random ramblings

Random Ramblings #8

February 7, 2014

Guys this Valentine’s Day Bake-Off is going to be the death of me! Death by healthy sweets. Is that a thing?

I’ve quickly discovered that planning a weeks worth of sweet treats maybe wasn’t the brightest idea when I have an entire apartment to furnish. The TWO recipe fails I had didn’t go over so well especially when pressed for time. Yes I cried…then ate half the pie for breakfast…then texted spoons and she made me feel better!

I thought twice about posting today but my mind is swirling with ramblings and I have no co-workers to share them with so you’re going to get them instead. Also the Snuggie I am currently wearing is just way too conducive to post writing. Let’s get on with it…

1. If the above wasn’t reminder enough, SUNDAY is the start of The Great Valentine’s Day Healthy Bake-Off! You’ll have any day from Sunday to the following Friday (Valentine’s Day) to post your healthified sweet treat! Paleo, Vegan, Gluten-Free, Gluten-filled, high-fat, low-calorie, all the cookies, whatever your definition of healthy, your treat can be included. And if you’re Heather, pancakes count #peerpressure.

On Friday February 14th I will open up a link-up on my blog where you can share your baked good, and it will stay open through the weekend so you can visit each other’s and give everyone a virtual high-five! I’m excited to see what you come up with!

the great valentines day bake-off

2. I’m finally obliging to your requests for pictures of my new place. We’re done furnishing…calling it cluttered chic.

apartment3. The other day I was struggling to focus so C stepped in to motivate me. He gave me his twins hat and put on old-school destiny’s child…within 5 minutes I was up twerking and it took me 5 hours to write a single post. Thank you Queen B.

post-writing4. Speaking of fantastic music, Natasha was the only person who agreed that I have the best taste in music (not to mention a whole lot of modesty) and in return she graced me with some seriously epic tunes. I actually think she has better taste than I do. Exhibit a:

5. Something to know about me is that I 100% believe in horoscopes. I read my Susan Miller horoscope every single month and she is impressively accurate at predicting my life. This month I am supposed to get a huge sum of money on Valentine’s Day and a marriage proposal on February 28th. I read it to C and he told me to stop cosmic pressuring him…I told him I was more interested in the money.

That’s all for today folks! Feel free to email me if you have any questions about the Valentine’s Day Healthy Bake-Off  (or just want to say hi!) at TheHealthyMaven@gmail.com.

Cannot wait to see what you come up with!

Do you believe in horoscopes? Who wants to come take some baked goods off my hands?

Louise
    February 7, 2014 at 5:38 am

A weeks worth of healthy treats? Heaven! Haha. Can’t wait to check out everyone’s links 🙂

February 7, 2014 at 5:41 am

I have actually been spruking your bake off for V day…well just to shashi because she posted a recipe but still 😉 I’ll have something up and running just for you. See what I do for you? You need to come make me breakfast cookies.

Queen B is a subtle form of procrastination. Fail, Queen B.
    Arman @ thebigmansworld recently posted…Trending- LA VERSUS Sydney- February Edition

February 9, 2014 at 8:57 am

Thanks for whoring out THM. I’ll pay for your work in baked goods. If you ever send me your address…jeeeeze it’s like you think I’m stalking you or something!

Juli @ 1000lovelythings
    February 7, 2014 at 5:58 am

I laughed out loud at the last part on horoscopes. I do believe in them! But after all I am an opportunist and do believe only in the good parts 😉 Of course I checked out my Susam Miller horoscope and I decided to really believe her as she told me 1. People are lucky to have me in their life (of course they are) 2. I will rock a project and be proud of it on the 14th (I am working on that part). Does that mean I can stop working so hard on it now??? So fingers crossed 😀
    I hope the furnishing goes well.
    I am looking forward to the bakery link-up. Maybe I am healthy-fying (that isn’t a word, is it?) a recipe too 🙂
    Have a lovely weekend!
    Juli @ 1000lovelythings recently posted…New Body Makeover Challenge – Week 5 and I struggle

February 9, 2014 at 8:58 am

hahahahahahah Juli you are awesome! Duh they’re lucky to have you in their lives and totally crossing my fingers for you for the 14th. That’s the day I’m supposed to get my huge sum of money so cross your fingers in return!

