random ramblings

{Five on Friday} Random Ramblings #4

December 13, 2013

I thought it was time we lighten things up around here. Plus I’m out of recipes and already broke my big news so my ramblings is what you’re going to get. The main thing I am thinking about these days is 4:30 PM on Friday December 20th when the internal happy dance I’ve been experiencing these past few weeks becomes a real one…straight out of my office. FREEDOM. Until then, here is the non-sense happening in my mind:

1. I played around with the muscle ropes at the gym yesterday. And now I can’t move my arms. I’m typing like a dinosaur right now. How I ever did this rope burn workout is beyond me.

ropes2. Since we’ve already established my impeccable taste in music, I thought I’d share another goodie with you. Something to know about me, I have a playlist for every single month since June 2006. I can basically relive my life through music over the past 7.5 years. We have the John Mayer phase of Summer 2006, the emo phase of Fall 2009 and the makes-my-ears-bleed-now dubstep phase of Spring 2011. Today I’m taking you back to Kanye West phase #1 (phase #2 was this past July). This song never gets old.

3. The other day I crashed so hard. It was inevitable given that I haven’t taken a day off in weeks, but it resulted in me not getting out of bed and instead spending the entire night watching trashy/incredible British reality TV. I used to have an addiction to reality TV but blogging has significantly cut down on this habit. I always make time for two shows though, The Real World and Made in Chelsea. Please don’t judge me. If you’ve never heard of Made in Chelsea, it’s basically “The Hills” of London. But so much better. I discovered that season 6 premiered without me knowing (I was legitimately angry with myself for this) and proceeded to catch up on 8 episodes in one night. It was phenomenal.

made-in-chelsea4. I made this recipe 4 months ago but never posted it because I couldn’t think of a name. I think something along the lines of Sweet Potato and Smoked Salmon Crostinis would be accurate but they’re so much more than that. Besides the fact that I can’t settle on a name, I apparently also forgot to write down the recipe. This is extremely depressing because they were amazing and cause I am way too lazy to try making them again. Instead I’m going to ballpark but take no credit if they taste less than stellar. The recipe involves slicing a sweet potato thinly and baking it in a 425 degree oven for about 25 minutes (flipping halfway through) then topping them with a mixture of 1/2 cup greek yogurt, 1/2 an avocado, 1/2 lemon squeezed and 1 tsp of dried dill. Then the smoked salmon. Good luck!

sweet potato crostini5. I’ll leave you with this. Something I will miss about my job is walking past this everyday. I work at a Children’s Hospital which makes everything about this so wrong. Parents, please dump your sick child in the trash on the way in. WHY?!?!

sick kids

Have you ever heard of Made in Chelsea? Do you ever forget to write down a recipe?

*In case you’re looking for some Healthy Christmas Cookie recipes, check out this awesome list of holiday treats (including my Healthy Peppermint Oreos) here!

Shashi @ http://runninsrilankan.com
    December 13, 2013 at 5:28 am

Those trash cans – ouch?!?!
    Crostinis look amazing!

I used to forget to right down a recipe ALL the time before blogging – still do sometimes now though.
    Have not heard of Made in Chelsea – what channel is it on?
    Happy last day lady!

December 13, 2013 at 5:58 am

Well, at least people are disposing of their SickKids in the proper manner 😯 And it’s funny you mention the recipe note fail because the same thing happened to me yesterday. It was only when I sat down to eat my creation that I realized — hey, this is pretty good. Unfortunately, I had no idea what the heck I put in it, but it didn’t seem as complicated as your crostinis, so I’m seeing a do-over happen.

Sandra from candidadietplan.com
    December 13, 2013 at 6:06 am

Happy Friday Davida!

What a stellar idea to make monthly playlists 🙂

It does transport you back in time. I used to do that in my twenties – so when I’m old I’ll be stuck with my “soul and 80ties hits collection” from that time for reliving the moment haha… Thank god you are capturing the spirit of the moment with your up-to-date playlists. Keep on recording!

