gluten-free sides vegan

Pesto Smashed Potatoes

December 16, 2014

If I’ve come to learn anything about the blog world it’s that we LOVE seeing what each other eats. Food bloggers can post all the recipes in the world, but we still wonder what a typical day of meals looks like for them. I know curiosity certainly gets the best of me and I also get my fair share of “what  do you actually eat” questions.

Grab your potato mashers cause these pesto smashed potatoes will have you craving those spuds all day long. Your new favorite potato recipe!I actually eat everything I post but when you consider the fact that I post 3 recipes a week and there are far more than 3 meals a week, I obviously fill in quite a few holes in between.

Today I am filling you in on what a typical dinner would look like for me and spoiler alert…it’s not as fancy as you might think.

Now I know fancy can be interpreted in many different ways, but for me an “unfancy” dinner includes the following: wholesome, made from real food, includes a protein, a carb and a vegetable and doesn’t require an entire day to cook (unless it’s in the slow cooker). My simple dinners don’t mean I’m going for the least amount of time or ingredients. It must be flavourful and while I wish I could pull off a flavourful dish in 5 minutes, this just isn’t reality.

Grab your potato mashers cause these pesto smashed potatoes will have you craving those spuds all day long. Your new favorite potato recipe!If I have it my way, I would choose potatoes as my carb every single night of the week. I’m a sucker for a good roasted potato. Crispy on the outside, soft on the inside, budget friendly and not terribly time-intensive. You can dress em’ up however you want and they’re almost guaranteed to taste amazing, but even if you keep it simple they’re still delicious.

As you know, I can become a tad obsessive with certain foods and go wayyyy overboard to a point where I can no longer look at it. In my 25 years this has yet to happen with potatoes. Why? Because I am constantly changing it up. Sometimes I go classic roasted, or curly fries or throw em’ in a potato salad. Lately I’ve been all about the Pesto Smashed variety. And by “all about” I mean everyday thanks to my friends over at The Little Potato Company who sent me an excessive amount of creamer potatoes (that are UNREAL!). This has only fuelled my addiction. I’m kind of in heaven.Grab your potato mashers cause these pesto smashed potatoes will have you craving those spuds all day long. Your new favorite potato recipe!So what accompanied these to complete my dinner trifecta? I threw some drumsticks in the slow cooker for this honey mustard variety and had a side salad that included spinach, cucumbers walnuts, apples, and a teensy bit of goat’s cheese. Which I then proceeded to eat for dinner for the next 3 nights since I had no shortage of these adorable Something Blue potatoes and C was not in town to respectfully request that I feed him something besides potatoes.

No, I’m not making up eating the same thing for dinner 3 nights in a row and I’m definitely not exaggerating my love of potatoes. This is my life, baked, broiled and topped with pesto perfection.

Pesto Smashed Potatoes

Cook Time 30 mins
Serves 4-6     adjust servings

• 1.5 lbs of creamer potatoes (I Used The Little Potato Company Purple Potatoes)
  • 1 T olive oil
  • 1/2 tsp sea salt

For the Pesto

• 1 cup of basil, packed
  • 3 T olive oil
  • 2 T nutritional yeast (or parmesan if not dairy-free)
  • 2 T walnuts
  • 2 garlic cloves, minced
  • 1/2 tsp sea salt
  • 3 T water

1. Bring a large pot of water to a boil.
  2. Add potatoes and cook for 12-15 minutes or until tender when pierced with a fork.
  3. Strain and let sit for 10 mins.
  4. Preheat oven to broil.
  5. Place potatoes on a baking sheet and flatten with a fork and the palm of your hand.
  6. Drizzle potatoes with 1 tablespoon of olive oil and sprinkle with 1/2 tsp of sea salt.
  7. Bake for 5 minutes on the top rack.
  8. Remove from oven and carefully flip.
  9. Bake for another 3 minutes.

For the Pesto:

1. Combine all ingredients in a blender or food processor and process until well combined. Add water if you want a thinner consistency.
  2. Drizzle pesto over potatoes and serve.
  3. Will keep for several days in the refrigerator.

