blogging

A Day In The Life Of A Food Blogger

January 27, 2014

Another great weekend, but just not feeling like recapping it today. You can stalk my Instagram if you’re curious 🙂

I don’t necessarily define myself as a “food blogger” but for convenience sake we’ll use that title for today. Despite recipes being the hardest and most time-consuming posts, they are probably my favourite part of the blog. Workout posts tend to happen last minute because I got a nice sweat sesh on at the gym that I want to share and life reflections sit in my inbox for months until the words come to me. Neither require as much planning or work as recipe posts do. Today I thought it might be fun to show you a behind-the-scenes of what it takes to write a food post.

I’m using yesterday’s recipe for Pesto Egg Salad as my example.

1. Recipes come about in different ways. Sometimes I plan for them and pay a trip to the grocery store before cooking and sometimes they happen on the fly based on what I have on hand (or what I discover I have on hand mid-way through cooking). Today’s recipe required a bit of planning since I don’t tend to keep a dozen eggs on hand at all times. So despite the raging snowstorm outside I hauled my butt to the store.

2. I almost always eat before making a recipe otherwise I’m the hangry devil and no one wants to be around me. Before making this I ate a batch of Apple Chai Pancakes.

3. Then I cooked the recipe. I used the 12 minute rule for the eggs and winged it for the pesto. I was worried I didn’t have enough basil but 1 cup turned out to be just fine. A crisis/second trip to the store was averted. Celery and greek yogurt were thrown in because I know they taste good in my tuna salad. There’s really no method behind the madness…

Making Recipe4. I ate a large bowl of egg salad because I had to test it right? And it was awesome.

5. Then I set up the shoot. Sometimes I shoot with a tripod but I had granola in the oven and didn’t have the time to set it up.

shot 16. I usually try to set up the shot in 3 different ways and then shoot around 30-50 pictures. I’ve learned that with this number 3-4 are bound to turn out well.

shot 27. Then I am done in the kitchen. I put everything away and I hop into bed with a bowl of granola. I need fuel while I edit.

8. In my lair I edit the photos in photoshop and struggle with the font for approximately 6 minutes before I get distracted by Scandal and forget about the recipe entirely for a week. But first I text a picture of the sammie to Lee and Lex…followed by an ugly selfie.

edit 19. I receive a couple of emails asking for the recipe so I figure it’s time to get my act together and post it. I open up photoshop and decide I don’t like the font so I change it.

10. Then I enter the recipe into ReciPage and grab the HTML code before starting the post in WordPress.

recipage

11 .It takes me 5 minutes to write the post. It’s not my most eloquent piece of writing but I like for the pictures to speak for themselves, plus I only have 3 episodes left in Scandal and I NEED to watch them ASAP.

wordpress

12. I schedule the post to publish at 5:00 AM and then wait and see!

13. When I wake up I usually have a few comments which totally brighten my day and remind me why I love this so much.

14. Then I post the recipe to Facebook, schedule a few tweets on HootSuite, post a photo to Instagram and submit to FoodGawker, TasteSpotting and Healthy Aperture before I open up my BlogLovin to see what my favourite blends are up to that day.

15. In an ideal world I would respond to everyone’s comments on the post by the end of the day but that has never happened. I read and appreciate every single one and if I had a clone I would respond to each telling you so!

And that is how it’s done. Here’s a look at the final recipe:

pesto egg saladFor the record I do more than photograph food and watch Scandal all day, but I have to maintain some element of secrecy to make my life seem somewhat alluring…

Bloggers, do your days look similar? What kinds of blogs do you like to read? Food, fashion, fitness, other blog themes that start with f?

Jessie
    January 27, 2014 at 5:22 am

Sounds like a pretty awesome day – especially eating chai pancakes, watching scandal and seeing new comments! Which btw – from the look of your wordpress photo, you have a notification 🙂
    Jessie recently posted…Years Flash By Quickly & a Winner

January 28, 2014 at 7:55 pm

Soooo when you said that I had no clue what you were talking about so I looked at it and discovered that that’s where the comments are…I usually just read them in my email. I am such a tool!

erin @ The Almond Eater
    January 27, 2014 at 5:39 am

Thanks for the behind the scenes…Scandal can totally suck you in so I know what you mean. This salad looks amazing–already showed it to Miguel and he was like MAKE THAT NOW. Only I didn’t have the ingredients and I wasn’t feeling as brave as you haha next weekend though!
    erin @ The Almond Eater recently posted…Vanilla Almond Butter Protein Bites

meredith @ The Cookie ChRUNicles
    January 27, 2014 at 6:04 am

I love to eat, I love to bake and cook but I will never be a true food blogger. I give you a ton of credit because I cannot be bothered and have never been interested in photography. It is so much work but your end result in photos is terrific. Blogging is a lot of work – be it with the photos, the recipe prep and the writing yet it can look so simple and seamless until you break it down for everyone what we put into a post. I don’t even like egg salad yet your pictures make it appetizing!
    meredith @ The Cookie ChRUNicles recently posted…Whole Foods Haul, Oatmeal Tips And Sesame Street