Natasha
    February 7, 2014 at 6:24 am

Hahah baking meltdowns are really a serious struggle!!! Sounds like you have a lot on your plate (lol puns), but I’m sure everything will work out!

Funk Yeah 🙂 …thanks for the music shoutout! I’m still diggin The Twelves and your playlist on 8track!

Have a super fantastic weekend!!!
    Natasha recently posted…WIAW: Survey and [TOO MANY] Carbs

Meredith @ The Cookie ChRUNicles
    February 7, 2014 at 6:26 am

I totally believe in horoscopes! OMG totally. I read mine every day and most of the time, it is pretty accurate. I believe in psychics too but that’s a story for another day lol.
    Meredith @ The Cookie ChRUNicles recently posted…I Am A Joy To Dine Out With…

kathy@vodka and soda
    February 7, 2014 at 6:32 am

what?! you have an abundance of sweets/baked goods and you haven’t texted me?! what kind of friend are you?!?!?!?

-kathy
    Vodka and Soda
    kathy@vodka and soda recently posted…how fitness jesus turns you into an annoying wangface

February 9, 2014 at 9:01 am

a shitty one. Be happy with yo ballz OKAY?! But for real it’s out of control in my house. Please make an exception to your dessert policy and come over.

February 7, 2014 at 6:59 am

Agh I meant to some recipe testing for the bake off last night but my plans were foiled when I realized one of my ingredients had gone bad. I guess that’s what happens when it’s been sitting in your cupboard untouched for like 3 years? Oops.

I’ll take some baked goods off your hands! Do you deliver to Burlington? 😉
    Chelsea @ Chelsea’s Healthy Kitchen recently posted…Vegan tempeh chili

Kelly @ Kelly Runs for Food
    February 7, 2014 at 7:04 am

Healthy sweets- I’m on it! Actually, I’m not on it at all, but I bet I can think of something. I haven’t read my horoscope in forever, but if they’re telling me I might get rich then I should probably become a believer!
    Kelly @ Kelly Runs for Food recently posted…Cheers to the weekend!

Joanne
    February 7, 2014 at 7:16 am

Cluttered chic is how we went with my apartment! 😛 I approve.

And UGH to baking failures. Trust me…I’ve been there. They are not fun.
    Joanne recently posted…Red Velvet Hot Fudge Sundaes

Madison
    February 7, 2014 at 7:20 am

I’m not sure if I believe in horoscopes–but I think they are FUN to read! 🙂

And swimming in healthy baked goods? HECK YES!
    Madison recently posted…My Favorite Quotes

Kim @ BusyBod
    February 7, 2014 at 7:32 am

“More interested in the money,” hilarious! I don’t believe in daily horoscopes but the superstitious part of me believes in the overarching personality analysis. Maybe that’s because I’m a TOTAL Gemini.
    Kim @ BusyBod recently posted…How K & J do Valentine’s day

Tina Muir
    February 7, 2014 at 7:33 am

I can only imagine how stressed it is trying to make all those delicious goodies! I know what you mean about recipe fails, I have cried a few times. It is SO frustrating when they dont work, and you have a wasted effort (as well as wasted ingredients), and are left without anything to show for it! I am sorry you had to go through that, but hopefully it will give you a laugh someday when you can look back on it!

I have featured you on my valentines post today, if you wanna go see…..I have a linkup to Lexis blog where you are part of the crew! I will link mine up to your post on Sunday! Hope all goes well this weekend 🙂 I will be running 18 miles on sunday….so will come back to look at lots of yummy recipes!
    Tina Muir recently posted…Valentines Day Special: White Chocolate Cranberry Almond Butter Cookies

Suzanne @ hello, veggy!
    February 7, 2014 at 8:34 am

I would just like to point out that I am taking the afternoon off my placement today in order to photograph my healthy vegan treat in daylight! #priorities #badstudent #bloggertothecore #toomanyhashtags
    Suzanne @ hello, veggy! recently posted…Healthy Vegan Fridays #4: Hemp-tastic Giveaway!

