balls/bites dessert Fall gluten-free snacks vegan

Apple Pie Bites

October 9, 2013

No surprise here, apple pie reminds me of Thanksgiving. I have some issues with Thanksgiving though, and I intend to spend the rest of this post venting about them. Yes, I am using these delicious bites of goodness as an excuse to release my frustrations. If you have a problem with it I suggest you scroll down to the recipe instead.

I’ve mentioned a few times here that I have dual citizenship, meaning I am both American and Canadian. I’ve spent the majority of my life living in Canada and am very much a proud Canadian. I tend to view my American citizenship as a convenience. I will never have to get a Visa to live and work in The States and for that I am truly thankful. I also have mad respect for Trader Joe’s and quality customer service so I will defend America to the death on these two subjects. But for the most part I ooze Canadian pride.

And then there’s Thanksgiving. Canadians celebrate Thanksgiving in October (this coming weekend), unlike Americans who celebrate at the end of November.

Here’s where my issues begin.

Get your apple pie fix with these raw, gluten-free, vegan and refined sugar-free apple pie bites! Ready in 20 minutes and will totally satisfy your sweet tooth for dessert or a snack.Canadians just don’t know how to do Thanksgiving. Strike #1: No one knows when to celebrate it. Is it Sunday or Monday? Typical Canadian indecisiveness. Then there’s the food. Sure Canadians have a turkey, but where the heck are my yams with marshmallows?!?! Not cool Canada.

I am definitely not a football fan, but I love the fact that my American compatriots shut down everything for some good ole’ American ball. If you’ve ever seen the Canadian Football League play you would understand my qualms.

The list could go on, but you are either a) Canadian and horrified by this post, b) American and already know that you do Thanksgiving better or c) from somewhere else and don’t give a rat’s ass.

Moral of the story is that this weekend I will NOT be celebrating Canadian Thanksgiving. In fact I plan on raiding the nearest Trader Joe’s on my weekend escape to Minneapolis. End scene.

apple-pie-bites-5Get your apple pie fix with these raw, gluten-free, vegan and refined sugar-free apple pie bites! Ready in 20 minutes and will totally satisfy your sweet tooth for dessert or a snack.

Apple Pie Bites

PREP TIME 10 mins

1. Add dates and apple rings to a food processor and process until pea-sized.
  2. Add in cashews and process until dates, apple rings and cashews come together in a sticky ball.
  3. Break up the ball with your hands and add in the oats, spices and salt.
  4. Continue processing until all ingredients are well combined and have a sticky consistency.
  5. Roll into 15-20 balls
  6. Store in fridge or freezer.

Do you celebrate Thanksgiving? What are some of your typical Thanksgiving traditions?

Ksenija @ Health Ninja
    October 9, 2013 at 10:53 am

Hahaha, I actually never heard of Canadian Thanksgiving before – but it sounds kind of fun 😉 In Germany we don’t celebrate Thanksgiving at all, but I am enjoying a lot of the recipes and treats all fall through, so I guess that is all right. And regarding the apple pie bites: I would totally make these, but I have to admit the moment that I bring dried apple rings home they are gone. I am just too much of a fan of eating them by the handful.

taylorbee
    October 9, 2013 at 10:54 am

haha, I don’t blame you for being frustrated — thanksgiving is too delicious to not do right! also… these apple pie bites look AMAZING. pinning now and making ASAP!

Chelsea @ chelseashealthykitchen.com
    October 9, 2013 at 11:00 am

I’m offended!!! Just kidding.

I actually agree with you that I wish Canada made as big of a deal of Thanksgiving as Americans. That being said, my family does a pretty good job of celebrating it. We always have a big turkey feast at my grandma’s, including a trip to the local county fair beforehand. And then my parents, sister and I usually have a 2nd little celebration together just so that we can bake our own turkey for the sake of having leftovers haha.

softserveandsquats.com
    October 9, 2013 at 11:01 am

Haha this post made me laugh 🙂 Your feelings about Canadian Thanksgiving definitely seem justified, and the Trader Joe’s outing sounds like a brilliant alternative!
    Sweet potato + marshmallow = my all-time favorite Thanksgiving dish.
    Have a wonderful Wednesday my dear!