Grab your potato mashers cause these pesto smashed potatoes will have you craving those spuds all day long. Your new favorite potato recipe!Disclaimer: I was provided with free samples of The Little Potato Company’s creamer potatoes. However, I was not compensated and all opinions are my own. I just really love potatoes!

What do your typical dinners look like? Do you love potatoes as much as I do? Not possible.

December 16, 2014 at 5:45 am

Best post of December ever. I can already envision Meg whipping her hair back and forth. You, me and Meg are the biggest white spud fans out there. Our dinners are pretty much the same and the preferred carb choice is ALWAYS potatoes. The fact that these have pesto too (haha remember that comment). Even better.
    Arman @ thebigmansworld recently posted…Baked Falafel Muffins (Vegan)

Tina muir
    December 16, 2014 at 6:22 am

Davida, this sounds delicious, exactly the kind of side I would eat right up. Steve LOVES potatoes, so he would be happy too! I love them to be crispy like you, and what a perfect dressing for them!!
    Tina muir recently posted…Chocolate Covered Anything Day with Balance Bar

erin @ The Almond Eater
    December 16, 2014 at 7:29 am

Gahhh I love potatoes.. I really, really love potatoes. PLUS pesto…yes. Typical dinners=meat+side+veggie. Last night was tilapia, rice and kale. Kinda random, but it works!
    erin @ The Almond Eater recently posted…Peppermint Bark and a Birthday

Liz @ I Heart Vegetables
    December 16, 2014 at 7:34 am

This is a genius dinner idea! I’m keeping a jar of pesto on hand for the craziness of the holiday season! this would be a perfect side dish for any meal!
    Liz @ I Heart Vegetables recently posted…Easy Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins

Lauren @ The Bikini Experiment
    December 16, 2014 at 8:36 am

These potatoes look great! Different sweet potatoes are a favorite for me at dinner. I usually like those with a protein such as salmon or chicken and veggies.
    Lauren @ The Bikini Experiment recently posted…Be Lovely Giveaway

Linda@ TheFitty
    December 16, 2014 at 8:54 am

Smashed potatoes instead of mashed? 🙂

I love the unique look–like moss on a rock.
    Linda@ TheFitty recently posted…The Boy Who Brings Me Hard Boiled Eggs

Dietitian Jess
    December 16, 2014 at 10:06 am

I’m all for simplicity, especially for weeknight meals. I love the addition of pesto, yum!
    Dietitian Jess recently posted…Christmas Veggies with Homemade Italian Dressing

Michele @ paleorunningmomma
    December 16, 2014 at 11:04 am

Ooh these look delicious! I love pesto and potatoes but I’ve never had them together, I’m sure they’re meant for each other 🙂
    Michele @ paleorunningmomma recently posted…Winter Coaching Special!

December 16, 2014 at 11:53 am

These look so good! I have yet to ever make my own pesto sauce – I’m crazy. Back in the couple day the typical carb-protein-vegetable would be the norm for what I whip up for dinner, but now that that’s not the case it can literally be anything. Which is both a good and a bad thing 😉
    Sam @ Better With Sprinkles recently posted…#ABblogmeet.

Ang @ Nutty for Life
    December 16, 2014 at 1:16 pm

Hahah this was so cute. “I just really love potatoes!” Lol girl, me too.I used to be afraid to eat potatoes, how terrible is that?! I eat them almost once a day now, depending. I am always running low on time it seems, so I just pop them in the micro and put olive oil and salt on mine. Maybe if I have a minute I’ll make the pesto next time 😉
    Ang @ Nutty for Life recently posted…My Experience as a Girls on the Run Coach

Kelly @ Kelly Runs For Food
    December 16, 2014 at 2:23 pm

I do love potatoes. I’ve got some sitting under a pot roast in the crock pot right now, waiting for me to come home to them. I also have no problem eating the same meal over and over, especially if it saves me from having to cook every night!
    Kelly @ Kelly Runs For Food recently posted…A housewarming weekend with family