January 28, 2014 at 7:57 pm

Success!!!! Hahaha it’s like a food bloggers dream to make people crave foods they hate lol

Tara | Treble in the Kitchen
    January 27, 2014 at 6:23 am

I love this!!! I also love your little photo box…is it just foam board propped up? I would love to make one, it really makes your pictures look great!
    Tara | Treble in the Kitchen recently posted…Five Things Friday 1.24.2014

Sarah
    January 27, 2014 at 6:32 am

I have to give you guys major credit for all the work that is involved with blogging! But let me just say I truly appreciate all the work you put into it! Thank you so much for allowing us to be apart of your life 🙂

Also, what blender do you use for making your pesto? I see the container in the first picture but am wondering what it is… I’m looking for a new one that is not too large and that looks like it would be just the right size!

January 28, 2014 at 8:10 pm

That is so thoughtful of you Sarah! It’s always nice to feel appreciated 🙂

I use a magic bullet. I swear it’s like 10 years old but it’s still working and totally does the trick!

Taylor @ FoodFaithFitness
    January 27, 2014 at 6:39 am

Sounds like we have some very similar days! I love that you posted a little behind the scenes look into a food blogger day.
    You know what I learned from this? Why haven’t I been editing in bed?! Best. Idea. Ever!
    Taylor @ FoodFaithFitness recently posted…Cranberry Almond Breakfast Cookies {GF, Vegetarian, Naturally Sweetened}

Consuelo @ Honey & Figs
    January 27, 2014 at 6:46 am

LOVED the post.
    I have to eat something before I start cooking or else I’ll be a hangry monster too.
    And I get so distracted as well while I’m editing the pics lol.
    Waking up to new comments is my favorite thing EVER.
    Consuelo @ Honey & Figs recently posted…Healthy “Fried” Chicken Sandwich with Honey-Lemon Coleslaw

Elise @ 9toFit.com
    January 27, 2014 at 6:48 am

My biggest problem is never being able to shot in natural light.. I need to figure something outt
    Elise @ 9toFit.com recently posted…Weight Is Just a Number

January 28, 2014 at 8:13 pm

ah yeahhh it really makes a difference. When I was working at the hospital I would wake up super early to photograph before work. It was nuts!

Joanne
    January 27, 2014 at 7:02 am

Haha yes, this is pretty spot on. Although you didn’t mention much about all the time spent dishwashing! Which, for me, is a lot. 😛
    Joanne recently posted…Moroccan Roasted Vegetable Pilaf with Chickpeas

Madison
    January 27, 2014 at 7:33 am

I love looking into your day! Seems busy and fun and productive–all at the same time. 🙂
    Madison recently posted…Abby’s Inspiring Story

Kim @ Racing Bananas
    January 27, 2014 at 7:41 am

Thanks for sharing the behind the scenes stuff! There is definitely so much work that goes into being a food blogger – you guys work so hard! I love the final font you chose!
    Kim @ Racing Bananas recently posted…MIMM: Golden Doodle Adventures

kathy @ vodka and soda
    January 27, 2014 at 8:22 am

like i said before: your culinary skills never fail to impress me. and now that i know how much effort goes into your creations in the kitchen and during the shoot, i’m even more impressed. i am way too freaking lazy do to anything but rip pictures off google images!!!

-kathy | Vodka and Soda
    kathy @ vodka and soda recently posted…how your first blogger meetup is like a first date

Alex @ therunwithin
    January 27, 2014 at 8:26 am

well one this recipe sounds amazing and two I love hearing your thoughts around planning and creating a food post
    Alex @ therunwithin recently posted…Third Wheeler.

Kelly @ Kelly Runs For Food
    January 27, 2014 at 8:48 am

Your pics are always so pretty! My blogging time is super limited with my schedule (I could work on stuff on the weekends, but I don’t cause I’m lazy). I try to prep up my post and “prettify” my pics the night before, then finish up before leaving for work in the morning. I wish I had more time to dedicate to my blog though!
    Kelly @ Kelly Runs For Food recently posted…Amazing pizza and the return of hot water

Sandra from candidadietplan.com
    January 27, 2014 at 9:04 am

Awesome, thanks for the behind-the scenes look. I love your black presentation plate!!! My set-up is still bucket and spade but I’m eating pancakes and granola too before during and after 😉
    Sandra from candidadietplan.com recently posted…Sandra’s Cheat’s Guide to Fasting (Candida Cleanse 2014)

Ang @ Nutty for Life
    January 27, 2014 at 9:19 am

I guess it makes me feel a little better that to make a great food post you don’t have to plan plan plan all the time and that maybe the best things can happen by accident! Actually… I think that’s a life truth I just put out there. Major Monday realization. PS still waiting for that text 😉
    Ang @ Nutty for Life recently posted…Three Pepper Chicken

January 27, 2014 at 9:43 am

I love your photography set up! It clearly works well, because you get some gorgeous photos. And I’m a little afraid to watch Scandal after hearing about so many people getting borderline obsessed over it…I already watch enough TV as it is!
    Sam @ Better With Sprinkles recently posted…Scenes From the Weekend.