Also thanks for mentioning the cookies post.

P.S.: I love the sound of the “Made in Chelsea” series – I’m going to youtube now -watching a trailer 🙂

December 16, 2013 at 1:14 pm

I’m so sorry for introducing you to it! It sucks you in and then there’s no escaping the Caggie-Spencer love-affair!

meredith @ The Cookie ChRUNicles
    December 13, 2013 at 6:29 am

Not only do I hardly follow a recipe, the ones that I do create on my own, I often don’t write down. Or, one better – I refuse to share my most secret baking recipes but decided to write down some of the ingredients in my recipe box without listing the measurements so no one else can make them. Yeah well, I went to bake my brownies which I hadn’t made in a while and even I forgot the measurements so the “recipe” I wrote down was useless.

Christine @ Gotta Eat Green
    December 13, 2013 at 6:58 am

It makes me soo mad when I don’t write down a recipe when I am baking/cooking and then the thing I am making turns out delicious. I’m with you that I am just too lazy to try to do it all over again. You are right.. that Kanye song never gets old!

Elise @ 9toFit.com
    December 13, 2013 at 7:20 am

you know I have actually never tried using ropes. I have been saying I was going to forever now but feel like never got around to it. But if you say it’s a killer wokout it’s def on my to do list!

HAPPY FRIDAY 🙂

Jo @ LIVING MINT GREEN
    December 13, 2013 at 7:44 am

I’ve never used muscle ropes but they look fun! Buy me some for Christmas? 🙂

Made In Chelsea sounds like a show I’d love – I miss Laguna Beach!!! And the Hills. Lauren is so pretty.

December 13, 2013 at 8:05 am

Haha I can define my life my my music phases too. Spice Girls in grade 3, Canadian pop rock/punk bands in grade 8, development of an actual GOOD taste in music in grade 10 (haha), my Elliott Smith phase in grade 12, and my love of folksy music at the moment. Who knows what’s next!

LOL that Sick Kids trash can is hilarious. 😀

December 16, 2013 at 1:16 pm

So many people have commented that they don’t get the garbage can. Likely because who in their right mind names a hospital Sick Kids?!?! Glad I won’t have to explain that to people anymore…

Joanne
    December 13, 2013 at 8:27 am

The trash cans cracked me up!! So weird.

And I love the idea of having a playlist for every month!! I need to start doing that.

kathy @ vodka and soda
    December 13, 2013 at 8:27 am

i love those ropes! you look badass doing that; get it, girl.

you’re like a warlock in the kitchen to have a recipe that you made up and not have a name for it. i can barely even make a recipe let alone make one up. amazing.

and congrats on your impending freedom and new adventures! can’t wait to hear about it.

-kathy
    Vodka and Soda

Leeeeeeee
    December 13, 2013 at 8:34 am

I always forget to post recipes! Slash what would I do without you and Lex who help me name them 😉 😉 You’re killin it on them Muscle Ropes. #getit

Erin @ The Almond Eater
    December 13, 2013 at 8:34 am

I can relate to every single thing in this—first of all still love JM and still love Kanye but definitely don’t still love my emo music ahhah I have seen a few episodes of Made in Chelsea and I was like omggg it’s the Hills. I wish my gym had ropes so I could try them for 3 mins and then be sore hahaa anddddd wtf is that trash can?! Weeeeird.

December 16, 2013 at 1:18 pm

Sometimes I wish Made in Chelsea had subtitles though because I have issues with accents haha. But I am sucked in by pretty people doing cool things. I’m like the advertiser’s dream!

Suzanne @ hello, veggy!
    December 13, 2013 at 8:36 am

someone wasn’t thinking when they designed that garbage can, hahahah!!

