Uncategorized

{MIMM} The Montreal Edition

September 2, 2013

This isn’t the first and certainly won’t be the last post dedicated to Montreal shenanigans, but I thought this past weekend was worthy of its own MIMM. Remember that time I wrote a post welcoming C to Toronto? Psych! He ended up taking a new job, which requires 5 months of training in Montreal so back to long distance we go! It’s all good though. If there’s any city in the world I would want to be visiting frequently it’s Montreal. I spent 4 years there for school so it will always have a soft spot in my heart.

This past weekend was different than my years as a student and many other visits. Rather than living in the student ghetto or Plateau area C has an apartment in The Old Port which is an entirely different experience. If you’ve ever been to Montreal than you know The Old Port is well, old. It’s pretty reminiscent of Europe with it’s cobblestone streets and beautiful stone buildings. If you’ve never been…GO.

View from C’s roof.

The plan was to drive from Toronto to Montreal on Friday, move C in and then take a day trip to Vermont for some hiking on Saturday. But rain and other circumstances prevented the day trip. When we got to the loft on Friday let’s just say its condition was less than stellar. It’s also up 4 very steep and long flights of stairs so we “beast moded” the move. We ended up spending most of Friday night cleaning (and polishing off a bottle of wine) so when we woke up Saturday morning the last thing we wanted to do was drive 2.5 hours and hike a mountain. It all worked out though and we ended up having a phenomenal weekend in Montreal. I thought I would share the highlights and of course some delicious eats with you!

Ready to roadtrip!

Post-move dinner #ADDICTED
Breakfast overlooking Place Jacques Cartier
Atwater Market
His eats. Pizza Mia.
Her eats. Raw, Vegan Almond Pad Thai wrap from Crudessence.
Buying a dozen Pluots
Yoga at The MAA
Homemade Pesto Chicken Zucchini Lasagna w/ fresh veggies, cheese and meat from the market.
Conquering goal #22…sort of. I fell asleep 10 mins in.
Breakfast at Muru Crepe.
Parc Olympique.
Flexing for the win!
Montreal Botanical Gardens.International Mosaicultural Exhibit.
So freaking cool!
Homemade apple crisp cups with Ben & Jerry’s Ice Cream. What better way to top off the perfect weekend?

As always a big thank you to the beautiful Katie for hosting us!

How was/is your long weekend? Have you ever been to Montreal?

Amy @ The Little Honey Bee
    September 2, 2013 at 11:16 am

Seems like a very marvelous weekend! Can’t wait for our own road trip back to Mtl. Glad you had fun, successfully cleaned, ate well (zucchini lasagna –> yum!) Have a wonderful day off lovely xo

September 3, 2013 at 1:15 am

C and I honestly had no idea what we were doing but it turned out divine! Thank god I have a bf who will eat zucchini lasagna and go to farmer’s markets with me otherwise we would be in trouble…

Run like a G!
    September 2, 2013 at 11:55 am

That apple crisp looks amazing!
    I’ve been to Parc Olympique! In 9th grade we went to Montreal for the day! It was for our french class!! It was such a beautiful place! 🙂 Tres jolie!

September 3, 2013 at 1:16 am

Believe it or not I have been going to Montreal since I was born (my Dad grew up there) and went to school there but had never been to the parc olympique!!! Glad I finally made it!

Madison
    September 2, 2013 at 12:00 pm

I have not been to Montreal but I hope to one day! Those thai chili cashews look AMAZING. My weekend has been good–had a game night with friends last night. Always a good time!

September 3, 2013 at 1:17 am

Madison I actually cannot express to you how good they are!!! We don’t have TJs in Canada so my bf brought some home for me on his last trip to the states and I have already polished off the bag. I wish he’s gotten more!

Kim @ BusyBod
    September 2, 2013 at 12:28 pm

Looks amazing! Old Montreal is my fav, kind of super jealous that you get to spend so much time there 🙂

September 3, 2013 at 1:17 am

It’s such a wonderful city and the old port especially. So fun you grew up not too far away!

Kim Lee
    September 2, 2013 at 12:40 pm

I’ve never been to Montreal or Canada at all. It looks like you had a super fun time with some REALLY delicious eats!!

September 3, 2013 at 1:18 am

It’s time we change that! I’m thinking a trip to Canada (preferably Toronto or Montreal) is in order!

September 2, 2013 at 1:22 pm

Looks like you’re having an amazing trip! I need to add Crudessence and Atwater market to my must-see list for next time I’m in Montreal. The last time I was there was actually grade 12 – I went grad dress shopping there with my mom, checked out McGill, and had an amazing dinner at Queue de Cheval!

Enjoy the rest of your long weekend girl! 🙂

September 3, 2013 at 1:18 am

Queue de cheval is to die for! It’s the coveted resto for when parents come to town 😉 You must check out crudessence and atwater market if you ever visit again!

Suzanne Poldon
    September 2, 2013 at 1:33 pm

I’vw only been to Montreal once and unfortunately it was FREEZING!! I want to go back in the summer/fall so I can actually enjoy the city!