Erin @ The Almond Eater
    February 7, 2014 at 9:04 am

I’m all about cluttered chic. We may or may not have a LOT of cluttered chic and we’ve been moved in since August. Pumped for the bake-off! So many nom treats will be shared.
    Erin @ The Almond Eater recently posted…Lemon Basil Roasted Chickpeas

Florence
    February 7, 2014 at 9:29 am

Ah that sounds a little stressful! Take care of yourself. You come first, delicious baked goods come second 🙂
    Florence recently posted…6 Things About Today (not for those who don’t enjoy life’s banalities)

February 9, 2014 at 9:09 am

hahaha it is a bit stressful but I can take out my stresses by eating delicious baked goods 🙂

Ang @ Nutty for Life
    February 7, 2014 at 9:59 am

I believe in horoscopes too!!! Free People gives really accurate weekly ones. Scary accurate. That’s why I want the pisces symbol tattoo… although I am now second guessing that because it’s more expensive than I’d anticipated. Anyway I need to start baking for this Valentines challenge. It’s gonna take a few tries because lord knows I am more likely to fail at first than succeed with healthy baking.
    Ang @ Nutty for Life recently posted…Friday Favorites

February 9, 2014 at 9:10 am

omg I can’t believe you just gave me another site to check my horoscope on…there goes my productivity!

Just sub in applesauce for butter in any recipe and call it a day! I believe in you 😉

February 7, 2014 at 10:18 am

So now I have to go see what my horoscope says…basically, it’s telling me not to move this month, sign important papers in the first 5 days of February (which I don’t think I did…), Valentine’s Day will be awesome, and towards the end of the month I’ll be particularly charismatic and charming. I’m ok with all of this.
    Sam @ Better With Sprinkles recently posted…Five Things Friday 02/07/14.

February 7, 2014 at 10:52 am

Waahhh! I should have waited to post my chocolate muffins until next week so that I could have put them in your V-Day bake off. Oh well… that just means I’ll have to do some more baking 😀
    Amanda @ .running with spoons. recently posted…. flourless double chocolate chip muffins .

February 9, 2014 at 9:13 am

You could legit roast kabocha and call it a vday treat and link up…I’m not that stringent on the rules 😉

Kim @ Hungry Healthy Girl
    February 7, 2014 at 10:56 am

Hmmmm….. I need to think up a Valentine’s treat to link up. I’m going to try to come up with something this weekend. 😉
    Kim @ Hungry Healthy Girl recently posted…Chicken and Black Bean Enchiladas Verde

February 9, 2014 at 9:14 am

Cannot wait to see what you come up with Kim!!! I bet it’s gonna be amazing! All of your dishes are after all…

Kate @ Coffee with Kate
    February 7, 2014 at 10:56 am

Can’t wait for your linkup and to see what treats you’re going to share next week! I just baked black bean peppermint brownies for V-day and delivered to my bf today … he was very happy. “I can’t even taste the beans!” hahaha and that’s the point, my dear.
    Kate @ Coffee with Kate recently posted…black bean peppermint fudge brownie bites

February 9, 2014 at 9:15 am

haha I’m all about beans in baked goods! I made chickpea cookie dough truffles the other day and I was a little too happy to trick people into eating them 😉

a
    February 7, 2014 at 11:25 am

I don’t believe in horoscopes but I do believe in free-style dancing to Destiny’s Child.

Ashley
    February 7, 2014 at 11:28 am

The Valentine’s Day Bake Off sounds like so much fun! I wish that I wasn’t living in a hotel right now so that I could participate! Have a great weekend!

Ashley, Married to the Game
    Ashley recently posted…I Like to Move It, Move It

February 9, 2014 at 9:17 am

Aw that’s too bad! you’re welcome to come take some baked goods off my hands instead 🙂

Carly @ Snack Therapy
    February 7, 2014 at 12:54 pm

Wow, congrats on the engagement and the money (I mean, chances are they’ll both happen right?)! Hahahaha.