Sky-Ann @ The Little Button
    October 9, 2013 at 11:17 am

Your Apple Pie bites looks good!!! Hope you have a great weekend. I am not sure if I am up to making a turkey supper this weekend. I would do it on a Sunday so we could have leftovers on the Monday and just relax…we will see 🙂

Katie @ Daily Cup of Kate
    October 9, 2013 at 11:27 am

I need a food processor badly! Yum, these sound tasty!

veganmiam.com
    October 9, 2013 at 11:28 am

I’m very picky around apples – it has to be tangy and sweet, particularly green and peeled. Do you have a favorite apple? What?! Dual American & Canadian – lucky girl and Trader Joe’s awesome hehehe! YAY that we will be celebrating Thanksgiving on the same day – I can’t wait to see your Thanksgiving meals! These Apple Pie bites look scrumptious!

I celebrate Thanksgiving with Doni and his family a lot, but my family don’t celebrate it at all, but my parents’ birthdays are around that time so I usually visit them. I simply can’t wait for Thanksgiving, for the past few years, 75% of the meals were vegan and delish!

Happy Thanksgiving to you in Canada – haha!

Gabby @ the veggie nook
    October 9, 2013 at 11:34 am

Hahahah this post made me giggle. I kind of like Canadian Thanksgiving, in it’s flexibility (that way you can go to 2 dinners if your significant other has one too!) and I’ve never been a fan of marshmallows or football 😉 I think it’s laid-backness and lack of focus is what makes it truly Canadian. I mean after all, all we want is an excuse to get together with family, eat rich food and be lazy right?

Hope you have a wonderful weekend away!

Madison
    October 9, 2013 at 12:07 pm

This post makes me chuckle~!! and it makes me hungry because these apple pie bites look so delish!!! lara-barish!

Jessie
    October 9, 2013 at 12:15 pm

Ha Ha, you’re too funny! I totally think you should be leaving in the states – at least during OUR Thanksgiving holiday.

October 9, 2013 at 12:25 pm

Lol oh girl. I’m Canadian and I’m totally with you on our lack of Thanksgiving OOMPF. First off, it just comes too early. I love the whole holiday season thing that the Americans got going on… but I guess we gotta do it early in Canada because it just gets so dang cold by November. Gah. Nevertheless, my family still celebrates with a turkey dinner and lots of good food. There’s still ways to make the most of it.

Oh… and these bites look delicious 🙂

Heather Wilson
    October 9, 2013 at 12:28 pm

That recipe looks amazing!

last year we went over to a friends house for Canadian Thanksgiving. It was in October and a Sunday. She is from Canada, but her husband is in the military and is stationed here in Florida. She doesn’t have any family here so she really wanted to still have a huge Canadian Thanksgiving with all of her closest friends. I most certainly expecting “thanksgiving” type foodies, but nope! We didn’t even have turkey! It was like a mix of all kinds of food including, shrimp, and beef. Oh, and yes they had football on until it was time to eat!

Jo @ Living Mint Green
    October 9, 2013 at 12:28 pm

Canadians put ZERO effort into anything, unless it’s hockey or drinking. Even Canada Day sucks – we usually head down to Montana to celebrate July 4 (which also happens to be my bday!).

Cailee Joy
    October 9, 2013 at 12:30 pm

Seriously, those look AMAZING!! I LOVE apples in the fall time… it’s a great way to bring in the new season!

Miss Polkadot
    October 9, 2013 at 12:33 pm

Go you for making best use of your dual citizenship and celebrating Thanksgiving whichever way suits you best! I fall into group c) but I wish we had Thanksgiving over here. Just the whole idea of another weekend spent celebrating with the family in those cold fall months is awesome. I’ll admit I wasn’t quite aware of the difference between American and Canadian Thanksgiving – aside from the dates – until now. Thanks for shedding some light onto it – though I’m sorry Canada disappoints you on that term.

Erin @ The Almond Eater
    October 9, 2013 at 12:34 pm

These look so good. I’m just waiting on that food processor..

I didn’t know Canadians celebrated Thanksgiving in October. I think it’s funny you’re boycotting the whole thing. I have to say I’m probably letter B in those list of options 🙂

Megan (The Lyons Share)
    October 9, 2013 at 12:42 pm

Of course, you’ve done it again … made me smile, AND made me drool. Looks delicious! (And I’ll be sure NOT to wish you Happy Thanksgiving on Monday!)

