Uncategorized

{MIMM} Weekend Recap 11/15-11/17

November 18, 2013

Are they taking volunteers for cloning research studies? Because I’m willing to donate my body to the cause. Seriously though, I need two of me. I somehow was able to survive this weekend, though I did have a minor breakdown in the grocery store. But we’ll save that for another day. Though I only got through about 20% of the things I’d wanted to, I still managed to work both days, make 3 recipes, do yoga and see friends. All good things, but if I have yet to respond to your text/email/question/comment bare with me, a response will come eventually. Being too busy is a good problem to have, so I’m not going to complain. Instead I’m going to make this post as brief as possible so I can start researching cloning studies.

Finally made it to Grand Electric for dinner with my homegirl and resident fashionista Kelly. It was really nice to put the craziness of life aside, get in some girl talk and eat amazing tacos. Toronto is actually starting to get some decent Mexican food. It’s about time!

Nothing to recap from Saturday. I worked all day and came home and face-planted into bed. To reward myself for my efforts, on Sunday morning I made Peppermint Mocha Waffles. And then I managed to surprise myself by posting them that day. Imagine the things I could do if there were two of me!

peppermint mocha brownies copy

And then I was off to the Gluten-Free Garage to hang out at the Kewaza booth. Things I learned: trade shows are hard work, I’m terrible at cutting samples, and once more I need a clone.

We won’t talk about my meltdown I had in the grocery store because it’s embarrassing and there’s a descent chance it will be up on YouTube anyway. It was bad. But I managed to cope by coming home to this goodness. My parents were in Cleveland this weekend and picked up an excessive amount of food for me at Trader Joe’s. Parents, you’re the best and despite my plans I may never move out…

Some mexican, a massive stack of waffles, hard work and a few meltdowns. All the makings of a Marvelous Monday! Thank you to the wonderful Katie for hosting us.

How do you manage busy weekends? What’s your favourite thing from Trader Joe’s?

almostgettingittogether.com
    November 18, 2013 at 1:10 am

YAY for TJ’s – did they get the enchilada sauce? That is my fave. And their peanut butter & light kettle corn. And their peach salsa. Okay maybe everything ever at TJs. And super food pilaf.

almostgettingittogether.com
    November 18, 2013 at 1:11 am

PS YOU LOOK SO PRETTY IN THAT PHOTO!

Suzanne @ hello, veggy!
    November 18, 2013 at 1:28 am

🙁 Meltdowns are no fun. I was on the verge of a meltdown tonight too; I forgot the giftcard to pay for dinner AT HOME!!! I had to walk all the way home to get them. Let’s just say some serious Ujjayi breath ensued so calm myself down as I tried to prevent a hangry-prevoked lash out on my bro. None of us are immune to occasional meltdowns; we’re only human! That’s what chocolate is for 🙂

PS You are such a FASHIONISTA in that pic! Love it!!

Christie A
    November 18, 2013 at 1:36 am

I love these MIMM posts! You’re parents sound awesome. 🙂

Alexis Kornblum
    November 18, 2013 at 1:45 am

YOU GOT TJ’S!!!!! Your parents are great!

Shawn @ Fruity N Nutty
    November 18, 2013 at 1:49 am

Sometimes I wish I could clone myself too. 😛 It sounds like you already accomplished a lot this weekend, and I can’t even begin to imagine how long your original list was. I love the chili and lime cashews from trader joe’s!!!

Danielle @ LabelsAreForTinCans
    November 18, 2013 at 1:54 am

I just wrote a blog post on staying sane during busy weeks! (I think it’s going up next week)

Sorry to hear you had a melt down – we’ve all been there. I almost had one on the bus yesterday! Haha. Here’s to a more calming week 🙂 (Or finding out how to clone yourself)

November 18, 2013 at 2:27 am

Sounds like you definitely have a lot of marvelous going on right now – and if you could figure out the clone thing you would be able to double it plus help the rest of us out!!!
    Have a great new week!!!

apieceofcait
    November 18, 2013 at 2:47 am

Aw hope your okay!!! <3 we all have them. but none the less looks like a fab weekend.

Oh trader joes, let me count the ways: goat cheese with honey, dark choc. pb cups, pumpkin ice cream, and all the things pumpkin!

Sammy
    November 18, 2013 at 2:54 am

You look adorbs in that pic! And I heart mexican food – so yum! 🙂
    Don’t fret about a meltdown….it happens to the best of us! Seriously!!
    -Sammy

Jan @ Sprouts n Squats
    November 18, 2013 at 3:10 am

Sounds like a very marvellous weekend indeed 🙂 That Mexican food I am drooling at. Those waffles…I want to say nice things, maybe get rid of the peppermint out of them and then we will talk 😉 hehe

We don’t have Trader Joes here but I wish we did.