Hollllla to the Queen for her sassy, twerkable music. Love ittttt.
    Carly @ Snack Therapy recently posted…One of Those Days

February 9, 2014 at 9:18 am

I’d freak out over the engagement (not in a good way) unless he gave me a ring pop…right now we need to save up for a couch and if he bought a ring I’d probably have to kick his ass…although if I get the money then I could buy the couch…my brain hurts.

Leslee @ Her Happy Balance
    February 7, 2014 at 1:05 pm

So here’s my thing with horoscopes…if I read it and it’s bad, then I refuse to believe it. That being said, I’m all for reading tea leaves, and I also can read tarot cards. It’s fun and every once in a while I’ll bust them out to see whats happening. I’m not superstitious but I guess it falls user the realm of being spiritual? Idk. It’s fun. I’d be all about the money right now too. I’ll take marriage a couple years down the road.
    Leslee @ Her Happy Balance recently posted…Friday Favorites – All About Recovery

February 9, 2014 at 9:26 am

oooooh I’ve always wanted to have my tea leaves red!!! I’ve seen a psychic a few times and she was right on the money. I eat this stuff up, clearly 😉

Tina @ Tina's Chic Corner
    February 7, 2014 at 1:22 pm

I’ve been thinking about your Valentine bake off…no, seriously. Problem I have is that I start off with good intentions to bake something healthy and then somehow it ends up… not so much healthy. I’ve got my thinking cap on so we’ll see if I can come up with something, but if not, I completely support you and look forward to the series. 🙂
    Love horoscopes but I don’t read them as often as I used to.
    Cluttered chic…lol. I’m a neat freak and I enjoy cleaning. Don’t judge me. 😉 I’d happily come over to help organize.
    Wait, free baked goodies too?! When should I stop by? 😉
    Tina @ Tina’s Chic Corner recently posted…Black And White Cookies

February 9, 2014 at 9:27 am

Well lucky for you my rules are not so strict so if it’s healthy for you then it counts as healthy! For the record those black and white cookies are still on my mind 😉

cait @pieceofcait
    February 7, 2014 at 1:58 pm

ugh baking meltdowns are so annoying! and deff cry worthy. If I get my power back I hope I can join in on this great bake off <3 happy weekend love.
    cait @pieceofcait recently posted…Day 3

February 7, 2014 at 2:01 pm

A week’s worth of healthy sweets sounds like too much work to me. God bless you and your youthful enthusiasm. Hopefully it’ll pay off with a cash prize at the end, just as predicated I might add.

I’m liking the tune.

Amanda @runtothefinish
    February 7, 2014 at 2:18 pm

cluttered chic, HAHAAA I love it!!!! Ok I can’t wait to see these links!! I am finally realizing I need to do a little more baking to help cut down on my desire for less healthy sweets
    Amanda @runtothefinish recently posted…Wallflower Friday: Time to Delurk

FitBritt@MyOwnBalance
    February 7, 2014 at 3:29 pm

Haha. I love your response: I’m way more interested in the money! Excited for the bake off but very very very nervous. I may have chosen something ambitious.
    FitBritt@MyOwnBalance recently posted…Friday’s Food & Fitness: On the Table

Kristina @ Damn Ten Pounds
    February 7, 2014 at 3:45 pm

I only believe my horoscope if it’s good. If it’s bad, then its a stupid superstition. But Gemini’s are two sided like that, so maybe that’s all the cosmic proof I need 🙂
    Kristina @ Damn Ten Pounds recently posted…Friday Five – Sisterhood of the traveling socks

Melissa @ Nourish By Melissa
    February 7, 2014 at 3:48 pm

Can’t wait to check out everyone’s recipes on Valentines day 🙂 I have a feeling the next week will be spent baking up a storm of healthy vday bake off treats!
    Melissa @ Nourish By Melissa recently posted…Peanut Butter Covered Popcorn (Vegan)

Lindsay @ Shiny Love Affair
    February 7, 2014 at 3:58 pm

I’m currently accepting donations in the form of baked goods! Haha. I’m so excited for this bake-off. I’m trying to think of something fun I can contribute.
    Lindsay @ Shiny Love Affair recently posted…Make-Up Tutorial: How to Add Life to Your Skin in the Winter