Katie @ 24 Carrot Life
    December 13, 2013 at 8:55 am

We’ve made up for my comment about not liking chocolate and mint (in the past) by finding a love for Kanye and reality tv. I LOVE Real World. And my list is long of other shows. You’ve convinced me that I need to watch Made in Chelsea now. Like I have time…

December 16, 2013 at 1:18 pm

another real world fan!!!! Please tell me you watch the challenges too! I hate to admit that I still watch every season but I feel like I have an ally in you haha

Kim @ Hungry Healthy Girl
    December 13, 2013 at 9:10 am

Way to go on the muscle ropes…. I’ve actually never tried those. I’ve totally had the recipe difficulties. It’s especially bad when you do write the recipe down, but then when you go to post it, you can’t find it. 🙁 Have a wonderful weekend!!!!!!!!!

Danielle @ LabelsAreForTinCans
    December 13, 2013 at 9:40 am

I am now going to watch Made in Chelsea. I loved The Hills! And that garbage can is very unfortunate. Glad you now have photo documentation.

Amy @ Elephant Eats
    December 13, 2013 at 9:40 am

Those smoked salmon bites look so tasty! I’m really confused by that garbage can. Why does it say that? I’m apparently missing something.

December 16, 2013 at 1:20 pm

haha no I work at a children’s hospital called “Sick Kids”. Besides the name being the worst ever they also decided it would be a good idea to stamp it on the garbages. So messed up!

December 13, 2013 at 9:46 am

Speaking of Kanye, have you seen the spoof YouTube video of the music video for “Bound”? I just have to say that the original video was so ridiculously stupid, but the spoof was AMAZING.

December 16, 2013 at 1:20 pm

Haven’t seen it! Off to watch it now..and if it’s inappropriate and I get fired it’s all good because I QUIT. booya.

December 13, 2013 at 10:17 am

I constantly forget to write recipes down. True to form, the very best version will be one I didn’t write down and cannot remember exactly. So it goes.

My brain and thoughts have been all over the place this week too. Luckily break time is almost here. T minus 5 work days until Christmas break. 🙂

Happy Friday!

December 13, 2013 at 10:20 am

Well that’s an awkward trash can, isn’t it?
    And I looove battle ropes. My circuit class instructor breaks them out once in a while, and they are definitely an ass-kicker. So fun though.

December 16, 2013 at 1:21 pm

Such an ass-kicker! And by ass I mean arm and it’s legit still difficult to type 5 days later…

Caitlin
    December 13, 2013 at 10:22 am

I totally have been dying to see Made in Chelsea because I am obsessed with The Hills! I need to find the episodes!
    The sweet potato salmon crostini…OMG. AMAZING.
    I am LOLing at the image of you typing like a T-Rex. Those ropes are no joke!

December 16, 2013 at 1:22 pm

projectfreetv friend 🙂 And don’t be mad at me when you’re hooked! 5 days later and I still am typing like a dino ugh

Kaitlin @4loveofcarrots
    December 13, 2013 at 10:24 am

I have never heard of made in Chelsea and sick kids?? why lol

FitBritt@MyOwnBalance
    December 13, 2013 at 10:26 am

I have never heard of Made in Chelsea but I’m obsessed with reality tv. I love/hate the housewives! The fighting, the bickering, the shoes, ahhhhhh….

December 16, 2013 at 1:23 pm

It sucks me in too! Sometimes I just need to numb my brain with other people’s non-issues haha

Christa @ Sit-ups & Sequins
    December 13, 2013 at 10:29 am

My gym recently got some muscle ropes and I’m working up the nerve to bust them out in front of others.

I think we can be friends. I’m so obsessed with reality tv it’s embarrassing, but I embrace it. I can’t get enough Real Housewives, although I’m aware it isn’t making me any smarter. 😉 I feel like I need some Made In Chelsea in my life. I’ve never heard of it!

December 16, 2013 at 1:25 pm

You can do it! You feel pretty badass whipping those things around.