October 9, 2013 at 12:49 pm

Haha okay, well are you going to celebrate American Thanksgiving then? A year without any Thanksgiving sounds like a very sad year indeed!

kellyrunsforfood.com
    October 9, 2013 at 1:02 pm

Haha I never knew much about Canadian Thanksgiving, but glad to know I’m not missing much. Thanksgiving is for watching football and the original Home Alone movie (to get you ready for X-mas season). Yams and marshmallows are DEFINITELY a must-have too! Favorite Thanksgiving foods (in order of importance) are: yams/marshmallows, corn pudding, pumpkin pie, cranberry mold (my mom’s recipe), and then turkey.

Amy @ Elephant Eats
    October 9, 2013 at 1:03 pm

hehehe! I can’t even imagine Thanksgiving without the traditional foods. In fact, my brother and I are SO about tradition that my mom has tried to do slight variations on our usual menu and we both threw a fit 🙂 I totally understand why you’re boycotting Canadian T-day! Or maybe you should go around doing demos to show canadians the right way to do it? 😉 Did you live in America at all while growing up?

nutritiouslysweet.com
    October 9, 2013 at 1:05 pm

Oh my these look like munchkins from dunkin donuts! They look so good, so gonna have to try!

nicole @ fruitnfitness
    October 9, 2013 at 1:18 pm

These look great! I love that the ingredient list is short and clean, and apples are everywhere this time of year. Walking into any market the smell of the fresh apples makes me want to eat all the apples.

Run like a G!
    October 9, 2013 at 1:22 pm

Those look amazing!
    Thanksgiving is my FAVORITE holiday!!! LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE IT!

Sarah Pie
    October 9, 2013 at 1:22 pm

Hahaha I don’t even like football and I still got a good giggle out of that rant 🙂 I’m with you on Trader Joes being one of the best places ever though so I wish you luck on your raid this weekend (word to the wise though stay away from their pumpkin spice tea…. unless you know you like it then by all means drink up… but I thought it was just a pretty tin with a really gross tea inside!)

James
    October 9, 2013 at 1:26 pm

hahaha any rant about a lack of yams and marshmallows is justified in my world! I mean, if you’re going to do Thanksgiving, you gotta do it right 🙂

Molly @ The Happiness Recipe
    October 9, 2013 at 2:59 pm

I’m so excited for Thanksgiving! I’m sad that I am not at home to print of DIYs and decorate our house but I’ll still be celebrating over a feast of Turkey, my grandma’s amazing mashed yams, green beans, beets, roasted parsnip, stuffing (though it isn’t my favourite), brownies (because I make the most decadent brownies that appear at every holiday) and of course lots and lots of pies! Is it bad that the appetizers of mini quiches, spinach dip and smoked salmon are also on my list? OH AND baked goods – aka pumpkin everything and gingerbread cookies? We always go apple picking in fall but this year we are also visiting a Pumpkin patch. Usually we take photos because the change in leaves and fall scenery is too hard not to photgraph!

Caitlin
    October 9, 2013 at 3:01 pm

these sound so yum! also i LOLed at the “mad respect for trader joe’s” comment. i had no idea you had dual citizenship!

Molly @ The Happiness Recipe
    October 9, 2013 at 3:02 pm

Oh and, personally I think the American Thanksgiving is TOOOO close to Christmas. At least Canada spreads out their holidays! Who said you can’t put marshmallows on yams anyway? Please tell me you’ll at least be celebrating Thanksgiving at a later date – you can’t boycot it completely!!

Kim @ Hungry Healthy Girl
    October 9, 2013 at 3:05 pm

If you’re going to miss Canada’s Thanksgiving, then you better make your way back down to the States for the American Thanksgiving!! Love that you used cashews in these apple bites….. cashews make everything better!

Shawn @ Fruity N Nutty
    October 9, 2013 at 3:15 pm

Haha, hope you have a great weekend Davida! We don’t celebrate thanksgiving here, but I definitely wouldn’t mind some roast turkey or yams and marshmallows, Can’t believe there is no baking required in this recipe, simply sounds too good to be true!