Jess @dearhealthyness
    January 27, 2014 at 9:48 am

The behinds the scene that no-one knows, because we see the beautiful images. A lot of hard work, but a nice and clean result! 😉
    Jess @dearhealthyness recently posted…My First Vegetarian BBQ

Holly @ EatGreatBEGreat
    January 27, 2014 at 9:49 am

Love this behind the scenes look! I was never good at taking pictures, but my friend has recently giving me some pointers, so that’s something I’ve definitely been working on. My biggest issue is having natural light, especially since the days are shorter. I should probably invest in one of those special lamps or make a light box.
    Holly @ EatGreatBEGreat recently posted…Motivation Monday

January 28, 2014 at 8:27 pm

Ah yes natural light really makes a diff! I’ve tried the artificial stuff and it really doesn’t compare. I used to wake up super early before my job to take pics or go crazy on the weekend. Luckily now I work from home so it’s way easier!

January 27, 2014 at 9:50 am

I like a little bit of everything… but scrumptious vegan recipes are the best!
    Cassie recently posted….thinking out loud. #7

Whitney @ To Live & Diet in L.A.
    January 27, 2014 at 9:55 am

Love, love, LOVE this post! Bookmarked!

I love how in depth you went with your whole process. This is extremely helpful for fellow food bloggers looking to improve their site and make it awesome like yours.

I’ve stepped up my game on my camera, tested out PicMonkey & Canva, but I still need to make one of these light box thingys. I’m going to blame Scandal as well for my lack of progress on anything. That, and the new show True Detective w/ Matthew McCoughnahey (sp?).

Btw, that Egg Salad looks ahhhhmazzzzing 🙂
    Whitney @ To Live & Diet in L.A. recently posted…Fun, Frugal Fashion: Camo Leggings

January 28, 2014 at 8:28 pm

No need for the lightbox! Just grab two pieces of poster board from the art store! I used a homemade lightbox for a while but it was a pain in the ass to shoot from above. I’ll do a more in depth photography shoot soon 🙂

Sarah Pie
    January 27, 2014 at 9:56 am

I’d still love you if that was all you did… especially if I got food out of the deal 😉

I love behind the scenes posts because they make me feel a little less crazy knowing other people are doing it too.
    Sarah Pie recently posted…Banana Bread Pancakes

Danielle @LabelsAreForTinCans
    January 27, 2014 at 9:57 am

Very fun to look into the process! As far as writing goes I usually tend to write/blog when I am feeling inspired and do a bunch of posts at once.
    Danielle @LabelsAreForTinCans recently posted…What’s New Lately: Pacific Spirit Park & More

Alex
    January 27, 2014 at 10:09 am

Wow! I had no idea so much work went into photographing food. It’s much appreciated though because the food looks amazing!

Kim @ Hungry Healthy Girl
    January 27, 2014 at 10:28 am

What a great post! You’re so right…. recipe posts are very time-consuming, but they’re my favorites too. Now, I need to hop on over and check out that delicious looking egg salad recipe!
    Kim @ Hungry Healthy Girl recently posted…Carrot Hummus and other Game Day Eats

Shashi @ http://runninsrilankan.com
    January 27, 2014 at 10:56 am

Haha – yes, it is imperative to maintain some level of secrecy to be alluring indeed!

Your photos are awesome – I am impressed you dont use any lighting!
    Shashi @ http://runninsrilankan.com recently posted…Tofu Hash with Sundried Tomatoes

FitBritt@MyOwnBalance
    January 27, 2014 at 11:28 am

I love this post! I like seeing the “behind the scenes!” Your photo shooting ability is amazing. I really appreciate how amazing your photos look! I need to get better at photographing my food. My problem right now is not enough natural light.

As far as blogs go, I read a lot of fitness blogs (obviously) but I also like to look at a few fashion and home blogs. I usually don’t comment on those but they are fun to look at. I also read a lot of food blogs, of course, but mostly ones related to healthy living.

PS. Isn’t Scandal the BEST!?
    FitBritt@MyOwnBalance recently posted…Smell the Eucalyptus in the Blue Mountains

January 28, 2014 at 8:32 pm

SO GOOD! I’m not down with this hiatus. COME BACK SCANDAL!!!

