Uncategorized

{MIMM} Weekend Recap 10/18-10/20

October 21, 2013
It’s Monday (well actually it’s Sunday but you’re probably reading this on Monday)!!!! I’m hoping if I say that with enough excitement I might trick myself into actually being excited. Not that this weekend wasn’t great. It was definitely one of those weekends that was good for my soul. And yay for sleeping for the first time in weeks! Not much to update you with on my end other than continuing to let my leg heal and enjoying my daily walks. I’m seeing a sports medicine doctor today and hopefully good things come out of that. I’ll keep you posted. Now let’s get to the recap…

Food and wine at The Steak Pit. Someone once told me that I would never find a man if I continued to order fish at steak restaurants. Well I managed to find a man who not only is okay with me eating fish at a steak restaurant but also doesn’t break-up with me when I try to feed him tempeh. HA jokes on them!

I can honestly say I have found the next best snack product. As a self-proclaimed ball aficionado, trust me when I say Kewaza Energy Balls are damn good. The peanut butter cookie dough tastes like an actual Reese’s peanut butter cup, but made with all organic, raw, non-gmo, REAL ingredients. Now that’s a product I can get down with.

It’s been forever since I saw a play so it was awesome to be able to check out Venus and Fur at the Bluma Appel Theatre. This play was all the rage when I was in NYC, but way out of my budget. Thanks to CanStage I was finally able to see it for a reasonable price. If you are in Toronto go.see.this. It was fantastic!

Let me introduce you to my new breakfast obsession. Vegan and GF Pumpkin Chai French Toast. I highly suggest you continue following my blog, if only for this upcoming recipe.

Finally met my girl Lexi from Lexi’s Clean Kitchen. When it comes to healthy, dairy-free, gluten-free and paleo-friendly recipes this girl seriously knows what’s up. Do yourself a favour and check out her blog. Lexi- the world is way too small in the best way. You and Mike are so adorable and I cannot wait for you to be back in Toronto!
A lot of you commented on this picture from my Instagram. Since I’m feeling generous I’ll share the recipe with you. Full credit goes to the chef of my baking course for the recipe. You should also note that this duals as an arm workout since you whip the cream by hand. An update on the baking course coming soon!

Mocha Bavarian Cream
(yields: 22 custard cups)

500ml milk
250g sugar
25g gelatin (or agar agar)
10g cocoa powder
15g coffee emulsion
2g salt
5g vanilla extract
500ml whipping cream, cold

1. Place milk in a medium pot and bring to a boil
2. In a large bowl blend sugar and gelatin. Whisk in eggs and salt. Add boiled milk to mixture and whisk to blend together and ensure gelatin has dissolved.
3. Place mixture back in pot and over medium heat whisk for 5 minutes. Do not stop whisking or you will have scrambled eggs.
4. Stir in cocoa powder and coffee emulsion.
5. Remove mixture from heat and allow to cool.
6. Using a cold bowl and cold whipping cream, whip cream by hand until soft peaks are reached.
7. Add whipping cream to the milk mixture and fold gently to incorporate.
8. Pour into ramekins and freeze.
9. Remove from freezer 30 mins before serving.

HOLY WOW THESE ARE GOOD!

Any new products you’ve fallen in love with recently? Do you ever see live theatre?
I would love to hear about your weekend escapades!
    veganmiam.com
    October 21, 2013 at 1:45 am

I feel like it’s already Monday 🙂 Keep me updated about your leg after your doctor visit, hope all goes well! I’ve never seen these energy balls, are they vegan, too otherwise they look really cute though! I saw your french toast on IG, it looked amazing and delish! I wish I have them for breakfast in bed tomorrow morning 🙂 I’ve seen live theatre in Chicago, it’s called Motherfucker with the Hat (pardon the cursing, hehe) and Jimmy Smits played the recovery sponsor in the show. It was pretty cool to see him in person. So far, stayed in, tried a chai & strawberry cheesecake at an Argentinian-Swedish vegan cafe and it was really rich, luscious and tasty but couldn’t finish it all…I think my sweets level has been decreasing lately…I’m not sure why….I used to love sweets back in Oregon, but here in Buenos Aires, I’ve been eating less amusing dishes…and not really eating much at all. I hope you have a wonderful Sunday evening <3

Megan (The Lyons Share)
    October 21, 2013 at 1:53 am

SO glad you had a refreshing weekend – you needed it! The balls look great – never heard of that brand. If I refresh your blog every 10 minutes for the next week, will the french toast recipe come sooner?!? Chai and pumpkin are 2 of my favorite flavors ever!