Em Kathryn
    October 9, 2013 at 3:23 pm

Cute post! And these look amazing. I celebrate Thanksgiving at the end of November. While I’m more a fan of the sides and desserts of Thanksgiving, I really just like the holiday because it gets family together (most times who I only see once or twice a year for such occasions). My day puts on a great feast and I know it brings him much happiness to see his family enjoy it. Have a great day! 🙂

Jessica @ FromtheKitchentotheRoad
    October 9, 2013 at 3:31 pm

Funny post. I am American only so there is no question in my mind about Thanksgiving. It is on the 4th Thursday of November every year from now until eternity. We spend all day cooking to stuff our faces during one meal. Good times.

Kim @ BusyBod
    October 9, 2013 at 3:47 pm

Bahaha I love your rant! Growing up close to the border, I have all sorts of love for Canada (actually, I think I would love living there, only the cold keeps me away!), but we definitely rock a mean Thanksgiving down here. The apple pie bites look to die for. I wish I could have apples! Grumble.

Amelia @chai a cup of life
    October 9, 2013 at 4:01 pm

Sounds like a confusing time. I suppose if you are going to celebrate something, you should do it right! I have celebrated thanksgiving once when I was living in US. It was a feast and loved it!

jessiebearwhatwillyou
    October 9, 2013 at 4:32 pm

THESE LOOK GLORIOUS.

October 9, 2013 at 4:41 pm

I can’t say I disagree – we really don’t know what the hell we’re doing when it comes to Thanksgiving. In fact, mine is actually being delayed a week, so my family REALLY doesn’t know how to do it. Le sigh. Annnd I’ll be jealous of you in Trader Joe’s this weekend!

nuttylifeang
    October 9, 2013 at 4:41 pm

Whoa! I never knew that Canadian Thanksgiving was in October. Hm… I have some questions about this. What do you do for Turkey Trots? Is that a thing in Canada? Why no sweet potatoes (although I could leave the marshmallows out)? What about pumpkin pie? Stuffing? No football? What kind of Thanksgiving is this!? And how do you do black Friday shopping?

Okay I actually only really wonder about the Turkey Trots. The rest of that is a joke. While the food and festivities are fun, it’s the thoughtfulness/idea of the day that matters the most to me. No… stuffing matters to me too, but whatever.

Khushboo
    October 9, 2013 at 5:29 pm

Not American or Canadian but I’ll take any excuse to eat excessive amounts of turkey & sweet potato..and pie ;)! Although I think you need to take advantage of your dual nationality and milk both Thanksgivings!!

Consuelo @ Honey & Figs
    October 9, 2013 at 5:51 pm

It’s a pity that we don’t celebrate Thanksgiving in Spain, because I’d definitely love me some marshmallow yams and turkey! These bites look amazing, though, and I’m surely going to try them 🙂

Tara
    October 9, 2013 at 5:54 pm

Marshmallow yams, what? I must be doing Thanksgiving wrong because I never heard of that!

I know we already talked about HIMYM but Robin makes me love Canada! And you and the fact that an Ai Wei Wei exhibit is in your hood!

End scene.

Jillienne @ ChasingRaspberries
    October 9, 2013 at 6:50 pm

Haha! Now I am very curious about Canadian Thanksgiving! FYI, my grandma makes the best marshmallow yams! She might have an extra seat this year! 😉

eating4balance
    October 9, 2013 at 7:09 pm

Clearly it is YOU who needs to make a cookbook 🙂 I could just sink my teeth into some of these buddies.

Canadian Thanksgiving sounds… depressing. Haha. What is Thanksgiving without football (even though I don’t like the sport I couldn’t imagine my holidays without talk of football!), some type of sweet potato casserole, and why don’t they know when to celebrate it? How odd.

My favorite Thanksgiving tradition is to drive to West Virginia to see all of my country cousins. Lol. They would balk if they heard me say that, and I never would 🙂 But I just love sitting down with my dad’s side of the family and listening to all of their stories!

Nikki @ The Road to Less Cake
    October 9, 2013 at 7:58 pm

Don’t they look both cute and tasty?

Sarah Cook
    October 9, 2013 at 8:12 pm

Well, I didn’t know any of those facts regarding Canadian Thanksgivings so thank you for sharing, er venting. 🙂
    I like Thanksgiving because it means we get to be fat and lazy and that’s what American’s do best! Haha. I kid. We’re not lazy.