Getting natural light is so hard when you’re working full-time. My new job let’s me work from home which is awesome cause I can shoot in the middle of the day but terrible because I can’t control myself being so close to the kitchen lol

Mary Frances
    January 27, 2014 at 11:48 am

Blogging is so time consuming; I never would’ve guessed it until I joined this crazy group of recipe and camera obsessed bloggers! Since I live with nine other people and have to share the space and computer, I don’t get to spend as much as time as I would like, but on weekends, this post pretty much sums me up (except we’ve got X Games and football on 😉
    Mary Frances recently posted…Mocha Coconut Macaroons

January 28, 2014 at 8:33 pm

I honestly can’t imagine how you do it! I just have my parents but they already make me feel like I’m cramping their style so adding 8 others just wouldn’t happen!

January 27, 2014 at 11:55 am

What a fun post! You are so smart for eating BEFORE making your recipes. I never do that – amateur!

I usually make the recipe, take the pictures, then eat the food. Or make the recipe, eat the food, wake up the next morning and take the pictures. I almost always write the post that goes with it later, most of the time before I edit the pics. That comes last.

My food would taste like crap if I didn’t plan though. Just another reason that you amaze me!
    Amy @ Long Drive Journey recently posted…Weekend Recap + Websites and Apps for Money Management

January 28, 2014 at 8:35 pm

I tend to do most of my food photog on the same day (aka 2 days a week) so I’ll suffer through the first shoot aka the pancakes and then eat them and then make something else.

Winging it will come with time! And a lot of failed recipes. My poor roommates in college were forced to eat those…

Maria @ Little Miss Cornucopia
    January 27, 2014 at 1:15 pm

What a terrific post; so full of great advice and encouragement! I have so much to learn from you! 🙂

Parita @ myinnershakti
    January 27, 2014 at 1:46 pm

I can’t even imagine the amount of patience required to be a food blogger! I know when I post recipes once in a blue moon, it’s really time consuming because you want to make sure get the perfect shot and you definitely want to make sure the recipe is as good as you say it is!! Good for you! Your hard work is paying off. Personally, all of your recipes and pics make me hungry 🙂
    Parita @ myinnershakti recently posted…Week 1 TM Training + Polar FT4

marquis @realrawkitchen
    January 27, 2014 at 2:30 pm

I absolutely love this post. First of all, this recipe looks pretty delicious. Second, it sort of makes me realize that I’m not a crazy person for spending so much time on a recipe post and also validates my decision to only post two recipes a week. I’d much rather go play outside on the weekends than spend the entire day making recipe after recipe!! Also, I’m fairly young in the blogging life and so I’ve developed this method over a series of trial and error so I’m happy to see that I’m naturally making my way to a groove 🙂
    marquis @realrawkitchen recently posted…RECIPE ROUNDUP: january 24, 2014

January 28, 2014 at 8:39 pm

Hehe you are not alone!

I tend to cook a ton of recipes in one day so I can get that stuff out of the way. I would say photographing is my least favourite part but I love cooking and editing. If only the food could magically photograph itself!!!

Jordan Lynn // Life Between Lattes
    January 27, 2014 at 2:46 pm

This is interesting! Since I’m pretty new to the blogging thing, I am trying to find my own schedule/ routine that works best. And I love all blogs, but fashion and food are my fav.
    Jordan Lynn // Life Between Lattes recently posted…Build Your Own Bowl [ Meatless Monday ]

Lucie@FitSwissChick
    January 27, 2014 at 3:06 pm

For me, you are perfect. Seriously. I even would want to make a cooperation blog with you. I would write some workout stuff and random sh*** about our silly selves, and you would be the food pro. And editing together while watching Scandal and SATC and eating baked granola. You’re awesome! And look at your final work result!! PRO-FE-SSIO-NAL!!! (< syllabicated so wrong, it scares me).
    Lucie@FitSwissChick recently posted…Marvelous in my Monday – focus on the big picture

January 28, 2014 at 8:42 pm

I LOVE YOU SO MUCH. Too soon? I hope not. Why didn’t I find your blog sooner? Seriously I love your blog. I think you’re funny and relatable and wish I could be you. Okay so I’ve just declared that I love you and want to be you. ewiuebvewefiwbfve visit Toronto you Swiss beauty you!

I’ll even tell you what happened that night in Berlin when I lost my dignity….

