 2013 at 1:22 am

What an amazing bday present! So happy for you 🙂 Can’t wait to see what delicious treats you mix up in there. And these brussels sprouts sounds amazing…I would never think to grill them, but my hubby would absolutely love this!

Alisha @ Alishas Appetite
    August 30, 2013 at 1:57 am

OMG that is soooo awesome that you got your kitchen aid mixer! What a sweet guy 🙂 If your treats are any indicator of how delicious this brussels sprouts recipe looks, I’m going to be hooked.

August 31, 2013 at 4:18 pm

Thanks Alisha!!! I’d like to believe my baked goods are a step up from my cooking but glad you liked the Brussels Sprouts 🙂

Beth Sheridan
    August 30, 2013 at 2:16 am

Well I have to say that I am not a huge brussel srpout fan, however, I have the same mixer and I am IN LOVE with it!!!

August 31, 2013 at 4:19 pm

AMAZING! What are your fav things to make in it? I broke it in with cookies but would love more ideas!!

Karey @ Nutty About Health
    August 30, 2013 at 3:19 am

I LOVE brussels sprouts on the grill, so darn good!! I think that’s awesome you’re considering some nutrition classes (coming from a fellow nutrition/foodie nerd). 🙂
    Congrats on that gorgeous mixer girl!!!! That is amazing! Happy Belated B-day too! 🙂

August 31, 2013 at 4:19 pm

Love learning more about nutrition from your blog so I’m certain taking more formal classes is the next step for me 🙂

Thanks for the bday wishes!!!

Pamela @ Brooklyn Farm Girl
    August 30, 2013 at 3:59 am

Such a lovely birthday present, made me smile that you cried! How sweet! 🙂

Brussels sprouts are one of my favorites and I’m growing many for the winter, I hope to stock up! I can’t wait to try this spicy version!

August 30, 2013 at 4:06 am

Girl, I am all about the sweet stuff as well! And I’m also interested in taking nutrition classes! I think that we have a lot in common – including our love of pluots 🙂

Paige Podbelsek
    August 30, 2013 at 4:43 am

LOVE that mixer!!! You’ve got a good one. I feel ya on the sweet tooth….I have a horrible one!!

veganmiam.com
    August 30, 2013 at 10:22 am

What a pretty Kitchen Aid Stand Mixer! Have a lovely time with it, you will enjoy cooking and baking with it! Aren’t boyfriends sweet?! I’ve seen a blogger getting a Vitamix from her boyfriend 🙁 I was so jealous! I love spicy foods, but never tried a spicier version of grilled brussel sprouts!

August 31, 2013 at 4:21 pm

Vitamix is my next coveted gift! Have a feeling I will be buying that one for myself though 🙂

You have awesome spicy recipes!!!

Christina @ Pinch of Healthy
    August 31, 2013 at 12:08 pm

I love brussels sprouts but have never tried grilling them so will have to try this! As for baking being a science I completely agree, one over measurement can spell disaster!

Congrats on the awesome stand mixer, such a sweet boyfriend 🙂

August 31, 2013 at 4:22 pm

So many disasters have occurred in my kitchen! But when you get it right nothing could be more satisfying!

Jillienne @ ChasingRaspberries.com
    September 1, 2013 at 5:23 am

I love brussels sprouts and I love spicy food. This is a match made in heaven!

Molly @ The Happiness Recipe
    September 1, 2013 at 12:56 pm

Yum that looks delicious. I love brussel sprouts but my family isn’t too keen on them! I’m hoping they’ll let me make this recipe for Thanksgiving because your marinade definitely adds a spice from the usual bland flavour! You don’t often find brussel sprout recipes that stretch beyond butter or garlic butter! Thanks.

Gabby @ the veggie nook
    September 4, 2013 at 10:33 am

My dream job is totally to one day have a healthy bakery/cafe/restaurant so I am totally jealous of that stand mixer! Love the colour too, so happy! 🙂

These look great, never tried brussels sprouts grilled before!

Sweet Potato Rice Pudding - The Healthy Maven
    February 4, 2014 at 5:00 am

[…] frustrations on the oven. AND now that I’m in my own place I’m allowed to keep the stand mixer in all its glory out on the kitchen counter. Truth-be-told I have no need to furnish the rest of […]

reduce male breasts
    March 15, 2014 at 11:29 am

Hello, I also wish for to share my view here, when i don

No-Bake Chocolate Blueberry Bars - The Healthy Maven
    June 15, 2014 at 5:00 am

[…] had some good karma in a past life, or caught C on a good day because for my birthday last year he gifted me one. And just so you know, he was out of town on my birthday and I came home to the biggest and […]

Slow Cooker Apple Pie Steel-Cut Oatmeal - The Healthy Maven
    September 9, 2014 at 5:00 am

[…] disguise that I didn’t like it. In his defence, he went big last year and after buying me my red beauty, he made it pretty much impossible to top it. It’s the thought that counts, right? Please […]

Have a Vegan Fourth of July - Fruity Living
    July 3, 2015 at 1:16 pm

[…] Spicy Grilled Brusssel Sprouts from The Healthy Maven  […]

Strawberries Blog
    September 12, 2016 at 2:51 pm

Sweet Meets Savory With Happy Birthday Ribbon

[…] d. anything spicy seems like a staple in our household. i have to try this i thi […]