These bites look delicious! Have fun at Trader Joes! 🙂

Mary Frances McNellis
    October 9, 2013 at 8:22 pm

Haha, you made me laugh (even though thats probably innaproproate … sorry:) I’m American:) These apple pie bites sound amazing and I love how easy they are! Perfect for snacking! I’m off to go get more dates. Running out of dates is depressing:) Hugs, Mary Frances

October 9, 2013 at 8:32 pm

Those apple pie bites look tasty!!!
    I love Thanksgiving – sometimes I think I like it more than Christmas because it is more relaxing. This year (as in many past), my younger brother and his family are coming to spend most of the week with us. There will be plenty of food, drink, Wii/XBox, shopping, laughing, working out – it will just be perfect. And then when they leave on Saturday or hopefully not till Sunday, I will spend the rest of of the weekend decorating for Christmas!!
    Hopefully you have plans to be in the US for Thanksgiving!!!

Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table
    October 9, 2013 at 9:29 pm

You crack me up! They should just move it to Nov!

healthnutjulie.com
    October 9, 2013 at 10:43 pm

Ummm, I will take two Thanksgivings ANY DAY! LOL That’s awesome you’re a dual citizen 🙂 I don’t have a TJ’s anywhere near me so shop for both of us, please!

Brittany
    October 9, 2013 at 10:57 pm

So it’s totally cool that you have duel citizenship!! I back you up 100% on this, and not just because I am American. October is for Halloween, and should NOT have to be shared!! SPACE THAT SHIT OUT! November just oozes Thanksgiving for me and YES the food must be spot on!!

October 9, 2013 at 11:10 pm

I wish we celebrated Thanksgiving- I love Turkey! I love the simplicity of this recipe- I think I need a food processor, instead of going to Mum’s with ingredients and using hers!

So jelly of your dual citizenship! 😉

FitBritt@MyOwnBalance
    October 10, 2013 at 12:17 am

I am in category B! 🙂 I love Thanksgiving. Our tradition is actually the next day. After all the traditional food, we go out to dinner and to the movies the day after. When I lived in Australai I made a whole American Thanksgiving for all my Aussie friends. It was the middle of spring and the turkey was $80 for only 6kilos.

Sarah @ Feeeding the Brain and Body
    October 10, 2013 at 12:54 am

I’m not in category A, B, or C. I am Canadian, but I am not horrified this post. I slightly agree that we are confused on the days, and it just makes for confusion when planning the weekend. I guess it is good that we are still thankful haha.

These bites look fantastic. It’s always great to have another bites recipe!

Alexis @ Hummusapien
    October 10, 2013 at 1:39 am

Hahah you go girl! I love your mad respect for TJ’s. The feeling is totally mutual. These look like total heaven….can’t wait to whip them up once I get my hands on some TJ’s dried apple rings!! YUM.

Jan Sproutsnsquats
    October 10, 2013 at 5:23 am

Ummmm yumm! No we don’t celebrate thanksgiving but I wish we did.

I seriously have to buy a food processor that doesn’t die when I try and blend up dates so I can make these!! YUM!

Pamela @ Brooklyn Farm Girl
    October 11, 2013 at 2:59 am

Where have these apple pie bites been my entire life? I don’t know but I need them to enter my life as soon as possible, especially in my mouth! Oh goodness!

caitandtherealworld
    October 11, 2013 at 4:01 am

I’m a proud Canadian and I found myself laughing at every “beef” you had with our holiday. However, I am incredibly excited to go home and visit with my family this Thanksgiving, moving out has made me more than a little homesick! I think I’ll make these for the bus ride home, something tells me travelling during rush hour will make me hungry!

Melissa
    October 11, 2013 at 4:59 am

Your apple pie bites look delicious! Since I’m American, we celebrate Thanksgiving. Since my mom is Italian we don’t do the typical Thanksgiving. We have turkey, but with raviolis, artichoke torta (a family specialty), a veggie dish, focaccia bread, homemade cranberry sauce and salad. For dessert, we always have pumpkin pie and usually an apple dessert, too! Just thinking about it is making my mouth water!