September 3, 2013 at 1:19 am

Ah yes I froze my little butt off at McGill but Queens is pretty cold too! Much better to visit in the summer months though!

Love What You Do
    September 2, 2013 at 1:33 pm

I have never been to Montreal but I’d love to visit! That looks like a great weekend! We’ve been pretty low key this weekend which is fantastic!

kellyrunsforfood.com
    September 2, 2013 at 1:50 pm

Looks like a great weekend! I’ve never been to Montreal, but it looks awesome. I’ve had a nice chill weekend at home!

September 2, 2013 at 1:52 pm

I’ve never been to Montreal, but it’s definitely one of the Canadian cities that I’d love to visit. My cousin went to school there and said it was absolutely gorgeous. That and the city just has this energy about it, no? That being said, I have to admit that my French is rather subpar despite having studied it in school for ~8 years. I’ve heard they’re pretty good on being kind to us English speaking folk though 😉

September 3, 2013 at 1:22 am

All good! I’ve never been out west…worst Canadian ever! Funny story, when I went to my yoga class I forgot that the instructors sometimes teach in french. Definitely was a workout for my body and my brain!

Danielle @Labelsarefortincans
    September 2, 2013 at 2:28 pm

Looks like a fantastic weekend in Montreal! Two of my best friends lived there for 2 years a few years ago so I used to go up quite often and visit them. Which I can’t say was too much of a hardship 😉

I love the food and just the atmosphere there! Great you got some food from Crudessence too!

Kathy @ Vodka and Soda
    September 2, 2013 at 3:11 pm

i LOVE the old port; totally reminds me of europe 🙂

and don’t worry; i’m not a james bond fan either. I’ve actually never even seen ONE movie!

-kathy
    Vodka and Soda

September 3, 2013 at 1:20 am

It’s like going to europe without the price tag…shitty customer service and all 😉

strawberriesandrunning
    September 2, 2013 at 3:28 pm

Dang all that food looks delicious! Especially the Raw Pad Thai wrap and Apple Crisp!!! I’m jealous!
    The only time I was in Montreal was about 7 years ago (to get my green card). But, we tried out a bunch of cool restaurants, and I definitely loved it! I’m ready to go back!

Have a great day!

September 3, 2013 at 1:21 am

I’m thinking another visit to Montreal is in order…Hope YOU had a great day!

Megan (The Lyons' Share)
    September 2, 2013 at 4:28 pm

Sorry that you have to do the long-distance thing! We’ve done it several times (and, I guess we’re somewhat long-distance now since we’re both out of town 4 days a week!) – not ideal, but do-able for sure. And sounds like you have an awesome attitude! I’ve never been to Montreal, but have heard great things!

September 3, 2013 at 1:23 am

Ah glad someone can sympathize 🙂 It’s not too bad but the goodbyes (and sometimes even the hellos!) can be kind of tough. It’s only for a few months though and after 2 years of this we’re pros.

You should definitely visit Montreal! But stop by Toronto first to say hi 🙂

Brittany
    September 2, 2013 at 4:30 pm

AHH I wanna gooo!! This looks like so much fun. OMG that raw vegan wrap you got looks amazing..YUM YUM YUM! Glad you two had a great time!

softserveandsquats.com
    September 2, 2013 at 4:46 pm

It sounds like you had a perfect weekend!! I love all your pictures. Montreal looks like such a fun city!
    Those chili lime cashews look seriously amazing by the way… I’m am absolutely going to search for those on my next TJ’s outing!

Tara Condell
    September 2, 2013 at 5:52 pm

You guys are too cute! I never been to Montreal but it’s on my list to visit since it’s not too far even though it’s on the East Coast.

Good luck on your goal #22! I haven’t watched any of them yet so it would take me forever. How many have you gone through already?

September 3, 2013 at 1:25 am

do I get to count it as 1 down even though I slept through most of it? I’ve seen Quantam of Solace and that’s it…gonna be a loooooong year!

Shawn @ Fruity N Nutty
    September 2, 2013 at 11:03 pm

The yoga pic is so cool and all your eats look really delicious! I’ve never been to montreal, but would love to visit some day. 😀

FitBritt@MyOwnBalance
    September 3, 2013 at 12:03 am

It looks like you guys had such a great time! The fruit in the market looks amazing as did your wrap! I’ve never been to Montreal but would love to go someday!

September 3, 2013 at 1:26 am

I actually wish I could move into the Atwater Market and never leave. It’s such a beautiful place! Plus I’d never starve right?

September 3, 2013 at 12:03 am

Ahhh I was so disappointed when I went to Canada that I never got to go to Montreal- we were supposed to do Toronto/Quebec and Montreal but Quebec and Montreal got culled in favour of more time in Toronto! looks like you had an amazing long weekend- good eats, good antics and a killer dessert there which I HOPE a recipe will be coming soon 😉

September 3, 2013 at 1:27 am

GAHHHH YOU MAY HAVE MISSED THE BEST CITY!!! I mean don’t get me wrong I love Toronto. But Montreal is wayyyyyy more fun! Guess you’ll just have to come back…I’m offering up the BFs loft as incentive! I can definitely make that recipe happen…let’s just say there was A LOT of butter and sugar involved. It happens!

gottaeatgreen.com
    September 3, 2013 at 12:58 am

Aww looks like you had a great time! I am so jealous.. I miss MTL and I haven’t been in ages!! There is always something going on in that city!