Lucie@FitSwissChick
        January 29, 2014 at 3:26 am

Yes, yes and YES!!! Dito Dito Dito and did I say DITO???? I love you too and I can’t believe I didn’t get your vibes any earlier!!
        Can we meet? Like now?
        I want to spend girlstime for hours and I want to know EVERY SINLGE DETAIL about that friggin’ night in Berlin!! Second time you teased me with it!! Give it to me!! DId you go to KitKat club?? Or even worse – BERGHAIN?? LOOOOOLLLL
        Lucie@FitSwissChick recently posted…WIAW#48 – Quinoa Porridge Recipe (free from everything)

February 3, 2014 at 4:47 pm

I think it was called “The Weekend”??? Another night I have the most horrific memories from a place called Black Market. It haunts my dreams…

Sara @ fitcupcaker
    January 27, 2014 at 3:42 pm

thanks for the insight into your life! I love love love pesto, and this really looks freakin awesome!
    Sara @ fitcupcaker recently posted…What I’ve Been Up To Lately

Katie @ 24 Carrot Life
    January 27, 2014 at 3:45 pm

Love this post. Sounds about right. There is a lot of making things up and flying by the seat of my pants.
    Katie @ 24 Carrot Life recently posted…Blueberry Tea-tox Smoothie

Courtney @RunningforCupcakes
    January 27, 2014 at 3:48 pm

Your photos are beautiful and they make the food look extra tasty! I’m way too lazy to set-up a photo shoot of my food. Mainly because I’m normally starving while I’m making it. I’m lucky if I remember to snap a picture on my phone before eating it all!
    Courtney @RunningforCupcakes recently posted…Best. Sunday. Ever.

Kim @ BusyBod
    January 27, 2014 at 3:51 pm

Why is choosing a font so impossible? It is literally the biggest deterrent to creating graphics for me. I just don’t have that eye for design (if I did, maybe I’d have a design blog!). So instead I spend a disturbing amount of time fretting over it and convincing myself that if I don’t choose the right font I will be the laughing stock of blog world. So what I’m saying is yes, my days look similar. I should actually do a “day in the life” post to go along with my busy theme. Will you be mad if I totally steal the concept from you? Time to round this out by saying I of course read fitness and food blogs plus exactly one fashion blog (Putting Me Together, love her). In conclusion you’re amazing, recipe posts are exhaustingly time consuming and difficult. xo
    Kim @ BusyBod recently posted…My Zumba plan is HERE! {MIMM}

February 3, 2014 at 4:49 pm

<3 ya!!! Glad you appreciate it. You know your life is plush when the hardest thing you have to do with is choosing a font. Aren't we lucky lol

Lauren @ Focused To Be Fit
    January 27, 2014 at 3:57 pm

Oh I love this post and your picture ‘studio’ is awesome. I need to get more serious and get a set up like that. And you’re so smart to fill up before cooking – I always want to eat what I’m cooking/baking. Smart!!
    Lauren @ Focused To Be Fit recently posted…Weekend.

Em @ Love A Latte
    January 27, 2014 at 4:04 pm

Very interesting seeing how the pictures are done! I like reading blogs of all sorts but generally food and fitness. Of course it seems most of the ladies blogs I read are within a five year age rage of me so I tend to relate to much of what they have to say and really love learning from them. I blog much more infrequently these days when a post comes to me. Haven’t really been planning at all – just when I feel like it. I know I’ll get back into a rhythm with it soon though. Happy Monday! 🙂
    Em @ Love A Latte recently posted…How I Save Money on Food

January 27, 2014 at 4:05 pm

We are on the same wavelength buddy- ALWAYS can only recipe tweak and experiment post breakfast or post lunch…otherwise the experimentation becomes an experiment fail…that, or I eat the final product before photographing it!

Your photography station looks amazing- you talented Francine, you! You’ve made me realise I need to take a TONNE of photos instead of 4-5 lol…also photoshop worth it?
    Arman @ thebigmansworld recently posted…MIMM- Settling into Sydney #1

January 28, 2014 at 9:11 pm

Oh god if I only took 3-4 pictures my pictures would SUCK. Honestly my first couple I don’t even get the food in the shot! It’s pure luck but when you take enough the odds are in your favor!

Cindy @ Pick Fresh Foods
    January 27, 2014 at 4:40 pm

I love the behind the scenes look 😀 Pretty much the same routine here. I usually get distracted so everything takes me much longer than needed. I am loving the pesto egg salad. Great idea combining the two!
    Cindy @ Pick Fresh Foods recently posted…Piña Colada Smoothie

January 28, 2014 at 9:17 pm

Thanks Cindy! My mind is always all over the place so it takes me infinitely longer to finish something! If only I could focus…

Alex @ Kenzie Life
    January 27, 2014 at 4:40 pm

When I saw the recipe, it made me REALLY crave egg salad. Sadly, I don’t have any eggs in the house…or really anything else to make the recipe so I desperately need to go grocery shopping. I’m also going to try it with tofu and see how it turns out! Thanks for all your support on my last post, girl. Just wanted to let you know it meant a lot to me! <3
    Alex @ Kenzie Life recently posted…The Ultimate Product Guide for Dry, Winter Skin

Tara
    January 27, 2014 at 4:40 pm

I wish every single food blogger had a mandatory post where they showed how they do their recipes! It is so interesting to see what I’m forgetting or not doing right. Now I want to do one! First things first, is to start cooking again. 🙂

Make everyone do these types of posts please!
    Tara recently posted…Where To Start…

January 28, 2014 at 9:20 pm

Agreed!!! Will you teach me how you take such good shots in restaurants?!? I am in awe at your skill!