Tiff @ Love Sweat & Beers
    February 7, 2014 at 4:07 pm

Ugh – where have I been??? Love the idea of a bake-off!! Oh, and don’t worry pretty little lady – any recipe flops can be sent my way. I’m sure they’re still Tiff Approved. 😉
    Tiff @ Love Sweat & Beers recently posted…Fit Friday

Taryn
    February 7, 2014 at 4:45 pm

I read my horoscope every single morning and it seriously sets the tone for my day. I’ve never heard of Susan Miller before, but I’m heading over there to check my monthly horoscope too.. thanks!
    Taryn recently posted…Friday Five

February 7, 2014 at 5:52 pm

I will gladly take some baked goods (since I don’t bake!!) – my boys (and husband) would be so happy!!!!
    Hope the money pans out – I might start checking my horoscope if it does!!

February 7, 2014 at 6:54 pm

Oooh lala…. let’s see if I can come up with something for this V-Day bake off you speak of! Looking forward to seeing the healthy delicious creations that everyone makes.
    Nicole @ Foodie Loves Fitness recently posted…Avocado Walnut Pesto Tofu Salad

February 9, 2014 at 9:37 am

Well if your tweet is any indication I think you came up with something good!!!! Cant wait 🙂 🙂 🙂

February 7, 2014 at 8:43 pm

OMG CARLY AND I ARE OBSESSED WITH HOROSCOPES. We’re both Pisces (because we’re a week… and two years apart haha) and we constantly e-mail each other our horoscopes and talk about what types of boys were are compatible with. One of my other friends texts me her horoscope almost everyday because it’s so spot on.
    Cassie recently posted…Getting It Together Thursdays: JOMO [Joy of Missing Out]

February 9, 2014 at 9:39 am

I am not at all surprised by this! You MUST check out Susan Miller! I’m legit obsessed. I almost paid $300 to hear her talk in NYC!

Maria @ Little Miss Cornucopia
    February 7, 2014 at 11:05 pm

you’re so cute, sitting there on the floor, baseball cap on..typing away 😛 your new place looks great btw! 🙂

so excited to see what you (and everyone else) comes up with for your valentine’s day bake off! i’d love to contribute something..but we’ll see..

i haven’t had the opportunity to tell you this yet, but i ALSO think you have great taste in music! i actually want to thank you for introducing me to some new-to-me bands. i’ve downloaded sooooo many songs that you listed on your playlists..lorde, haim, ms mr, chvrches, and so many more. so please keep ’em coming K 🙂

February 9, 2014 at 9:35 am

This makes me so happy!!! I honestly could care less if no one makes my recipes but I really do hope people actually listen to the music I post so I SO appreciate hearing this! You’re the best 🙂

Lucie@FitSwissChick
    February 8, 2014 at 5:23 am

Awwww I so feel you on the moving nightmare!! I moved about 11 tims so far amd it was a disaster, every single time. Feel free to give me a shout if you need to rant babe!!
    I’m trying to fit in a baking session today, so i can link up – I will be on my way to Spain on valentines day!
    Have you listened to Social Siberia yet? I highly recommend it.
    Lucie@FitSwissChick recently posted…Friday Favorites – ready for some sleep……

February 9, 2014 at 9:34 am

On it once I’m home from work today! Tweet me if I haven’t tweeted you about how amazing it is cause that means my scatterbrain forgot…if the state of my apartment is any indication, my brain gets scattered quite a bit 😉

Mary Frances
    February 8, 2014 at 10:46 am

Cluttered chic – I love it! I’m going to steal that for future use. And you are so cute in your baseball cap 🙂 haha, if you get the money, I vote you take us all on a grocery store spending spree!

KAT
    February 8, 2014 at 10:53 am

BAHAHAHA is it bad that the only thing I really remember about this post is the horoscope and how you’d prefer the money to the proposal? lol That’s just soo….me 🙂
    And my house looked like that for MONTHS after moving in. We were married for a year and I stilt had several boxes stuffed away that I hadn’t unpacked. Don’t worry, you’ll get it all sorted out soon enough 🙂
    Cant wait for your link-up!
    KAT recently posted…Goal Review: Month One

Lauren @ ihadabiglunch
    February 8, 2014 at 4:00 pm

Umm yeah I guess If you beg I’d take some baked goods off your hands 🙂 I don’t personally read my horoscope but I’d never call BS on people who believe in it. When I talk to my friends about how I’d love to try acupuncture or scraping or other weird stuff like that they look at me like I’m crazy, so who am I to judge! haha
    Lauren @ ihadabiglunch recently posted…Whole Wheat Banana Pancakes (recipe)

February 9, 2014 at 9:32 am

Well I’m also into acupuncture…and psychics….still haven’t jumped on the crystal train if that’s any consolation!