I usually handle busy weekends by making my week after quiet and as well the weekend after quiet too. I find with doing too much I really crave my down time (translation blogging time!)

Elise @ 9toFit.com
    November 18, 2013 at 3:19 am

If you find a cloning solution please let me know cause I am feeling the same way right now!

November 18, 2013 at 3:51 am

Looks like an action packed weekend but sometimes they are just what we need- especially in times when we complain of a lack of things to do! We too are SLOWLY getting some decent Mexican cuisine here- key word SLOWLY.

Definitely research cloning so you can send one Dav here to Australia so we can scream. and shout. and let it all out. and scream. and shout. and let it all out.

November 18, 2013 at 3:57 am

Girl, you are just TOO pretty! And if you do manage to figure out how to clone yourself, can you send one of your minions over here to my neck of the woods if I can’t make it out east to visit you first? And no… it’s not just so I can convince you/minion to make waffles for me 😛

Tara Condell
    November 18, 2013 at 3:59 am

We all have our days, what would life be without a couple meltdowns, eh?

1. I want you to be cloned so you can live with me and we can finally be BFFs.
    2. I showed everyone your instagram picture of the waffles because they looked THAT good.
    3. Those are my favorite sausages at TJs. 🙂 I always feel like I am getting a bargain because there are 5 sausages instead of 4.

Sarah Pie
    November 18, 2013 at 4:27 am

At that pace it sounds like you could use 5 of you… glad there were some bright spots to counteract the stress and I hope you’re feeling a little more balanced heading into the week 🙂

Brittany
    November 18, 2013 at 4:49 am

THOSE DARK CHOCOLATE ALMONDS ARE THE BEST THING ON THIS EARTH! OMG I have’t had those in like a year. I would really eat the entire container! This event sounds so fun!

Megan (The Lyons Share)
    November 18, 2013 at 4:50 am

So sorry you had a meltdown … it happens to the best of us :(. If you do figure out a cloning option, for-the-love-of-everything-amazing please pass it along!!!! I’d like a clone of me, and one of you, too, while you’re at it! (That’s one way to become an awesome baker + photographer + be able to pull off a super cute red hat!) Hang in there … things will calm down, and you’re doing a great job!

Maria @ Little Miss Cornucopia
    November 18, 2013 at 5:01 am

I really want to hear about your minor breakdown at the grocery store 😛

my little taste tester had a minor breakdown at the grocery store once too..all because i wouldn’t allow him to push the grocery cart 😛 actually, i DID let him push it but when it was my turn, he completely lost it. it’s the only time i’ve ever had to walk out of a store with a screaming child in my arms. he was almost 4 years old at the time. it was so much fun 😉

i’m so happy to hear that you went to yoga..and had some amazing Mexican food too, by the looks of it.

zozo
    November 18, 2013 at 5:14 am

Those tacos look delish! I love Trader Joe’s chili covered dried mangos, their flatbread pizzas, their chips, their cheeses, and their wine!!

atelier zozo

Kathryn Landel
    November 18, 2013 at 5:15 am

Yay for your parents going to Cleveland (where I’m from) and bringing you TJ’s treats! I am not passing any judgment whatsoever about your grocery store meltdown. I’m almost embarassed to admit the amount of times I’ve had a meltdown in the store. Sometimes you’re just in a lousy mood to begin with and all it takes is one little thing to set you off! Hope you have a better week 🙂

Chai a Cup of Life
    November 18, 2013 at 6:07 am

I need a clone too. One to do the boring daily routine things and the other to work, exercise and play. And then the clones can switch..looove Trader Joes. I miss it a lot, I could do my whole grocery shopping there..wish they would open them overseas.

Ksenija @ With An Open Mind
    November 18, 2013 at 8:46 am

Oh girl, I am totally with you on the clone-thing. Trying to balance out work, blog and writing my master thesis (not to talk about family, friends and me-time here) during the last months my head often feels like it’s gonna explode. What I learned that helps best. Just to take some time off. A few hours may already be enough. Cuddle up with the cat and a good book, or watch one of my favorite TV shows or enjoy some baking just for fun (no pictures taken or recipe written out) can help a lot with de-stressing and refocusing.

Amy @ The Little Honey Bee
    November 18, 2013 at 10:32 am

What a TJs haul 🙂 Who needs Buffalo when you got the parents?! Enjoy it!