Kim @ BusyBod
    October 21, 2013 at 2:28 am

I can’t wait for the update on your baking course; it looks like you are learning so much! Or maybe you already knew a lot of it since you’re such a kitchen magician, but I’m constantly amazed by the things you are making! I also can’t wait for this life changing pumpkin chai french toast recipe. I LOVE french toast… and chai… and pumpkin! I’m excited 🙂

Nikki@will run for pizza
    October 21, 2013 at 2:36 am

Ohmygosh everything on this post sounds good! I’ve GOT to hunt down those pb protein balls!! Glad your getting some therapy for your leg – and getting sleep!

October 21, 2013 at 2:45 am

Still Sunday here (barely!)! That cream dish looks amazing – I’m pretty sure that is way out of my league! Sometimes my favorite part of a steak dinner is the potato and looks like you still got that with your fish so it’s a win! (and I get fish a lot, too!)

October 21, 2013 at 3:03 am

I’m actually reading this on Sunday night… We’ve still got 3 hours to go until Monday hits 😉 But I’m glad to hear that you had a refreshing weekend — R&R is what weekends should be all about. Well, R&R and good food, friends, and family. I got a good dose of each of those this weekend, so no complaints over here.

Keeping my fingers crossed for your doc appointment <3

Karey @ Nutty About Health
    October 21, 2013 at 3:07 am

Those Kewaza Energy Balls sound great!! I’ve never seen then before, but I’ll have to be on the lookout now. Sounds like a great weekend & that french toast looks delicious! 🙂

Danielle @Labelsarefortincans
    October 21, 2013 at 3:20 am

Sounds like a great weekend! I sure hope I can find a guy without eating steak… 😉 I love CanStage for their great deals! I also need to take advantage of all these under-30 and student tickets…

Sarah Cook
    October 21, 2013 at 3:53 am

Okay, if you say those balls are good, then I know they are good! They sound yummy.

You are always meeting up with so many bloggers! When are you going to make your way to San Francisco to come see me?! 😉

p.s. Can’t wait to see that French toast recipe. Pumpkin + chai sounds like a great combo!

Paige Podbelsek
    October 21, 2013 at 4:12 am

CANNOT WAIT for that french toast recipe!! Holy wow that looks good. Also those protein balls look like something I definitely need to try out. Happy Monday!

elise @ cheers yall
    October 21, 2013 at 4:15 am

that vegan french toast…WHOA. aaaaamazing looking.

xx
    elise

Jan @ Sprouts n Squats
    October 21, 2013 at 5:32 am

I can’t wait for that Chai French toast recipe it sounds delicious!! I love my chai lattes so anything associated with that I am so on board with!

Sounds like you had quite the weekend. Also sounds like you and Lexi had a great time 🙂 That dessert I am once again drooling over!

On the weekend Nick and I went to Sydney, we basically ate and drank the whole weekend, it was very marvellous indeed! Highlight was definitely going to the zoo together and watching the animals.

Ksenija @ With An Open Mind
    October 21, 2013 at 7:02 am

What a marvelous weekend! And the Chai French Toast looks awesome. I am really curious for the recipe. If I wouldn’t have followed your blog for a while already, I would totally start now 😉 if only for the baking course update. Sounds fun and exciting.

October 21, 2013 at 9:07 am

Hope everything with the doctor goes well buddy- and you get more insight into it!

Sounds like a mad fun weekend, and lol- ordering fish at a steak restaurant. My sister orders seafood marinara spaghetti without the seafood at Italian restaurants- instead of just a classic marinara spaghetti. Strange girl. I try so hard to sleep in, and those times I try to, ironically, I wake up earlier. fml

Cannot wait for that french toast recipe- and as if you need any more damn balls, you have invented every flavour possible….