I feel your shame but sometimes I just need to numb my brain with “real” housewives and MTV 😉

Dixya @ Food, Pleasure, and Health
    December 13, 2013 at 10:35 am

are those trash cans for real? still very confused.

those crostinis looks delicious. T-7 days for the freedom, I bet you can already smell it 😛

Tara
    December 13, 2013 at 11:34 am

Ain’t no question if I want it, I need it….
    I love that song too! The whole CD really, his newest one I couldn’t care less about.

5 more hours and you are free at last!

December 16, 2013 at 1:26 pm

I’m kind of obsessed with his new one. Not the best but some songs are amazing. I considered posting Black Skinhead but then I thought people would stop reading my blog eeeeek. Don’t judge me!

Nicole @ Quest for Balance
    December 13, 2013 at 11:59 am

I really wish you hadn’t told me about Made in Chelsea because now I know what my lazy Sunday is going to consist of. I’m a firm believer in having “Sunday Rot Days” which consist of terrible TV and takeout. I’m pretty much never get a chance to stop during the week so unwinding on Sundays helps me keep sane.

And I’m right there with you for forgetting to write down recipes. I do it all the time. Totally frustrating.

Ang @ Nutty for Life
    December 13, 2013 at 12:46 pm

So major confession time… I blog WHILE I watch TV. I’m pretty sure I should be written out of the healthy living world for that. It goes against all of the recommendations about sitting on your butt for hours and taking in technology. Oooooops! What can I say, I have to get in my New Girl and post!

December 16, 2013 at 1:27 pm

girllll I have the attention span of a 3 year old so I blog, watch TV, cook, eat and basically do everything at the same time. It’s hard for me to sit still, so no judgement here! And I’m obsessed with New Girl!

James
    December 13, 2013 at 1:01 pm

those trash cans…omg haha. I ALWAYS forget to write down recipes. Makes me crazy. For some reason I think I’ll just remember them…Yeah. Never.

December 16, 2013 at 1:30 pm

I have way more faith in my memory than I should. This is coming from a girl who forgot to wear a bra to work. Yeah I think I need to start doing more brain games or something because my memory is shot!

Whitney @ To Live & Diet in L.A.
    December 13, 2013 at 1:10 pm

These sweet potato and salmon thingys look amazing!! I’m so making them!

And I can’t believe I’ve never heard of Made in Chelsea before. This looks right up my alley, haha. Tivo, check!

Kristina @ Damn Ten Pounds
    December 13, 2013 at 1:43 pm

I’ve never heard of Made in Chelsea, but if it’s absolute reality tv garbage, then it’s going on my DVR. Obviously.
    And I totally make playlists for certain seasons! When a song comes on, I can pinpoint it to the Summer of 2007, or whenever. I love having memories tied to music.

December 16, 2013 at 1:29 pm

I wish I could DVR it! It only airs in the UK so I have to watch it online…shhh don’t tell.

My memories are always tied to music and food. And then it all gets muddled and I start making associations between allbran bars and jay-z. My brain is so messed up.

Lindsay @ Shiny Love Affair
    December 13, 2013 at 1:58 pm

Ok you’ve convinced me. I really need to get into Made in Chelsea. The Hills and Laguna Beach pretty much consumed my life in university years ago. I wish they were still around so maybe Made in Chelsea can fill in this sad void of mine. PS – Those crostinis look unbelievable. I’m drooling.

December 16, 2013 at 1:31 pm

Besides my G & B marathoning I also marathoned the hills. This is what happens when you have an irrational fear of snow and won’t go outside…Watch Made in Chelsea! But then don’t be mad at me when I get you hooked!

cait @pieceofcait
    December 13, 2013 at 3:44 pm

Happy weekend! I LOLED when you said typing like a dinosaur.. can totally picture it. Haha. I feel like a lot of the times I throw things in a bowl. take pics and forget whatever it was I did.. and the im just gonna stuck with nothing haha.