Miss Polkadot
    January 27, 2014 at 6:28 pm

It’s a scandal I’ve never heard of Scandal before! But then again the whole German TV program is a scandal in itself. We could really use some of the shows you have over there. Especially since Netflix isn’t available over here.
    Whether you’re calling yourself like that or not: to me you are a food blogger – and a pretty awesome one at that. I’ve booked you for my wedding buffet years in advance after all ;). It was really interesting to get a glimpse into your recipe preparating and post-writing process. I wish I was as organized as you. And kudos to your dedication – I can’t say I’d have dared taking a step out into a snow storm ‘just’ to get food. If I’d been hungry, though …
    Miss Polkadot recently posted…Thoughts on blogger guilt

Amanda
    January 27, 2014 at 7:00 pm

Well, my iPhone camera has officially been shamed.
    Amanda recently posted…It’s (MY) Friiiiiday, Friiiiiiday!

Becky @ Olives n Wine
    January 27, 2014 at 7:10 pm

Wait, you do more than watch TV and eat and take food photography with your days?! I must be doing something wrong 😉 And I can’t believe the patience you must have to take 40-50 photographs per recipe!!! I stop at 10 – I get impatient and say it’s good enough.
    Becky @ Olives n Wine recently posted…Peanut Butter Cup Cake

January 28, 2014 at 9:21 pm

Yeah all of the patience to click a button…Trust me, if it required more effort I wouldn’t do it!

Gina @ Health, Love, and Chocolate
    January 27, 2014 at 7:12 pm

I would say I follow the same process, but I have been seriously slacking on recipe posts lately, not to mentioned I haven’t quite hone my food photography or baking skills AT ALL yet. I love blogg that have an assortment of topics, that way I get a glimpse into their lives instead of all recipes or all fashion, etc.
    Gina @ Health, Love, and Chocolate recently posted…Weekend Snapshots {1/27/14}

January 27, 2014 at 7:20 pm

Love your photoshoot set up! I had no idea the black in your pictures was just from black bristol boards. I need to try that – I love the dramatic look it gives your photos!
    Chelsea @ Chelsea’s Healthy Kitchen recently posted…The power of vulnerability

Deryn @ Running on Real Food
    January 27, 2014 at 8:06 pm

I love this post! I’d also love to say that my recipes are planned, but they’re totally spur of the moment. I keep trying to plan out a content calendar but then never follow it, haha. Oh, blogging. I’ve been really lazy about uploading to recipes sites too, I gotta get on that!

Thanks for this!
    Deryn @ Running on Real Food recently posted…Fluffy Vegan Whole Wheat Pancakes

January 27, 2014 at 8:26 pm

What a fun post!! I’m not gonna lie – that sounded like a pretty full day to me!!! And, some of the techie stuff is way over my head!!
    Kim recently posted…The Law of Diminishing Returns

Nicole @ FruitnFitness
    January 27, 2014 at 8:58 pm

So thats why your pictures always look amazing! I’m really hoping to get some fun photo supplies but it probably won’t happen for awhile. My day typically consists of getting up early to pack lunch and play with Bentley before heading to work for the day, the gym and then home to eat dinner while I work on the next days post.
    Nicole @ FruitnFitness recently posted…MIMM – making the most of the snow

Alison @ Daily Moves and Grooves
    January 27, 2014 at 9:19 pm

Thanks for taking us through your day! I love these kinds of posts because a) I’m nosy, b) daily life is something everyone experiences, so why not talk about it? 🙂
    Alison @ Daily Moves and Grooves recently posted…Jam-Packed Weekend {MIMM #21}

January 28, 2014 at 9:28 pm

Amen sista! I love hearing about people’s day-to-day too. I think it’s normal not nosy 😉 or everyone is just nosy hehe

Brittany
    January 27, 2014 at 9:50 pm

I LOVE seeing other bloggers set ups for their food photos. I legit went to buy paper that looked like wood the other day for a new photo prop, and a big black card stock for the backdrop..similar to what you have here! The outcome looks so sharp and lovely!! This sounds like the PERFECT day!
    Brittany recently posted…Just One Won’t Do…

Katie @ Daily Cup of Kate
    January 27, 2014 at 9:58 pm

I have a long ways to go and so much to learn in the blog and photography world! Your photos and blog are beautiful!
    Katie @ Daily Cup of Kate recently posted…Puppies=Happiness