Shawn @ Fruity N Nutty
    October 21, 2013 at 10:46 am

Happy Monday Davida! Looks like you’ve had a great weekend. I much prefer fish to stake too, ain’t nothing wrong about that. I’ve never tried Bavarian Cream before, that picture is simply gorgeous! Looking forward to the French Toast recipe, come to think of it, I haven’t had french toasts in ages. So, hurry hurry with the recipe! :p

Kathy @ Vodka and Soda
    October 21, 2013 at 10:49 am

haha! you’re a ball aficionado!!! that made me laugh! i need those balls in my life!

that pic is lovely! saw that in IG too.

-kathy
    Vodka and Soda

Joanne
    October 21, 2013 at 10:54 am

As a girl who orders only vegetables at steak restaurants…I totally get you!! And thank god for boys who understand and love our culinary preferences!

softserveandsquats.com
    October 21, 2013 at 11:03 am

What a fantastic-looking weekend. Would love to find those energy balls… if it tastes like a Reese’s, sign me up!!! Have a wonderful day love!

Madison
    October 21, 2013 at 11:05 am

What an awesome weekend! And you look so beautiful, as always. 🙂

Chelsea @ chelseashealthykitchen.com
    October 21, 2013 at 11:10 am

That pumpkin chai French toast looks amazing! I guess I’ll continue following your blog. 😉

I’ve never heard of Venus in Furs (does it have anything to do with The Velvet Underground song?), but I love going to see live theatre. I usually go to see plays/musicals in Stratford or Theatre Aquarius in Hamilton at least once per year.

Elise @ 9toFit.com
    October 21, 2013 at 11:31 am

I’ve never heard of/tried those energy balls, but I might have to go give them a try after I finish the ones I made yesterday (recipe will be on the blog tomorrow!)

Liz @ iheartvegetables
    October 21, 2013 at 11:37 am

Mmm looking forward to that pumpkin recipe! 🙂 And I found a boy who lets me feed him tempeh, too! 😉 We’re pretty lucky! haha

Sammy
    October 21, 2013 at 11:59 am

It’s so funny – in my head my initial thought about live theater is BORING! But I’ve never been to a play that I didn’t enjoy….there really is something about a live performance that is just great!
    And you had me at balls that taste like peanut butter cup….I’m there! 🙂
    Good luck at the dr today!!
    -Sammy @ http://www.peaceandloveandicecream.com

Erin @ The Almond Eater
    October 21, 2013 at 12:35 pm

Where did you find those kewaza balls? Those looks amazing. I’m glad you had a relaxing weekend and good luck at the doctor today!!

kellyrunsforfood.com
    October 21, 2013 at 12:45 pm

Fish at a steak restaurant? The horror! haha I’m a steak girl all the way! I love live theater (my family actually owns a small theater in VA). I’m going to NYC to see some shows next month and I can’t wait!

October 21, 2013 at 1:20 pm

Love theater. I went to the symphony this weekend, which was fun. And I went to a concert on Sunday, so lots of live music for me. I’m glad you had such a good weekend, I can’t wait to see you, and that bavarian cream is beautiful.

October 21, 2013 at 1:47 pm

That Bavarian cream looks incredible. I have no idea what it is (at least I didn’t until I saw the recipe) but I would want to eat it anyways, just because it looks so damn pretty.
    I loooove live theatre. I’m currently lamenting the fact that I haven’t been to Stratford to see a play in like, 6 years. We did a Haunted Halloween week on Friday night which was pretty live-theatre esque, which was pretty fun.

P.S. how was I not following you on Instagram already? silly me.

Meghan @ fitnesscrEATures
    October 21, 2013 at 2:08 pm

Well luckily you put that teaser of a recipe in today’s post or else I surely would have never come back to read your blog ever again. I’ll be hanging around until that gets published and then you can consider us OVER! 🙂 Ha, I kid. Looks like a great weekend – and sometimes the ones that are good for our souls are the BEST ones! And your man is a sweetie for allowing the salmon ordering! HA! That’s how my man has to handle me and he does a great job! <3<3 Enjoy your Monday beautiful face and let us know how the sports doc situation ends up. I'm rooting for you!

Davida @TheHealthyMaven
      October 24, 2013 at 1:14 am

Every comment of yours makes me wish more and more that we lived in the same city! I swear we are the same person!