Gabby @ the veggie nook
    February 8, 2014 at 10:10 pm

I thoroughly enjoyed reading that horoscope as I am a virgo as well! While I certainly won’t be getting a proposal, the appearance of money would be greatly appreciated 😉
    Gabby @ the veggie nook recently posted…valentine’s double chocolate and goji granola

February 9, 2014 at 9:31 am

I am SUCH a virgo! Like it’s kind of scary. Are you?!? I wish I could just shut my analytical brain down on some days!

Melanie @ HappyBeingHealthy
    February 8, 2014 at 11:07 pm

I love your idea of a Bake Off and can’t wait to see all the yummy treats! YUM!
    Melanie @ HappyBeingHealthy recently posted…The Monuments Men and the BEST Soft Sugar Cookies!

Heather @ Run Like a G!
    February 9, 2014 at 4:07 pm

haha! I loved the part about the horoscope and how you told him you wanted the money! lol! I do believe in horoscopes!
    I love some Destiny’s Child – whoot whoot. The song I am most addicted to right now is “Replay” by Zendaya. It is seriously on replay in my house 🙂
    Heather @ Run Like a G! recently posted…Guest Post {1}

February 10, 2014 at 3:25 pm

Fun! I’m excited about this bake off!
    Cassie recently posted…friday favorites #12

Rachel G
    February 10, 2014 at 7:48 pm

I’ve cried at failed recipes before, too! It’s heartbreaking.
    Rachel G recently posted…Blog Post Suggestions

Lemon Swiss Roll with Coconut Cream Frosting - The Healthy Maven
    February 11, 2014 at 5:01 am

[…] swirling through my head, I actually struggled a lot coming up with recipes for this week’s bake-off. I think I was being too narrow-minded, because when I think about Valentine’s Day all I see […]

Three Tip Tuesday - Being A Friend - The Cookie ChRUNicles
    February 11, 2014 at 5:52 am

[…] Speaking of chocolate, Valentine’s Day is fast approaching and so is The Healthy Maven’s Great Valentine Day Bake-Off. […]

Anna
    February 11, 2014 at 12:48 pm

I didn’t REALLY believe in horoscopes until I clicked on your link! But I only want to believe in the really good stuff 🙂 Mine is all about money too, but not in the awesome way yours is. Mine is about loans and taxes, which are of course all wonderful things! (not)
    Anna recently posted…Missing the Weekend

Consuelo @ Honey & Figs
    February 12, 2014 at 4:25 pm

I do want to take all those baked goods!!
    Consuelo @ Honey & Figs recently posted…Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Pancakes

Chocolate Plantain Pancake |
    February 13, 2014 at 5:04 am

[…] I’m probably cheating by planning to submit this to Davida’s Valentine’s Day Bake Off. But, she said that Heather could submit pancakes, so I’m just going to pretend that […]

Valentine’s Day Bake Off – Light Chufa Dough Bites | Fit Swiss Chick
    February 13, 2014 at 11:29 pm

[…] now on to important things – sweets. You may have already read about Davida’s Valentines Bake Off which I assume will be HUGE – and I am happy to be part of […]

Double Chocolate Cherry Cookies - The Healthy Maven
    April 13, 2014 at 3:02 pm

[…] so begins day 1 of the The Great Valentine’s Day Bake-Off! I figured I would start it off with chocolate and end with chocolate. Although the finale recipe is […]

dana wills
    April 25, 2016 at 7:07 am

Hey i am so excited for this bake-off. I am trying to think of something fun I can contribute.. I also follow Susan Miller horoscope every single month. She works really very awesome..I love the way she represent her skills..