Paige@FitNotFad
    January 27, 2014 at 10:17 pm

This is fantastic! I wish I had the patience and talent to put into my photography like that…your pictures are always so great looking! Also I like your little setup there! Perfect for food photography 🙂
    Paige@FitNotFad recently posted…Yoga Pose Of The Week: Crow Pose Tutorial

janet @ the taste space
    January 27, 2014 at 11:35 pm

How timely. I just wrote my post for tomorrow and also talk about how long it can take to create a post from start to finish. I try to keep my photos stress free and low-key, though. Mostly to maintain my own sanity.
    janet @ the taste space recently posted…Vegan Cheesy Chickpea Dip with Coconut Bacon

January 28, 2014 at 9:34 pm

Looking forward to reading the post! I feel you on the sanity. There are days when I’ll cook 4 recipes and I go crazy but then once it’s done it’s nice to sit back and leisurely edit and write. It’s definitely the photography part that’s most stressful for me. Nice to know I’m not alone!

Mary @ Fit and Fed
    January 27, 2014 at 11:52 pm

Nice peek behind the scenes, I don’t do some of the things that you do (Instagram, submitting photos to FoodGawker etc.) but I probably should. I had to go back and read that Pesto Egg Salad recipe, looks great!
    Mary @ Fit and Fed recently posted…A New Program for Sectionals

Jan @ Sprouts n Squats
    January 28, 2014 at 12:59 am

Ive definitely thought about upping my game in the food photography stakes but I don’t know if I have the time to do it. I should buy a backboard like you do and more props I already have a few but more would make it look better.

Your photos always turn out awesome! You’ve also made me want to watch more Scandal Ive only seen 5 episodes so far.
    Jan @ Sprouts n Squats recently posted…Blog tips you may not have thought of

January 28, 2014 at 1:14 am

Loved this and found your process interesting to read about! I think I need to get my act together and stop making recipes when I’m starving. But you know what? If I’m not hungry, I usually don’t feel like cooking and being all creative in the kitchen. For this reason I don’t think I’d be a good caterer. I’d be all, “Yeah I had an amazing menu planned, but then I had a big lunch and didn’t feel like making it for you all!” Jusstttt kidding, if I have people to actually cook for, I don’t need to be hungry, but that’s not the case too often!

PS – I die at #8 you hilarious woman you!

January 28, 2014 at 9:37 pm

hhahahahaha remind me never to hire you as my catering sidekick lol

Eating before picture taking is key…although it’s difficult when you’re shooting breakfast. Sometimes I’ll eat two breakfasts cause I had to eat before I shot the next recipe aka Sunday when I had oatmeal and then waffles lol

Christa @ Sit-ups & Sequins
    January 28, 2014 at 9:37 am

First of all, YUM. Second, daaang girl, you’re a busy woman! I’m impressed. Your hard work definitely shows because your photos are always beautiful and the food….well, the food (and my stomach) speaks for itself. 😉
    Christa @ Sit-ups & Sequins recently posted…30 Minute At-Home Workout

January 28, 2014 at 9:39 pm

Christa you are SO sweet! If I’m making your stomach grumble then I know I’m doing something right 😉

Tonya@Healthy, Fit, and Frugal
    January 28, 2014 at 11:20 am

I love your little studio! Now I know why taking pics of my food on my ugly counter with horrible lighting makes even my most delicious food look unappetizing. 🙂
    Tonya@Healthy, Fit, and Frugal recently posted…1/2 Marathon Training Diaries-Week 13

January 28, 2014 at 9:41 pm

It’s all in the lighting which is SO annoying cause who has the time to shoot in the middle of the day?!? Well I suppose I do now that I work from home but trust me, those early morning pre-work photoshoots SUCKED.

Caitlin
    January 28, 2014 at 11:38 am

I love this post and the bits of hilarious you that are sprinkled throughout. My fave? “8. In my lair I edit the photos in photoshop and struggle with the font for approximately 6 minutes before I get distracted by Scandal and forget about the recipe entirely for a week. But first I text a picture of the sammie to Lee and Lex…followed by an ugly selfie.”
    UGLY SELFIES MAKE EVERYTHING ELSE PRETTIER. Done.
    Caitlin recently posted…Trade ‘Em Up Tuesday: Recovery

January 28, 2014 at 9:42 pm

I’m glad at least one person appreciates my humor!

I am the queen of ugly selfies. Even better when I get them in return. Especially when I was in my lab meetings at my old job and I would burst out into laughter and get stared down by my boss…

Alexis @ Hummusapien
    January 28, 2014 at 12:01 pm

I love this!! I just ate lunch but even with my full belly I would SO dive head first into one of these sammies.
    Alexis @ Hummusapien recently posted…Vegan Peppermint Brownie Protein Muffins

Allison @ Life's a Bowl
    January 28, 2014 at 12:54 pm

I’d be more than happy to sit on the sofa all day with a bowl of that egg salad and watch Kerry Washington… I’m growing very impatient during this winter hiatus!
    Allison @ Life’s a Bowl recently posted…Hypersonic Speed Mode

January 28, 2014 at 9:48 pm

ahhhh if only those were my only obligations! My alluring comment was really just referring to my job lol Though it is nice to work from home!