September 3, 2013 at 1:28 am

Always! I love how vibrant and exciting it is. Especially down by the old port!

Curly Pink Runner
    September 3, 2013 at 1:53 am

I cried a little bit looking at that photo of the zucchini lasagna— looks SOOO good!! 🙂

September 3, 2013 at 4:21 pm

I’m thinking of maybe posting the recipe? We weren’t sure how it would turn out but it was pretty divine!

Beth Sheridan
    September 3, 2013 at 2:17 am

I have never been to Canada, but you sure make me want to visit!! That market and that pizza are making my mouth water right now!

kumars kitchen
    September 3, 2013 at 2:51 am

we are so happy,you had a wonderful time in Montreal…those fresh berries and botanical garden urges us to visit the beautiful place some time soon….the home made lasagna and crisps look irresistible….adorable clicks,HAVE A BEAUTIFUL DAY!!! 🙂

Sarah Cook
    September 3, 2013 at 5:07 am

That sucks that you guys have to do long distance but at least you get to visit an awesome city when you see him!
    Looks like you had a perfect weekend and I agree that Ben & Jerry’s is the perfect way to end it!

veganmiam.com
    September 3, 2013 at 6:36 am

Montreal – I would love to visit the city one day especially the Botanical Gardens (I love sculptured gardens). The berries look so juicy and beautiful at the Atwater Market, including the vegan and raw almond pad thai wrap! May I have that wrap?! My weekend was pretty lazy, I took my friend to a beach in Valencia, about 15-20 minutes metro ride, and she loved the beach. So she was there for two full days, but I couldn’t bear the sun at all, it was pretty intense (she got red all over). I stayed in and ate comfort Asian foods. I haven’t been to Montreal…but I want to! I’m glad you had a wonderful weekend in Montreal!

September 3, 2013 at 4:23 pm

You must must must add it to your list of places to visit! I would love to see the vegan finds you spot in Montreal! Crudessence is a popular one but with your keen eye I have no doubt you would unravel a whole new side to the city!

Julie @ Food Fitness and Happiness
    September 3, 2013 at 10:21 am

Hi Davida! It’s so fun that you came to Montreal! This is where I live now (borned and raised in quebec city but moved to Mtl for college). It’s so cool that you did yoga at MAA. I work at Nautilus Plus (a gym) 5 minutes from the MAA. Come say Hi next time 🙂

September 3, 2013 at 4:24 pm

No way!!! I will be back in the next few months so I must come say hi! I went to the MAA for 3 years when I was at McGill. Never heard of Nautilus Plus but will tell my bf about it since he’s looking for a new gym!

Karey @ Nutty About Health
    September 3, 2013 at 1:21 pm

I’ve never been to Canada, but Montreal looks gorgeous! Hopefully someday I’ll visit. Those gardens are gorgeous! Such cool sculptures. 🙂

Christina @ Pinch of Healthy
    September 3, 2013 at 1:59 pm

Montreal is probably my favourite place in Canada, I used to go there every summer to stay with my cousins and I always came back with tons of great clothes! Glad you had a fabulous weekend!

A Fit Fashionista
    September 3, 2013 at 3:20 pm

Great post!! I have only been to Whistler and Vancouver. Montreal looks lovely!

September 3, 2013 at 4:25 pm

I’ve never been out West (Worst Canadian ever!) but I’m gonna bet that Montreal may be the best city 🙂 This is coming from a Torontonian too!

Kierston @candyfit
    September 3, 2013 at 4:18 pm

Oh man, look at the slice of pizza!

Looks like you had a great time 🙂

My brother went to McGill…I spent many-a-days in MTL. Love that city…especially Old Montreal!

September 3, 2013 at 4:26 pm

I was drooling over his pizza! I mean the wrap was good but that pizza….

Ah I miss my McGill days! I love going back to visit though it does make me nostalgic!

Gina @ Health, Love, and Chocolate
    September 4, 2013 at 12:40 am

Those berries at the market look so amazing…I need summer fruit to hold on just a bit longer! Everything else looks delicious also (I already swooned over some of it on Instagram…), I am so glad you had a good weekend!

September 7, 2013 at 12:49 am

I knowwww! Stocking up on strawberries and blueberries…but I have broken out the pumpkin!

Melissa @ Fit 'n' Well Mommy
    September 5, 2013 at 5:16 am

I love Montreal! My brother, sister-in-law and two nieces live there, so it always has a soft spot in my heart! We visit them once a year and I always look forward to seeing the city again and all of the delicious restaurants!

Love your blog by the way! I’m a new follower! 🙂

-Melissa @ Fit ‘n’ Well Mommy