Nicole @ FruitnFitness
    October 21, 2013 at 2:12 pm

It looks like you had a fantastic weekend! I’m glad your able to enjoy fish at any restaurant you choose.

Emily Kathryn
    October 21, 2013 at 2:20 pm

I went on a cooking spree this weekend and spent lots of time with my husband and dogs. Glad you had a great weekend! Can’t wait to get the recipe for Vegan and GF Pumpkin Chai French Toast!!!!

Kim @ Hungry Healthy Girl
    October 21, 2013 at 3:13 pm

Your little custard cups look so pretty and I’m looking forward to that French Toast recipe! Looks like another fun weekend in the books and here’s to a fabulous week ahead!

FitBritt@MyOwnBalance
    October 21, 2013 at 4:03 pm

I never saw Venus in Fur but I heard so much about it! I am very excited for your upcoming recipe!! 🙂 I am not so much into any new products right now per se but I have gotten into the habit of going to the Farmers Market every week and picking up interesting looking vegetables and then trying to plan my meals around that. A total departure from my normal routine of figuring out what I’m going to make and then buying the ingredients!

Caitlin
    October 21, 2013 at 4:29 pm

those protein balls look tasty for sure! what a nice snack. i’m glad that someone else appreciates the quality of seafood at steak restaurants. i LOVE ordering seafood at steakhouses and rarely get steak. if i do get steak, it’s usually part of a steak/seafood combo. they know how to cook stuff other than meat you know! 😛 i recently saw ‘othello’ and it was my first play in awhile too. really fun to go see theater every now and then!

Dixya
    October 21, 2013 at 5:11 pm

hope the visit with doc goes ok for you 🙂 I would love to try those balls – yum yum yum. my weekend was very very relaxing – i was jet lagged and not ready to start my regular life 🙁

Mary Frances McNellis
    October 21, 2013 at 5:18 pm

I have to find those Kewaza bars – I need a healthy Reeses right now:) My date bars aren’t quite cutting it! And can I just say wow to that chai french toast?! Can’t wait until you post the recipe!

Alisha @ AlishasAppetite
    October 21, 2013 at 6:05 pm

Going to see a play is JUST what my soul needs! And girl, have NO SHAME ordering fish in a steakhouse! I’ve done it plenty of times before and find that they usually cook the fish perfectly! Looking forward to the recipe!

Ja @Ja on the RUN
    October 21, 2013 at 7:57 pm

Looks like a fun weekend!!! And that dessert looks delicious! I love the presentation! 🙂 I could just stare and drool over it all day. LOL! 🙂

Consuelo @ Honey & Figs
    October 21, 2013 at 8:39 pm

That last weekend was my first proper weekend in ages. It felt so good to sleep in instead of goong to work!
    I’m so happy to hear that you had a relaxing weekend. You really deserve it! And I’m eager to read about some great news regarding your leg. I hope you recover soon! xx

Lauren @ Sweat The Sweet Stuff
    October 21, 2013 at 8:45 pm

I’m definitely making that French toast on Friday! I’ll have to check out her blog too! It’s so fun to do meet-ups! I wish I was closer to you so we could have one! 🙂

Davida @TheHealthyMaven
      October 24, 2013 at 12:55 am

Ah I need to get this up by Friday but I’m not sure I’ll have the time! Next Friday hopefully. And yes I completely wish we lived closer so we could meet up…and so I could “borrow” from your amazing wardrobe 🙂

Jillienne @ ChasingRaspberries
    October 21, 2013 at 8:49 pm

Pretty, pretty pleeeaaaasse come to my house to make me those Mocha Bavarian Cream cups. 🙂 They look incredible!

Amy @ Elephant Eats
    October 21, 2013 at 9:28 pm

I’m going to have to try those energy balls! It’s hard to find good energy bars. Mmmmm, pumpkin chai french toast?! Amazing. Can’t wait for the recipe.

Melissa
    October 21, 2013 at 9:58 pm

Your pumpkin chai french toast looks delicious! I can’t wait to see the recipe! I love live theatre, though I don’t see it as often as I like. I miss seeing shows, so maybe that should be a date night idea for my husband and me!

-Melissa @ Fit ‘n’ Well Mommy

jessiebearwhatwillyou
    October 21, 2013 at 10:14 pm

Never heard of those protein balls, but they sound so good!