Chelsea @ chelseashealthykitchen.com
    November 18, 2013 at 12:02 pm

You seriously amaze me! I had like 3x as much free time as you this weekend but got like a quarter as much accomplished lol. Even though it was stressful, it still looks like you had a good time! I really want to check out Grand Electric. And what an awesome TJs haul. 😀 My mom is actually going there next week and I’ve asked her to pick me up coconut chips and that coconut oil spray, but I couldn’t think of anything else. Those dried apples look pretty fantastic though, so I might add those to the list!

Kim @ BusyBod
    November 18, 2013 at 12:04 pm

There could easily be an entire youtube channel dedicated to my embarrassing public meltdowns, maybe a separate channel for each chapter of my life, so no worried about that (although I hope you’re feeling better!). Let me know how your clone research goes, I could use a few myself 🙂

Madison
    November 18, 2013 at 12:26 pm

Such a fun weekend! And parents getting extra groceries for you is the BEST!!! I love it when my mom does that when I go home to visit. AHHHHmazing!

Parita @ myinnershakti
    November 18, 2013 at 1:48 pm

Love those tacos! Believe it or not Miami doesn’t have the best Mexican food scene, which increases my cravings 10 fold! Hopefully I’ll be able to get my fix when I’m home next week. 🙂

And I manage busy weekends by ensuring that I pencil in some down time, even if it’s just an hour! Makes a huge difference!

Davida @TheHealthyMaven
      November 20, 2013 at 9:12 pm

Whaaaat? Really!??! I thought they would have great tacos! Maybe I can convince you to leave the miami heat to come eat tacos with me in Toronto’s freezing cold 😉

californiaendlesssummer.com
    November 18, 2013 at 1:51 pm

Oh man what a weekend indeed! I wholeheartedly believe that waffles are just a notch above the rest, something extra special and I certainly cannot wait to make those! Just as soon as I get my hands on a waffle maker 🙂 Ah, we all have certain meltdowns, so I do understand. I think if I hadn’t moved out to New York, I would have been quite fine at home with my mom supplying endless Trader Joe’s and Sprouts food 😉

Alex @ Kenzie Life
    November 18, 2013 at 1:58 pm

I don’t know if I ever manage busy weekends, I just get through them and pray the next one comes around even faster! My favorite thing from TJs is the edamame hummus! I can (and have) eaten the whole thing in one sitting…

Em Kathryn
    November 18, 2013 at 2:08 pm

I know being crazy busy can definitely be stressful. Try to enjoy it as much as possible. I don’t have a Trader Joes by me, but I’m sure I’d love it!!

Mary Frances McNellis
    November 18, 2013 at 2:35 pm

I wish we had a Trader Joes! I ove being busy, but I hate being overcommitted. I hope there are no more meltdowns this week – those are no fun (I speak from experience;) Oh, and you pull of the beanie, Davida! You are so pretty girl!

Ang @ Nutty for Life
    November 18, 2013 at 5:00 pm

I am in love with TJs. I go through serious withdrawal every time I am at school.. all the time. I really love their coffee. Is that weird? And the almond butter obvs. Oh and their cilantro hummus. I am feeling stretched very thin right now, too, but just stay strong!

Caitlin
    November 18, 2013 at 5:23 pm

that grocery haul looks great! sorry to hear about the meltdown 🙁 my mom has been there before. if you need to vent or talk you know i’m an email away!
    your hat in that trade show pic…too cute.

Gabby @ the veggie nook
    November 18, 2013 at 5:25 pm

I must go to Grand Electric- it looks so tasty! I’m sorry to hear about your meltdown (I am partial to them as well) but I am so glad you had an EPIC Trader Joe’s haul to soothe you. I am wicked jealous of your connections 🙂

Ellie
    November 18, 2013 at 6:37 pm

Oh mannnn TJ’s is so amazing because you end up with gazillion things and only pay for half of the price you EXPECTED at the beginning most of the time. 😀 And I can’t believe you guys don’t have good Mexican food! You MUST come to Cali asap since it’s quickly becoming ethnic cuisine nation. Have a beautiful day and take care girlie!

Davida @TheHealthyMaven
      November 20, 2013 at 9:15 pm

I’m inviting myself to come hang out with you and Selah and eat Mexican food! Cool? Cool.

kellyrunsforfood.com
    November 18, 2013 at 6:45 pm

Yeaaaah for TJ’s!! I love everything about that place! My favorites are their cheese, olive oils, chicken sausage, frozen meals, and their sea salt chocolate-covered almonds (you’ve ruined me). Sounds like you had a great weekend!