December 16, 2013 at 1:32 pm

I know that feeling all too well. By the time I’m done photographing them I forget what I put in it. I need to learn to write things down! Oh the woes of being a food blogger haha

Consuelo @ Honey & Figs
    December 13, 2013 at 4:46 pm

Yup, I’d heard about Made In Chelsea, as they’re often on UK magazines and I used to read those while I was in Ireland, but I’ve never watched the actual program!
    Those crostinis look lovely and I’m dying to try them, yum!
    Have a wonderful weekend! x

Paige@FitNotFad
    December 13, 2013 at 4:53 pm

I’ve never heard of that show but I still love The Hills 🙂 That trash can is crazy!

December 13, 2013 at 6:04 pm

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO. Made In Chelsea is comparable to the Kardashians- its so blad and scripted. You need to try ‘The Only Way is Essex’- still crap but better crap. If you want pure trash try Geordie Shore or The Valleys. 😉

That salmon recipe- perfect. I got 1 kg of smoked salmon I’ve been digging through this week!

December 16, 2013 at 1:34 pm

I legit needed subtitles for Geordie Shore because I had no clue what they were saying.

I am well aware that it is total crap but I love it anwyay. My friend was on set at MiC and he said they literally spent 3 hours with binky telling lucy her hair looked good. They just did take after take. Even still I watch it. I have terrible taste but whatevsssss.

Eat yo salmon or lox as my people like to call it!

Sarah @ Making Thyme for Health
    December 13, 2013 at 6:26 pm

That’s hilarious- I used to watch a ton of reality TV but I barely watch any now that I blog. I guess blogging is more productive but I still like to relax occasionally and let my mind turn to mush while I watch trashy TV.

The trash can…wha?! Is that slang for something? I don’t get it.

ps. you so funny. xoxo

December 16, 2013 at 1:41 pm

Blogging totally replaced my previous habit of coming home from work and numbing my brain with trashy TV. I still do it occasionally but not like I used to. Instead I saturate my mind with food blogs which is moderately more productive lol.
      p.s. you’re my fav 🙂

zozo
    December 13, 2013 at 7:04 pm

– lol @ the trash can. Horrible!
    – Haven’t watched Made in Chelsea but my buddy keeps raving about Geordie Shore. I do occasionally pop in with the Kardashians and Housewives but mostly my reality tv consists of Top Chef, Bake-Off, and other cooking shows 😀
    – Awesome idea to use sweet potato slices instead of bread. Looks delicious!
    x atelier zozo

December 13, 2013 at 9:19 pm

I haven’t heard of Made in Chelsea but I better not get sucked in since that would mean even less sleep!!!
    That trash can is crazy!!!
    Kim recently posted…Today Is a Big Big Day!!!

Luv What You Do
    December 13, 2013 at 10:25 pm

That rope picture is bad ass!
    I give you huge props for the gym selfie! I’m so bad at them and always get caught by a cute boy : )
    Luv What You Do recently posted…Five for Friday XIV

December 16, 2013 at 1:42 pm

well my cute boy is my father lol He’s used to taking my gym selfies by now and would have killed me if I’d posted the picture of him on the ropes! One day I will 😉

Jessie
    December 13, 2013 at 11:10 pm

I may have to look to see if iTunes has “made in chelsea” if you claim it’s better than “the hills” 🙂
    Jessie recently posted…WHOLEME Review and Giveaway

Gina @ Health, Love, and Chocolate
    December 14, 2013 at 2:07 am

I need to try muscle ropes! And I need those crostinis or whatever we want to call them. I’m very needy today, apparently. 🙂
    Gina @ Health, Love, and Chocolate recently posted…Five on Friday

Elizabeth
    December 14, 2013 at 4:01 am

I love battle ropes for a killer arm workout!! wash your hair BEFORE the workout though. lol
    Elizabeth recently posted…Five Things Friday.

Carla
    December 14, 2013 at 3:29 pm

What is up with that trash can? That’s just odd.