Sarah @ Feeeding the Brain and Body
    October 21, 2013 at 10:29 pm

Those protein balls sound good, I am definitely going to check them out and keep my eye out for them! I can’t wait for that french toast recipe! It looks great!

Julie
    October 21, 2013 at 10:30 pm

That French toast looks fantastic!

Laura @ Mommy run fast
    October 21, 2013 at 11:00 pm

Wow! That cream looks so delicious. Glad you had such a good weekend!

Tara
    October 21, 2013 at 11:15 pm

Holy shit, you made that?! It looks so impressive.

PS: I notice that you use your recipe ingredients in g and ml, does it confuse you when bloggers use oz and cups?

Davida @TheHealthyMaven
      October 24, 2013 at 1:05 am

I usually use ounces and cups but my baking course makes us do everything in grams and ml. On the bright side i’ve been forced to learn the conversion!

Maria @ Little Miss Cornucopia
    October 22, 2013 at 1:04 am

injuries suck! happy to hear you’re seeing a sports medicine doc though – the best in the biz. hopefully you get some answers.

i love that you love balls just as much as i do 😛 those kewaza balls sound scrumptious..as does your french toast and mocha bavarian cream custard cup..drool! happy day love xo

Pamela @ Brooklyn Farm Girl
    October 22, 2013 at 1:17 am

I am so excited for the Pumpkin Chai French Toast recipe! That sounds amazing! YUM!

October 22, 2013 at 2:00 am

I’ve never heard of those energy balls, but now I’ll be on the lookout for them!

I had to laugh at your comment about eating fish at a steak house — My grandma used to make a similar comment about me being a vegetarian. “How are you going to find a boyfriend if you just eat salads when you go out to dinner?” LOL wellllll I found a great guy that definitely does not mind!

And PS – I don’t even like French toast, but if there’s one French toast recipe that might turn me, it just may be yours based on that yummy looking picture!!

Davida @TheHealthyMaven
      October 24, 2013 at 1:10 am

Oh your grandma! The someone who made that comment may or may not be a relative 😉 And you most definitely did find yourself a great man!

Angie @ A Mother's Pace
    October 22, 2013 at 2:39 am

It looks like you had a fun weekend! I used to go to the theatre more often before kids so it’s been a few years but I do enjoy it. Those protein balls sound amazing. I’ll have to see if I can find them around here!

thehappinessrecipeblog
    October 22, 2013 at 3:44 am

I think I just about died when you said that whipping the cream duals as your arm workout. I literally quoted that line earlier in the week as I was blending brownies using applesauce instead of butter (which made for a dense batter) and said that the recipe secretly wasn’t lower in fat it just burns the fat as you stir.
    As if your humour isn’t enough to keep me reading – Can I come over for breakfast?! Can’t wait for the recipe as usual – Now I just have to find time to make it!
    I think you might have said this already but where is your baking class being held? What a great way to spend some time doing what you love! Happy Monday!

Lauren @ I Had a Big Lunch
    October 22, 2013 at 4:25 am

I’m ALL about ordering fish at steak houses! I love the fact that they give you a huge baked potato too. Fish + potato + ketcup and I’m a happy girl 🙂 I haven’t stumbed upon any new products lately but I’m heading to Trader Joe’s in the next few days so I’m sure I’ll find some there!

Davida @TheHealthyMaven
      October 24, 2013 at 1:12 am

It’s hard NOT to find a new product at TJs! I highly suggest the chocolate covered sea salt almonds 😉

gschroer
    October 22, 2013 at 4:39 am

Those protein balls sound amazing! As does the custard cup. Looks amazing too!

Heather Wilson
    October 22, 2013 at 7:05 pm

Looks like someone had a fabulous weekend!!!! : )

Heather @ Kiss My Broccoli
    October 24, 2013 at 6:52 am

Oh man, those balls sound delicious! Yep…that’s totally what she said! Seriously? Will that EVER get old?! 😉

Gosh, I haven’t been to a play in AGES! The last one I went to was in drama club in HIGH SCHOOL! I’ve always loved going…especially the time we got to see Romeo & Juliet, I just never think about going anymore! Now you’ve got me wanting to check to see what’s playing soon! Hmmm, wonder what the man-friend would think about THAT!