Heather @ Run Like a G!
    January 28, 2014 at 4:01 pm

I loved this post! It was definitely cool to get an “inside look” to your blogging!!!!!
    Heather @ Run Like a G! recently posted…It Will Be This Year

January 29, 2014 at 2:53 pm

THIS POST IS AWESOME!! I need some tips on how to be a real blogger, not a half-assed one. (well a real blogger for a salary by day then like night blogging for me, you know…) I am going to pin this and come back to it. I really appreciate this… and love the glimpse into your life. Can you come here and we can binge watch Scandal and drink red wine + demolish granola, Olivia Pope style? Thanks.
    Cassie recently posted…Two Minute Pumpkin Quinoa Breakfast Muffin

Carly @ Snack Therapy
    February 1, 2014 at 12:10 am

Hahahahaha YES, I love this. The life of a food blogger really is pretty hilarious. The part about responding to blog comments? Yep. I’m horrible at it. I feel awful, but I read every single comment, so I guess that’s something!
    Carly @ Snack Therapy recently posted…January Review: Five Things Friday

Luv What You Do
    February 1, 2014 at 9:44 pm

Wow! I am so impressed. I’m lucky if I get like 5 pictures and try to use the best lighting in my kitchen. I bet if I had more time for set up and photo shoots my pics would turn out better!
    Luv What You Do recently posted…We Need More Snow…

Recipe Re-do: Authentic Greek Moussaka
    February 2, 2014 at 9:09 am

[…] deter me from making it again.  This time I streamlined the process, and I took a cue from Davida and made it AFTER I’d eaten lunch.  That meant less hangry time and more time to take some […]

Heather @ Kiss My Broccoli
    February 3, 2014 at 1:24 am

Ok, so I’m having some MAJOR prop envy right about now…I WANT that slate board!!!

Love this post…my process is pretty similar! Eating beforehand is the KEY…to not gnawing your arm off or passing out mid photo-shoot! Ha!
    Heather @ Kiss My Broccoli recently posted…Januar-ily

February 3, 2014 at 5:02 pm

Bought it in brooklyn and was such a smart purchase mostly cause I don’t want to ruin my $2 poster boards lol

Heather @ Kiss My Broccoli
        February 4, 2014 at 7:01 am

Ahhhh! Guess what, guess what, guess WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT?! I stopped at TJ Maxx last night before work and found a cutting board on the clearance rack for $20…I turned it over and it had a slate board with it!!! 😀 😀 😀

February 5, 2014 at 7:33 pm

I always like to hear the back story and this reminds I still need to make this egg salad. It looks and sounds delicious, even with only one cup of basil.

Proxy-Shadow.Blogspot.Co.Uk
    April 5, 2014 at 6:10 pm

hello great blog!
    I work in SEO marketing, for SEO tools is basic to use L1 quality proxy, otherwise all your job loss quality. I would like to know your personal point of view about security. Personally I use “Proxy shadow” service daily, one of the most professional in the net. I use this service so long. they have a site where you can get free fast proxy for your use, If you wish you can also buy, for a cheap charge, a long fresh proxy list everyday. Is that, for you, a good way to be hide in internet?

funny video
    September 6, 2014 at 1:31 pm

hi,
    glad for being here to read your nice info.
    Browsing on the net My spouse and i meet another blog having a cool videoscribe tutorial.
    It is a kind of whiteboard animation software program. Did you never try it?
    We are planning to understand in the next days and nights.

A “Typical” Day in the Life of a Blogger | Blogelina
    October 31, 2014 at 8:59 am

[…] The Healthy Maven is a food blogger. In this post, she’s sharing what goes into creating a recipe post. Her day flows much differently than the previous bloggers mentioned, just proving that there’s no such thing as a “typical” day in the life. If you’re a food blogger, or a blogger who relies heavily on photography, this post will certainly ring true for you! […]

Helen Fern
    November 5, 2014 at 9:11 am

Thank you for this post! I am a new blogger and am still learning so much. I’m currently on blogspot and trying to find out how to transition to wordpress. I so appreciate the information you just shared!

pratibha
    July 14, 2017 at 8:15 am

exactly…and thanku so much for sharing..it will helpful for food blogger like us
    for more:- http://justinreviews.org/best-food-zone-wild-sugar-patisserie-and-cafe-pune/

Cheska
    July 27, 2017 at 3:40 am

Thank you for sharing recipe for Pesto Egg Salad. You have an awesome post to read on! I want to try your recipes at home. Keep it up! Great job!