I’m glad I’m not the only blogger that has little time for TV. It seems like I keep hearing people say something about this show or that and I’m wondering when they might be watching.
    Carla recently posted…12/14: The Skinny

Kierston @candyfit
    December 14, 2013 at 5:47 pm

Never heard of Made in Chelsea. I used to watch the Hills all the time. Now, when I take my down time, I like watching The Walking Dead and Game of Thrones (which is not something I thought I would get into!).

That salmon/sweet potato dish is brilliant. Yum!
    Kierston @candyfit recently posted…#RECIPEFRIDAY: Simple Sweet Potato Curry Potage

Jan @ Sprouts n Squats
    December 14, 2013 at 7:21 pm

That sweet potato recipe, whatever you want to call it sounds like it would be amazing!!!

I used to watch A LOT more tv too but ever since I’ve started blogging I have cut way way back!
    Jan @ Sprouts n Squats recently posted…Breakfast Foods: 12 Days of Allergy Free Christmas Recipes Day 2

December 14, 2013 at 10:53 pm

I had to re-make my energy balls today because I couldn’t remember how I made them the first time… this time actually turned out better so I was grateful.

I don’t get the SickKids reference? It is real?
    Cassie recently posted…Salted Peanut Butter Fudge Energy Bites

December 16, 2013 at 1:45 pm

I’m so happy you remade them because they look sooooooo good.

I work at a children’s hospital called “sick kids” and they decided to stamp all their garbage cans with their name. It was a poor choice for both the name and the trash cans…don’t even get me started!

Shawn @ Fruity 'N' Nutty
    December 14, 2013 at 10:56 pm

Looking super bad ass with those muscle ropes Davida!

I’ve never heard of it before, but made in chelsea sounds pretty interesting. I watched a bit of geordie shore last night which was completely ridiculous. I found it to be even worse than Jersey Shore if that’s even possible. I much prefer competition shows like project runway and masterchef. 🙂

That is a seriously weird trash can. 😛
    Shawn @ Fruity ‘N’ Nutty recently posted…Oops!… I Did It Again

December 16, 2013 at 1:46 pm

love project runway! Top chef is soooo good too. I just wish I had more hours in the day to watch them!

Brittany
    December 15, 2013 at 12:23 am

Sometimes I forget to write recipes down, or even worse I am notorious for eyeballing things until they “work” and then when they turn out amazing I kick myself for not having a proper recipe to share!
    Brittany recently posted…Not How I Used to Be

December 16, 2013 at 1:48 pm

Same here! And then I’m like uhhhh how am I supposed to post this?? It would just be so much more efficient if I didn’t rely on my memory. One day I’ll learn!

Tonya@Healthy, Fit, and Frugal
    December 15, 2013 at 5:13 pm

I’ve never heard of that show but could see myself becoming addicted. I still watch MTV sometimes online at lunch. There is a show called Wait till next year that Im watching because the town it’s filmed in was a couple town over from where grew up. The very “Michigan-ness” of it cracks me up, and makes me feel a little nostalgic too. I hate hate hate rope workouts. They kill!
    Tonya@Healthy, Fit, and Frugal recently posted…1/2 Marathon Training Diaries-Week 7

December 16, 2013 at 1:47 pm

That’s how I feel about degrassi! I never watch it but I definitely used to because it was filmed in Toronto and it was fun to see all the landmarks and their Canadianisms.

{From Left to Write} Downton ABbey Workout - The Healthy Maven
    December 16, 2013 at 11:22 pm

[…] already discussed my affinity for terrible British reality TV but my love of British TV extends beyond the trashy variety. I am a huge fan of Downton Abbey. I […]

Heather @ Kiss My Broccoli
    December 17, 2013 at 6:09 am

Monthly playlists! WHY have I never thought to do that?! I swear I go through so many music phases it’s insane! It would be fun to have something to “remind me of the times”…definitely have to sit down and do this soon!

And seriously, I do that ALL the time with recipes! I always think, oh I’ll remember it all! Ha!
    Heather @ Kiss My Broccoli recently posted…Movie Monday