-Melissa @ Fit ‘n’ Well Mommy

Tina
    October 11, 2013 at 6:24 pm

Lol…you’re so funny and you’re certainly entitled to vent! I love traditions. My family definitely does the whole turkey deal here in CT, US. However, I’m half Italian so we sometimes ALSO do lasagna. Sooo muuuch foood.
    I need a good healthy snack to counteract that day (and really any other day where I’m not a healthy eater) and this one will do just fine. I love the ingredients! I love that it’s easy! And I love that I don’t have to bake them. Clear winner in my book. 🙂
    Tina at http://www.tinaschic.com

*CaNdY FiT*
    October 11, 2013 at 8:28 pm

Please send some over my way. Please. thank you 🙂

GiGi Eats Celebrities
    October 11, 2013 at 11:39 pm

These remind me of when I was in grade school and teachers would get mini donuts (Munchkins?) and I would HOARD THEM ALL… And shovel them in my face! Awww the memories, lol!

Kiran @ KiranTarun.com
    October 13, 2013 at 2:52 am

I’d happily devour this if its served for thanksgiving, American or Canadian ways it doesn’t matter 😉

Madeline Ferdinand
    October 15, 2013 at 10:23 pm

Umm. Just wow. I just made these and I am in LOVE! Thanks so much!

Kim @ Racing Bananas
    October 16, 2013 at 2:06 am

I most definitely am making those Apple Pie Bites – yum!

almostgettingittogether.com
    October 16, 2013 at 3:13 pm

This look so good! I can’t wait to make them!

October 16, 2013 at 10:13 pm

So I have a confession….. Other than hanging with family and getting an extra day off, Thanksgiving isn’t a big deal for me. At least not when it comes to the food. I’ll take the mashed potatoes and I do mean all the potatoes, and everybody else can have the rest. Maybe we should swap Thanksgivings.

kellysensei
    November 1, 2013 at 10:11 pm

I had to add 2T water to get the mixture to stick together, but then they were great! Thanks.

Chocolate Matcha Energy Balls + An Energy Ball Round-Up! - The Healthy Maven
    May 13, 2014 at 5:03 am

[…] Energy Bites- 52 Kitchen Adventures (gf, df, nf) Apple Pie Bites- The Healthy Maven (gf, df) Apricot Almond Coconut Snacks- Pint Sized Baker (gf, df, paleo-friendly) […]

the-exercist: Raw Apple Pie Bites from The Healthy Maven: 1… |
    June 4, 2014 at 11:04 pm

[…] Raw Apple Pie Bites from The Healthy Maven: […]

Vigrx
    June 21, 2014 at 8:28 pm

Hey! I just wanted to ask if you ever have any issues
    with hackers? My last blog (wordpress) was hacked and I ended up losing many months of hard work due
    to no back up. Do you have any solutions to stop hackers?
    Vigrx recently posted…Vigrx

Lexi's Clean Kitchen – Healthy Food Friday: Apples {Apple Nachos & Kid-Friendly Apple Snacks}
    August 22, 2014 at 8:16 am

[…] Raw Apple Pie Bites from The Healthy Maven […]

Courtney
    September 17, 2014 at 10:14 pm

Ah these look delicious! Is there anyway that you can make these without a food processor or blender? Could you use a hand mixer?? Probably not… Poor College kid problems… Thanks for the recipe though!!

Kelli H (Made in Sonoma)
    September 22, 2014 at 8:23 pm

I made these last night for my snacks for the week. It only ended up making 15 small balls but they are quite tasty! I enjoy the fall flavors of them. Thanks for sharing the recipe.

September 30, 2014 at 8:35 am

Glad you enjoyed!!! One of my fav Fall treats 🙂

nitrowarez.com
    October 6, 2014 at 9:55 pm

Whenn someone writes ann paragraph he/she keeps the thought oof a user in his/her miknd that how a user can understand it.
    Thus that’s why thks piece of writing iis perfect.
    Thanks!
    nitrowarez.com recently posted…nitrowarez.com

Cinnamon Apple Pie Bites | Sequins and Sushi
    April 23, 2015 at 11:00 am

[…] Adapted from: The Healthy Maven […]

Candida diet, sugar-free, gluten-free, vegan Chocolate Lava Cake Recipe | Ricki Heller
    June 8, 2015 at 2:02 pm

[…] make that!”  For instance, how about Cauliflower Tabbouleh, Lemon Raspberry Chia Pudding, Raw Apple Pie Bites, or Rosemary Cashew Bar Nuts? (See–told […]