Amy
    November 18, 2013 at 6:54 pm

Haha reading about your busy life is fun, because my life has turned into an excess of applications, work, and lying on the couch with a stuffy nose! That’s okay, because I will be headed on down to Louisiana in less than a week for Thanksgiving, and I can.NOT wait!

Shashi Charles
    November 18, 2013 at 6:57 pm

Girl – those peppermint mocha waffles sound and look amazing! I have been trying to make waffles with oats and I haven’t been successful with my quantities as they come out one hot ugly mess!! I cannot wait to give yours a try! Only complaint I have is – are mint chocolate chips ever optional? 🙂

Trader Joe’s rocks! Their Moo Chocolate syrup, their peanut butter, their almond and cashew meals…I don’t think I can narrow my list down to one fav thing!

Nicole @ Quest for Balance
    November 18, 2013 at 7:33 pm

Ah busy weekends. I have a love hate relationship with those. Love jamming my schedule full of great things but too many of them and I go crazy. I need weekends of total rotting and relaxation every once in a while to function. My best coping skill for busy weekends is to wake up early to make sure I can get a few things accomplished first thing (walking the dog, working out, eating a great weekend breakfast) to set myself up for an easy and less stressful day where I can just enjoy the activities I have planned. Nothing worse than when you have the “should do’s” on the back of your mind and can’t enjoy the present moments.

Amy @ Elephant Eats
    November 18, 2013 at 7:35 pm

Awww, we all have our meltdown moments 😉 Looks like you had a wonderful weekend otherwise! And what awesome parents!!!

meredith @ The Cookie ChRUNicles
    November 18, 2013 at 9:04 pm

I just came from TJ and really can’t decide what my favorite thing is! Right now I am buying the Very Cherry Blend, the liquid egg whites and their air popcorn every time I go which is easily 4 times a week lol

Courtney
    November 18, 2013 at 11:11 pm

So many yummy things in this post! Grand Electric looks absolutely delicious and I really wish Kewaza was in the US!

Julie
    November 18, 2013 at 11:28 pm

I absolutely love Trader Joe’s chicken sausage – it’s such a great go to!

Angela @ Happy Fit Mama
    November 19, 2013 at 12:51 am

Ahhhh meltdowns. I’ve had my fair share this week past week. It happens. Now let’s talk about peppermint waffles…..yum!

Britt@MyOwnBalance
    November 19, 2013 at 1:26 am

Holy moly! Those waffles look like a professional magazine photo! So yummy! I totally feel ya on being super busy but you make it look easy! Looks like you had a fun weekend!

Paige Podbelsek
    November 19, 2013 at 1:43 am

Just discovered Trader Joe’s a couple of weeks ago and I can’t stop dreaming about the cookie and chocolate butter/spread thing whatever it was…ate the whole jar in about 4 days!!

Karey @ Nutty About Health
    November 19, 2013 at 2:16 am

Sorry about the meltdown… it happens to us all from time to time. Hang in there & I totally hear ya on having a clone! I think I should sign up too!!
    OMG, your parents rock!! Those TJ’s goodies look great!! 🙂

Heather @ Kiss My Broccoli
    November 19, 2013 at 4:31 am

Oh nice score on the almond butter! My TJ’s has been out for months now due to the shortage! And omg, I’ve resisted those Thai lime & chili cashews SO MANY TIMES!! I know I would demolish the bag in no time flat…so obviously I’m saving my hips from unnecessary expansion! 😉 My favorite thing(s) from TJ’s seem to change with the seasons, but I almost ALWAYS pick up a pack of their extra firm tofu when I’m there…it’s awesome because you don’t even have to press it (or at least I don’t)…also, the samples! Even if I’ve just eaten, I have to have a cup of coffee and whatever they’ve got on the sample table that day! Lol You seriously have me curious about this so-called breakdown…I must know! Chances are it’s not as bad as you think!

November 19, 2013 at 5:30 am

Ummm can we talk about how adorable you look in that picture of the Kewaza booth?!

Oooh tough one, I’m obsessed with TJ’s almond butter with sea salt! Nom non nom.

Lauren Clement
    November 19, 2013 at 8:25 pm

What a great looking weekend!! My mom always stocks me up with TJs stuff, too! It’s the best. 🙂

Robyn Coale
    November 20, 2013 at 3:11 am

I can’t wait to try the waffles! Seriously, TJs salted AB is crack.

November 28, 2013 at 7:37 pm

Your parents were in Cleveland! That’s my hood!!!

I want to know more about the grocery store meltdown. What can I say, I’m a little nuts, although if you do manage to create a cloning machine, let me know because I want to be your first customer. I will pay in granola. Seems like a fair trade off, yes?