Alysia @ Slim Sanity
    December 16, 2014 at 2:38 pm

I honestly think it is possible. Because, I’m pretty sure I doooo! Our typical dinners are very similar, a carb, protein and veggie/salad. Or just a GIGANTIC salad with lots of chicken, beans and veggies. We eat the same thing a couple nights a week – because leftovers are awesome.
    Alysia @ Slim Sanity recently posted…Creole Black Bean Dip

Dani @ DaniCaliforniaCooks
    December 16, 2014 at 3:09 pm

I agree!! Some of my favorite fellow food blogger posts to read are along the lines of “this is everything I stuffed in my face this weekend”
    Dani @ DaniCaliforniaCooks recently posted…Paleo Almond Joy Thumbprint Cookies

Ange @ Cowgirl Runs
    December 16, 2014 at 3:33 pm

Potatoes all the freaking way. I need to add these to me -ish to eat NOW list!
    Ange @ Cowgirl Runs recently posted…Tuesday Truths

Lauren
    December 16, 2014 at 4:57 pm

These photos actually made me drool. Heaven on a plate right there!
    Lauren recently posted…Sweet Hemp Loaf

Miss Polkadot
    December 16, 2014 at 6:21 pm

Potatoes – you know I have a soft spot for them in my heart. It’s inborn. Boiled potatoes, some butter, salt – simple meal perfection. Well, okay, it was when I was a child. Now I’d need to add a pile of vegetables and some legumes but it’s still a quick no-stress option with a side salad for my mum. I need to show her your recipe and then request she makes it for us. Because that’s true laziness ;).
    Miss Polkadot recently posted…The other kind of peanut butter [+ Frozen Crunchy Peanut Protein Bites]

Les | Balanced Berry
    December 16, 2014 at 10:22 pm

I am quite possibly the nosiest person when it comes to wanting to know what others are eating. It’s just so darn interesting!

These look incredible – pesto + potatoes are a match made in heaven. Although, potatoes and pretty much anything are a match made in heaven 😉
    Les | Balanced Berry recently posted…Crockpot White Chicken Chili

Alison @ Daily Moves and Grooves
    December 17, 2014 at 12:20 am

I can only imagine how amazing CREAMER potatoes are. Holy smoke these look fantastic. I do love me some crispy on the outside, soft on the inside spuds. Simple yet so satisfying!
    Alison @ Daily Moves and Grooves recently posted…Hashtagging the Weekend

December 17, 2014 at 1:27 am

Oooh awesome idea combining pesto and potatoes! I’ve never tried it but I definitely need to.
    Nicole @ Foodie Loves Fitness recently posted…Apple, Pecan & Dried Cherry Salad + My Wine Cork Wreath

December 17, 2014 at 8:50 am

I love potatoes too. I went through a huge potato phase when I was around 13 and my parents always joked that I must have some secret Irish background. Great idea to pair them with pesto!
    Chelsea @ Chelsea’s Healthy Kitchen recently posted…Orange cranberry energy balls

Christina @ The Beautiful Balance
    December 17, 2014 at 10:28 am

I make smashed golden potatoes probably once a week, my boyfriend and I can not get enough! Definitely smothering them with pesto next week! Pinned 🙂
    Christina @ The Beautiful Balance recently posted…Micronutrients: Vitamin D

December 17, 2014 at 3:25 pm

YUM!!! I love smashed potatoes and the thought of adding pesto to them makes them sound even better!!!
    Kim recently posted…My Year of Running 2014

December 20, 2014 at 11:45 am

You married two of my greatest loves in one place: potatoes and pesto. Nicely done my friend.

December 21, 2014 at 9:12 pm

My typical dinner is usually pretty sad in a sense – huge salad with whatever is in the fridge and then maybe some sweet potato with nut butter. I eat the same things allll the time so no shame 🙂 xoxo
    Cassie recently posted…Now Trending – Best Links Week of 12.15